PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of buying...Thoughts so far?

cesmode
05-08-2013, 09:14 AM
So,
I popped into the forums here right around launch time. And I've been keeping a distant eye on it.

A little over a month after launch, how is it? Fun? Addicting? Does it have longevity? Are there things to do, or reasons to log in? I dont necessarily mean progression reasons, but are there challenges to strive toward...like defeating some big***** monster or something.

Is there any reason for me to drop the 50 or 60 bucks on the game now, or wait until its on sale again? I was thinking of waiting until it was at least 50% off...

mcwjimbo
05-08-2013, 09:15 AM
WAIT!

/10 char/

baelrusk
05-08-2013, 09:17 AM
So,
I popped into the forums here right around launch time. And I've been keeping a distant eye on it.

A little over a month after launch, how is it? Fun? Addicting? Does it have longevity? Are there things to do, or reasons to log in? I dont necessarily mean progression reasons, but are there challenges to strive toward...like defeating some big***** monster or something.

Is there any reason for me to drop the 50 or 60 bucks on the game now, or wait until its on sale again? I was thinking of waiting until it was at least 50% off...

Definitely don't buy yet.
There's tons of posts about many bugs and such so it's pointless to go into detail here.
At the very least wait until after the next "working" big patch comes out to see how much is resolved. Then see if the price will drop (hopefully it should).

But you should at least wait a little longer.

Luffy490
05-08-2013, 09:18 AM
I'd say you should wait for more content to be released.

If you plan on buying the season pass, that isn't going anywhere either.

HuntGod
05-08-2013, 09:22 AM
AS much as I enjoy playing, still, if you aren't already in the game, I would wait until they have addressed some of the bugs.

That said, there is adequate content to really keep you playing 2 weeks, maybe a month if you take your time and don't rush.

I do recommend it, but it will be a better game in a month.

Myst
05-08-2013, 09:23 AM
Agreed with everyone else despite how much time I've sinked into it and the forums at this moment I would say wait it out a bit and see what happens.

Lowlif3r
05-08-2013, 09:23 AM
I've had entertainment for a month for 60, I can't complain. Shadow war alone was worth it. You sound like you want a game like Rift or WoW with longevity, end-game and chasing your own tail in the name of progression so you might want to play those instead.

FantasyMeister
05-08-2013, 09:24 AM
I'm in the other camp, if I had the opportunity to pre-order all over again I'd take it. I'm on 360 though, and there's really nothing like this on 360 (grind with your feet up, cat on your lap, proper couch-potato Shooter-Fantasy-MMO), closest game I can think of is Red Dead Redemption's multiplayer in terms of no loading screens, feet up, and getting your mitts on a Cerberus Turreted Vehicle is roughly the equivalent of trying to take and hold the El Presidio fort and giggling as you blast players to smithereens with the cannons.

Hope499
05-08-2013, 09:30 AM
Been playing everyday since release pretty much. More content than most $60.00 games, not much else out right now as well.

Some bugs? yes.
Lacking content? Yup
Lifeless world? a bit ya...

BUT, im havin a blast, and think u should buy for sure...

shame on all of you telling him not to buy, way to support the game sheesh....

its not like its unplayable, there are a couple of issues, and it has more entertainment value than most games at the moment. There are better games out there ya, but I would recommend defiance...

cesmode
05-08-2013, 09:30 AM
I guess I'll be waiting. When is this big patch scheduled to drop? Did they give a date and approximately what will be in it?

Sollandor
05-08-2013, 09:34 AM
My dad, brother and I have it and we are enjoying the game. You can not let the bugs get you down or you will be freaking out on the forums everyday. If you get the game just enjoy it for what it is right now, and look forward to the future.

Yes there are a ton of bugs and some down servers but you can still play the game and that is the main thing, everything else is just extra.

Omnifarious Xji
05-08-2013, 09:35 AM
You'll want to wait till at LEAST the first DLC is released. Hopefully by then, most of the game breaking bugs will be ironed out.

mcwjimbo
05-08-2013, 09:37 AM
shame on all of you telling him not to buy, way to support the game sheesh....

never said to never play. just wait on tossing out $

going to predict a free trial weekend soon (much sooner than any other game has ever offered such) then the OP can make their decision

