PDA

View Full Version : Concerns, Just me?

trixsterjl
05-08-2013, 08:59 AM
I've been in the game for 2 days maybe 12 or so hours of play, and I kind of wonder about:
1. The size of the word that was released. MMO's generally release with a large game world to explore. As far as i can tell the world is about the size of 2 game zone in any other MMO.
2. Bugs:
a. I randomly become headless. (fixed by taking hat on and off i think)
b. I see 1 male char model in most large battles.
c. Dead instance when zoning in.
d. Arkfalls that dont finish, become invulerable.
3. Voice is on by default when entering PvP the first time. I got cussed out 3 different ways for the open mic.
4. Daily quests for instance are waaay too hard to complete for a daily. 3 to 4 runs on the VBI one i did.
5. EGO too easy to get. (unless the cap is HUGE).
6. Almost zero early customization. No clue how you get different clothing atm bue everyone has 1/3 outfits unless they got one from preorder... so maybe 6 outfits.
7. weak weapons do way more damage than a lot of the stronger weapons. Not sure what's up with this one.
a. based on the damage they are reporting. This may be and understanding of the weapon issue but there
is not info in the game itself on how to work say the rocket launcher that splits 5 ways by hitting reload.
8. Mainly though I think the game is going to run out of things for people to do other than PvP so with the level of content we just have an unbalance FPS with way better offerings out there that offer arena PvP.
9. The game is way complicated for the ammount of tutorial in it. Setting up builds is not really explained at all. Took 20 mins to apply my first perk and I had to look it up. Char costomization is way better than i thought because the other options on the 2nd screen are not obviously desplated at all.
Sorry at work at lunch no time to edit. Thanks for listening.

Thr0nes
05-08-2013, 09:24 AM
1. Small world, but really in most MMOs you dont go back to the first zone too often, so why make content that becomes trivialized, waste of money. Content updates will be comprised of story arc updates, regional updates (map), and equipment updates (weapons, outfits, vehicles, races). DLCs will give access to equipment updates, but regional and story will be for everyone, from what I gather.

2. yeah, bugs..
3. Open mic sucks, dampen your mic, and change the settings.
4. Really depends on instance/daily, some are very quick, others are challenges. I like challenges.
5. Cap is huge, 5k. I've been playing since day one, and am at 2k....
6. Story, pursuits, and first shop grant/sell clothing, as well as your initial background selection. Something to look forward to.
7. Weapon balance is way out of line, imho. BMGs and Infectors, do very very little damage. Rocket launchers also do little, while SAWs and auto shotguns do a $hit ton. really is about finding out what you like, and playing it. I enjoyed Pistols/Sniper Rifle for a while.
8. I dont like PvP, and that is just about all that is left for me to do... But.... I like "playing the game", most mmos, lets say Rift, have dungeons, that you grind through, kill boss, hope for a shiney new weapon, or points to buy a shiney new weapon with... well, I actualy look forward to the dungeon itself, and not the endorphin prodding reward at the end. Reminds me of an arcade game like Area 51, or WAR, or Time crisis... Repetition means I know what is around the bend and how to best deal with it. It's fun :)
9. Games now a days are getting more and more complicated, and expect players to have an unspoken understanding of how things work, or how to find out how things work. You put a kid in an empty room with a bunch of legos, and come back in an hour, and see what, if anything the kid makes. Game developers expect gamers to know how to play games, even with no tutorial or manuel.

My WoW manual is still in the original box, with out a single page turned on it.

Oh and great post btw, it's always refreshing to take a critical look at the game, and most threads that try do to that devolve into whines and rants.

