PDA

View Full Version : level 10 sawed off shotgun REALLY!!

jalbright1979
05-08-2013, 07:09 AM
Anyone have any tips to make this go faster....locations....certian gun that reloads alot faster..help!

littlejay
05-08-2013, 07:14 AM
Get yourself a solo session with the hulker in San Quinton. 3 runs of that area got me from 9-10 on BGMs.

Thr0nes
05-08-2013, 07:15 AM
Stock up on couriers, and use the perk that gives +30% damage for explosions that hit multiple targets. Then do a bunch of Co-op maps. Leveling it up to 10 actually made me like Sawed-off Shotguns.

Lowlif3r
05-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Use a VBI Courier. (Fires sticky grenades). It's a Sawed Off Shotgun.

Go to an area or coop with alot of mobs. (Island of the Lost is my favourite, hellbug splatter)

It will level up very fast since you get xp based on damage done.

katori00
05-08-2013, 07:23 AM
Sawed off shotgun was a pain at first. Now I solo areas with it. Just get a really good shield and lvl it up. Mine 99 isn't a bad area to Lvl it up at.

blurps
05-08-2013, 07:29 AM
1. Equip two Nano Fraggers
2. Equip the "Preparedness" perk ( I think that's what it's called, the one regenerating ammo on the stowed weapon )
3. Equip the perk that gives you +75% damage after knockback
3. Run the co ops in mines/tunnels
4. Get in the mobs' faces
5. $$$

After punching mobs in the face even most elites will die in one shot, thanks to the damage bonus on knockback. The regenerating ammo will cut down on your reload times drastically.

5000 kills with the mostly terrible combat shotguns is much worse imo.

lonewolfx
05-08-2013, 07:33 AM
go to the hulker as stated by littlejay but get yourself a couple of VOT nano fragger shotguns they hit hard as hell which means it will be faster, took me a couple of runs but i still consider it fast

its like 1/2 - 3/4 exp (based on mine with 1m exp) on each weapon a run and each lv requires like 1,2m exp

cusman
05-08-2013, 07:34 AM
2. Equip the "Preparedness" perk ( I think that's what it's called, the one regenerating ammo on the stowed weapon )
5. $$$

After punching mobs in the face even most elites will die in one shot, thanks to the damage bonus on knockback. The regenerating ammo will cut down on your reload times drastically.

I got to level 10 on sawed off shotguns naturally... but I had to grind for the 5000 Combat Shotgun kills. Some of the Combat Shotguns are nice, but the Sawed-Off Shotguns like Nano Fragger and Courier are fantastic. I used it as my primary weapon in PvP a lot.

FattyMcG33
05-08-2013, 07:38 AM

It's not that bad, just use the auto-fraggers (I think that's what they're called) and do the skitterling emergencies. With 3 shots in quick succession per trigger pull, can usually kill 2-3 each trigger pull. Still takes time, but not as bad as I thought it would be.

littlejay
05-08-2013, 07:46 AM
5k kills with combat shottys are easy with the infinite skitterling spawn at that one mine. 5k kills with semi auto snipers I do not look forward to.

Dwane
05-08-2013, 07:59 AM
Prepardeness perk is close to useless with sawes shotguns. Overcharge + faster reloadwhile overcharge active perk + 15% ego power recharge on full reload perk is core, then go to San Fran and do scrappers emergencies, it goes pretty fast if u can aim for critzones (especially forges eye).

Denim Samurai
05-08-2013, 08:01 AM
get intimidation level 3.

punch mob in face

shoot mob in face

repeat until room is dead

Dwane
05-08-2013, 08:17 AM

Its actually way faster then grinding sawed shotguns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM417RjPlC8

TravelerX1
05-08-2013, 08:23 AM
I finished mine with Couriers, Overcharge, The +30% Multi Kill Perk, and other perks to extend overcharge. There is a great place just north of the Bug N Chug (Head First Crater) were you can bait hellbugs (ALOT OF THEM) to come after you. Fire a shot with the courier, hit EGO for an instant reload, fire into the crowd again. You will be surprised how has that level climbs.

