PDA

View Full Version : Charge blades

Ryaad
05-09-2013, 07:59 PM
[embarrassing, high-pitched excited noises]
Yes I am very excited, anyone else really looking forward to this?

Schwa
05-09-2013, 08:01 PM
Sort of? I like just about everything other than the melee announcement. I can play any number of melee-focused MMOs, but the gun stuff is what sets Defiance apart.

Yenah
05-09-2013, 08:04 PM
The only REAL concern I have is that Charge Blades will be implemented poorly, and ontop of cloak-shotgunner whining floods in the forums, you will also have blade-blur or blade-cloak whiners, quadrupling the amount of whines, lol.

But there are some things in the DLC I am really looking forward too, as well.

Cutlass Jack
05-09-2013, 08:04 PM
Personally I can't wait for a real melee weapon. I'm not terribly worried about them making guns obsolete.

crashtestgamer
05-09-2013, 08:12 PM
Sort of? I like just about everything other than the melee announcement. I can play any number of melee-focused MMOs, but the gun stuff is what sets Defiance apart.

So you're thinking they will be placed in a weapon slot, I was thinking they would create a melee slot that will activate when you hit your melee key, it will be like how Dark matter troops use a charge blade when they try to melee you.

Schwa
05-09-2013, 08:13 PM
So you're thinking they will be placed in a weapon slot, I was thinking they would create a melee slot that will activate when you hit your melee key, it will be like how Dark matter troops use a charge blade when they try to melee you.

I thought that at first as well, and that would've been great, but they did mention a "class." That makes me think of a new section of the ego grid with a new activate ability.

Not so keen on that idea. Unless that ability is "throw confetti" and the perks are stuff like "turns your confetti pink."

Cutlass Jack
05-09-2013, 08:15 PM
No they said 'Weapon Class' not player class or Ego ability. That means a new category of weapon with its own governing skill.

Schwa
05-09-2013, 08:16 PM
No they said 'Weapon Class' not player class or Ego ability. That means a new category of weapon with its own governing skill.

Articulate response to above (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDvaqEQStCY)

Murder
05-09-2013, 08:18 PM
I really wish they released more info on the blades, right now it's all speculation.

Skatch
05-09-2013, 08:24 PM
Want charge blade badly. I wonder if it will get bigger, or just a knife? Hmm will be cool for sure!

Facade
05-09-2013, 08:55 PM
I can already imagine the screams of rage if they pull a CoD and make it a OHK as people blur/cloak through gunfire while the shield sponges the bullets and gashes the enemies big toe for the insta kill

ArcTJ
05-09-2013, 09:10 PM
Inb4 Blur + knife = Whinning for nerf

Fivluih
05-09-2013, 09:26 PM
Want charge blade badly. I wonder if it will get bigger, or just a knife? Hmm will be cool for sure!

And maybe blade enlargement mods to satisfy your enemies that can't feel your puny knife....

Cutlass Jack
05-09-2013, 09:29 PM
And maybe blade enlargement mods to satisfy your enemies that can't feel your puny knife....

But contact a doctor for blades lasting longer than four hours.

Wtflag
05-09-2013, 09:34 PM
Articulate response to above (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DDvaqEQStCY)

I think you have to pray desperately that you don't have to eat your words with that reply lol.

Anatol
05-09-2013, 09:37 PM
charge blade will be same as basic meleee attack but with different animation and blade in your hand but its awesome :)

Ryan
05-09-2013, 09:40 PM
I can't wait to find out if it'll be similar to the Dark Matter melee or an actual weapon taking up 1 of your 2 weapon slots in a loadout.
Ether way I'm excited.

Blade of Souls
05-09-2013, 09:46 PM
I am...indifferent? I think that's the word. I just hope to god that we don't have legions of Jedi Ark Hunters. -That- we don't need.

Schwa
05-09-2013, 09:49 PM
I am...indifferent? I think that's the word. I just hope to god that we don't have legions of Jedi Ark Hunters. -That- we don't need.

Oh god, the hysterical posts begging for OMG PLZ NO CU are coming to pass!

Ozzalin
05-09-2013, 09:50 PM

Remember... Nim had a lightsaber.

Schwa
05-09-2013, 09:52 PM

Nim isn't a playable character. Toot. Nim would be stupid in PVP; things are already stupid enough with the shotgun-fetish gameplay.

