PDA

View Full Version : Weapon Skill

Arch Fiend Folio
05-10-2013, 02:11 PM
I have been trying to lvl my weapon skill with a sawed of shotgun and it is taking such a long time...

How does the weapon skill work by number of rounds fired or amount of dmg done or reloads ? it seems the fully auto weapons lvl so much faster than the ones that are not... or is it just me

Could use some advice on getting the skill ups faster

Yenah
05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Weapons and Weapon skills level by damage done, the XP on the weapon is how much damage has been dealt with that weapon, once that small bar is maxed then no more XP is given to the general Weapon Skill level.
General Tips for leveling up faster:
Attack high health enemies
Use Overcharge allot
Go for crits!
Sawn-off specific tip: Use Courier shotguns (the ones that shoot two sticky 'nades) they deal a bunch of burst damage if you stick both 'nades to an enemy, and leveled my skill up the fastest out of all the options.

Miserere
05-10-2013, 02:15 PM
A little excerpt from Guide Scroll (http://guidescroll.com/2013/04/defiance-weapons-and-leveling-guide/)

"For those that may not know, every weapon gains EXP and ranks up. This is evident by an EXP bar below the Mod slots on every weapon. As the weapon’s EXP bar fills, you also gain EXP towards the Weapon Skill.

However, each individual weapon can only rank up once. After you fill the bar, you gain no more EXP for either the weapon or the weapon skill. Because of this, you’ll need to constantly switch weapons that you use.

For instance, I’m focusing on LMGs. I buy the Frontier SAW outside Happy Pow Ranch and level it up. Once filled, I sell it and purchase another one. Each weapon gains exp and levels and I gain Weapon Skill levels.

The amount of Weapon EXP gained is based off the amount of regular EXP gained. Which is, in turn, based on the amount of damage you dealt.

In group situations (Coop Missions), you gain Weapon EXP if you dealt the killing blow
The Ego rating of a weapon affects the strength of the bonus you gain when you rank a weapon.

Specific to the BMG, you gain Weapon EXP for healing IF you restored shields or health.

Melee attacks do not give Weapon EXP."

Burncykle
05-10-2013, 02:17 PM
From what I have read, skill points earned is a combination of damage done plus any kill bonus you got like Chain Kill, Critical Kill, or Power Kill.

I'm leveling my pump shotty right now and noticed it started going faster once I started getting more Critical Kills. Also, when using the shotty in skitterlings or other weak targets, let them group together and kill them with one shot, you get several Chain Kill bonuses.

Hope499
05-10-2013, 02:17 PM
A little excerpt from Guide Scroll (http://guidescroll.com/2013/04/defiance-weapons-and-leveling-guide/)

"For those that may not know, every weapon gains EXP and ranks up. This is evident by an EXP bar below the Mod slots on every weapon. As the weapon’s EXP bar fills, you also gain EXP towards the Weapon Skill.

However, each individual weapon can only rank up once. After you fill the bar, you gain no more EXP for either the weapon or the weapon skill. Because of this, you’ll need to constantly switch weapons that you use.

For instance, I’m focusing on LMGs. I buy the Frontier SAW outside Happy Pow Ranch and level it up. Once filled, I sell it and purchase another one. Each weapon gains exp and levels and I gain Weapon Skill levels.

The amount of Weapon EXP gained is based off the amount of regular EXP gained. Which is, in turn, based on the amount of damage you dealt.

In group situations (Arkfalls, Coop Missions, PvP), you gain Weapon EXP if you dealt the killing blow
The Ego rating of a weapon affects the strength of the bonus you gain when you rank a weapon.

Specific to the BMG, you gain Weapon EXP for healing IF you restored shields or health.

Melee attacks do not give Weapon EXP."

I actually didnt know all that myself, great info thanks :)

Arch Fiend Folio
05-10-2013, 02:19 PM
Weapons and Weapon skills level by damage done, the XP on the weapon is how much damage has been dealt with that weapon, once that small bar is maxed then no more XP is given to the general Weapon Skill level.
Use Overcharge allot
Go for crits!
Sawn-off specific tip: Use Courier shotguns (the ones that shoot two sticky 'nades) they deal a bunch of burst damage if you stick both 'nades to an enemy, and leveled my skill up the fastest out of all the options.