Tyger
05-08-2013, 09:25 AM
I've been in the game for 2 days maybe 12 or so hours of play, and I kind of wonder about:
1. The size of the word that was released. MMO's generally release with a large game world to explore. As far as i can tell the world is about the size of 2 game zone in any other MMO.
2. Bugs:
a. I randomly become headless. (fixed by taking hat on and off i think)
b. I see 1 male char model in most large battles.
c. Dead instance when zoning in.
d. Arkfalls that dont finish, become invulerable.
3. Voice is on by default when entering PvP the first time. I got cussed out 3 different ways for the open mic.
4. Daily quests for instance are waaay too hard to complete for a daily. 3 to 4 runs on the VBI one i did.
5. EGO too easy to get. (unless the cap is HUGE).
6. Almost zero early customization. No clue how you get different clothing atm bue everyone has 1/3 outfits unless they got one from preorder... so maybe 6 outfits.
7. weak weapons do way more damage than a lot of the stronger weapons. Not sure what's up with this one.
a. based on the damage they are reporting. This may be and understanding of the weapon issue but there
is not info in the game itself on how to work say the rocket launcher that splits 5 ways by hitting reload.
8. Mainly though I think the game is going to run out of things for people to do other than PvP so with the level of content we just have an unbalance FPS with way better offerings out there that offer arena PvP.
9. The game is way complicated for the ammount of tutorial in it. Setting up builds is not really explained at all. Took 20 mins to apply my first perk and I had to look it up. Char costomization is way better than i thought because the other options on the 2nd screen are not obviously desplated at all.
Sorry at work at lunch no time to edit. Thanks for listening.

1( have you actually hopped on a roller and driven around the so-called 'tiny world?' Lemme' know how long it takes.
2( Bugs gonna' happen with any MMO. Being a vet at playing them I would think you knew that but whatev.
3( definite issue all of us want something to be done about. Atleast a PTT function so we don't all have to hear your mom screaming at you.
4( You mean a game that doesn't let you face roll the daily content... >.< Ouch. Looks like this ain't gonna' be like WoW, huh?
5( Ego cap is 5000, take your socks off if in need of extra things to count.
6( The only customization that actually matters is the weap mods you can attach. The dress up portion comes in rewards for doing mission arcs. I'm at 541 and got access to 4 different looks. Add to that all the headgear you can score for 5hundo scrip here & there.
7( It's future tech weaponry. Odds are things are gonna' be loopey and kooler than real life stuffz. Acclimate.
8( Only focusing on certian aspects and disregarding the rest is a big reason why players such as yourself tend to see a game as limp or underpolished. Just cuz' they aren't features you like doesn't mean they don't exist.
9( I prefer complicated games than the drivel that gets steamrolled out to the MMO community. One suggestion would be take an afternoon and just explore all the lil' thingers that are available to ya. The watered-down hand-holding style that some games use has done only one thing and that's creating a crap generation of players unwilling to use their grey-matter.

Ryme
05-08-2013, 09:30 AM
1) More areas will probably open up as they progress game plots. There's no point in opening up zones with no content. The bigger question is whether you will need to pay for access.

2) Yes, there are bugs.

3) Yes, chat systems suck balls.

4) Drop rate for dailies are random. Some you will get one time through, some have taken me 5 or 6.

5) What's wrong with that? Progression is mostly lateral. The only reason I couldn't drive to San Francisco when I was EGO rating 50, is because the Giant Robot has an invisible wall behind it that you can't get past.

6) Customization = Cosmetic. In non-sub games, cosmetic options is how they make money.

7) High level weapons aren't weaker, they are mostly the same. More likely you're comparing one variant to a another one. Some variants aren't as good as others, but a higher level will never be weaker than the same lower level one.

8) Because the game is tied to the TV, content is rationed out to maintain the illusion of association.

9) Yes, but looking at their interaction with the community, it's not that surprising.

theyeti
05-08-2013, 11:01 AM
Almost everything you said is spot on.
1.) The world is "large" but mostly empty space/mountains. You will do a ton of driving and see how empty it is, they tried to fill it by upping the amount of emergencies, but once you know what they look like, you will see through them into the emptyness.

2.) That is only a small sample of the bugged content. If it weren't for all the bugs, then many of us would probably have completed everything. So think of the bugs as content themselves, some (read 1 or 2) can actually be pretty fun. But you will get knocked back and get stuck in something unable to do anything, your best hope is to die, or log out.

3.) Poor decision was poor decision. It was probably something they did for the consoles and didn't care to think about pcs. Or maybe they just didn't think. But the good news is you can change your settings, most (polite) people do.

4.) Yes, getting optical implants in liberate the lost can be a pain in the ***. Try to shoot every mob there is, don't try to kill anything until you have put 1 bullet into everything around. Alternately you could be like some of the selfish players and try to kill as many mobs before anyone else shoots them as possible. This is the best way to get the quest done, and I hate people who do this. Poor design that was supposed to be fixed, it discourages group play. (every other instance I have noticed works just fine, I suspect Trion will fix this in the future....future is probably a long time though)

5.) You will find that ego rating climbs at a decent rate, then you will have a big jump when you do a few of the easy pursuits, then you will revert back to just normal grinding xp speed. I don't actively try to level, I'm around 2600 or maybe 2800, it stops mattering after you reach 6 perks, after that its fluff. My personal favorite thing about leveling up, is more inventory space.....is a that has tabs for weapon types, mod types, too much to ask for?

