PDA

View Full Version : How do Defiance's Game Mechanics Really Work?

Jeff Kaos
05-08-2013, 12:57 PM
Does anyone know exactly what is going on with the games numbers? Particularly the "damage" numbers that come up when you shoot enemies.

It may sound weird but I really believe all the numbers in the game (like damage numbers, shield/health strength, damage reduction, etc.) are all basically........."lies" is the word I use for lack of a better term. The real mechanics of the game are almost impossible to figure out and these numbers are in place because they're something most gamers expect and understand. I started working on this theory when I realized that regardless of the DPS I was shown to be putting out enemies still took about the same time and effort to kill. It seems as thought the enemies Hit Points scale up the more DPS you do.

How come a single shot to the head with a sniper rifle doing 1200 or so "damage" will kill an enemy but half a magazine from an AR doing 300 "damage" to the same type of enemy doesn't kill them? This is even true if I'm unloading said AR rounds into the enemies head. Logically if the 1200 point sniper round kills an enemy then it should only take 3 AR rounds to kill the same enemy. But this is clearly not the case.

It may be that I'm "brain fried" from all the extra work I've been doing outside the game and I'm just not thinking right and if that's the case well, my bad. But if anyone can explain to me what I'm missing here I'd really appreciate it.

Covington
05-08-2013, 01:02 PM
No it doesn't. I just squeeze the trigger and hope I kill something. I am confused by all of it - between getting 0 in arkfalls - which is impossible when I only really ever try and kill things or rescue people to what happens in a normal fight... the math is not strong with trion.

RegularX
05-08-2013, 01:09 PM
Does anyone know exactly what is going on with the games numbers? Particularly the "damage" numbers that come up when you shoot enemies.

It may sound weird but I really believe all the numbers in the game (like damage numbers, shield/health strength, damage reduction, etc.) are all basically........."lies" is the word I use for lack of a better term. The real mechanics of the game are almost impossible to figure out and these numbers are in place because they're something most gamers expect and understand. I started working on this theory when I realized that regardless of the DPS I was shown to be putting out enemies still took about the same time and effort to kill. It seems as thought the enemies Hit Points scale up the more DPS you do.

How come a single shot to the head with a sniper rifle doing 1200 or so "damage" will kill an enemy but half a magazine from an AR doing 300 "damage" to the same type of enemy doesn't kill them? This is even true if I'm unloading said AR rounds into the enemies head. Logically if the 1200 point sniper round kills an enemy then it should only take 3 AR rounds to kill the same enemy. But this is clearly not the case.

It may be that I'm "brain fried" from all the extra work I've been doing outside the game and I'm just not thinking right and if that's the case well, my bad. But if anyone can explain to me what I'm missing here I'd really appreciate it.

The stats in the game are pretty cryptic - especially how things like accuracy and bloom actually operate. Practically requires a calculator to determine if one grenade is better than the other.

On the sniper rifle, it's possible the weapon type in general has a crit bonus that isn't documented ... although I've tried to max out the crit bonus for my sniper build, so hard to tell - but I'd agree that it seems with the AR that even landing mostly headshots seems to take a few extra rounds for the math.

On the DPS though, I don't know - I've found it noticeably easier to take down mobs, especially any non-elites. AR and SMG are two of my most used weapon types, and as I've upgraded and perked up - enemies that used to be bothersome (like the shielded bandits) aren't a big deal anymore.

Garu
05-08-2013, 01:12 PM
The stats in the game are pretty cryptic - especially how things like accuracy and bloom actually operate. Practically requires a calculator to determine if one grenade is better than the other.

On the sniper rifle, it's possible the weapon type in general has a crit bonus that isn't documented ... although I've tried to max out the crit bonus for my sniper build, so hard to tell - but I'd agree that it seems with the AR that even landing mostly headshots seems to take a few extra rounds for the math.

On the DPS though, I don't know - I've found it noticeably easier to take down mobs, especially any non-elites. AR and SMG are two of my most used weapon types, and as I've upgraded and perked up - enemies that used to be bothersome (like the shielded bandits) aren't a big deal anymore.