Ozzalin
05-09-2013, 09:57 PM
Nim isn't a playable character. Toot. Nim would be stupid in PVP; things are already stupid enough with the shotgun-fetish gameplay.

But but...
Jedi-Arkhunters wearing Castithan masks on 4 players desert skiff vehicles Schwa? No?
Sounds funny :)

Yenah
05-09-2013, 09:58 PM
Nim was a Sith Lord?

Schwa
05-09-2013, 09:59 PM
But but...
Jedi-Arkhunters wearing Castithan masks on 4 players desert skiff vehicles Schwa? No?
Sounds funny :)

No. Shotgun-fetish gameplay is funny. I coined it myself, so it must be true.

Selena Gomez
I am kinda looking forward to this.

chicksticker
I am excited for Light-sabers.

Ryan
05-09-2013, 10:02 PM
No. Shotgun-fetish gameplay is funny. I coined it myself, so it must be true.

Maybe Cloak/Charge sword will stand a chance against Cloak/Shotgun tactics?

Schwa
05-09-2013, 10:03 PM

Then we end up with melee vs shotgun in a shooter MMO. Dumb.

Ozzalin
05-09-2013, 10:07 PM

Of course it will.
Nothing is more powerful than a lightsaber!
Ask Datak!.., oh and Vader as well, even if he prefered using his power of choice:
Force Choke! hehe.
Hey, speaking of it, that would be a nice perk...

Ryan
05-09-2013, 10:14 PM
Of course it will.
Nothing is more powerful than a lightsaber!
Ask Datak!.., oh and Vader as well, even if he prefered using his power of choice:
Force Choke! hehe.
Hey, speaking of it, that would be a nice perk...

Thinking of it since there's diffrent variants of each weapon type does this mean there'll be diffrent variants of the Charge Blades? Yoda size for example :).

Sarin
05-09-2013, 10:17 PM

How is that in any way dumber than shotgun vs shotgun....

Rock, paper, scissors balancing right here, more people use melee, less people use shotguns = more people happy.

Schwa
05-09-2013, 10:17 PM
How is that in any way dumber than shotgun vs shotgun....

Rock, paper, scissors balancing right here, more people use melee, less people use shotguns = more people happy.

They're both dumb! Shotguns simply need to be replaced with party poppers. Confetti for everyone!

Sarin
05-09-2013, 10:39 PM
They're both dumb! Shotguns simply need to be replaced with party poppers. Confetti for everyone!

I for one would be fairly happy with confetti cannons.

Honestly I liked the melee in Mass Effect 3, it was cool looking, had it's place and didn't get in the way of normal gunplay.

I'd prefer shotguns were more accurate (in general) and did less damage to negate the oneshotting capabilities they have while suffering from lots of falloff damage. Also the SMGs could go a damage buff along with increased falloff.

I just really, really like the idea of having charge blades.

Arsenic_Touch
05-09-2013, 10:44 PM
I for one would be fairly happy with confetti cannons.

Just grab a rocket launcher, same difference, just has a bigger boom.

aRtFuL
05-09-2013, 10:47 PM

Technically that will be called a Nimsaber ;)

On another note, I do think also that it will probably replace butting with gunstock or something... because butting with gunstock looks dumb tbh.

Sids
05-09-2013, 10:48 PM

It worked for Halo.

Schwa
05-09-2013, 10:52 PM
It worked for Halo.

Articulate response for bringing Halo's mechanics to Defiance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKQ3ZNQ_O8)

DaMaJaDiZ
05-09-2013, 11:04 PM
The perfect example of why devs shouldn't take any design or mechanical advice from the community. Right. Here.

chicksticker
05-09-2013, 11:06 PM
They should make a perk that lets you take less damage when you are close to enemies! It could be like :30 percent less damage when within x meters of enemy:

Sids
05-09-2013, 11:09 PM
Articulate response for bringing Halo's mechanics to Defiance (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PSKQ3ZNQ_O8)

Not what I thought you meant when you said "Confetti Gun."

BLITZKRI3G
05-09-2013, 11:37 PM
i can see it may just annoy me =p

Buu
05-09-2013, 11:45 PM
Just remember the amount of posts asking for Nim's sword to be available to players. Well, there it is.

Chaos 915
05-10-2013, 12:26 AM
They could add Nim's Charge Attack as an EGO power, it would make a good lead in to charge blade attacks.

Tripl3 Sambuca
05-10-2013, 12:40 AM
Making charge blades a class of their own seems interesting, but I wonder what the skill advantages will be? With guns we get better fire rate and faster reload times, so how will they implement them with a melee weapon? Wider range per swing perhaps?

