PDA

View Full Version : Blast Rifles - Worth it?

AntiGravity
05-09-2013, 10:29 AM
I recently found a Purple blast rifle but haven't used it yet since the damage is so low. I am just wanting some opinions on how others, who actually use them, like them.

Tips on controlling them would be a plus

TravelerX1
05-09-2013, 10:35 AM
I do like them myself. I find that if I "pulse" the fire so that I am letting go of the trigger as the recoil starts dragging the reticule around, that is keeps pretty good control of it. The fire rate is insane, and with a nano effect, you have a great chance of triggering it. I have a bio one and a syphon one that are awesome.

Not to everyone's tastes, but it's a nice weapon.

Also, dmg is low because you are firing 3 rounds for one. So the actual dmg is X3

Grit
05-09-2013, 10:38 AM
i'd say that that they can be useful but 95% of the time they're worth the arksalvage i get from melting them down..

Grit
05-09-2013, 10:46 AM
I do like them myself. I find that if I "pulse" the fire so that I am letting go of the trigger as the recoil starts dragging the reticule around, that is keeps pretty good control of it. The fire rate is insane, and with a nano effect, you have a great chance of triggering it. I have a bio one and a syphon one that are awesome.

Not to everyone's tastes, but it's a nice weapon.

Also, dmg is low because you are firing 3 rounds for one. So the actual dmg is X3

still 40x3 is pretty weak for an AR.. the 172x3 is more like it lol..i will say they do tear the crap outta shields nicely

Sull
05-09-2013, 10:50 AM
Low damage but high rate of fire...all evens out. If you find one with a solid nano effect they can be surprisingly useful. It takes an entire clip to take down a shielded enemy, but it takes them down fast and the nano effect finishes them off if the bullets didn't.

Zugo
05-09-2013, 10:54 AM
I've tried them but I prefer a good SMG over the blast rifles. I have a load out with two SMGs and the Prepared perk that reloads the weapon you aren't using over time.

AntiGravity
05-09-2013, 11:00 AM
I've tried them but I prefer a good SMG over the blast rifles. I have a load out with two SMGs and the Prepared perk that reloads the weapon you aren't using over time.

I've found that combining Overcharge ability with the 2 Reload perks from the Decoy side of the EGO tree makes for a devastating combination as long as your reload rate is rather snappy.

AntiGravity
05-09-2013, 11:03 AM
still 40x3 is pretty weak for an AR.. the 172x3 is more like it lol..i will say they do tear the crap outta shields nicely

Are the 170+ DMG ones Masu? And are they 170x3? or just 170?

Soobydoo
05-09-2013, 11:04 AM
MAZU variation is nice. The one with 170 damage. It's like a beefier SMG, great for running and gunning and decent scoped. I have one with 10% ego recharge on reload, specced into pumped up and timed out, it keeps my EGO power up pretty much all the time.

AntiGravity
05-09-2013, 11:21 AM
MAZU variation is nice. The one with 170 damage. It's like a beefier SMG, great for running and gunning and decent scoped. I have one with 10% ego recharge on reload, specced into pumped up and timed out, it keeps my EGO power up pretty much all the time.

Does the Mazu do 170x3 DMG like the Blast Rifle does 40x3?

Tango80
05-09-2013, 11:28 AM
No Mazu only do 170 per round.
Standard blast rifles do the 40x3

AntiGravity
05-09-2013, 11:53 AM
No Mazu only do 170 per round.
Standard blast rifles do the 40x3

So I'm guessing that the R.O.F. on both Mazu and B.R's + the proc rate of any nano effects, level out with some of the beefier LMG's?

AntiGravity
05-09-2013, 11:59 AM
Which mods would you guys suggest attaching to a Masu/Blast Rifle to get the most out of the "Weapon Genre"

Krymzon
05-09-2013, 12:53 PM
Blast rifles are CRAP. Sorry but they are. It should NOT take an entire clip of any weapon to kill an average enemy. I can kill an enemy in like 3-4 shots from a saw. The only blast rifle worth anything is the Mazu the rest are junk. Same for the VOT LMGs All crap. you'd think that highly advanced alien weapons would be better at killing things.

