PDA

View Full Version : Followers...Really?

MagellanD
05-06-2013, 11:32 AM
I've read a few posts from people wishing there was followers in later iterations of the game.

I may ruffle a few feathers with my OPINION here but this is defiance. Are you taking acid while playing this game and want puffy little dragons following you around?

In the show you don't really see anyone with animal followers.
I don't expect Hellbugs to be trained as pets.

What do you want little CATs and DOGs following you around? Do you honestly think a POW following you around makes you look that much tougher?

I think that will take this game down the cartoony path and this is attempting to be a mature shooter.

If you really want followers play WoW. I just don't believe that is something that fits in this universe at all!
This has got to be the most waste of Trions time to grow this game.

I agree with Clan/Faction houses and main towns. Personal Storage and Clan storage. These things make sense.

I personally will keep kicking my follower if they're added to the game.

jaymee82
05-06-2013, 11:33 AM
if we get to choose, I want a dark matter sniper to follow me round, those ****ers are the shizz

Pyth
05-06-2013, 11:35 AM
I don't see anything wrong with more options in a game. Those who want them can take advantage of them. Those who don't, don't have to.

Grit
05-06-2013, 11:35 AM
I want a Dwarf or a Red Panda... I'll call him.. RUMBLE BELLY!!!

Zugo
05-06-2013, 11:36 AM
if we get to choose, I want a dark matter sniper to follow me round, those ****ers are the shizz

LOL, yeah but how do you keep that sucker from agro'ing everything in a one mile radius?

jaymee82
05-06-2013, 11:38 AM
he can agro all he wants, he has cloak, I have my challenger and cloak

RazErCool
05-06-2013, 11:39 AM
I will only be up for it if i can shoot other players followers. Would like to snipe that dwarf. Smaller targets are more of a challenge.

Zugo
05-06-2013, 11:39 AM
I want a hellbug Matron and the ability to ride it as a combat mount.

jaymee82
05-06-2013, 11:42 AM
do you think if they every did allow companions, if they would considering redesigning a scrapper into a transforming follower/mount? that would be awesome, I know it wont happen, but its nice to dream :)

Grit
05-06-2013, 11:42 AM
I doubt they'll put followers in and if they're anything like the NPCs in combat...we're screwed lol.

kinda wish that the NPCs would be somewhat able to revive you when ya go down...meh no biggy but it woulda made some of the missions less annoying at times

Pyth
05-06-2013, 11:43 AM
I will only be up for it if i can shoot other players followers. Would like to snipe that dwarf. Smaller targets are more of a challenge.
What you got against Rumble Belly?

Dude is a bro and a gent. Not to mention he has the finest beard in all the Bay Area.

MagellanD
05-06-2013, 11:43 AM
I don't see anything wrong with more options in a game. Those who want them can take advantage of them. Those who don't, don't have to.

Neither do I but C'mon something that makes sense.
I could be persuaded to change my mind if Kenya was my follower though....

REiiGN15
05-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Followers would be actually great for this because you could create a buddy dynamic like Irisa and Nolan. It's very SWTOR but that was great that SWTOR created that. However, once you group up with four others, the followers go away.

Grit
05-06-2013, 11:48 AM
Rumble Belly The Dwarf > all, i mean his full name is Clerence Von Beauregard Esquire VII.... but i call him RUMBLE BELLY!!! hahaha

yeah i lost my mind a long time ago...

i'd rather Kenya just have her bar so i could go hang out there :D

RevJynxed
05-06-2013, 11:50 AM
I've read a few posts from people wishing there was followers in later iterations of the game.

I may ruffle a few feathers with my OPINION here but this is defiance. Are you taking acid while playing this game and want puffy little dragons following you around?

What do you want little CATs and DOGs following you around? Do you honestly think a POW following you around makes you look that much tougher?

I think that will take this game down the cartoony path and this is attempting to be a mature shooter.

If you really want followers play WoW. I just don't believe that is something that fits in this universe at all!

I agree with Clan/Faction houses and main towns. Personal Storage and Clan storage. These things make sense.

