PDA

View Full Version : why are there no houses

Warlander
05-08-2013, 11:00 AM
where do people live? i think the only noticeable living structure is at two or three main areas
but even farms seem to have no houses, no settlements no real anything.
why is the world design so meh?
it feels fake, no people no houses no kids, i dunno feels wierd.

ironhands
05-08-2013, 11:04 AM
where do people live? i think the only noticeable living structure is at two or three main areas

the bay area is a wasteland. it's all 99ers, mutants, raiders and dark matter, would you want to build a home and raise a kid there?

crasher
05-08-2013, 11:06 AM
the bay area is a wasteland. it's all 99ers, mutants, raiders and dark matter, would you want to build a home and raise a kid there?

I wouldn't want to do that now.

Warlander
05-08-2013, 11:06 AM

then why are there well paved roads, massive farms, gas stations and large merchant/commerce docks, your answer does not compute, it does not fit the evidence.

*edit* lets not forget massive mines as well.
and ofcorse lots of ark hunters ;) tge world is surprisingly poorly thought out considering .

ironhands
05-08-2013, 11:11 AM
then why are there well paved roads, massive farms, gas stations and large merchant/commerce docks, your answer does not compute, it does not fit the evidence.

I wouldn't call those farms massive, i wouldn't say any of those roads are well paved; and likely old/pre-arkfall. Some docks, and industry, sure, but it's still a dangerous place to be. Industrial and commercial areas aren't very commonly the best places to setup a residence.

the gas stations support the industrial aspects. the farms, setting up wherever they can; and they're very, very dangerous, as they are constantly raided.

Ryme
05-08-2013, 11:13 AM

The paved roads and remaining structures are from before the area went to ****. I would expect most of the civilian population to be in underground celler/bunkers, with all the debris falling out of the sky.

Covington
05-08-2013, 11:14 AM
I want a trailer by the crater - if I get one... PARTY AT MY HOUSE!

SWFTWLF
05-08-2013, 11:16 AM
The housing is usually easy to explain away; most of these people are TRAVELLING to San Fran or could possibly live in the warehouses on some of the bigger farms...

The lack of kids and similar clothing, however, is sheerly a lack of talent, foresight, and continuity.

I mean hell, it rained in the Alpha/Beta and now it doesn't even do THAT anymore.

Warlander
05-08-2013, 11:16 AM
I wouldn't call those farms massive, i wouldn't say any of those roads are well paved; and likely old/pre-arkfall. Some docks, and industry, sure, but it's still a dangerous place to be. Industrial and commercial areas aren't very commonly the best places to setup a residence.

the gas stations support the industrial aspects. the farms, setting up wherever they can; and they're very, very dangerous, as they are constantly raided.

all the famrs, docks, mines, all need people and lots of people to operate, unless they all commute from the north which would be more danherous due to raiders etc.

sorry world design is lacking logic in many areas and you can try and defend it but as an artist its seriously lacking consistancy.

Epshiluss
05-08-2013, 11:17 AM
Well I think that all civilians people/space beings on earth, all hid in massive underground bunkers during the pale wars with the threat of immanent terraforming. Thes proberly only effected the surface of the planet so moving to the under ground would be best.

After the terraforming occurred, the people in the bunkers decided to wait around for the dust to settle while people who survived the terraforming like Jon and Toric just had a head start in their new surroundings. Now as a few years go by the people in the bunkers all get killed by an unexpected occurrence, the appearance of the hell bugs.

The first hell bugs found the bunkers and immediately proceeded to devour all the helpless people trapped in their own salvation. Now all the bunkers and most of the subterranean are populated by masses and masses of hell bugs from all the bunkers they have raided, now with all their subterranean food sources gone they make their first appearance on the surface. this results in a never ending battle against the hell bugs.

Oh and to answer the question that there are no houses....errr... there were no survivors that knew how to make bricks that could support the weight of a house. and all the trees became very brittle from lack of nutrients after the terrafroming.

Covington
05-08-2013, 11:19 AM
I mean hell, it rained in the Alpha/Beta and now it doesn't even do THAT anymore.

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

There will be more crashes if they activate that again.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9jt59zHtW1ql2ui0o8_r1_250.gif

Covington
05-08-2013, 11:20 AM
Well I think that all civilians people/space beings on earth, all hid in massive underground bunkers during the pale wars with the threat of immanent terraforming. Thes proberly only effected the surface of the planet so moving to the under ground would be best.

So it IS Fallout now?

Warlander
05-08-2013, 11:20 AM

After the terraforming occurred, the people in the bunkers decided to wait around for the dust to settle while people who survived the terraforming like Jon and Toric just had a head start in their new surroundings. Now as a few years go by the people in the bunkers all get killed by an unexpected occurrence, the appearance of the hell bugs.

