PDA

View Full Version : WTF is it about that turning around after heavy hit ???

Rudal
05-10-2013, 05:38 PM
Trion WTF were you thinking when you implemented that piss poor mechanic with turning around character when hit???

There are some missions that instantly spawn heavy hitting enemies when you progress through them.
How the hell are we supposed progress through them when we are hit from 3 different directions and we loose control over character because it constantly turns around to face the attacker.

If I got myself into trouble and I lost my shield and I'm with half of my HP (cause I am suddenly facing 2 bulwarks out of nowhere) I REALLY don't want to charge them!!! I want to use my cloak and get to safety but how am I supposed to do that when after each hit I'm forced to 90 degrees turn??

Fix that please

tuckerpb
05-10-2013, 05:47 PM
Trion WTF were you thinking when you implemented that piss poor mechanic with turning around character when hit???

There are some missions that instantly spawn heavy hitting enemies when you progress through them.
How the hell are we supposed progress through them when we are hit from 3 different directions and we loose control over character because it constantly turns around to face the attacker.

If I got myself into trouble and I lost my shield and I'm with half of my HP (cause I am suddenly facing 2 bulwarks out of nowhere) I REALLY don't want to charge them!!! I want to use my cloak and get to safety but how am I supposed to do that when after each hit I'm forced to 90 degrees turn??

Fix that please

just remember unless it affects pvp it is not a bug just a unique feature.

Rudal
05-10-2013, 05:52 PM
just remember unless it affects pvp it is not a bug just a unique feature.

That "feature" bugs me from day one!
Why would I want to face the enemy that I want to run away from?

PhotriusPyrelus
05-10-2013, 05:54 PM

So you know where exactly it was that you were hit for half your health? I'm not a big fan of stright-up removing things, but I would totally, totally support an option to turn off this behavior.

Santana Ortega
05-10-2013, 05:54 PM
really should just be a knockdown and 1 second stun. The turn around is a crap mechanic

Rudal
05-10-2013, 06:06 PM
So you know where exactly it was that you were hit for half your health? I'm not a big fan of stright-up removing things, but I would totally, totally support an option to turn off this behavior.

I (usually) have quite good awareness of what's going on around me.
I was doing a side mission where after picking/turning off something I was attacked by Dark Matter Sniper and two Bulwarks from three different directions which resulted in instant death cause my character was turning around after every hit.

I don't mind sudden difficulty spikes, it gives a bit of spice to a game play and the more I'm pissed off with enemy the more I want to kill it but things like that just put me off.

A s0t
05-10-2013, 06:26 PM
So you know where exactly it was that you were hit for half your health? I'm not a big fan of stright-up removing things, but I would totally, totally support an option to turn off this behavior.its the ai sniper that turns you around

carpesangrea
05-10-2013, 06:29 PM
its the ai sniper that turns you around

It's not just the sniper that does this. I've had scenarios almost identical to what the OP described, both with and without snipers. It's a really stupid mechanic that we at least need the option to disable.

Myst
05-10-2013, 06:29 PM

Yep and if they shoot you from every angle it becomes the tea cup ride! :p

Ganbada
05-10-2013, 06:30 PM
i know what u mean. I have this "bug" or "feature" everytime in an arkfall....... iam this kind of Player who runs around the arkfall and shoot on it ....than a big hellbug hit me ...everything is yellow and red and black ... and a second later iam shooting into the sky or into the woods behind me ....really anoying.....

FlippyCake
05-10-2013, 06:33 PM
Are you using auto-aim that is enabled by default in the settings menu? That might be part of the issue.
Try turning it off and see if you are experiencing more of the same thing.
I personally have not experienced any character turning around at all. (I run my client without auto-aim).

A s0t
05-10-2013, 06:35 PM
Are you using auto-aim that is enabled by default in the settings menu? That might be part of the issue.
Try turning it off and see if you are experiencing more of the same thing.
I personally have not experienced any character turning around at all. (I run my client without auto-aim).run down to downtown SF and get shot in the back by a sniper

and i didn't know i had to add everything that turns you around

Kane
05-10-2013, 06:37 PM
well i think the idea or the script in the game is applied to both player and ai alike, if you snipe an ai from a long distance but not kill it, it automatically faces you, knows where you are and in half a second you took 3 bullets in you from a small range weapon. Not the point here the point is the thing that makes the ai turn makes you turn also...it is very annoying and sometimes kills you because it renders you unable to move or target being knocked around...but i dread to think what would happen if they try to fix this feature...:))

Stickybuds
05-10-2013, 07:09 PM
This is NOT an AI Sniper feature!

It also has NOTHING to do with Target Assist as I have that turned off and it still happens.

This happened to me in a Coop surrounded by Warrior Hellbugs that hit me 3 times consecutively leaving me completely disorientated and confused as to what the hell just happened!

