PDA

View Full Version : Looking to buy Def

Vorka
05-06-2013, 12:41 PM
I looked over the forum and I expect a tonne of 'dont buy game broken 2manybugzzz'
Please dont reply with **** like that..
If you think it isnt a worthwhile purchase at least explain why.
I am looking for a game that will last a fair while and played rift and enjoyed it quite alot but alot of the mmo-fps/tps out at the moment all have the 'if you buy this gun it lasts 1day unless you spend 30 on a perm gun' I dont wanna have to spend real life money to enjoy the game.
I have looked at reviews but as most came out on release I dont think they reflect the game as it is now.
I like the sound of the random arkfalls? I think they are called and I am looking for a game thats fun.
Also a little RP wouldnt do any harm either.
I am really only looking for pve/rp pvp doesnt really excite me on a tps/fps.

So is this worth a purchase?
Cheers!

Ryme
05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
You obviously want the game already. I would just advise you shop around as there are places that sell it for around $30.

ironhands
05-06-2013, 12:46 PM
I looked over the forum and I expect a tonne of 'dont buy game broken 2manybugzzz'
I am looking for a game that will last a fair while and played rift and enjoyed it quite alot but alot of the mmo-fps/tps out at the moment all have the 'if you buy this gun it lasts 1day unless you spend 30 on a perm gun' I dont wanna have to spend real life money to enjoy the game.
I have looked at reviews but as most came out on release I dont think they reflect the game as it is now.
I like the sound of the random arkfalls? I think they are called and I am looking for a game thats fun.

Cheers!

it's really cheap on greenmangaming.com right now...under 30$ with coupon code GMG30-BH67J-TILO5

Facade
05-06-2013, 12:49 PM
it's really cheap on greenmangaming.com right now...under 30$ with coupon code GMG30-BH67J-TILO5

It is definitely worth it with that deal. However with all the issues it currently has I would be lying if I said that I believe it was worth $60.

It's very fun during the beginning where everything is new.

Vorka
05-06-2013, 12:57 PM
You obviously want the game already. I would just advise you shop around as there are places that sell it for around $30.
Checking Im not wasting my money before I buy it means I obviously want it already??

I asked if it was good for pve and rp for an mmo thats not unheard of to ask before buying.

Zeliska
05-06-2013, 12:58 PM
It's a fun game that has incredible potential - both as a standalone game - and as a parallel story mechanism for the show. Unfortunately, the technical issues that the game is challenged by at this early stage of it's post-launch development...i.e. "growing pains stage" isn't being tolerated very well so it seems like this game has failed.

It hasn't failed. It hasn't met or exceeded many expectations, but I believe that it will in time. It is doing more right in a game than wrong. However, the mob feels like the wrong isn't being addressed quickly enough - so that equates to failure. I disagree. I will make that final decision probably a year from now - as I believe that is the appropriate amount of time for a developer to have worked out the hard target problems with the game, and enough time to have launched support content in DLC's.

If you can find a great deal - I would absolutely recommend the game.

Rhino
05-06-2013, 01:07 PM
To OP: The game concept is good, but the gameplay is flawed, and the game design is pretty badly broken. Depending on your play style and preferences, it could be fatally flawed for you. It's *THIS* close for me... Forget the RP side, the social interface is not functional at all.

It is fun to play, but probably not up to what you're looking for, if you want a game to pour time into.

Wolfrick_Adar
05-06-2013, 01:25 PM
I asked if it was good for pve and rp for an mmo thats not unheard of to ask before buying.
The main storyline is pretty good -- which is strictly PvE -- with a lot of variety and some nice twists. The open-world side missions (quests visible on the map given by NPCs) and "Emergencies" (essentially side missions you don't have to accept -- you just come across them and decide to help or not) are repetitive, but can provide some challenge.

"Roleplaying" is a strong word for the game... despite picking an "archetype" at the start of the game, you are either a fighter or, if you want, a healer/fighter.

While it is nice to see other people racing by on their own missions, or stopping to help you with emergencies or even going through the same quests at the same time you are, it's not much of a social game. Very little trading, chatting, etc. I think of it as if other players could stroll through your game of Grand Theft Auto -- not really part of your story, but there and able to lend a hand.