Xynnvincible
05-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Game itself:
If you like 3rd person shooters with a wide variety of weapons but also some MMO aspects (leveling up, loot, etc.) then you'd like the gameplay. One big bonus v. other MMOs is that there are no classes, so it will never be "nerf warriors, buff mages". There are lots of dynamic events, the dungeons are fast and fun, and there's lots to do. As with ANY MMO, your enjoyment of the game is probably directly related to having friends or a good clan (guild). I recommend 47th Legion (47th.info). The game allows you to teleport to friends, so we will have everyone running around to different arkfalls and secret vendors and then say in Mumble "I'm at X, teleport to me." This can make hours go by super fast. There are 2 forms of PVP, the first is your usual "everyone teleports to a bounded battleground map that's always the same and fights over objectives" and the second is a Shadow War where an area of the actual map is used for open world pvp (there are still npcs, emergencies, etc). I find both to be fun, but the first is kind of dominated by Cloak (stealth) + shotgun - basically the one shot thief backstab kind of thing. One thing that is REALLY cool is that weapons only get better in certain ways; the damage doesn't change but the little bonuses (faster reload, less recoil, etc.) get slightly better. I think it's a great balance of progression but not being useless unless you are high level.

Devs:
Lots of communication and constant small updates (~1hr of downtime every few days). These devs are the best that I've seen in any MMO so far as far as interaction with the community.

Support:
Live Support is AMAZING. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Even if I didn't like the game as much as I do, I would probably stick with it just because the support is so damn good that it makes me feel that whatever bugs or errors are in the game that they will help me past it.

In my opinion, for anyone who doesn't consume 12+ hours of new content a day this game will keep you busy in your free time. I'll emphasize again - get some friends or a good clan. IMO, an MMO is only as good as your friends.

ratt707
05-08-2013, 09:55 AM
Hard to say.

I'm glad I bought it, but there's issues with the game.

If you can deal with a rough gem then sure, overall gameplay is fun.

If you put a lot of weight in polish and performance, then run. Run away.

Lahlaos
05-08-2013, 09:56 AM
You should come and exploit the bugs while they are still here...its wonderfully fun:) Hotshot: Chickens. Equipment change bug made that possible because **** doing ti with a pistol, s'all im sayin'

Lahlaos
05-08-2013, 09:58 AM
Game itself:
If you like 3rd person shooters with a wide variety of weapons but also some MMO aspects (leveling up, loot, etc.) then you'd like the gameplay. One big bonus v. other MMOs is that there are no classes, so it will never be "nerf warriors, buff mages". There are lots of dynamic events, the dungeons are fast and fun, and there's lots to do. As with ANY MMO, your enjoyment of the game is probably directly related to having friends or a good clan (guild). I recommend 47th Legion (47th.info). The game allows you to teleport to friends, so we will have everyone running around to different arkfalls and secret vendors and then say in Mumble "I'm at X, teleport to me." This can make hours go by super fast. There are 2 forms of PVP, the first is your usual "everyone teleports to a bounded battleground map that's always the same and fights over objectives" and the second is a Shadow War where an area of the actual map is used for open world pvp (there are still npcs, emergencies, etc). I find both to be fun, but the first is kind of dominated by Cloak (stealth) + shotgun - basically the one shot thief backstab kind of thing. One thing that is REALLY cool is that weapons only get better in certain ways; the damage doesn't change but the little bonuses (faster reload, less recoil, etc.) get slightly better. I think it's a great balance of progression but not being useless unless you are high level.

Devs:
Lots of communication and constant small updates (~1hr of downtime every few days). These devs are the best that I've seen in any MMO so far as far as interaction with the community.

Support:
Live Support is AMAZING. A-M-A-Z-I-N-G. Even if I didn't like the game as much as I do, I would probably stick with it just because the support is so damn good that it makes me feel that whatever bugs or errors are in the game that they will help me past it.

In my opinion, for anyone who doesn't consume 12+ hours of new content a day this game will keep you busy in your free time. I'll emphasize again - get some friends or a good clan. IMO, an MMO is only as good as your friends.

BEST advice so far on this:) spot on in every area, support have been amazing.

Was very balanced as a post too. Kudos dude

Elandriel
05-09-2013, 12:56 AM
Devs:

Support:

You've got to be kidding about those two. Is this your first MMO? Your first experience with CS?

Arsenic_Touch
05-09-2013, 01:01 AM
You've got to be kidding about those two. Is this your first MMO? Your first experience with CS?

Yeah, I had to laugh at that one too. It's so divorced from reality that I had to reread it a few times to check if he was serious.

Multigun
05-09-2013, 01:50 AM
Game itself:

Devs:

Support:

Hard to beat that. I also +1 this one. Play with friends and/or get a good clan. Totally different experience when you play with people you enjoy spending time with.

I don't regret buying the game at all. People on the forums have been crying because they aren't the center of attention from somebody like the Community Spokesman (Sledgehammer70), but the devs have been FANTASTIC at communicating what's going on, and are quick to apologize when they know they did wrong.