RevJynxed
05-09-2013, 01:36 PM
Blast rifles are CRAP. Sorry but they are. It should NOT take an entire clip of any weapon to kill an average enemy. I can kill an enemy in like 3-4 shots from a saw. The only blast rifle worth anything is the Mazu the rest are junk. Same for the VOT LMGs All crap. you'd think that highly advanced alien weapons would be better at killing things.

Try shooting the enemies in the head. I never spend an entire magazine killing a normal strength enemy.

Maybe it isn't the weapon that's crap.

FattyMcG33
05-09-2013, 01:47 PM

Seriously though, get yourself an FRC Heavy Assault Rifle and put a +3 burst mag mod on it. 444x3 as fast as you can pull the trigger. Reload a lot, but the dmg is nuts.

Pyth
05-09-2013, 01:49 PM
I have one with a -.50 accuracy bonus on on it. When I use it with overcharge in PvP, it's not even fair.

Krymzon
05-09-2013, 01:49 PM
So your response is to only go for critical shots? also they are crap, get over it.

wORLDbREAKER
05-09-2013, 02:03 PM
I have a purple blast rifle with survival synergy. Here's the kicker though. It has x1.25 Crit Mult AND x1.15 Crit Mult AND 10% EGO power recharge on critical kill. So total Crit Mult is 1.5x instead of 1.1 for a normal blast rifle. I haven't maxed it out yet to see what the last bonus is. This thing is a freakin' beast with synergy loadout, overcharge, and headshots.

AntiGravity
05-14-2013, 06:59 AM
I have a purple blast rifle with survival synergy. Here's the kicker though. It has x1.25 Crit Mult AND x1.15 Crit Mult AND 10% EGO power recharge on critical kill. So total Crit Mult is 1.5x instead of 1.1 for a normal blast rifle. I haven't maxed it out yet to see what the last bonus is. This thing is a freakin' beast with synergy loadout, overcharge, and headshots.

I don't normally use just regular blast rifles but with your setup, if you were to add the ego perk to recharge the ego power on a full reload then it sounds like you have a dominant combo

Grit
05-14-2013, 07:08 AM
Seriously though, get yourself an FRC Heavy Assault Rifle and put a +3 burst mag mod on it. 444x3 as fast as you can pull the trigger. Reload a lot, but the dmg is nuts.

I have one of those, it's awesome....all except for the scope...haha that is the main reason i don't use the heavy ARs...dumb default scope.

the blast rifles are fun, not my cup of tea but if they have some elemental damage on em, watch out.

AntiGravity
05-14-2013, 07:12 AM
I have one of those, it's awesome....all except for the scope...haha that is the main reason i don't use the heavy ARs...dumb default scope.

the blast rifles are fun, not my cup of tea but if they have some elemental damage on em, watch out.

The Mazu version seems to have an extreamly high proc rate for any of the elemental effects. IDK about the reg blast rifles tho.

Grit
05-14-2013, 07:15 AM
had a lightning and a siphon mazu once or twice and i liked what they did...even more BA when you have a high capacity mag...you can fire forever... it makes me wanna try one of the VOT LMGs for a bit.

AntiGravity
05-14-2013, 07:21 AM
had a lightning and a siphon mazu once or twice and i liked what they did...even more BA when you have a high capacity mag...you can fire forever... it makes me wanna try one of the VOT LMGs for a bit.

I've also been curious about them but for me I didn't like the "burst-delay" between shots. I guess if I ever found a mod, if they exist, that would increase the fire rate of them then I would spend more time using them. I may try adding a +3 burst to one or something to see if that helps

Grit
05-14-2013, 07:22 AM
i despise the ROCKER LMGs urgh... burst fire but it's soo slow

AntiGravity
05-14-2013, 07:36 AM
I'd imagine there is a purpose for them but i've not figured it out yet.