The first hell bugs found the bunkers and immediately proceeded to devour all the helpless people trapped in their own salvation. Now all the bunkers and most of the subterranean are populated by masses and masses of hell bugs from all the bunkers they have raided, now with all their subterranean food sources gone they make their first appearance on the surface. this results in a never ending battle against the hell bugs.

Oh and to answer the question that there are no houses....errr... there were no survivors that knew how to make bricks that could support the weight of a house. and all the trees became very brittle from lack of nutrients after the terrafroming.

making up nonsense to fit the devs poor art direction doesnt help

SWFTWLF
05-08-2013, 11:21 AM
SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH....

There will be more crashes if they activate that again.

http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m9jt59zHtW1ql2ui0o8_r1_250.gif

Yeah sure that'd be the game-killer - rain on the plains.

Covington
05-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Yeah sure that'd be the game-killer - rain on the plains.

If they are having issues with FY already then I am scared if they activate Rain again... It's more important to tweet nonsense than to do actual work at Trion it seems.

baelrusk
05-08-2013, 11:24 AM
Even if it is an MMO, it's still a Shooter.
You shouldn't expect much in the way of those side details in a shooter.

HuntGod
05-08-2013, 11:26 AM
I too want like a little 1950's era guld airstream to sit down by the crater and call my own...

Then they could add things to the cash shop like pinup calendars and lava lamps to decorate it...

Covington
05-08-2013, 11:26 AM

We live in hope, after all it will help the (yes I know it isn't meant to be...)RPG side of things. I just want Housing for Storage... and a party.

ironhands
05-08-2013, 11:27 AM

the rain in FarCry 3 was a nice touch. And the rain level in L4D2 was just...wow.

The numb
05-08-2013, 11:31 AM

Same reason there are huge empty areas with absolute no content , maybe they should make this shtako a corridor shooter rather than brag about how big the empty world is... errr big? it takes less than 5 min. to traverse from one end to the other.

MrGunn2001
05-08-2013, 11:42 AM
It has to be for one of the following reasons:

Because no one ever needs to eat or sleep.
Homes were a victim of the terraforming.
Just sleep it off in your Dodge Challenger.
Raider camps are easier to find.
Everyone in the world vanishes while they are asleep.
All of the background musak keeps everyone awake.
There are no TVs, and one radio station, KTAM, and your car does not come from the factory equipped with a radio. (Maybe they will have a Dodge challenge weekend and offer an in car audio system!)
Real Estate values in northern California are too expensive for Ark Hunters to afford a home.
There are no banks to make home loans.
You can't get home owners insurance because Hell Bugs are eating your foundation.

:D

Swampster
05-08-2013, 11:52 AM
It rained in the Alpha? When did they ditch that then?.. I was in Alpha from January, and can't ever remember it raining :(

As for the area being a wasteland and there being no settlers... well we know that's simply not true.
Just 2 parts of the story I can think of quickly from the top of my head...

Going into Iron Demon Ranch, to recuse Von Back and the Ark Core.. Cooper gives this speech, about friends and children etc being in there, and their lives are secondary to recovering the ark core..

Then the raid on one of the mines, the miner gets injured by raiders.. and tells cooper there's no need to keep on sufferin' and he asks cooper to make sure someone looks after 'Susan' and 'ma boy'.. (pretty sure it was Susan anyway.. :)).

There's probably more too, that I just can't think of that would suggest settlers in the area.

ironhands
05-08-2013, 12:02 PM
As for the area being a wasteland and there being no settlers... well we know that's simply not true.
Just 2 parts of the story I can think of quickly from the top of my head...

Going into Iron Demon Ranch, to recuse Von Back and the Ark Core.. Cooper gives this speech, about friends and children etc being in there, and their lives are secondary to recovering the ark core..

Then the raid on one of the mines, the miner gets injured by raiders.. and tells cooper there's no need to keep on sufferin' and he asks cooper to make sure someone looks after 'Susan' and 'ma boy'.. (pretty sure it was Susan anyway.. :)).

There's probably more too, that I just can't think of that would suggest settlers in the area.

Some, sure, but not many, given that you can cross the map in minutes means there wouldn't be much of a drive home :P
The miner, yeah, he has a wife and child, but, where do they live? He may have moved out there for work. There are obviously some settlers there, but given them sheer number of baddies, I wouldn't expect many would want to.

Also; video games.

Skatch
05-08-2013, 12:08 PM
Do not worry! When the Earth Republic finishes the Maglev, and arrives in the Bay area they will build houses. They will bring back civilization, and you will all be better for it!

ironhands
05-08-2013, 12:12 PM
is there even a source for fresh water in the playable areas? Only possible one I've seen is crystal pond, off the top of my head, everything else is ocean, isn't it? Other than a few deep wells I guess.

