PDA

View Full Version : Money for Appearance / Name Changes?

RegularX
05-10-2013, 08:04 AM
In browsing the blog post for the upcoming DLC:
http://community.defiance.com/en/2013/05/09/you-just-keep-coming-back-for-more-but-now-what-lets-talk-potential/

Most of it looks pretty good. Blades. 4 player vehicle of doom. Monolith Arkfalls. Whatever "Siege" is.

But:

"Character Customization changes: Appearance change, name change, or everything change"

Under what you can pay for? Really? You want me to spend real money to give my avatar a new haircut?

Which - I know the inevitable answer will be: if you don't like it, don't spend it. Which, trust me, I have no plans on doing so. But seriously? That really seems like nickel and diming the player base.

Mr Gambler
05-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Hey, if you don't like your fringe, you gotta do what you gotta do.

FEAR Alpha KEQ
05-10-2013, 08:07 AM
Rules

#1: increase player base
#2: create own 'real' money (bits, to dis-associate people from how much real money they're spending)
#3: introduce micro-transactions
#4: increase frequency of micro-transactions
#5: increase size of micro-transactions

Why? To make even MORE money!

xxJUSTINxx
05-10-2013, 08:08 AM
I could see that being okay if they first time was free for Season pass holders.

Thrasher
Would you rather pay a monthly fee for the game?

R1ck3y3
I wouldn't mind it so much if there was a scrip way to pay alongside bits.

Cutlass Jack
05-10-2013, 08:09 AM
This is actually a very common thing in most games without a monthly fee (and some games with). And its a good thing. Cash shops are best when they feature purely cosmetic things on them that you can live without. And nothing is more cosmetic...than changing your cosmetics. :p

That said, I think it would be a sensible move on their part to include one free makeover with the DLC purchase.

baelrusk
05-10-2013, 08:11 AM
Really......for the character customization changes.
I wouldn't consider going for that even if I was still willing to buy the DLC unless I could see the final options of what I could change to.

And CutlassJack....that's exactly right.
If they can stimulate people's interest in the items in the DLC and store while staying within what the customer would be willing to spend on it. Then that becomes the source of income to keep the servers and support running.

The key point is "stimulate people's interest in the items in the DLC and store while staying within what the customer would be willing to spend on it" though. If nobody is willing to buy it, they just wasted the money they spent creating them.

This is a major factor in the lifespan of any MMO with no subscription fees.

RegularX
05-10-2013, 08:12 AM
Would you rather pay a monthly fee for the game?

No, but why should Trion have to start a subscription to allow you to something virtually for scrip vs virtual for real cash? It's not like it is a drain on their servers. They don't have to add new content to support it. It's a new interface. If they're going to add it in - why block behind real dollars?

Vanity items not otherwise available - I get that. Changing your player's tattoo from a previously existing tattoo for another previously existing tattoo ... that's like charging for everytime you want to swap out your hat.

3rdpig
05-10-2013, 08:13 AM
So what? You can always roll a new toon if you don't like the current one. Seriously, with the major flaws that still exist in the game that seems something hardly worth mentioning. And they gave us the ability to respec Ego powers for nothing but an inconsequential amount of script, which is more important than the appearance.

Sounds to me like you're digging for something to be annoyed about.

RegularX
05-10-2013, 08:13 AM
This is actually a very common thing in most games without a monthly fee (and some games with). And its a good thing. Cash shops are best when they feature purely cosmetic things on them that you can live without. And nothing is more cosmetic...than changing your cosmetics. :p

That said, I think it would be a sensible move on their part to include one free makeover with the DLC purchase.

Well, yeah - I agree that I would rather have updates which put features in the "nickel and dime" camp, and not the "Buy your brand new legendary item rights here". Or "$2 for a permanent HP upgrade" or the like. At least they're still safely out of the pay to win category.

Miserere
05-10-2013, 08:14 AM
I wouldn't mind it so much if there was a scrip way to pay alongside bits.

This. I would like a scrip way because it will be a slight money sink to help the economy. Now the names, on the other hand, I'm fine with it being just bits.