Asynkai
05-15-2013, 04:52 AM
Rocked one of the originals I received from the Arkfall codes reward lockbox, it was a lot of fun!

Worth having a blast on one if you've not tried it out.

Combo Breaker
05-15-2013, 05:14 AM
I had a Mazu that did something like 172 dmg with a 14 firerate (purple/siphon), and I thought it was going to be beast. It took a clip and a half to kill an enemy where a normal AR with 303 damage took about 3/4 of a clip.
That said, I am not a fan.

mikepaul
05-15-2013, 06:45 AM
Does the Mazu do 170x3 DMG like the Blast Rifle does 40x3?
Kinda does. At least, at one skitterling project some hellbugs showed three 172's above them as they died, while most had just one. I asked if the other Blast Rifles had a 100% 3-shot thing going, or just some multi-shots, and got no answer. Do you have one?...

mikepaul
05-15-2013, 06:48 AM
I had a Mazu that did something like 172 dmg with a 14 firerate (purple/siphon), and I thought it was going to be beast. It took a clip and a half to kill an enemy where a normal AR with 303 damage took about 3/4 of a clip. That said, I am not a fan.
A 1.5x or even 1.4x clip mod solves my Mazu issues (only 4 difference). Still waiting for a Level III barrel or 5 to put on my Mazu collection...

Notorious Luck
05-16-2013, 01:19 PM
PVP... VOT Blast Rifle, Bio Nano, Catalyst Tier 3 Mag... =D you feel like a bunny when everyone around you is 5x slower than a turtle.

AntiGravity
05-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Kinda does. At least, at one skitterling project some hellbugs showed three 172's above them as they died, while most had just one. I asked if the other Blast Rifles had a 100% 3-shot thing going, or just some multi-shots, and got no answer. Do you have one?...

Almost any of the regular blast rifles i've tested shoot 3-4 "Pellets" per shot. So I've found that even though its making up for the low damage on the Blast Rifles I still prefer the Mazu over the regular blast rifles

AntiGravity
05-17-2013, 09:09 AM
PVP... VOT Blast Rifle, Bio Nano, Catalyst Tier 3 Mag... =D you feel like a bunny when everyone around you is 5x slower than a turtle.

I have not used them in PVP as of yet but since you are, would you rather the blast rifle effect be bio or electric? I know the electric will remove their hud and make it so they can't zoom in but are you finding that if they are slower its better?

Troy Shepard
05-17-2013, 11:45 AM
Are the 170+ DMG ones Masu? And are they 170x3? or just 170?

Yes Mazu version and Just 170 for the damage but I think I saw one with 172 damage....

AntiGravity
05-28-2013, 05:44 AM
Yes Mazu version and Just 170 for the damage but I think I saw one with 172 damage....

Just got a Legendary Mazu Blast rifle from a tier 3 box last night! Damage 180, came with increased mag size and melee damage with bio nano effects. Leveled the weapon damage and gives 30% fire rate bonus on kill or full reload I can't read what it says since its too large for the area allowed for the bonus stat. Has 3 open slots. First Legendary I feel I could actually use in PVP/PVE

Grit
05-28-2013, 05:47 AM
Ya got a nice weapon there. For sure could hold it's own in the PvE/PvP world!!

the +% nano mod magazine would be nice or an expanded magIII would be nice!!

I've been kinda trolled with most of the oranges i've gotten lol 2 VOT auto Fraggers VOT Rebound Lobber and a Bullrush .45

AntiGravity
05-28-2013, 06:06 AM
Ya got a nice weapon there. For sure could hold it's own in the PvE/PvP world!!

the +% nano mod magazine would be nice or an expanded magIII would be nice!!