I'm just glad I don't suffer from Epilepsy!

Rakshasa
05-10-2013, 07:36 PM
I do experience less involuntary re-orientation since making sure aim assist was off, especially vs 'normal' enemies like hellbugs. But I do think some of this is intentional, as part of the knockback/stun mechanic. We have a few weapons which do exactly the same thing to enemies, including repeaters which induce an immediate 180-degree spin. I figure we do it, they do it too.

Hithlum
05-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Big hits disorient you... I don't see what you are complaining about. Would you laso like them to remove damage from enemy attacks?

A s0t
05-10-2013, 07:38 PM
This is NOT an AI Sniper feature!

what else do you call a computer controlled bot????

Iceberg
05-10-2013, 07:43 PM
A true badass ark hunter runs head long towards danger, not away from it! Maybe that is what trion was thinking? Ya this "feature" needs to have a toggle, I am not a fan.

Stickybuds
05-10-2013, 07:50 PM
what else do you call a computer controlled bot????

NPC :p

I'm specifically saying it's not just the Snipers that are the cause, any "AI bot" or NPC can cause it.

I'd be happy if they replaced it with a knockback instead because it just makes it hard to look at the screen if you get 'pinballed' several times like I did. I know it's only for a few seconds but it's still a tad annoying and getting knocked back instead would remove the chance of it happening consecutively to the point of annoyance.

But having said that it's really not a game breaker for me, still enjoying every minute! :D

Nyymi
05-10-2013, 09:14 PM
Hmm... seems to be "console only" problem as i do not have encountered this on PC, as flippy said it propably due aim-bo.. erm aim-assist so either learn to aim without "haxxors" or deal with it :P

Now that i think this again i kinda might have seen something similiar like this, when dodging a KD move my character faces enemy instead getting KD:d even when i soak the hit. But this is actually extremely helpfull and neat "glitch" so i wont complain.

Valethar
05-10-2013, 09:24 PM

And Monarchs. And Elite Warriors. And Biomen when you get too close and they melee you. And Hulkers.

Apparently they all have sniper rifles too.

Rudal
05-11-2013, 02:04 AM
Hmm... seems to be "console only" problem as i do not have encountered this on PC, as flippy said it propably due aim-bo.. erm aim-assist so either learn to aim without "haxxors" or deal with it :P

Now that i think this again i kinda might have seen something similiar like this, when dodging a KD move my character faces enemy instead getting KD:d even when i soak the hit. But this is actually extremely helpfull and neat "glitch" so i wont complain.

It's not console only I'm running the game on PC.
I didn't try to turn off aim assist but it seems that it doesn't help much.

Nyymi
05-11-2013, 02:58 AM
It's not console only I'm running the game on PC.
I didn't try to turn off aim assist but it seems that it doesn't help much.

Wierd as i havent encountered that problem on PC, tho first thing i did was turing assist off(and generally first thing i do in every game is to go settings before even taking first step)as it doesnt belong to PC.

Untill i saw this thread i tought that 180degree turn was some sort of keybind when i watched vids in youtube but i guess it wasnt.

Btw are you sure it is not mouse jumping? because that is pretty common in shooters if mouse is getting old and busted.

MirrorStream
05-11-2013, 05:14 AM

Fix that please

yeah, this "feature" sucks. It's even more anoying then reloading bug

MirrorStream
05-11-2013, 05:30 AM
Wierd as i havent encountered that problem on PC, tho first thing i did was turing assist off(and generally first thing i do in every game is to go settings before even taking first step)as it doesnt belong to PC.

Untill i saw this thread i tought that 180degree turn was some sort of keybind when i watched vids in youtube but i guess it wasnt.

Btw are you sure it is not mouse jumping? because that is pretty common in shooters if mouse is getting old and busted.

it has nothing to do with mouse and aim assist, cause I'm playing on pad with auto-aim switched off and still expirience this crappy feature

Firetalion
05-11-2013, 05:46 AM
Aim assist, haha. That sounds like a horrible feature. I like a game to be a challenge, and this sounds counter productive to that goal. They should make it a few seconds slow, so real people can hammer past those with it turned on. ;o)

Getting spun around only really blows when it happens repeatedly. Like when there are four snipers, say, in the scrapyard, and you keep getting hammered so fast there is nothing you can do.

When a bullwark comes up behind you that you didn't know was there, and it spins you around, or when it is just one sniper and you spin around to see it, I don't feel there is a problem. It would be much worse if you didn't spin around, and instead you just kept dying and didn't know why. I think that would make more people angry than the way it works right now.

But maybe a time-out feature? Ten seconds per spin? I admit it is annoying when a sniper hits you, you spin, then less than three seconds later another one hits you, and you spin... and it basically insures you will die. Even if you broke off into a sprint after the first spin you'd still be doomed.