If you're the type who blows through story missions and doesn't like doing variations of the same thing over and over... or if you want your character to stand out in the world and power-up to become a god among mensch... you're better off waiting to see if the devs step it up.

Me, I'm still getting a thrill just driving down the roads, diving off my ATV to free some hostages, playing cat-and-mouse around a few trucks, and every once in awhile get pinned down only to have another Arkhunter pop up to shoot my attacker in the back. I'd love more to do, and more ways to play... but I've gotten my money's worth so far and have hope things will get even better.

DustOfDeath
05-06-2013, 01:34 PM
There is on average a Week of gameplay - rest is itsy bitsy hard pursuits and grinding for orange weapons and such for minor advantage.

But its a week.. while most games offer around 8 hours of gameplay for same money.

Nexos_Arc
05-06-2013, 03:28 PM
its mainly a shooter and Trion got the gameplay mechanics pretty right. Thats the fun part about the game. The content is relatively light compared to "standard mmo" and the social interaction goes towards 0 ... unless you have friends/ clan to play with. There is lots of potential ... but its not there yet.

Also, the loot progression is flat. I prefer that, but ... it's a matter of opinion I guess.

My personal rating is 7/10

Oh, there is a TV show as well ... so far the interaction was very thin. Only the pre-TV missions. Check it out on the SyFy webpage, in case you have not seen these.

Also OP comes in at a good time. Currently you can get Defiance at GMG (legit) for 42$ and get another 20% or 30% off depending which voucher is currently active on the site. Disclaimer: no affiliation except I bought my game there. worth the money if you ask me ;)

FizzyMyNizzy
05-06-2013, 04:55 PM

Cheers!

yes....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9-Te-DPbSE

Joe Snuffy
05-06-2013, 09:30 PM
I bought it and now wish I had not.

But my only real complaint is that I hate to play by myself. Chat sucks hard so there is not in game chat between players. There is no in game community because of the lack of chat.

I think the game is fun and would be really awesome if it had even a mediocre chat feature.

If you are more of a solo player I think you will like the game.

FizzyMyNizzy
05-07-2013, 04:00 AM
I bought it and now wish I had not.

But my only real complaint is that I hate to play by myself. Chat sucks hard do there is not in game chat between players. There is not in game community because of the lack of chat.

I think the game is fun and would be really awesome if it had even a mediocre chat feature.

If you are more of a solo player I think you will like the game.

Join a clan.

Elandriel
05-07-2013, 04:56 AM

Cheers!

My advice is to wait a few months. At least until first DLC comes out. Because otherwise you seriously risk getting disappointed.

Why?

Because right now it's not clear if it will last long.
You should not make comparison to Rift as the only thing they have in common are arkfalls/rifts. But you will not get the same satisfaction from them as you did from rifts. The only good thing about the arkfalls are other players that help you (as you are the most important person in the game :)) in closing them. Other than that it's just a shoot fest without tactics, skill or brain required. Oh, and arkfalls are probably the most social part of this MMO. And that says a lot for a game that also has co-op "dungeons" and PVP.
Cash shop is very small and not required so it's not a pay-to-play game.
There have been numerous reviews and I think the average rating Defiance got is around 6. Not very good but so very true.
Forget about RP. There is none. There is no reason to make an alt either, as there are no real differences between races or classes. This should change in future, but if it will happen this year is something even Trion doesn't know.

All of that said, the game is fun to play. It's extremely easy and does not require much effort or brain cells, so it's a good thing for half hour of mindless shooting or driving per day. Story is extremely short and content is almost non-existent, which is supposed to change as the TV series progresses, but so far what we've seen is very disappointing.

If you want immersion, you can forget about his game as it's more of a service than a game. It's a good service that offers fun and mindless shooting, but that's all there is.

alred
05-07-2013, 07:31 AM
I tend to lone wolf ir, and this game is great for that. Also you can group up and do emergencies and a few missions as a team. I haven't tried PvP yet, so I can't speak of it.

How ever, what ever you pay for the game, I think it will be worth it. Mainly because it's one price, and play as often as you want with no monthly fee.
And there will be free DLC as well as paid DLC.
And the game, so far, isn't pay to win.