PDA

View Full Version : Watching Defiance TV series in Europe

MuKi1115
01-09-2013, 04:54 AM
Hello Defiance Devs and Community,

if I have understood it correctly it is planned that in Defiance events of the tv show and the game will have relationships in a time dependent manner (meaning that you can feel events of the last tv-show episode like a natural catastrophy in the game...) so it would be really nice to watch the show at the same time as American viewers. I am European and currently living in Germany where US shows usually only reach our TV stations after beeing synchronised which usually takes 6-12 months.
Will there be a (maybe Ad-financed) webstream for European viewers or will illegal downloads be the only way for (not UK) Europeans to watch the show (at least approximately) on time?

Greets
MuKi

Darktide
01-09-2013, 06:06 AM
I think this show will have to follow the likes of other shows like Fringe and The Walking Dead which air a couple of days after the U.S.

The game clearly won't work otherwise.

ETD
01-09-2013, 06:07 AM
The word you're looking for is not "synchronized" but "dubbed". The first one won't make sense to a native english speaker. Don't worry though, common mistake. :D

I believe it was said somewhere that we would be able to watch it on the SyFy website, but if i go and try to watch any of the videos there (even making-of-s and stuff like that) i am told that the service is not available in my country. Quite annoying. Would be great if someone who actually knows could let us know though.

Fiancee
01-09-2013, 06:08 AM
Well, this is MMO, I wouldnt be surprised if you can look it via your game launcher or at least send it to your email.

Grudgebearer
01-09-2013, 06:27 AM
Shows like walking dead and game of thrones air one day after in UK, so there shouldn't be too much of a delay in terms of synching games and show worldwide, or at least in the UK

T3CHN01R
01-09-2013, 02:22 PM
I doubt it'll air in UK/Europe for a while. The UK SyFy channel is totally different than the US. For world changing events, I'm going to guess there will be a short intro video when you boot up the game after the show has aired to bring people up to speed to what happened. Nobody knows though. Guess we will have to wait until April to find out.

Syberchip
01-09-2013, 06:31 PM
Yeah this is interesting. Didn't SyFy air some shows in Canada before the U.S. in the past, such as Atlantis? Wonder how that's all going to work out.

MuKi1115
01-10-2013, 03:11 AM
Shows like walking dead and game of thrones air one day after in UK, so there shouldn't be too much of a delay in terms of synching games and show worldwide, or at least in the UK

Yeah that might be true but it won't help people living in Germany. The only chances we will have will be to use an UK-proxy (usually quite cumbersome in activation and slow in speed...) or TPB.
I would be sorry if I had to use it in this case though as I don't mind supporting a show/game I like by watching a couple of ads...

eskimoletdinov
01-10-2013, 05:52 AM
anyone else think Xbox (can you tell im an xbox gamer?) should sort out a SyFy dashboards channel app?

Fiancee
01-10-2013, 05:54 AM
Why on Earth they want to do that... Internet uses one format.. TV-show is TV-show even its in the internet.

Siphaed
01-10-2013, 08:48 AM
Not to be mean and all, but since Europe has Americans waiting 6 months for a new episode of Merlin or Dr. Who, I would expect the same treatment backwards in that Europeans have to wait 6 months for episodes of our shows. I have a guildmate in the UK that explained it's because they pay tax or advertisement or whatever for those shows and that's why their unavailable to US for the period of time. However, same can be said for our shows (Defiance) in that we Americans pay cable bills and so on to fund the show's running here prior to it being "free" to Europeans.

Mushy
01-10-2013, 09:21 AM
Not to be mean and all, but since Europe has Americans waiting 6 months for a new episode of Merlin or Dr. Who, I would expect the same treatment backwards in that Europeans have to wait 6 months for episodes of our shows. I have a guildmate in the UK that explained it's because they pay tax or advertisement or whatever for those shows and that's why their unavailable to US for the period of time. However, same can be said for our shows (Defiance) in that we Americans pay cable bills and so on to fund the show's running here prior to it being "free" to Europeans.

No need to worry Merlin got canceled even tho it had 7 million viewers each week in favour of crappy reality TV. :p

Mushy
01-10-2013, 09:37 AM
Also forgot to add, I asked about EU/UK date on Facebook pm & got a very quick response telling me that we will be seeing the info closer to the release date which leads me to believe we will most likely get the show a few days or a week after the US showing.

MuKi1115
01-10-2013, 02:45 PM

God all this greedy restriction based money making sh** is so stupid and totally pointless as it only makes illegal downloading that much more attractive. If TV stations and the movie industry want to survive they will have to change and develope new business models that are comfortable, work on a global scale and still allow them to make money.
If they don't they'll be eaten alive by the internet...

Nexpes
01-11-2013, 11:00 AM

We have Game of Thrones and The Walking Dead on tv in my country now (after 1+ year it has been released in the US) and we don't even get to see BBC shows if we don't have digital tv, where BBC is limited available.
Oh and did I mentioned I live in Europe?

Duncan
01-11-2013, 11:11 AM
I have discovered some years ago that TV shows of all kinds around the world air universally right after they are broadcasted on websites like The Pirate Bay, KAT and ISOHUNT.

Traditional television networks (with all due respect to Syfy and any others) that make you wait often seasons before bringing something across the pond and don't give you any choice at what exact time you want to enjoy your entertainment are archaic and soooo last century.

Grim
01-11-2013, 02:13 PM
well as long is there is no region blocks ill happily tune in to the US versions

Redus
01-11-2013, 03:35 PM
I doubt it'll air in UK/Europe for a while. The UK SyFy channel is totally different than the US. For world changing events, I'm going to guess there will be a short intro video when you boot up the game after the show has aired to bring people up to speed to what happened. Nobody knows though. Guess we will have to wait until April to find out.

Well I do not believe you need to see the series. In fact it might even be more fun not to. You might understand more from your character point of view as he does not know the events that happen in the series....now I would love to have the series here asap...it seems to be awesome.

My hope is that either the local Syfy channels will have the series the same day or that there will be a digital version especially for the regions that have a Syfy channel. I would not even mind paying 5 euro's extra for it ;)