PDA

View Full Version : Does Internet speed test correlate to problems driving/walking in Defiance?

mikepaul
05-12-2013, 03:38 AM
I've had no luck getting good scores in the racing challenges. Making tight turns has caused me to swerve wildly, and I always seem to overcorrect because of the delay between when I see I'm off-course and the signal from my left stick reaches the runner. Or roller.

Walking around is sometimes shaky. I'll push the stick forward and sometimes I'll move backwards. Or sideways.

http://www.speedtest.net/ created the results I pasted into my signature. If anyone who has had no problems steering can please run a test and tell me their results, I'd appreciate it. There was one value even worse than 25ms.

If it's not ping or something, it must be my console since two different controllers have the same results. If it was my thumb or my general reflexes, I think I'd have a LOT more trouble in this game than just moving...

mikepaul
05-17-2013, 03:19 AM
Due to no responses, I've moved on with my sig. Another day, another issue...

Bumbles
05-17-2013, 03:26 AM
Check your NAT. Moderate NAT will cause quite a few problems. My friend cannot for some strange reason, change his NAT to open and it is causing him some rather painful lag issues.

S7YLEE
05-17-2013, 04:33 AM
here is mine and i run finehttp://www.speedtest.net/result/2713850336.png

mikepaul
05-19-2013, 02:02 PM
I'd probably run fine too at triple the download and half the ping of my current connection.

No incentive over here for that kind of performance. Enjoy it...

mikepaul
05-19-2013, 02:05 PM
Check your NAT. Moderate NAT will cause quite a few problems. My friend cannot for some strange reason, change his NAT to open and it is causing him some rather painful lag issues.
I believe NAT isn't the issue, although I can't find any translation guide for the numbers that the 360's connection test returns, so I'd know what's going on there.

My router needed a hard reset to fix some oddity, and when I added the network to my laptop I enabled a security key. The PS3 reported a '2' for the NAT number after getting it reconnected and I think that's open...

gamingreal
05-19-2013, 02:08 PM
heres mine http://www.speedtest.net/result/2718665860.png
and no notable issues, bad for downloads though, that's the problem with internet in cornwall.
actually looks shockingly bad in comparison to others

mikepaul
05-19-2013, 02:28 PM
I played Borderlands 2 the other day, and the character didn't turn around at random while walking like the one in Defiance does.

I had a rent-one-get-one-free code for Redbox and neither Crysis 3 nor Dishonored suffered from any movement problems.

That's what keeps me coming back to the Defiance server and my connection to it as the issue.

However, I could stop trying to drive the rollers and runners by watching where they are going and moving at the last moment to go in the correct direction. I could do it like the way the Soviet sub navigated the trenches in The Hunt For Red October, where they called out the time for the next turn from some logbook. Ungodly amounts of practice would be involved, though, so I probably won't. And that means it's about time to get a new wired controller and see if that helps. New sticks, no wireless. If that isn't it, time for new hands...