6.)Like Ryme said, customiztion is cosmetic. There are cash shop clothes. They are however merely different colors of the freely available clothes you can get by doing pursuits. I have maybe 14 full outfits, maybe more, you will have at least 10 by the time u finish all the quests (main mission/side quests/challenges)

7.) Different weapon types require different perks and play styles to be effective. A mass cannon or rebounder can pull some massive damage with the right perks (even without you can still do decent). If you want a cookie cutter RocketLauncher/groundpounder build search the forums for "Best Original PvE build" whether it actually is the best is up for debate, but it will most definately make u giggle the first time you clear out a horde of enemies in seconds. However the bmg doesn't really have any way of becoming a damage machine, it is a healing gun after all. I think someone said infectors not good deeps, just use the correct one with correct build and you can pull big numbers with it as well.

8.) After you finish all the quests there will be a map you know to be mostly empty, with little or nothing to do. There are the "challanges." But many people find them frustratingly hard or boringly easy, and after you complete all of them you will probably thank the stars they are over. I personally like some of the rampages because you can use them to garner kills easily and they are actually fun the first few times. The races can be incredibly frustrating, with extra time being added to your time shown because of server latency, roadblock like objects that will block your path or spawn on top of you, and because of defiances clunky driving system in general. But if you don't care about the race it can be fun, until you see you need whatever rank for a pursuit. You will tire of the coops after a few runs, they are extremely repetitive, require 0 skill, give comparatively little in the way of rewards and there are no new enemies (save 1 boss), and a few of the instances are the same romms and hallways just slapped together in a different order...Liberate the lost = Cronkite Bunker Soleptor excavation = motherload

9.) Yes the game kinda just shows you the loadout screen and thats it. Doesn't tell you about a radial menu that is made for consoles, or how to do a lot of different things. I think Ryme is the only person who understood what you meant by complicated, you shouldn't have to look up how to use a games interface, an interface should be intuitive, this games isn't, 7 clicks to salvage, 1 misclick to /gquit that is right next to join. I can't tell if tyger is a talented troll, or special.

trixsterjl
05-08-2013, 04:02 PM
Almost everything you said is spot on.
4.) Yes, getting optical implants in liberate the lost can be a pain in the ***. Try to shoot every mob there is, don't try to kill anything until you have put 1 bullet into everything around. Alternately you could be like some of the selfish players and try to kill as many mobs before anyone else shoots them as possible. This is the best way to get the quest done, and I hate people who do this. Poor design that was supposed to be fixed, it discourages group play. (every other instance I have noticed works just fine, I suspect Trion will fix this in the future....future is probably a long time though)
I went through using stringray doing almost thing but Healing shields and flashbanging and go 8. I went through using assualt rifle and shot every target got 4. the last 3 I got I wasn't even in the vacinity of the the group when the dropped 3 in a row. They are just odd. These need to be changed to a ground spawn of some kind that you can fight over clicking on. IMO.

... I really loved having to look up how to logout of the game. LOL.

Briek
05-08-2013, 04:27 PM
Was really looking forward to this, now I believe all the naysayers that warned me before... 100$ badly spent. :mad:

trixsterjl
05-08-2013, 07:39 PM
If the game had been free to download i'd be overjoyed. I just feel a bit cheated that i spent 60 dollars. This may change if new area's are free content as the story unfolds, though i'm really thinking they will be looking for 20 dollars every other month to open up new zones that should have come with the 60,100,150 dollar investment in the initial game.
On the bright side we own it and the part we have is F2P. I'll probably get the season pass when the first content comes out unless it's 9.99.

Schwa
05-08-2013, 07:44 PM
I'm certain the biggest bug of them all is QA being unable to AQ. Until that happens, the list is infinitely long.

CrYpToNiTe
05-09-2013, 02:54 AM
I'm certain the biggest bug of them all is QA being unable to AQ. Until that happens, the list is infinitely long.

QA?? Here's my impression of Trion's QAs
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-uSJ1mKUIyyQ/UGAMxzqgIgI/AAAAAAAABBU/sOow8ChV5rg/s1600/monkey_computer1-scaled1000.jpg