When you have killed everything, fast travel to somewhere, go back to B&C, rinse and repeat. There are also 2-3 scrapper emergencies in the area. Hit the forges for some more easy points.

Viryu
05-08-2013, 08:23 AM
Its actually way faster then grinding sawed shotguns.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM417RjPlC8

Where's is that on the map?

Razor
05-08-2013, 08:27 AM
Stock up on couriers, and use the perk that gives +30% damage for explosions that hit multiple targets. Then do a bunch of Co-op maps. Leveling it up to 10 actually made me like Sawed-off Shotguns.

Nice tip! Thanks

AZAG0TH
05-08-2013, 08:29 AM
Where's is that on the map?

I'd like to know as well...

Jackobite
05-08-2013, 08:34 AM
Fraggers are good I have two, one 20 mag and the other 15, I try to use Preperdness to reload one fragger while I have the other out but its just not working well,
when it works its fantastic I can fully reload the stored one in around 10 seconds but all too often I switch weapons when its empty wait and when I switch back its still empty :(

Good tip to use couriers for sawn-off, didnt know that, ill be stocking them up now.

TravelerX1
05-08-2013, 08:35 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FzhHSc2YA1I
Big Stone Reach

Ryme
05-08-2013, 08:46 AM
imho, Couriers are the only sawed-off worth holding onto. This is soley due to the fact that they have the shortest reload time of all sawed-offs. You don't even need to AOE grind them like you would a grenade or rocket launcher, as you have enough reserve ammo to use it as a regular primary just driving around the map.

Steppdaddy
05-08-2013, 09:06 AM

Actually, with the same setup that you used the nano fraggers- combat goes incredibly fast because every other shot staggers and gives you that huge damage bonus.

Drake Payne
05-11-2013, 12:03 AM
Anyone got some spare Sawed offs ._.?

jandraelune
07-07-2013, 11:11 AM
Pump Shotgun = Fragger. No spread (still pellts but homing), fast reload, rapid fire.
Combat Shotgun = Cluster Shot, Fires a Nade with same damage as GL, but with Combat SG's ammo clip and fire rate and reload speed.
^^^^^ These two are REALLY OP. Easy top damage.

=.= Haven't found a decent Sawed Off yet. so many that are one shot, reload forever, and one shot again. And ALWAYS need to shove the thing in the target MOUTH to be useful.

Dist0rt3d Hum0r
07-07-2013, 11:35 AM
5. $$$

Add cloak and Shadowed Strike to that for an additional +30% for a total of +105%. :)

dominad
07-07-2013, 12:45 PM
it is not that bad really go do the final defiance mission at alpha point and just run round one side of a vehicle shoot and other side - repeat.
I also just ran through co op maps with it and with the hulker I got it to level 10 fast because of the critical hits. The bmg is the worst.

Indra Echo
07-07-2013, 12:54 PM
it is not that bad really go do the final defiance mission at alpha point and just run round one side of a vehicle shoot and other side - repeat.
I also just ran through co op maps with it and with the hulker I got it to level 10 fast because of the critical hits. The bmg is the worst.

Agree completely even though the BMG has two uses that give you xp it takes far longer than sawed offs. I used Couriers and went to my favorite key farming location-Horseshoe Bay. Kill lots of raiders and a big mutie, get lots of stuff and two keys if you do it solo-less sometimes if others are there. And I did coops like Motherlode (longer ones) and forced myself to rely mainly on the Courier though I had a detonator for back up.

On to combat SGs and more work on snipers. I think the worst will be the bolt sniper kills-I can only do so much Bolinas Sniper things. So I'm forcing myself to try and rely on my bolter for mob kills unless I get overrun.

WhiteGoblin
07-07-2013, 02:56 PM

That spot with a bunch of Couriers is probably the fastest way. It's also what got me hooked on sawed-off (hated them before). I then decided to kill Nim using a good modded Courier.... it was a blast. =D

dominad
07-07-2013, 05:36 PM
Yea the sawn off destroys the dark matter I got those fast. I am on the bolt action ills now the only pursuit I need to get every combat one :( I am at 3800 to go and snipe rifles are not registering crit dmg AHHHHHHH

CEOIII
08-05-2013, 10:20 PM
On to combat SGs and more work on snipers. I think the worst will be the bolt sniper kills-I can only do so much Bolinas Sniper things. So I'm forcing myself to try and rely on my bolter for mob kills unless I get overrun.

