PDA

View Full Version : So will the Battle Arena be a horde mode?

Ray101492
05-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Or will it be another PvP type. I generally don't play PvP so I spend most of my time playing co-op maps (and that's losing its charm). I spent an entire year playing ME3 MP so a horde mode will probably get me playing this game forever.

Jack Johnson
05-11-2013, 01:28 PM
I expect so, considering it somehow ties into the story of the DLC, and I doubt they'd do that if it was PvP related.

Also, I played a lot of ME3 MP too. Got 400 hours logged into that, was very close to getting my Best of the Best completion before I quit (just had wave completion on a bunch of characters left, too grindy for me). What a game, what a game. If the Battle Arena was even 1/2 as good as ME3's MP, it could keep the game alive for quite a while.

Orge Lambart
05-11-2013, 01:29 PM
Yeah, horde type of mode would be pretty sweet in this game. Lets hope it is something like that.

Malachi
05-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Yeah from how they mentioned it, it seemed to be tied in with the new story missions, so I don't see how it could be PvP. Those new "Sieges" could very well be PvP related though. I'm guessing the Battle Arenas are like the Brawler's Guild in WoW where you fight really tough enemies all by yourself. Just a series of boss battles. Or you could be fighting hordes of enemies. Just a fun challenge to do solo I'm guessing. I hope it gives Titles and even Gear!

Orge Lambart
05-11-2013, 01:57 PM
Yeah from how they mentioned it, it seemed to be tied in with the new story missions, so I don't see how it could be PvP. Those new "Sieges" could very well be PvP related though. I'm guessing the Battle Arenas are like the Brawler's Guild in WoW where you fight really tough enemies all by yourself. Just a series of boss battles. Or you could be fighting hordes of enemies. Just a fun challenge to do solo I'm guessing. I hope it gives Titles and even Gear!

I don't think they are solo, didn't they say in the blog you could bring your friends along into the arena if they didn't have the DLC content? I could be wrong, my memory sucks.

Jack Johnson
05-11-2013, 02:41 PM
I don't expect it to be much like Brawler's Guild. The likelihood of having an ton of unique boss battles that other players could spectate seems abysmally low. I mean, look at how the game is now - most boss enemies are absurdly overused - only Dekuso, Motherlode, and the last boss are truly unique encounters that aren't used somewhere else in the game. You really think they'd churn out a ton of boss battles for one DLC event?

C0d1esel
05-11-2013, 03:52 PM
If they are smart they'll make it a co-op horde mode.

Myst
05-11-2013, 04:25 PM
If so that is all I will play for a long time.

Jack Johnson
05-11-2013, 05:01 PM
If so that is all I will play for a long time.

Depends on the implementation though. Part of what made ME3's MP fun was the objective rounds. If it is only killing waves of enemies, it could get boring quick.

One of my favorite areas in this game is Sutro Tower, because it mixes wiping out enemies with objectives. First you have to deactivate some turrets, then you have to go onto the roof and fight a mini-boss, then you have to fight off a wave of enemies, then you reactivate some turrets, then you have to hold out for five minutes, then you have to mop up the remaining enemies. So it isn't like Trion isn't capable of doing something similar to ME3 style survival. I just hope they didn't go the lazy route.

Myst
05-11-2013, 05:22 PM
Depends on the implementation though. Part of what made ME3's MP fun was the objective rounds. If it is only killing waves of enemies, it could get boring quick.

One of my favorite areas in this game is Sutro Tower, because it mixes wiping out enemies with objectives. First you have to deactivate some turrets, then you have to go onto the roof and fight a mini-boss, then you have to fight off a wave of enemies, then you reactivate some turrets, then you have to hold out for five minutes, then you have to mop up the remaining enemies. So it isn't like Trion isn't capable of doing something similar to ME3 style survival. I just hope they didn't go the lazy route.

Agreed I loved the way ME3 implemented multiplayer and I was one of the skeptics but then became one of the lovers of the mode. I don't know if they can do some similar things but I sure hope they do the best that they can and make it as enjoyable as possible

Ray101492
05-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Apparently the battle arena will be a dungeon randomizer and not a horde mode
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?67992-More-quot-Enter-the-Castathin-quot-DLC-info.
I am disappoint.

