PDA

View Full Version : For the folks with Kinect.

RevJynxed
05-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Would you please not use the kinect for your mic? Really, it doesn't work beyond just making a lot of extraneous noise that isn't filtered and your actual attempts at speaking through it gets washed away in the sound coming out of your TV.

Kinects cause major echo because everything you put into it is played back over the tv which is picked up by the kinect, which is played back through the tv...

Even if it's "all you have" it doesn't help and you'll just get muted anyway so save yourself the hassle and folks yelling at you to turn it off until you get a real mic. Once you've been muted folks won't bother un-muting you later to see if you have your mic fixed.

Granted, some turtle beaches have really loud mics but it isn't quite the same. We aren't hearing garbled music being blasted from the stereo, while the sound is cranked on the game, while you are sniffling snot back into your head because you can't be bothered to go blow your nose, or you're clearing the scum out of the back of your throat, crinkling the chip bag, listening to your mother make dinner in the kitchen, etc. from those mics. We get the majority of the NOISE from the kinect's area pick-up.

So please, do us and yourself a favor and mute the kinect/voice. :D

Darth_Magnum45
05-07-2013, 01:24 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. I have a kinect as well but i never use it as a mic because of the very reasons you have listed.

Zugo
05-07-2013, 01:30 PM
Here Here!

I second the notion. It was so bad last night I had to mute my headset. This lady was on there yelling at people driving over skitterlings and I was so annoyed I was about to jump in my duni and join them.

LtRobbiesan
05-07-2013, 02:03 PM
Yeah, I got flak for the kinect mic playing ME3 MP. Finally picked up a set of Turtle Beach X12 and being more or less entry level, actually a great litle set.

RevJynxed
05-07-2013, 02:18 PM
Yeah, I got flak for the kinect mic playing ME3 MP. Finally picked up a set of Turtle Beach X12 and being more or less entry level, actually a great litle set.

Those are actually decent headphones. You can connect them to a DSS module and they sound even awesome-er! :p

I have a set of x41's but traded them for the x12's with DSS. Wired doesn't give me the wireless hiss/interference pop (on the same channels as most cordless devices... really TB?) and while they aren't as beefy sounding the DSS does a great job in making the stereo very dynamic.

The only drawback with TB is their mics are very sensitive/loud so if someone is a generally loud person it makes them screamers. I wish MS would implement MIC dB boost/limiting in the dashboard so people could actually tune their mic levels.

Brock 5amson
05-07-2013, 02:25 PM
https://i.chzbgr.com/completestore/12/6/9/zU1N4NjVuUuL4eFprSB23A2.jpg

MagellanD
05-07-2013, 03:23 PM
Worse case scenario the Xbox mic is a whopping $15.
If I see a truck driver with a kinect mic I get to call you an idiot for putting your money in the wrong place.

Blackwolfe
05-07-2013, 03:25 PM
I'm getting garbled sounds from mics on pc as well, so it's definitely not just a kinect/xbox 360 issue :P

Edit: Oh, didn't realise this was in the xbox 360 section. Please dont shoot me ;)

Frantic Poet
05-07-2013, 03:36 PM
I've had this happen in other games. Quite a few users simply don't realize that the Kinect is broadcasting. Please check your Kinects!

Keltic Rage
05-07-2013, 04:47 PM
Also, if you are on mic and you walk away the kinect will switch on when your controller auto shuts off. Consider this a PSA announcement, in case any of you start surfing on your lap top and decide to make a couple of "adult minutes".

A s0t
05-07-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm getting garbled sounds from mics on pc as well, so it's definitely not just a kinect/xbox 360 issue :P

Edit: Oh, didn't realise this was in the xbox 360 section. Please dont shoot me ;)
ready, aim, fire oh wait melee does more damage

RevJynxed
05-07-2013, 04:57 PM
Also, if you are on mic and you walk away the kinect will switch on when your controller auto shuts off. Consider this a PSA announcement, in case any of you start surfing on your lap top and decide to make a couple of "adult minutes".

I tend to listen better when I hear "adult minutes" groaning by. ;)

OmniDevil
05-07-2013, 06:46 PM
I really wish more and more players would listen to this.

I don't need to hear your thug life beats dropping, nor your cradle of filth screamo. And to the kid who didn't take the trash out when he was asked (this morning around 9am PT), shame on you!

D351
05-07-2013, 07:20 PM
I didn't even know you could do this... and I have a kinect. Definitely would have predicted this would be a problem though.

Shadakine
05-07-2013, 07:30 PM
Xbox Kinect voice commands list
Here are some things you can say to Kinect:

If you want to… Say this...

1.) Go to the Home screen "Xbox go Home"

2.) Go to a Dashboard area such as Social or Games "Xbox Social" or "Xbox Games"

3.) Conduct a search via Bing “Xbox Bing …” and say what you want to search for
Note Bing voice search is currently available only in English in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.

4.) Open or close the disc tray "Xbox open tray" or "Xbox close tray"

5.) Turn off the console "Xbox Settings," "turn off," and then "yes"

------
If you can hear yourself talking through their Kinect, try saying some of the above commands. Enjoy.

A s0t
05-07-2013, 07:40 PM

2.) Go to a Dashboard area such as Social or Games "Xbox Social" or "Xbox Games"

Note Bing voice search is currently available only in English in the United States, Canada, and the United Kingdom.

------
If you can hear yourself talking through their Kinect, try saying some of the above commands. Enjoy.
EGO map ego pursuits

megatrin
05-07-2013, 07:45 PM

------

So if someone has a TB on and he yells Xbox Go Home... Will the user on the kinect get drop from the game and go to the dash board if so is this possbile be nice to force some people when their in your clan that you need to turn off the kinect or you get kick... Its to easy, you can go to a dollar store and buy a headset under 10... i bought some good wire tb from wallmart for 25 pretty good ones to replace my broke trintons plus old x11 and foxtrox ones that i have some how broke from playing too much xbox...

Shadakine
05-07-2013, 07:52 PM
Yeah it'll drop them out of the game if they don't have their Kinect voice recognition and chat correctly set up. People in Mass Effect 3 used to do this when running into Kinect users who were constantly broadcasting. It's funny when they just vanish because you're tossing out voicechats saying "Xbox open tray".

Ryan
05-07-2013, 08:28 PM
So if someone has a TB on and he yells Xbox Go Home... Will the user on the kinect get drop from the game and go to the dash board

I've never thought of this. I'll have to try it.

SHAD0WEN
05-07-2013, 09:46 PM
i turn off the chat ingame when i want to use the kinect(when i solo)

nightmare
05-07-2013, 11:17 PM
100% agree with this its so annoying go out and buy a 20 dollar mic from walmart haha

Xstriker
05-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Yeah Kinect mic = auto mute. Annoying as F&*#! Nothing but BS useless noise. Get a damn mic! lol