Thanks bud

I am familiar with the exp on the weapons them selves and not what I was asking... skilling up is what I was asking

any idea where to find courier shotguns?

Yenah
05-10-2013, 02:21 PM
"based off the amount of regular EXP gained." -- Are we sure that's accurate? I was always under the impression it was based solely on how much damage the weapon dealt, along with things such as Crits and Chains..
If this is the case, I need to revise the info I just gave out.

Miserere
05-10-2013, 02:23 PM
"based off the amount of regular EXP gained." -- Are we sure that's accurate? I was always under the impression it was based solely on how much damage the weapon dealt, along with things such as Crits and Chains..
If this is the case, I need to revise the info I just gave out.

It is. That's why they put this after it: "Which is, in turn, based on the amount of damage you dealt." ;D

Yenah
05-10-2013, 02:25 PM
Its confusing wording XD I missed that, lol..
As for where to find Couriers, I don't know of any vendor that sells them, but they seem to be a rather common drop in co-op maps, in my own personal experience.. Could be different for you.

Cephious
05-10-2013, 02:31 PM
Use Overcharge allot
Go for crits!
Sawed-off specific tip: Use Courier shotguns (the ones that shoot two sticky 'nades) they deal a bunch of burst damage if you stick both 'nades to an enemy, and leveled my skill up the fastest out of all the options.

All of the above. Particularly using the VO-2 Courier shotgun is the fastest way to level, that I found. As far as 'high health' enemies are concerned the BEST are Scrapper Forge or Hulkers. The critical yellow spot on a Forge is THE BEST crit multiplier I have found. 1.7 mil damage with only 35 kills in Scrapworks using only semi-auto sniper rifles and focusing on heat sinks and crits. I mainly leveled my sawed off shotguns on Hulkers. Beware: Currently there is no torso collision on the Hulkers when they are walking/charging towards you and you are using the Courier. Often you will shoot right through them. Waiting until the stop moving to stomp, or aiming for the shoulders/chest was the the work-around I found.

Grimwyrd
05-10-2013, 04:02 PM
As far as I know, from my testing, weapon mastery xp comes simply from damage done (no bonus from power kills, rescue kills, kill shots or anything else). Whatever the damage floater says (assuming you have damage floaters turned on) is what you get.

In other words, equip a fresh weapon with something like 0/940000 xp:
If you do a 43-point hit, you'll be at 43/940000.
If you do a 2586-critical kill with Overcharge, you'll be at 2586/940000.

I was working on 500 cloaked kills while finishing my Sawed-Off skill, so I would Cloak as a pack of critters was about to spawn, then do a Shadowed Strike Courier double-barreled grenade strike into the clump of foes.

Four dark matter enforcers would blow up at once for ~20k weapon xp.

Arch Fiend Folio
05-10-2013, 05:10 PM
Grim yes for the weapon it self yes you are correct... but that is not what I was asking!

Yenah
05-10-2013, 05:48 PM
A couple more quick little things.. VOT Nanno Fraggers, the ones that fire i think its x12 pellets in a fan, are also good for leveling your sawn-off skill..
I believe that nano effects also count towards weapon damage dealt, so anything with Siphon likely levels much faster as well.

Grimwyrd
05-10-2013, 05:59 PM
Grim yes for the weapon it self yes you are correct... but that is not what I was asking!

I understand. But if there's any proof that kill shots, power kills, rescue kills or anything other than "weapon mastery xp" affects your "weapon skill" progress, I haven't seen it.

Obviously it's hard to test, since there aren't numbers associated with weapon skill progress. But I've leveled several weapon skills up to 10-20 and haven't seen any reason to believe that it's more complicated than simply: damage done = weapon mastery xp = weapon skill.

If there's any other factor, it's likely subtle. Cycle weapons when they max out, do a lot of damage.

Yenah
05-10-2013, 06:02 PM
I know Crits help, since a big Crit can do more damage to a mob than the mob actually has as health (and overkill counts).. as for the other special kill types, no idea, but they are fun to try to get them, which can help just by breaking up the "grind".