PDA

View Full Version : Dirty language / profanity filter

MuKi1115
01-09-2013, 04:40 AM
Hi Devs and Community,

I decided to repost an entry of mine from the "any roleplayers" thread because I believe this topic deserves its own thread to allow its discussion.
My message was:

Roleplaying and language
Hello Devs and community!

Does anyone know how the "dirty language" issue is going to be handled in Defiance?
I can still remember my time trying to roleplay an evil sith lord in SWTOR. It really hurt the immersion that I could brutally murder innocents but couldn't use foul language while doing it.
If I want to roleplay a kind of tough, grimy, independent ark hunter in Defiance I definitely need to use it aswell I'ld say...

Greets
MuKi

Soon LeslieOfWetald answered:

Agreed. Each individual player should have the option to toggle the profanity filter on and off. That way those who want to see it can, and those who don't won't have to. It seems silly to force a profanity filter on the entire player base when giving each individual a choice is entirely possible.

What is your opinion? Is that an issue that concerns you?

Greets
MuKi

MuKi1115
01-10-2013, 07:28 AM
Mh, apparently this form of censorship concerns no one... Didn't expect that though...

LeslieOfWetald
01-10-2013, 05:00 PM
Mh, apparently this form of censorship concerns no one... Didn't expect that though...

Got pushed back very quickly with all the new stress test threads popping up and such.

EL_DUD3ARINO
01-10-2013, 05:03 PM
hehe leslie. hankandjed videos are pretty legit. i like battelfield friends more though.

EL_DUD3ARINO
01-10-2013, 05:05 PM
And the profanity filter sounds like an ok idea. but i want mine to be on yet not die of an overdose due to mindless F-bombs and such.

I don't want my guy to be walking in a field and just randomly say f**k plants.

EL_DUD3ARINO
01-10-2013, 05:06 PM
Never mind. if my guy said that i would laugh pretty fricken hard.

LeslieOfWetald
01-10-2013, 05:20 PM
hehe leslie. hankandjed videos are pretty legit. i like battelfield friends more though.

Haha definitely they deserve more views. Ya I used to like BFF's more too but then D&A grew on me and I like them both the same now. There's somethin about Leslie that makes me lmao though lol. "Is there no one else?!"

LeslieOfWetald
01-10-2013, 05:30 PM
Never mind. if my guy said that i would laugh pretty fricken hard.

Haha same. I just picture some guy running up a hill to where your standing, saying "f**k plants!", then running back down the hill.

I guess you can just leave it on and then try to ignore ppl who keep spamming f bombs. It's either that or a permanent profanity filter which would suck. Perhaps they can implement a limit of cuss words per amount of time to keep ppl from spamming. Ehh, I don't care as long as we have the toggle.

MuKi1115
01-11-2013, 12:45 AM
I never had anyone spamming F bombs in any game I ever played... Maybe I'm too new to the genre...

ShadowViper
01-11-2013, 12:55 AM
Call me crazy - but since this is also a show on SyFy, can't they have the profanity filter (while on) show the "F Word" as something like "frak" from Battlestar Galactica? I'm sure everyone knew the meaning of it, and yet it was clean to use on TV. So why not do something like that within the "text" of the game world?

Most people will understand or learn the meaning of a word if we decide to keep the filter on, and it also does not take the immersion from the game. I'm sure that something like #%&($^(*^@# would make the immersion go away for most, so - how about other words and "languages" with in the game using a "made up" word that is similar, yet clean to use?

I think that is quite the possibility, to be honest.

Feydakin
01-11-2013, 12:57 AM
Optional profanity filter and an ignore user feature are pretty standard and are always a good idea. I would be surprised if Trion's stance on using profanity in game was any different for Defiance than it is for Rift. Peruse Rifts CoC; https://support.trionworlds.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/121

MuKi1115
01-11-2013, 01:04 AM
Call me crazy - but since this is also a show on SyFy, can't they have the profanity filter (while on) show the "F Word" as something like "frak" from Battlestar Galactica? I'm sure everyone knew the meaning of it, and yet it was clean to use on TV. So why not do something like that within the "text" of the game world?

Most people will understand or learn the meaning of a word if we decide to keep the filter on, and it also does not take the immersion from the game. I'm sure that something like #%&($^(*^@# would make the immersion go away for most, so - how about other words and "languages" with in the game using a "made up" word that is similar, yet clean to use?

I think that is quite the possibility, to be honest.

Mh interesting idea... Never watched BSG that much so I didn't know about frak... As I am roleplaying a character in a future setting naturally words that are used as frequently as common curses will have changed over time. Any ideas what our favorite swearwords might change to?

MuKi1115
01-11-2013, 01:08 AM
Optional profanity filter and an ignore user feature are pretty standard and are always a good idea. I would be surprised if Trion's stance on using profanity in game was any different for Defiance than it is for Rift. Peruse Rifts CoC; https://support.trionworlds.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/121

So if I understand the text in your link correctly swearwords are O.K. in Rift as long as they are not racist, sexist or real life threats. Am I right on that one?

Feydakin
01-11-2013, 01:13 AM
So if I understand the text in your link correctly swearwords are O.K. in Rift as long as they are not racist, sexist or real life threats. Am I right on that one?