WhiteCell
05-10-2013, 12:48 AM
[embarrassing, high-pitched excited noises]
Yes I am very excited, anyone else really looking forward to this?

Nope.

The issue with the game having bland and non unique guns isn't addressed at all with the addition of a melee weapon. The announcement of this sounds like infectors might have a challenger for worst weapon in the game now.

Sids
05-10-2013, 12:57 AM
Nope.

The issue with the game having bland and non unique guns isn't addressed at all with the addition of a melee weapon. The announcement of this sounds like infectors might have a challenger for worst weapon in the game now.

*complains about non-unique weapons*
*complains about the most unique weapon in the game*
*complains about adding new weapons*

ChaosOneX
05-10-2013, 02:51 AM
If you read the notes, the charge blade is used in the singular, charge weapons is plural.

It might be the debut of the missing charge sniper

Multigun
05-10-2013, 03:10 AM
I LOVE using Blur melee. All I wanted was a charge knife animation like Dark Matter uses. But now Trion is telling me we are getting our own CHARGE BLADES that have actual stats?!

[embarrassing, high-pitched excited noises]<----------------am also a guy.

davjones
05-14-2013, 06:39 PM
Personally I'd rather have it as a melee button, I don't play the current so called pvp system so theres no real threat from me. I'd be using it for doing a bunch of PREDATOR kills that way I can actually benefit more from cloak.

ratt707
05-14-2013, 07:03 PM
Nope.

are you interested in playing defiance?

INFIDEL
05-14-2013, 07:16 PM
All I'm Saying is... Cloak + crouch + chargeblade = Stealth Kill!!!!... So EXCITED!!

Daholic
05-14-2013, 07:53 PM
Haha, Charged Blades now!!

This is getting too funny now.

Smoky
05-14-2013, 07:58 PM
I can't wait for it. I love to melee anyway and this will give me even more of a reason to do it. Depending on how they implement it I may even switch out my sawed off for it.

dazedzombie
05-17-2013, 06:41 PM
The only REAL concern I have is that Charge Blades will be implemented poorly, and ontop of cloak-shotgunner whining floods in the forums, you will also have blade-blur or blade-cloak whiners, quadrupling the amount of whines, lol.

But there are some things in the DLC I am really looking forward too, as well.

should have pvp set so certain arena's use different weapons...or custom set matches...

Ferro
05-23-2013, 02:21 PM
Not that this is really the place to mention it, but since this thread is about the close quarters weapon that's being shoe-horned in to replace the newly castrated shotgun; I figured it was as good a place as any for my rant.

In case no one noticed however, the dominance of shotguns in pvp has entirely to do with the size of the death match maps. Most of the actual combats (I'd call them Jousts) take place in areas that would be about 7 meters. Any modern military would still use shotguns in that situation, because it is still the best solution even after hundreds of years of more modern firearms.

Shotguns simply SHOULD be devastating at close range. Realistically, a modern shotgun is like firing 8-12 small caliber handguns simultaneously into a small circle. There is no reason a single, or especially double barrel shotgun should NOT kill most man-sized targets outright at close range. Instead, greatly reducing the effectiveness of a weapon that already carries the risk of short range seems both unrealistic and silly.

If they could instead make significantly larger maps with large open spaces, then you'd see virtually no shotguns. You'd instead see people using barrage weapons like mass cannons to flush cloaked enemies or just shell enemies in cover as well as various rifles, saws, and long range infectors. Eventually tactics would emerge, and people would probably form units with set roles or go out on their own or in pairs as scout/snipers, and real world combat would be emulated.

Better yet, encourage open world pvp with Echelon contracts. I have not seen a prevalence of shotguns in shadow wars (although admittedly I've only participated in a few). Most of mechanics are already in place for a more diverse pvp system, but contracts force us to do these 2 (or now 3 apparently) small pvp maps over and over.

Any way you slice it however, you'll still have people whining because effective strategies are effective (and boring). I just hope that Trion learns to ignore them instead of say... finding self-serving solutions.

Smitch
05-23-2013, 04:49 PM
Making charge blades a class of their own seems interesting, but I wonder what the skill advantages will be? With guns we get better fire rate and faster reload times, so how will they implement them with a melee weapon? Wider range per swing perhaps?

Charge to max time? Swing speed? Recovery speed? Crit rate?