But Nolan has a pet Irathient... :p

MagellanD
05-06-2013, 11:51 AM
But Nolan has a pet Irathient... :p
And we have useless Cass.

Grit
05-06-2013, 11:52 AM
if you guys like followers..

Dragon's Dogma has a great "pawn system." man i love that game haha

RevJynxed
05-06-2013, 11:53 AM
I want a Dwarf or a Red Panda... I'll call him.. RUMBLE BELLY!!!

"Rumble Belly" was Regis, the halfling. Bruenor Battlehammer the dwarf named him such.

/nerd mode off

Soobydoo
05-06-2013, 11:54 AM
Do you honestly think a POW following you around makes you look that much tougher?

I was agreeing with your post until I saw this. Now, I want an army of POWs following me, especially into PvP.

Marz Bakunin
05-06-2013, 11:55 AM

Haha, first of all if you've never tried acid your missing out bro. However, I kind of agree with you. Besides the NPCs in the game really suck. You constantly have to save them. In the last mission of the game in the section with all the turrets they run right out in front of them and get blasted to pieces in like 10 seconds. I just stopped saving them and soloed the whole thing. If that is what "followers" would be like in Defiance we are better off without them.

RevJynxed
05-06-2013, 11:55 AM
And we have useless Cass.

That girl gets around too. I see her camped out at the Crater AND at a comm tower. She is working corners all across the map.

/for the devs, shouldn't there be only ONE instance of her in a given location at a time?

Facade
05-06-2013, 11:57 AM
I really, REALLY hope they never implement pets, or if they do make them auto-despawn in combat.
Why? Because this game can already not take the amount of people it does in an Arkfall without a massive FPS drop (console wise, I haven't done many on PC) to the point that it doesn't even load the peoples actual model & sticks a bunch as default. Could you imagine how bad it would be if it had to render a pet for everyone it already has issues rendering?

MagellanD
05-06-2013, 11:58 AM
Haha, first of all if you've never tried acid your missing out bro. However, I kind of agree with you. Besides the NPCs in the game really suck. You constantly have to save them. In the last mission of the game in the section with all the turrets they run right out in front of them and get blasted to pieces in like 10 seconds. I just stopped saving them and soloed the whole thing. If that is what "followers" would be like in Defiance we are better off without them.

I can neither confirm nor deny this.

Yeah the AI sucks. As stated by somebody earlier they should revive you.

RevJynxed
05-06-2013, 11:59 AM
I was agreeing with your post until I saw this. Now, I want an army of POWs following me, especially into PvP.

http://img844.imageshack.us/img844/3918/fatherswatch.jpg

MagellanD
05-06-2013, 12:00 PM
That girl gets around too. I see her camped out at the Crater AND at a comm tower. She is working corners all across the map.

/for the devs, shouldn't there be only ONE instance of her in a given location at a time?

Easy to get her drunk, easy to take her behind the crater afterwards ;)

Knucklehead
05-06-2013, 12:12 PM
I'm so tired of pets/companions/followers/henchmen/whatever in MMO's. People running around with a horde of gremlins just gets old.

But the fact is many people want that garbage and will complain endlessly, claiming that it will save the game or bring back old players who have quit (bogus claims). I wouldn't be surprised if at some point some form of follower system is added.

MagellanD
05-06-2013, 12:16 PM
I'm so tired of pets/companions/followers/henchmen/whatever in MMO's. People running around with a horde of gremlins just gets old.

But the fact is many people want that garbage and will complain endlessly, claiming that it will save the game or bring back old players who have quit (bogus claims). I wouldn't be surprised if at some point some form of follower system is added.

For this game I hope it doesn't happen. There are tones of other MMO's they can get their follower fix on. I just don't se it fitting well in this universe. If it's implemented it'll be shoe horned in and be contrived (Much like the story missions of this game)

I like you good sir!

Corbin Zain
05-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Just to cause more lag issues, no thanks budd.

