PDA

View Full Version : The Nim fight is stupid

Biznatchio
05-12-2013, 02:45 PM
So what do I get when entering the fight Im told that because I have an implant, I have a chance. When I get in there the implant means nothing. Why the implant was even mentioned makes no sense to the story line if its not a factor in the fight. - Totally useless dialogue script. This is not an authentic fight which keeps to the spirit of the story line.

The fight is also problematic because of a

1. Buggy UI that is laggy and loses itself on PC which does not allow you to shoot/aim or actually run away at times- you freeze long enough for him to trash you

2. Ammo clips loose contents when switching weapons and trying to reload- sometimes that extra 90 rounds makes a difference in living or dying because you do not have to stop and reload ammo

3. Lag at ammo boxes having to double press E reload because the UI stops the initial ammo reload

4. Fight mechanic that really is not conducive to solo play and cuts down play styles because it funnels you into mashing roll maneuvers and running while shooting from the hip seriously did you decide to screw player builds which werent about mobility?

5. Cloak does not work because he sees you so might as well forget any back attacks unless you are real lucky and end up in a position behind him which is rare in this fight

6. Poorly coded geography in the fight space where you actually can get hung up on stuff along the walls when there is nothing in the room which allows Nim to charge you while you have to mash the jump bar hoping to get out of the area with enough health to survive

7. e to revive instantly is bugged so even when its appears as an option and its hit the game throws you out to restart again costing you script because it did not work.

8. Nim has all the special attacks and moves and all you have nothing as a counter balance not even a weapon drop like other scenarios in game which could help to whittle down opponents.

9. Cannot progress through this boss fight in phases because the game forces you to restart the instance if you leave the map and try and come back later or try the next day. This either because of a bug or this is intentional. You go right back to having to run it from the very beginning clearing stuff just how fair is it to have to completely restart when you have already done the clearing

Sitting here with broad band 100, quad - core I7- 960 processors, 16 gigs of ram, mechanical keyboard and a usb connected mouse and I cant even get a clean fight in.

Some suggestions:

1. Either reduce NIMS health, damage production or allow for a way to slow him down- anyone of those areas would improve player experience

2. Give players a timed way of doing damage or increasing/regenerating health that makes sense and allows them to whittle down NIM- allow for some sort of item drop in the room that becomes available at certain times

3. Allow players to choose when to transition from one phase to another do not force them into the stages for instance sometimes its a big help when you can actually go to the washroom before continuing a fight

I get people saying its supposed be tough fight with NIM. - No need to apologise for the creators.
Its not a true fight in the spirit of the story line nor did the creators funnel your play style to actually build you up to learn/ train for that fight.

Honestly Trion when you bent me over you put sand in the Vaseline that you used on me. irritating.

Heres a tip No MMO/MMORPG that I have seen since 1997 has ever survived and was sustainable catering to Hard-core players only. Your financial model and poor product quality control will probably kill this game by word of mouth which is unfortunate.

Arsenic_Touch
05-12-2013, 02:59 PM
Sorry but no, the only difficult fight in this game does not need to be nerfed. If you're having so much trouble, use a BMG.

This is one of the most casual games on the market that happens to have an end boss worthy of the title(end boss), the rest of the game needs to be ramped up before they worry about nerfing nim.

FizzyMyNizzy
05-12-2013, 03:04 PM
Is the game really that hard? I beat him 2 times already and I am working my way for the 3rd time. Yea there are some instance glitch making the NPC that helps you not doing anything. Other than that on the Nim fight I had no problems. You guys sure love to make thing game sound super hard. When it isn't.

Zorlond
05-12-2013, 03:26 PM
Going down the list of your 'problems'...

1. That's a tech support issue, go talk to them about it. I didn't have any problems.

2. There's ammo crates that insta-fill your supply in all boss fights. Not that hard to go get some when you need it. They're even marked on the mini-map if you have trouble finding them.

3. Nuisance, but never killed me. Like I said, boss ammo boxes insta-fill your supply, you don't need to stand there holding E.

4. The build I used for fighting Nim was strictly about durability. HPs, regen, and shield recovery. Dodging was plenty necessary, and I had no problems doing it. I also aim-shot my SMG most of the fight, only hip-shot when he got in close.

5. Use Blurr instead. I did. I don't even like Cloak.

6. Bumping into the wall in a boss fight is on the level of 'mistake' all by itself. You move less distance and thus are more likely to get hit. So why are you up against the wall?