M00N
05-10-2013, 08:15 AM
"Character Customization changes: Appearance change, name change, or everything change"

Under what you can pay for? Really? You want me to spend real money to give my avatar a new haircut?

This is the norm in many MMOs, not all sure, but many. Were RL Currency will have you the option to change a otherwise permanent future.

Sure there are MMOs thats the other way around.

But the thing is Trion chose this way and we have to live with it, well or make 10000 post as this community seems to do and hope the whine changes things. :)

Duerdal
05-10-2013, 08:16 AM
This is nothing unusual for a non sub mmo, I'm ok with this, rather Trion charge for cosmetic stuff rather than Pay to win items.

RegularX
05-10-2013, 08:17 AM
This. I would like a scrip way because it will be a slight money sink to help the economy. Now the names, on the other hand, I'm fine with it being just bits.

Yeah, I'd agree with that. Or to put it another way - make it like lockboxes. I can spend bits, or I can salvage enough to afford it.

3rdpig
05-10-2013, 08:17 AM
Rules

#2: create own 'real' money (bits, to dis-associate people from how much real money they're spending)

More than what? More than the break even point so the servers can stay running and the dev team can stay employed? Sounds good to me. Why don't you enlighten us with Trion's financials, including the money being earned by Defiance vs money spent developing it and keeping it running so we can understand just how evil and greedy Trion is. What? You don't know? You're talking out your ***? Shocking!

Pasha
05-10-2013, 08:21 AM
After checking F2P Neverwinter (bag $10, horse $5-40, skills respec $6) Defiance prices seems to be ok. Yet base product quality should be much better (animations, player models).

Cutlass Jack
05-10-2013, 08:22 AM

Yeah I'm quoting myself. But I forgot to mention why I think they should give a free one. The current customization interface was so poorly designed that many players didnt realize there were any options past the first page. Which means they probably got stuck with some embarassing hairstyle at the very least.

So giving one free makeover seems fair. And should minimize complaints charging for future ones. You get one free do-over.

Hope499
05-10-2013, 08:27 AM

This exactly....Jack can explain all future things for me.

Clarkeh
05-10-2013, 08:30 AM
I wouldn't have so much of an issue if Trion actually used monetary economy in the game $12 is not 12 nor is it 12 euro until they get that fixed i won't be touching the cash shop personally.

FattyMcG33
05-10-2013, 09:25 AM
Rules

Holy crap, you mean a company is trying to make money? Can't be....

Nothing in the Defiance store is "pay-to-win". It's all OPTIONAL things that people can buy if they want to. If someone doesn't want to spend real money on things, they don't have to.

I for one might look at the character customization changes once the Castithan race comes out, but it depends on how they look (and how much it costs lol).

Miserere
05-10-2013, 09:29 AM
I wouldn't have so much of an issue if Trion actually used monetary economy in the game $12 is not 12 nor is it 12 euro until they get that fixed i won't be touching the cash shop personally.

I wrote up a price guide for all the cash shop items and how much they are in your respective currency. I'll be keeping it up to date if you want to favor and check back from time to time. :)

Rakshasa
05-10-2013, 07:31 PM
Yeah I'm quoting myself. But I forgot to mention why I think they should give a free one. The current customization interface was so poorly designed that many players didnt realize there were any options past the first page. Which means they probably got stuck with some embarassing hairstyle at the very least.

So giving one free makeover seems fair. And should minimize complaints charging for future ones. You get one free do-over.

I can't disagree with that, as I actually made 2 characters on day 1 before realizing the method for picking through all the options. I'd write this off as my own usual stupidity, if there weren't a ton of other people who apparently did the same thing in haste, including some semi-pro review/'let's play' videos where they didn't catch it either.

Either way, I'll have to get one redo. I've since rerolled the 2nd toon, but the first was too far along. Zev would like to have some eyebrows. :p

Quebra Regra
05-10-2013, 07:33 PM
I'd pay a little cash so my dude could have a bald head like Von Bach... WTF with no BALD hair option?

Bald is beautiful, just ask Kojak.