Well, on second thought, if you have five snipers taking pot shots at you when you're out in the open, maybe you deserve to die, haha. Game mechanic to spin or not, you wouldn't live through it anyways.

cusman
05-11-2013, 06:00 AM

It would be good to be able to turn this one off. Probably useful to people in PvP or to help people spot when they are being Sniped... but otherwise more harm than good.

Mad
05-13-2013, 03:05 PM
This MAY actually be tied to the aim assist function. Although in my experience disabling aim assist only reduces the instances of this happening not eliminates it.

Particularly annoying when your intelligent enough to take down one target at a time to reduce incoming dps only to be spun to face a full health enemy randomly even if they did minimal damage to your shields. Your then stuck with a conundrum do you bother trying to take out the enemy your facing who does minimal damage or do you turn to resume your attack on the high dps enemy who you were already 1/2 or 3/4 done killing ...

loops73
05-13-2013, 03:08 PM
funny,i never noticed that this happened or was a problem

crasher
05-13-2013, 03:46 PM

Nobody said you wanted to.

It's just the devs giving you a burden to carry if you want to play the game.
Bastages.

crasher
05-13-2013, 03:49 PM
It would be good to be able to turn this one off. Probably useful to people in PvP or to help people spot when they are being Sniped... but otherwise more harm than good.

It's about as useful to me as requiring me to kneel down in front of a stampede to tie my shoelaces.

Matsutake
05-13-2013, 03:49 PM
Characters have to protect thier beutiful face.
My character has never turned around, I have been knocked back but not hit so hard my characters head spins.

T_Archangel
05-13-2013, 04:22 PM
I totally agree w/ the original post. You shouldn't turn towards the hit. If anything you should get thrown in the direction the shot was heading aka knockback... Just a thought

Dalnar
05-13-2013, 05:13 PM
Totally screws up focus... If you want to kill the mob you are on, so as to reduce the number of enemies, and keep getting spun with every hit, and can't run away no matter if you're getting hit in the back, then we should always be able to self-revive, or hasten the reuse, as it sucks to constantly be forced to extract...

Please, turn this shtaco off ASAP.

T_Archangel
05-13-2013, 05:16 PM
Please, turn this shtaco off ASAP.

*giggle* he said shtako LOL

Ryme
05-13-2013, 05:43 PM
The only time I experiencing sever flinching is when I am hit with a heavy attack, which I find to be both appropriate and acceptable. That said, I play on PC. Those of you experiencing this problem, please state what platform you are playing on. Maybe this is a console bug.

Darstrom
05-13-2013, 05:55 PM
Big hits disorient you... I don't see what you are complaining about. Would you laso like them to remove damage from enemy attacks?

Thank you for summing up my thoughts

dim
05-13-2013, 05:57 PM
I'v never experienced this on ps3. Though I'm almost always holding in the aim button, perhaps it only affects you when your firing from the hip?

Anthalus
05-27-2013, 11:44 AM
I play on PC and find this incredibly irritating especially when soloing major arkfalls. If I am sprinting in one direction the very last thing I want is to turn 180 to face whatever it is I am trying to avoid, nor does it make any physical sense for it to happen, an impact would send me sprawling face first into the dirt NOT cause me to turn around especially when usually I know exactly what has caused it. The Helllion Symbiotes acid spit is a swine for this I know you arn't exactly supposed to be able to solo it but trying to find cover when every few secs you get spun around sucks. It seems to be a mechanic to show you what has done the damage as I have been hit in the side by a Raider Rioter and spun to face them which got me killed as the elite I had melee'd to drop his sheild recovered and blasted me before I could react.
I noticed the auto aim seemed to try and help when you go into aim mode on PC before I turned it off.

Biznatchio
05-27-2013, 11:47 AM
I (usually) have quite good awareness of what's going on around me.
I was doing a side mission where after picking/turning off something I was attacked by Dark Matter Sniper and two Bulwarks from three different directions which resulted in instant death cause my character was turning around after every hit.

I don't mind sudden difficulty spikes, it gives a bit of spice to a game play and the more I'm pissed off with enemy the more I want to kill it but things like that just put me off.

Some days you own Trion and other days they own you. Defiance is unfair to some.

I hate it when it happens to me too.

Almiel
08-25-2013, 09:50 AM
This "feature" is especially atrocious in the Thorn Liro arenas. I literally got turned in 3-4 different directions in 2 seconds flat. How am I supposed to concentrate when that happens? My DH was watching me and was WTF-ing through it all.

Another time I was running along the upper catwalks, got turned around due to sniper fire and ran right of the catwalk!!!! Now I'm down in the pit with no enemies in sight and my multiplier drops back to 1.

Please, Trion, turn this off or make it a toggle option.