Yun
05-08-2013, 12:18 PM
Homes in Defiance currently are little Shacks. Murder in Madara quest series sees you visit a little shack by a dock during the quest line. During one of the main quest lines your tasked with clearing hellbugs on a farm and one of the guys from the farm is on his roof to avoid the hellbugs.

Swampster
05-08-2013, 12:25 PM
Yeah those shacks were designed by the Timelords.. I mean how else do you explain how 10-20 raiders come pouring out of them.. :)

Bigger On The Inside... :p

ironhands
05-08-2013, 12:30 PM
Yeah those shacks were designed by the Timelords.. I mean how else do you explain how 10-20 raiders come pouring out of them.. :)

underground tunnels

Covington
05-08-2013, 12:39 PM

+1

And THIS is why I love this fandom! They took all of us from other fandoms and shook us up and out we poured! Well played Swampster!

Swampster
05-08-2013, 12:39 PM
underground tunnels

Nah, I've been inside them... there's no tunnels, besides I've seen mobs stuck inside them too... and the same principle applies to the personnel carriers, room for 4... and 20 pile out, they're raised off the ground, so definitely no tunnels. Unless of course they've applied some devilishly cunning optical camouflage to hide it...

Then again, I have fallen through the ground in places.. so perhaps they do have tunnels! :p

Blade of Souls
05-08-2013, 12:49 PM
I vote underground vaults..until they were all killed by raiders, 99ers, and such.

It would seem that just before the stratocarrier crashed, the land was just swarmed by all the baddies that now populate the map. We still have some holdouts, mostly guys that hide in their tiny shacks and only come out on occasion to sell stuff to passing-by ark hunters. Not to mention all the dead bodies.

Lone Wolf 666
01-21-2014, 12:31 PM
Do not worry! When the Earth Republic finishes the Maglev, and arrives in the Bay area they will build houses. They will bring back civilization, and you will all be better for it!

Freakin encla......Earth Republic huggers.:mad::p

crasher
01-21-2014, 12:45 PM
Freakin encla......Earth Republic huggers.:mad::p
I love the fact that new people are playing the game, and some are even coming to the forums.

But there ARE a lot of old conversations that get necro'd when the conversation is not relevant anymore and/or Most/EVERY one who posted in it has pretty much forgotten they ever posted on these forums a long while ago.

Necro is fine and appropriate on occassion, but please choose the topics so that The GMs don't dust off the hammer.

And this is purely my opinion. I am NOT an authority of propriety or good taste on these forums.

Nefarious
01-21-2014, 02:56 PM
A lot of ppl probably bunk up in single rooms in houses. Camp out. Sleep in cars. Live in mines. Bunkers. Iron Demon has a few shed houses and storm cellars leading underground.

We know mutants live in bunkers and ruins and probably in the mountains. Raiders in camps and ruins. 99ers live in mines. Dark Matter has their bases all through out San Fran and they camp and live in their APCs. Also Dark Matter might even have bases set up all through out the whole US.

Manstan
01-21-2014, 03:12 PM
You're looking for houses when people are living in shacks or campers/trucks. They're all over the place.

Valethar
01-21-2014, 03:17 PM
I love the fact that new people are playing the game, and some are even coming to the forums.

But there ARE a lot of old conversations that get necro'd when the conversation is not relevant anymore and/or Most/EVERY one who posted in it has pretty much forgotten they ever posted on these forums a long while ago.

Necro is fine and appropriate on occassion, but please choose the topics so that The GMs don't dust off the hammer.

And this is purely my opinion. I am NOT an authority of propriety or good taste on these forums.

It serves as a good warning however, since the Forum Code of Conduct clearly states that thread necros are forbidden and will end up with a Mod locking the thread. They're also risking an infraction in the process, so generally if it's more than a few weeks dead, you're better off starting a new thread rather than resurrecting one that's almost a year old.

Bonehead
01-21-2014, 03:19 PM
It seems somewhat arbitrary as well.

wartitan
01-21-2014, 03:33 PM
Unless of course they've applied some devilishly cunning optical camouflage to hide it...

Then again, I have fallen through the ground in places.. so perhaps they do have tunnels! :p

Well...we do have cloak so....maybe they have acquired some 'devilishly cunning optical camouflage' from some of the arkfalls? Only explanation I've got for 20 raiders pouring out of those vehicles....they just are NOT big enough!!

wartitan
01-21-2014, 03:35 PM
All in all, my guess is that most of the folks that 'work' in the bay area are commuters from outside the playable areas. Since it only takes 5 minutes from tranquility gate to lower San Fran....it would easily be feasible that there is civilization outside of the map edges.....

"Seems we aren't alone after all..."

Tyrannos
01-21-2014, 04:56 PM
Hi!

Yeah, 8 months without a post is a bit long for continuing a discussion, so going to close this now.