As I don't work for Trion I couldn't really say. However from my experience playing Rift I've never heard of anyone being punished simply for typing profanity in chat that wasn't in some way excessive, harassing or as otherwise described in their CoC. I would probably wait for an official response before I started getting too swear-happy in the game though... ;)

Dano
01-11-2013, 01:36 AM
Well from what I see in the alpha version, how can they filter profanity in the chat when the cut scenes and voice overs are full of what some would consider profanity. Would be a tad hypocritical if they did.:cool:

Feydakin
01-11-2013, 01:46 AM
Well from what I see in the alpha version, how can they filter profanity in the chat when the cut scenes and voice overs are full of what some would consider profanity. Would be a tad hypocritical if they did.:cool:

Well that's along the same lines as saying that if they have a profanity filter and user ignore feature then there would be no need to punish people that use profanity in game, when we know darn well that most MMORPGs do punish people for it regardless... Like I said, assume that it's a nono until some official word is posted otherwise, or curse at your own peril.

Subotai
04-20-2013, 07:25 AM

Game is live...no option to filter the profanity in chat...yet just about every word out of that Captain's mouth is a curse word! Which being prior military myself, I could care less...hell the game has frustrated me enough with reload bugs that I have done quite a bit of destruction by way of F-Bombs! So I myself don't get it. I mean the other day I told one of my Bro's that I was still pissed in chat and it was censored! Pissed of all words! ****ing rediculous if you ask me...wait...can I say ****ing here?! :O

*pfft*...Guess not.

Masasume
04-20-2013, 07:27 AM
Bad Necro Bad shamefur dispray

DeMoted
04-20-2013, 07:28 AM
Is this a creepy RP thread?

Lomax21
04-20-2013, 07:47 AM
This game is rated M and char's swear in the game but yet we can't? some of the stupidest words are blocked out...

How can you have guys at emergencies saying F YEA! thanx for the help but if you say damn it's blocked? WTF Trion???

DeMoted
04-20-2013, 07:50 AM
Post apocalypse war... And you say swearing kills your immersion?

Schwa
04-20-2013, 07:52 AM
Your immersion doesn't matter, and the game is rated M. There's no excuse for me not to be able to turn that filter off.

Dagbiker
04-20-2013, 07:57 AM
I bet its a Microsoft thing (Sony dosnt seem to give a frak). But I bet to get the game certified by Microsoft they had to block certan words. And the way they seem to be wanting to handeling the game, for better or worse, is keeping everything they can the same. ( because I know I have bought a console game rather then the pc version because it had diffrent features, and I have also bought the pc version because it had diffrent features )

echos
04-20-2013, 10:49 AM
in a q/a on raptr one of the devs said they will never make the filter optional, but did not say why. they owe us an explanation at least, chat filters are very annoying. :mad:

Schwa
04-20-2013, 10:51 AM
in a q/a on raptr one of the devs said they will never make the filter optional, but did not say why. they owe us an explanation at least, chat filters are very annoying. :mad:

It doesn't matter what their explanation is. They have no excuse to leave it there.

SYN BLACK XS
04-20-2013, 10:52 AM
This isnt Halo/COD, so I havent seen the need for any type of filter, especially with Area chat not working...

Kroesis
04-20-2013, 10:54 AM
Language is there. If you role play then people of that time use jek, shtacko etc...

But yes, M rated game, don't see the need to censor language.

Moonshadow Dark
04-20-2013, 10:57 AM
What the jek?

Get this Skruggin' shtako outta here!

Defy
04-20-2013, 11:24 AM
There isn't a prfanity filter in the game?

Defy
04-20-2013, 11:25 AM
Also you can't filter voice chat haha

Swarm
04-20-2013, 12:20 PM
i think the filter should be very loose. ive played some games where its a super strict filter and it was impossible to voice rage or anything. some have a temporary mute feature for spamming and others have a spam blocker where u gotta wait likem 15 sec between comments

MacDeath
04-20-2013, 12:31 PM
What the jek! Why was this shtacko thread from January necro'd?

Armitage
04-20-2013, 12:50 PM

With no one chatting, why is this an issue currently? You could always learn/use Irathient/Casti...and learn useful phrases like "gashika haigyi" and "shtako banggo". You might even learn how to find the "jemilo".

It's fun.

Tgreen
04-25-2013, 05:36 PM
What the jek! Why was this shtacko thread from January necro'd?

Because they still didn't do **** about this ****ed up piece of crap.

/edit:
Oh, crap was not ... I did not expect that.

Kgummy
04-25-2013, 05:40 PM
I think it's more the disconnect that the voice clips that the various npcs have actually 'bypass' the profanity filter.

Arsenic_Touch
04-25-2013, 05:43 PM
When NPCs can say things that you can't, there's a problem and it needs to be fixed.

Cirvante
04-26-2013, 02:09 AM
I think the ingame profanity filter is total BS. It censors words like 'damn', but I can still call someone 'idiot'. I didn't buy an 18+ game to have my sentences turned into lines of asterisks. It hurts muh immersion.

Kadirra
04-26-2013, 02:18 AM
Your immersion doesn't matter, and the game is rated M. There's no excuse for me not to be able to turn that filter off.

I don't mind if people want to feel immersed, but you have the point right there. The game is rated M. We should be able to turn that filter off.