Rasczak
08-25-2013, 09:59 AM

I'm on PC, Aim-Assist off, and get this issue all the time, even from Hellbug Matrons when I fail to dodge their melee swipe fast enough. Any heavy hit turns me toward the attacker. It is an asinine mechanic for a Shooter.

SlimShady78
08-25-2013, 12:19 PM
This really annoys the crap out of me. It disorientates. I however also think its a cool feature.

DeadMike
08-25-2013, 12:26 PM
I have figured a way to get around it. Don't get hit. :D

Nefarious
08-25-2013, 12:49 PM
hmm, sounds like ppl are getting shot and its effecting them...lol who would of thought?

Celke
08-25-2013, 01:51 PM
I am 99% of the time running my sniper loadout so I actually like this, I mostly focus on the heavy hitters first and since I automaticly get aimed to them it's makes sniping even more easy.

Rasczak
08-25-2013, 02:01 PM
hmm, sounds like ppl are getting shot and its effecting them...lol who would of thought?

It affects us through basic game design in our shield, and/or health, going down. Being forcibly turned toward the hit in any Shooter is poor mechanics. If you want to get technical, such a heavy hit should either (1) send you prone, or (2) send you into the air (both of which exist in the game via some Arkfall explosions, or the bombardment at the Dark Matter Major Arkfalls). The additional penalty would then be in the slow nature the character usually takes to get back to his feet, thereby allowing the attacker to close the distance or get off an extra shot or two.

But being turned toward the hit is counter-intuitive, and serves no real purpose outside of being annoying as all hell.

I am scratching my head at several of the basic game design choices they made in this game.

skepticck
08-25-2013, 02:16 PM
This seems to me like a new crap "feature" for consoles, like the "aim assist" and the new change in melee attacks "melee assist".
there should be an option to turn all these "assists" off.

Indra Echo
08-25-2013, 02:24 PM
There are other games that do this as well. It's apparently a way to help you target who is doing the most damage to you at the time and that's how other games have used it. Might be best if there was an option to turn it off or one that worked.

Indra Echo
08-25-2013, 02:25 PM
I am 99% of the time running my sniper loadout so I actually like this, I mostly focus on the heavy hitters first and since I automaticly get aimed to them it's makes sniping even more easy.

Yeah, one example of where getting rid of it altogether would be bad for some other players--so a toggle off would be really helpful.

Celke
08-25-2013, 02:42 PM
Yeah, one example of where getting rid of it altogether would be bad for some other players--so a toggle off would be really helpful.

Getting rid of me won't be "bad" lol.

I am just saying that I always hit those snipers / heavy hitters first so this "feature" makes the game even more easier in how I play.

Rasczak
08-25-2013, 05:48 PM
There are other games that do this as well. It's apparently a way to help you target who is doing the most damage to you at the time and that's how other games have used it. Might be best if there was an option to turn it off or one that worked.

Are those other games Shooters?

I know some MMOs do this, and in a normal MMO combat system it isn't an issue. But my 15 year old plays a lot of shooters on Xbox, and walked away from Defiance after the first month of live-launch. One thing he always cited as bad was the turning toward a heavy-hit. So, either this isn't usually done in Shooters, or Defiance does it, but in a poor way by comparison.

I don't play Shooters outside of this game, so don't know first-hand.

Yewa
08-25-2013, 06:12 PM
It affects us through basic game design in our shield, and/or health, going down. Being forcibly turned toward the hit in any Shooter is poor mechanics. If you want to get technical, such a heavy hit should either (1) send you prone, or (2) send you into the air (both of which exist in the game via some Arkfall explosions, or the bombardment at the Dark Matter Major Arkfalls). The additional penalty would then be in the slow nature the character usually takes to get back to his feet, thereby allowing the attacker to close the distance or get off an extra shot or two.

But being turned toward the hit is counter-intuitive, and serves no real purpose outside of being annoying as all hell.

I am scratching my head at several of the basic game design choices they made in this game.

I'm really surprised to see people defending this mechanic. It makes no sense whatsoever to instantly do a 180 turn and start running towards your attacker when you are hit by a sniper or any other heavy hitter. Theres not even a staggering mechanic applied to this, it looks absolutely ridiculous.

Notturno
08-25-2013, 06:17 PM
I'm really surprised to see people defending this mechanic. It makes no sense whatsoever to instantly do a 180 turn and start running towards your attacker when you are hit by a sniper or any other heavy hitter. Theres not even a staggering mechanic applied to this, it looks absolutely ridiculous.

That's because it is absolutely ridiculous, it's like a really poorly made form of crowd control. It's irritating enough to lose control of your character, but this is being done in a shooter... you have no recourse to really stop it until you decide to use cover. My biggest gripe though is how the Dark Matter Snipers have this crowd control effect, and they are so incredibly annoying when they hit you during a Shadow War.

It's just another one of the senseless additions, where you wonder what the person was thinking when they decided it needed to be in the game.