Word of advice on the sniper kills: San Francisco, Nob Hill. There's a "save Echelon mercs from Dark Matter" recurring instance that's perfect. (The mercs keep drawing aggro off of you, letting you patiently pick off the DMs.) Two Bulwarks at the end, but Cloak when they start shooting at you and let the mercs get their attention again. Once that instance is done, cross the Bay Bridge nearby to the Dark Matter base and do that instance. (Again, the 3 disguised Dark Matter guys keep drawing aggro.) And again, 2 bulwarks at the end, and again, let your buddies keep their attention. Back and forth between those two instances a LOT got me level 10 semi-auto sniper rifles.

Atticus Batman
08-05-2013, 10:50 PM
5k kills with combat shottys are easy with the infinite skitterling spawn at that one mine. 5k kills with semi auto snipers I do not look forward to.

There is no 5k with semi autos. It's 5k with Bolt action sniper

InfamousBrad
08-06-2013, 01:02 AM
Use a VBI Courier. (Fires sticky grenades). It's a Sawed Off Shotgun.

Go to an area or coop with alot of mobs. (Island of the Lost is my favourite, hellbug splatter)

It will level up very fast since you get xp based on damage done.

That's a popular answer, and that's how I leveled my first character to 10 in it, but for my second character I've found a better way, at least for me: Remember that the Pursuit in question is actually called "Boomstick to the Face."

Get a FRC Sawed-Off Scattergun (http://www.defiancedata.com/weapons.php?m=115), and try to get one with a reload-speed bonus.
Mod the magazine for even more reload bonus, you can pretty easily get even a green one down to 1.4 second recharge. Mod the stock for melee damage.
Equip Blur (also needed for the same Pursuit) plus the perks Sonic Strike, Endurance Runner, Second Wind, and Intimidation (plus any others of your choosing).
Run (or if it's up, Blur) up to an enemy and melee them in the face. While they're flinching, fire the shotgun for unholy damage. If they're still vertical but with a sliver of health, melee them again. If they're still vertical but with substantial health, circle them (which, at that range, really cuts into their ability to damage you) for 1.4 seconds, and do it again. Repeat ad infinitum, cackling maniacally as you end up with the highest damage of everybody at the arkfall over and over again.
If you end up against enemies that absolutely have to be thinned out from range before you close in, grab a VBI CS-X Cluster Shot, an AoE "shotgun" grenade launcher that's also the only shotgun in the game that doesn't decrease in damage (fast) with range, and add the perk Preparedness. By the time you empty a magazine and a half of it, your sawed-off shotgun will have reloaded itself without you having to take a break from combat.

My experience is that the Boomstick to the Face strategy absolutely sucks for most non-arkfall content, because it's so sharply range-limited -- running into point-blank range will get you killed in the cross-fire most of the time. But it's so much fun once the mobs are thinned out a bit, or in environments with lots of obstacles, that I keep thinking about working towards Blur/SMG/Sawed-Off for my general purpose build, it feels like it would be the ultimate run-and-gun ("Aim? What's aim?") build.

GiantInMaine
08-06-2013, 01:56 AM
It's actually pretty easy with gaining weapon xp at arkfalls now just courier and hit up lots of arkfalls.

Darx
08-06-2013, 02:10 AM
InfamousBrad nailed it down. However, I prefer a slight variation of this strategy.
You also bring along a second sawed-off and Preperdness as well as Cellular Armor.

Now if a target is still standing, you don't circle it. Instead you keep knocking it with melee attacks which keeps the target stunned. After two more strikes the second sawed-off should have reloaded at least one shell. So you switch guns and lay down some justice.

Cellular Armor with 6% damage reduction doesn't sound like much but if you happen to blur around a corner and find yourself between A LOT of 9ers, it can really decide if you walk or crawl back.