DaMaJaDiZ
05-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Apparently the battle arena will be a dungeon randomizer and not a horde mode
http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?67992-More-quot-Enter-the-Castathin-quot-DLC-info.
I am disappoint.

Could be cool. Horde mode would be cooler.

Donnyrides
05-14-2013, 01:51 PM
I expect so, considering it somehow ties into the story of the DLC, and I doubt they'd do that if it was PvP related.

Also, I played a lot of ME3 MP too. Got 400 hours logged into that, was very close to getting my Best of the Best completion before I quit (just had wave completion on a bunch of characters left, too grindy for me). What a game, what a game. If the Battle Arena was even 1/2 as good as ME3's MP, it could keep the game alive for quite a while.

ME3 MP was one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. So many combos to try and no PVP so nobody could whine about "no way, I shot you". BSN nerf babies kind or wrecked the game though. They always got their way. It was the softest Dev team ever. The met every nerf baby command.

ironhands
05-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Agreed I loved the way ME3 implemented multiplayer and I was one of the skeptics but then became one of the lovers of the mode. I don't know if they can do some similar things but I sure hope they do the best that they can and make it as enjoyable as possible

It was originally designed to be a standalone game. They did a pretty good job with it overall. I haven't done anything higher than silver successfully. I get kicked if I try for anything gold or higher for having a low XP count lol

ironhands
05-14-2013, 01:58 PM
ME3 MP was one of the best gaming experiences I have ever had. So many combos to try and no PVP so nobody could whine about "no way, I shot you". BSN nerf babies kind or wrecked the game though. They always got their way. It was the softest Dev team ever. The met every nerf baby command.

LOL! PvP almost always brings out the worst in people IMO. So many people push it because they need to stroke their own ego, and the second it's bruised, NERF! I have an owie on my ego! I know a few very very competitive shooter players, good guys all around, but when it comes to games where gear makes the difference, instead of player skill, this definitely holds true. Even outside of video games, look at MTG tournaments :P

RegularX
05-14-2013, 01:59 PM

Sigh, yeah. ME3MP had the chance to be a great game all on its own. The overall design, map layouts, weapon balancing, leveling, base coop ... done so well.

Sad that EA decided to milk it for every red cent with a ridiculous RNG structure that made far more likely to get the same unlock over and over again instead of offering any shortcut to better content.

Also sad that the dev team apparently skipped the chapter on replication when it came to working with the Unreal engine.

But even with that, I spent many many hours on it. It would be great if this game could create something similar.

RegularX
05-14-2013, 02:00 PM
It was originally designed to be a standalone game. They did a pretty good job with it overall. I haven't done anything higher than silver successfully. I get kicked if I try for anything gold or higher for having a low XP count lol

I'm amazed you can even still join a game. Maybe it's a PS3 thing - but when I dusted mine off about a month ago there wasn't a match to be found anywhere.

ironhands
05-14-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm amazed you can even still join a game. Maybe it's a PS3 thing - but when I dusted mine off about a month ago there wasn't a match to be found anywhere.

I haven't played in a while, but I'm sure the PC players will keep it alive for a while longer. Didn't they just release a free expansion about 6 weeks ago? Loved my asari vanguard... only kept an smg on me, my uhh charge in really fast attack was so fast that I generally didn't need to shoot anyone at all, just charge into them repeatedly, pingpong between 2 enemies, was great.

fang1192
05-14-2013, 02:15 PM
Sigh, yeah. ME3MP had the chance to be a great game all on its own. The overall design, map layouts, weapon balancing, leveling, base coop ... done so well.

Sad that EA decided to milk it for every red cent with a ridiculous RNG structure that made far more likely to get the same unlock over and over again instead of offering any shortcut to better content.

This. It was ridiculous towards the end. I left because i couldnt get a spitfire or lancer no matter how many credits i spent. There was what? >20 URs at the end? At some point you have to give me an effing carrot thats not lvl 4 ammo.

A horde mode, with the occasional objective waves would be pretty cool. As long as its not Elite unit spam.

LtRobbiesan
05-14-2013, 02:36 PM

Word up bro. Also a big ME3 MP player with over 700hrs logged... I know... Overall they did a great job with it, and I look forward to what they do with the next ME MP experience.

Cavadus
05-14-2013, 02:46 PM
This game definitely needs something similar to ME3's co-op multiplayer.

boosted gear
05-14-2013, 02:56 PM
If they add horde im never leaving... seriously they had to force me off gears by releasing judgment to make sure I never went back.