I've been kinda trolled with most of the oranges i've gotten lol 2 VOT auto Fraggers VOT Rebound Lobber and a Bullrush .45

Granted I wouldn't use as much ammo if they weren't moving so much but if ppl are actually playing as a team then I shouldn't need the extra ammo just the nano effect %.

I've probably gotten a total of 10 leg's since launch and pretty excited I actually feel like using it. lol.

Probably going to grind out some mods from Hill 88 rampage with the rocket launcher from the pale wars. It takes a while to get any worth using but I just sell the rest and rack up the skrip.

Grit
05-28-2013, 06:11 AM
I have a nice stock of Burst mods i keep in my inventory :D Managed to get some sweet lvlIII mods over the weekend and modded out an old 250 EGO purple SAW, i'll never need a "new saw" again considering i can reset the XP for 8K scrip :D

I really need to try the rampages and hotshots a lot more but i seem to get distracted by too much lol

BTW.. my one Auto Fragger was beastly before the shotty nerf.. 29 round mag + Syphon nano but now its just a shotgun with syphon lol I'm sure i'll be able to find someone that would pay a ton of scrip for the Rebound Lobber but meh, i need to level up detonators anyhow.

I'd probably just throw the level 3 expanded mag in...that'd be more helpful in the PvE world i think.

AntiGravity
05-28-2013, 06:18 AM
I have a nice stock of Burst mods i keep in my inventory :D Managed to get some sweet lvlIII mods over the weekend and modded out an old 250 EGO purple SAW, i'll never need a "new saw" again considering i can reset the XP for 8K scrip :D

I really need to try the rampages and hotshots a lot more but i seem to get distracted by too much lol

BTW.. my one Auto Fragger was beastly before the shotty nerf.. 29 round mag + Syphon nano but now its just a shotgun with syphon lol I'm sure i'll be able to find someone that would pay a ton of scrip for the Rebound Lobber but meh, i need to level up detonators anyhow.

I'd probably just throw the level 3 expanded mag in...that'd be more helpful in the PvE world i think.

If I wasn't at lvl 20 with my assault rifles already then I would, I try to only use weapons in PvE world that I'm not at max lvl with yet.

Grit
05-28-2013, 06:53 AM
If I wasn't at lvl 20 with my assault rifles already then I would, I try to only use weapons in PvE world that I'm not at max lvl with yet.

I maxed out ARs in PvE but i still have them on a class. Who knows what kinda bonuses you'll get with that thing when ya max it out though. It's worth using in PvE...it could be something really BA!!

I'm gonna try to dedicate some time to sawed offs and infectors sometime soon...or i keep saying i will lol

KjcKiesh
05-28-2013, 07:01 AM
Personally I think the Blast Rifle could use a slight damage boost, because the VOT Tachmag Pulsar has a higher fire rate and does roughly 120 per bullet whereas the blast rifle does 40x3 per bullet where usually one of the pellets misses so you only get 80 damage, so I think it could go to 70x3 and still be slightly underpowered.
On the topic of VOT guns I think the Disruptor could use a Crit. Boost, just cause it's pretty much nothing atm except on Hellbugs

Combo Breaker
05-28-2013, 07:07 AM
I maxed out ARs in PvE but i still have them on a class. Who knows what kinda bonuses you'll get with that thing when ya max it out though. It's worth using in PvE...it could be something really BA!!

I'm gonna try to dedicate some time to sawed offs and infectors sometime soon...or i keep saying i will lol

If you use the Hulker to level up weapons I suggest using Cankers and explosive sawed-offs.Much faster.

Grit
05-28-2013, 07:18 AM
If you use the Hulker to level up weapons I suggest using Cankers and explosive sawed-offs.Much faster.

eh hulker lol...

overcharge, pick up rocket launcher from the crate and laugh at the big big numbers that pop up when ya get a crit.

WeeohhWeeohh
05-28-2013, 10:11 AM
Has anyone put on a burst mod onto on of these yet? I'm waiting till i get a second on before I give it a shot.