Alexri
08-06-2013, 03:16 AM
Got myself a Nano Fragger with quartermaster, reload bonus, and syphon. That gun is a freaking beast! I was already at lv 10 using the Courier, now at 19, and that's just in two days of PVEing normally. It's a gun I plan on using long after hitting 20

Kibblehouse
08-06-2013, 06:32 AM
Another alternative for Leveling Sawed-Offs (appologies if its been mentioned already)

Grab a courier or two, load up the explosive perks and look for Afflicted emergencies. Afflicted have no armor and a ton of Hitpoints, great for leveling. If you want to save yourself alot of running look for the emergencies where you can hop on top of the trucks, (Gridlock and Car Trouble) Just stand on the trucks and keep blowing them up, works really well. For me it was easier than some of the other options mentioned. (plus its just fun seeing them stand there with a glowing grenade on each shoulder for a second before they blow up)

Yewa
08-06-2013, 06:47 AM
nice strategies here. I leveled mine naturally because I discovered the unique pleasure of shooting things in the face with a sawed-off shotgun when I started using it.

Alexri
08-06-2013, 07:46 AM
Grab a courier or two, load up the explosive perks

Only rocket launchers, grenades, and detonators count for anything that is "on explosive kill". The courier, nortstar flare, clustershot don't count. Simplest way of confirming this for any nonbelievers is to try the perk that reloads stuff on explosive kill and you'll quickly see for yourselves

Maitreakow
08-06-2013, 07:51 AM
Only rocket launchers, grenades, and detonators count for anything that is "on explosive kill". The courier, nortstar flare, clustershot don't count. Simplest way of confirming this for any nonbelievers is to try the perk that reloads stuff on explosive kill and you'll quickly see for yourselves

I believe it was shown that while the reload perks do not apply to the Courier, the one for extra damage with multiple enemies (Deadly Cascade) does. It is how I get OHK on a Cerberus, as long as there aren't 2 riders with extra vehicle health perks (Hell on Wheels)...

ncanning
08-06-2013, 08:13 AM
When I first started this game I played nothing but Bolt Action Sniper Rifles and Sawed Off Shot Guns, just my kind of weapons and play style.

To lvl the sawed off I would recommend cloak, shadow strike, and anything that extends your ego. (Time out, Killing spree, Infiltration, Shadow's Core, etc) it's important to go fully ego extend or fully ego recharge, I prefer fully extend.

Then you are pretty much an invisible 1 shot assassin that kill anything with any sawed off on one shot and clear whole missions without ever taking a hit, or ever being visible.

Alexri
08-06-2013, 08:48 AM
I believe it was shown that while the reload perks do not apply to the Courier, the one for extra damage with multiple enemies (Deadly Cascade) does.

I see nothing that supports this from equipping a courier, that perk, and doing a few zombie emergencies

Gravi7y
08-06-2013, 09:04 AM
Using a courier at big stone reach is by far the fastest way.

While only detonators, rockets and grenades count toward explosive kills. Couriers, cluster shots and northstar flair guns do benefit from deadly cascade.

Jay Common
08-06-2013, 09:06 AM
Anyone have any tips to make this go faster....locations....certian gun that reloads alot faster..help!

wait until sieges come back. buy some skill boosts and do sieges all weekend. that is, of course, if infected sieges come back, specifically the one at Kenn Farm which spawns hulkers.

either way hulkers are the way to go

Mowazzy
08-06-2013, 09:10 AM
lv 20
spammed the hulker at san quentin over a weekend, no skill boost.
co-ops are good but other may kill your mobs

jazz
08-06-2013, 09:21 AM
I used twin couriers overcharge/deadly cascade running around and doing all the afflicted emergencies I could find to get to lvl 10 quickly, I haven't played in awhile so I am not sure if the afflicted emergencies are still spawning in the game though

M0G
08-06-2013, 09:21 AM
use couriers.

You need no other advice.

M0G
08-06-2013, 09:22 AM
I used twin couriers overcharge/deadly cascade running around and doing all the afflicted emergencies I could find to get to lvl 10 quickly, I haven't played in awhile so I am not sure if the afflicted emergencies are still spawning in the game though

Yup.

One of the easiest things to lvl in game man.....was my 2nd maxed out skill