I think he means the numbers that appear as damage numbers, im guessing that its a display error when critting with a sniper riffle, but never tested it.

ratt707
05-08-2013, 01:12 PM
I'd like to know as well.

This forum is so dedicated to other topics, there's so little discussion of game mechanics.

Anyway, in other DAM head scratching, I was messin around with a wolfhound pistol. Insanely high crit as most know. Shooting a hellbug elite warrior in the butt for crit dam, it died with almost a quarter of its life bar left.

Could be connection issues but as I experimented more I was getting more head scratching kills. I know the wolf hound has insane crits, but things seemed to die before the life bar was at zero.

What it felt like was enemies were instantly killed by a crit once their life bar was below a certain point.

I'm probably mis-interpreting this, but I think there's something going on with crit DAM.

Also, if you haven't shot things in the head with a wolfhound, you haven't lived.

Jeff Kaos
05-08-2013, 01:26 PM
Whew!! I'm glad it isn't just me; I'm already pretty crummy at math and was worried that I was missing something obvious. Maybe I'll just turn off the option that let's me see the "damage" I'm doing and just play the game free from this head scratching mind bender.

ironhands
05-08-2013, 01:56 PM
No it doesn't. I just squeeze the trigger and hope I kill something. I am confused by all of it - between getting 0 in arkfalls - which is impossible when I only really ever try and kill things or rescue people to what happens in a normal fight... the math is not strong with trion.

0 in arkfalls is from cluster grenades, known bug. not sure if screws it on the server side, or just displaying it wrong in the summary

Jeff Kaos
05-08-2013, 08:45 PM
0 in arkfalls is from cluster grenades, known bug. not sure if screws it on the server side, or just displaying it wrong in the summary

I could be wrong but from what I've been gathering from other posts it's just a display error.

Aternak
05-08-2013, 08:57 PM
A sniper rifle shot for 1200 damage will absolutely not kill anything outside the respawning mutants at the Stratocarrier site (and tiny enemies like skitterlings etc.). A headshot with a sniper rifle does around 4-6k depending on perks. If you see 1200, it means you hit the body.

Jeff Kaos
05-08-2013, 09:10 PM
A sniper rifle shot for 1200 damage will absolutely not kill anything outside the respawning mutants at the Stratocarrier site (and tiny enemies like skitterlings etc.). A headshot with a sniper rifle does around 4-6k depending on perks. If you see 1200, it means you hit the body.

You're probably right but there's still something "off" about the games numbers. I've played a lot of games in my day and the damage numbers just don't seem to reflect what's happening on the screen. And don't even get me started on Arkfalls. Hellbug matrons must have Hit Points in the tens of millions if not more.

Tamednan
05-08-2013, 10:01 PM
Don't forget mob health scales to the amount of people nearby. That's why it takes almost as long to beat an arkfall with a group of 40 people as it does with a group of 10.

Kewookie
09-01-2013, 06:05 PM
So i've been wondering about the Games Mechanics of Defiance, since i'm playing for now like 2 weeks.
Thought i would find something interesting on forums, but in the end, not "that" interesting.
I decided to try and make the point Myself.

My damage output is slightly the ones indicated on weapons' damage. My 1217 Damage Sniper Rifle, deals around 1200 damage a normal shot. It has a 3.8 x crit' dam, and when shooting at the head (provoking the crit), i'm dealing around 4700 damages. 1217 x 3.8 = 4624,6. The maths are done.
The only difference between theorical and practical damages difference, surely come from Weapon Skill / Ego powers, but we're still pretty close.

Tried the same, with my Pistol, and a bit of an AR, and the damages were the one expected.

But then yeah, I felt like some same mobs were no match, sometimes, but then could appear to be un-killable.. That was the point that made me need to check games mechanics... Just had my answer now :

Don't forget mob health scales to the amount of people nearby. That's why it takes almost as long to beat an arkfall with a group of 40 people as it does with a group of 10.

I might be around again, for some more accurate game mechanics thought (Those are just the bases...).
Cya guys !

Frozen
09-01-2013, 06:44 PM
This seems to be the case. I believe certain enemies have an innate defense bonus also. If Im doing say, 400 dmg to certain ones, I seem to come across others that only take, let's say, 300. This is also taking into account drop off distances.