KjcKiesh
05-06-2013, 12:49 PM
I'd get myself a Monolith, ride on it's back and charge the Golden Gate bridge to have a fight with the Monolith there like some strange reincarnation of Godzilla or King Kong (you know, like big things fighting each other).
But in all serious pets have no place in this game at all, what would I get like a pow with a sack on it's back to carry all my guns?

Draaconis
05-06-2013, 12:49 PM
Meh. Down with pets as a whole I say.

MrYac
05-06-2013, 02:28 PM
I wouldn't mind pets little skitterlings that perhaps you get as a reward for a mission, you retrieve an egg and it hatches and imprints on you, or perhaps a reprogrammed 99 droid that'll follow you around.

but what I really think this game needs is some more customization options. I mean hell the look of our character is really the only thing we can change, so why are there so few options. instead of stupid full outfits why not individual pieces so not everybody ends up looking exactly the same? it's bad enough there is hardly any beginning options to make ourselves stand out, but then you get in the game and it's even harder since there are so few options for clothes (fewer that look good)

Grit
05-07-2013, 04:13 AM
"Rumble Belly" was Regis, the halfling. Bruenor Battlehammer the dwarf named him such.

/nerd mode off

haha yeah, must be where i picked the name up and totally thought it was a new thought or something in my mind. too many things inside my brain at once lol

Maximilion
05-07-2013, 05:26 AM
I'd like a follower in the game, for the single player facets of the game only though. Would be cool to have a skitterling or scrapper help out in roadside emergencies and stuff like that when playing on your own. Bit like the dog you could get in Fallout or the wolves in minecraft lol. When you go into co-op, groups or Arkfalls your follower should be left on a leash automatically so no worries about creating extra lag or FPS drops etc.

N3gativeCr33p
05-07-2013, 05:29 AM
I want a hellbug Matron and the ability to ride it as a combat mount.

Co-signed.

Kess
05-07-2013, 06:52 AM
I just want to see more actual content ... and more reasons for people to group outside of Co-Op maps.

All maps should be "Co-Op" maps ... its an MMO ... the whole thing should be Co-Op.... But instead we are forced into solo instances.

Did these guys get the memo? Do they think MMO's just mean you're all playing a single player game...on the same server?

The ONLY "Pet" that would make sense are hacked Mechs.... and that really goes back to multiplayer ... If your grouping ... you don't need "pets".

Give people a reason to group outside Co-Op maps.

killerantics
05-07-2013, 02:37 PM

In the TV series you see some people have man servants/body guards i think it would be a good idea, so long as they contribute and arnt all OP ********

Brock 5amson
05-07-2013, 02:39 PM
I just want a dog to follow me around. Is that so hard to ask for? and be able to name him too... Fluffy!

OIO
05-07-2013, 02:40 PM
A small monkey, and I will call him Hu flung Pu.

Midori Oku
05-07-2013, 03:00 PM
I want a pet Bulwark! :3

MagellanD
05-07-2013, 03:11 PM
In the TV series you see some people have man servants/body guards i think it would be a good idea, so long as they contribute and arnt all OP ********

Isn't that what grouping with friends are for? Would this not then take the social aspect away more?

OmniDevil
05-07-2013, 04:19 PM
Isn't that what grouping with friends are for? Would this not then take the social aspect away more?

Indeed it would, which is why most, if not all, MMOs have steered away from this feature, except for Class Based MMOs (WoW, Rift, Final Fantasy, etc) where having a "'pet" is part of the class mechanic.

In a post-apocalyptic game world, this just doesn't make enough sense unless they plan on incorporating classes. I hope they never do....

MagellanD
05-07-2013, 06:57 PM
Indeed it would, which is why most, if not all, MMOs have steered away from this feature, except for Class Based MMOs (WoW, Rift, Final Fantasy, etc) where having a "'pet" is part of the class mechanic.

In a post-apocalyptic game world, this just doesn't make enough sense unless they plan on incorporating classes. I hope they never do....

Exactly. I understand what Trion is trying to do. Why they are trying a different system and mechanics on top of being a shooter MMO. I guess we're in agreement with my original message.

Keep this game different. Don't add little creatures. It'll take what seriousness is in the game out.