Should you buy now or later is up to you of course. I say buy now, it's not like there is a monthly fee. You get to enjoy (even if they are small) the events the devs keep throwing at us when they show up. But if you buy later that's OK too. As long as you DO end up buying it, because it's totally worth it.

Jorge Peacewalker
05-09-2013, 02:00 AM
I'd say that if you've waited this long you may as well wait until the price of the game drops.

With regards to bugs the game isn't actually that bad when you consider its scale and complexity; I rarely come across bugs and when I do they're usually fairly minor.

Defiance is massively underrated game; don't believe the unfairly low scores given by many mainstream game review websites! This game has longevity and, like a fine wine, will only get better with time. I would rate the game 8 / 10 in its current form.

Riz
05-09-2013, 02:01 AM
Wether or not to buy it depends on the question 'What do i want out of this game?'

-Can you look past some bugs and glitches?
-You dont mind the server disconnecting 2-3 times a day so you have to relog?
-You dont mind a drop in framerate in crowded places?

If you do mind this, skip the rest of this post and wait till Trion fixed this and/or the game is available for a lower price.

-You want a good TPS?
-You like an open world with other ppl in it (some good and helpfull, other friggin annoying screwing Arkfalls up).
-You want to have a blast playing with friends/clanmates?
-You like a good variation of options like Time Trials, Hotshots, PvP, 4 player co-op maps?

You might actually find yourself back daily in this game, looting and upgrading. Having a great experience with good lads. For me, it was definetly worth my buck. Altho i can understand many of the complaints as well, which are legit. So the question you should ask yourself is the one that i opened the post with. What do you want out of it?

Cricket
05-09-2013, 02:04 AM
Do it, buy it! Loads of fun, unless you plan on playing 35+ hours a week you'll love this game!

MaSh_MaN94
05-09-2013, 02:14 AM
Game itself:

Devs:

Support:

Lol! this post is the complete opposite to the game.

1: Dungeons are not fast and fun in anyway whatsoever! They're easy and require no skill or teamwork to complete.
2:Lots of dynamic events? next joke. The arkfalls/emergencies are limited and there is no real variety and little too no rewards for completing them,so they're waste of time.
3:Lots too do and fun! ahaha that was the part you mentioned that really made me chuckle. If you call grinding the same arkfalls and co-op maps over and over again to obtain keys to open a lockbox that gives you a very small chance of getting anything usefull,fun! then you sir,are an idiot.
4:As for pvp. don't get me started on that complete garbage.
5:You also said there is lots of communication from the devs! that didn't make me chuckle,it had me lmfao!
6:Live support are dumb and the devs do not update them enough as to what bugs they are adding to the game xD
7:You also said get some friends or a good clan. That would help if the clan/chat channels worked properly.

I could go on forever, but you get the point.

Archeus9
05-09-2013, 02:16 AM
Id say wait for about a month, then check current reviews. forums and what not.

ArcTJ
05-09-2013, 02:23 AM
You should wait for few month, until this game is more stable.

0_d4RK_FaLLen
05-09-2013, 02:23 AM
So,

I would wait and see how it is down the road. Prices have already been dropping (can get UE at gamestop for 20 off). at this point its fun but that feeling only last as long as you can deal with fact game is nothing more than a repetitive grind. outside of main missions the side missions, hotshots, rampages, races, items are all same stuff over and over. if you do get it make sure to play with friends as it can delay the deep depression you will eventually feel after realizing game had huge potential but falls short on every aspect.

Codebreaker
05-09-2013, 02:26 AM
Do you not think that he or she may have had nothing to complain about with customer service, so he or she is satisfied with the help they have had? Just because you may not agree, doesn't mean they haven't had a good experience.

As for the OP, I've paid out well over 100+ quid on Defiance with my xbox and laptop, and I'm enjoying the game immensely. The only way to really know if your going to like the game is to buy it. Because you can't base what you might like on what others might like.:)

Yeah, I had to laugh at that one too. It's so divorced from reality that I had to reread it a few times to check if he was serious.

Dmec
05-09-2013, 03:10 AM
The combat is fun and some of the best I have seen in a mmo. The biggest problem is the lack of content. If you are a casual player it should be ok to buy the game. If you are a hardcore player you will soon get bored. In the latter case I say wait a couple of months and then check back.

EchoOne
05-09-2013, 03:12 AM
Tbh. I don`t think waiting makes much of a difference. Some more bugs may be fixed later, but that aside the game should remain more or less what it is.
I for one am perfectly happy with it, it`s one of my most played games ever.
If you expect a mmorpg you`ll likely be disappointed.
If you are looking for a fun online PvE shooter which doesn`t take itself overly serious there`s a good chance you`ll love it.

I`d say just watch some youtube vids, if you like what you see it`s probably worth the buy.