RegularX
05-14-2013, 03:08 PM
I haven't played in a while, but I'm sure the PC players will keep it alive for a while longer. Didn't they just release a free expansion about 6 weeks ago? Loved my asari vanguard... only kept an smg on me, my uhh charge in really fast attack was so fast that I generally didn't need to shoot anyone at all, just charge into them repeatedly, pingpong between 2 enemies, was great.

Yeah, I think that free expansion might have been when I tried it last. Total ghost town, and I think it was even the weekend at the time. Haven't tried it since.

Same here - I think my favorite build was an Asari with a fast recharge, chaining blasts. Lots of fun.

This. It was ridiculous towards the end. I left because i couldnt get a spitfire or lancer no matter how many credits i spent. There was what? >20 URs at the end? At some point you have to give me an effing carrot thats not lvl 4 ammo.

Yeah, talk about a frickin' grind wall. Once you maxed out builds there was nothing to do but either keep playing or ... keep playing and playing and playing in the hopes of an unlock for something different. And then if you'd been playing long enough, that something different had a semi-decent chance of being a fancy new gun that didn't work properly online :/

Defiance has some level/grind issues, for sure - but at least I don't feel like chewing through keycodes is becoming the sole point.

A proper horde mode might also be a good time to help players try out different tweaks to the DPS set, like healing/defense/etc. Probably more noticeable than the flatout coop runs.

El Hombre
05-14-2013, 03:25 PM
I want to second this. ME3 MP was my first MP-experience (that lasted longer than 30 minutes). I've played ME3 MP a whole year every day > 1.000 hours and did every single challenge (except the platinum-solo). I've played each of those >50 characters on platinum against all 4 enemies.

http://social.bioware.com/n7hq/home/overview/?name=Androhype&platform=ps3

BTW: my wife still playes ME3 MP - and she is No. 1 in Germany/PS3 (by challenge-points).

So: I'd love to have a 4 players co-op horde-mode in the Defiance universe.

LtRobbiesan
05-14-2013, 03:30 PM
Awesome to see so many ME3 MP players here. Despite it's issues and the 'RNGods be damned' it was/is a lot of fun. :)

kobi
05-14-2013, 03:32 PM
As long as we earn weapon exp.

loops73
05-14-2013, 03:58 PM
Or will it be another PvP type. I generally don't play PvP so I spend most of my time playing co-op maps (and that's losing its charm). I spent an entire year playing ME3 MP so a horde mode will probably get me playing this game forever.

I was thinking it would be like 2s and 3s in WoW....I used to love doing those

Larsmodeus
05-15-2013, 12:06 AM
I would love horde mode on this game and lobby system. I loved ME3MP so much, lots of cool powers and builds, Defiance is a bit boring when it comes to powers.

Mr Awesome 0ne
05-15-2013, 12:27 AM

ME3 MP is still my favorite game of all time.

Just short of 1,000 hrs played in MP.

I had everything, including all banners unlocked, except 10 UR weapons, which all came in the last DLC they released.

I will max my Mani-fest someday. If Trion implements something like ME3 MP into Defiance, I may wet my pants, and not with urine.

In fact....I will be right back....:o

Mr Awesome 0ne
05-15-2013, 12:28 AM
I would love horde mode on this game and lobby system. I loved ME3MP so much, lots of cool powers and builds, Defiance is a bit boring when it comes to powers.

I agree with you, and great Avatar.

Larsmodeus
05-15-2013, 02:32 AM
I agree with you, and great Avatar. Thanks, Fury was my favorite character, awesome powers, quick and agile. Blur seems a bit dull compared to annihilation field and biotic explosions. I hope that we will get lots of new powers in the future.

Mr Awesome 0ne
05-15-2013, 03:24 AM
Thanks, Fury was my favorite character, awesome powers, quick and agile. Blur seems a bit dull compared to annihilation field and biotic explosions. I hope that we will get lots of new powers in the future.

Fury was great - But Asari Huntress was my favorite. She, was beast mode.

Jack Johnson
05-15-2013, 05:12 AM
I think the people have spoken.

Hopefully Trion is listening.

Combo Breaker
05-15-2013, 05:54 AM

I would like a horde mode.

I have over 800 hours in ME3 MP and did grind out my Best of the Best banner.