7. I wasn't even down once. Maybe the fight is deliberately set up to you fall down, it's over?

8. This is just pure whine.

9. Probably intentional. I can't recall any MMOs that let you start a boss fight in the middle just because you cleared the early part.

All in all? Leave Nim alone. I was actually proud I got through the fight, that's a rare thing for me these days, for any game.

Dexter
05-12-2013, 03:32 PM
99% of the thousands of people playing has experienced the same stuff as you do and they call him an easy kill. There's nothing challenging in Defiance.

Crais
05-12-2013, 04:13 PM
Killed him 3 times now and am working my way towards a fourth (yes, i lover redoing the quests). Have killed him with Cloak, Decoy, and Overcharge so far and intend to use Blur the 4th kill. Nim is in no way hard. From what I'm told by clan-mates Nim was near impossible in Alpha and has been even toned down from what he was in Beta.

davjones
05-12-2013, 04:18 PM
I'm going to say he was extremely hard considering I lost 5 thousand scrip to him. That fight should not have had a death penalty. Anyone who says he's easy is an ego monkey.

Crais
05-12-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm going to say he was extremely hard considering I lost 5 thousand scrip to him. That fight should not have had a death penalty. Anyone who says he's easy is an ego monkey.

You died 28 times fighting Nim? TWENTY EIGHT times? Were you AFK during some of those deaths because Nim is in no way that hard.

Dazz
05-12-2013, 04:26 PM
Ain't gonna lie. I've defeated him twice and neither time was easy for me. I figure he's about right. Easy as pie for some and harder than hell for others.

If you're good enough to make it to the fight, you're good enough to win.

If you're struggling, you need better strategy and tactics. Its not a no-brainer fight, but it can be done: http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?59473-The-Old-Fart-s-Guide-to-Nim-(big-post)

piercehead
05-12-2013, 04:26 PM
So what do I get when entering the fight Im told that because I have an implant, I have a chance. When I get in there the implant means nothing. Why the implant was even mentioned makes no sense to the story line if its not a factor in the fight. - Totally useless dialogue script. This is not an authentic fight which keeps to the spirit of the story line.

So those powers and perks you have because of the EGO, they mean nothing? It is a factor and is borne out by the story and the fight.

DAWG
05-12-2013, 04:27 PM

Alternatively, they watched what he was doing, and, when then learned to counter it. Nim is not a tough fight! Can you just stand there and spam bullets at him? NO! Do you have to use a smidgen of common sense and watch for him setting up for a specific attack? YES! He's a challenge, but not much of a challenge.

If you lost 5k Scrip to him you were not learning from your mistakes, or were at least learning at a very slow rate.

Dazz
05-12-2013, 04:29 PM
You died 28 times fighting Nim? TWENTY EIGHT times? Were you AFK during some of those deaths because Nim is in no way that hard.

I died at least that many times on my first encounter with him and I'm not ashamed to admit it. I'm very good at some things in my life, just not this. Took me the better part of a week to finally figure it out. Everyone is not the same. Some are naturals and some take practice and patience.

mbergeron
05-12-2013, 04:30 PM
The nim fight was pretty easy. Just jump around and shoot him with a detonator on all three phases and it is super easy. I found that the fight go easier as it went on since there a more cover to hide and recover behind. He did some sort of strange castithan death jig during his death cut scene which was nice to see. He also says something before every attack giving you time to prepare for it and use the terra spire tube in the middle to avoid many of his attacks.

DariusCalera
05-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Fought him for the first time today and died 3 times. On one of them my "E" key glitched out but other than that it was a good bit of pillar humping to stay out of his AOE attacks.

Altogether, even though it was mildly difficult at times, I thought the fight was the funnest one out of all of them that I have done.

Went in there with a green level AR with fire effect from Top Notch and a Respark shield.

Gratty
05-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Barbie Island Princess is more difficult than the Nim fight.

davjones
05-12-2013, 04:36 PM
Alternatively, they watched what he was doing, and, when then learned to counter it. Nim is not a tough fight! Can you just stand there and spam bullets at him? NO! Do you have to use a smidgen of common sense and watch for him setting up for a specific attack? YES! He's a challenge, but not much of a challenge.

If you lost 5k Scrip to him you were not learning from your mistakes, or were at least learning at a very slow rate.

No I did not do anything quite so stupid as to believe I was immortal. The only real tactical process in that entire fight was avoid and evade. and when he did his pillars routine the trick was to stand behind one and try to aoe him and his duplicates. Every step of his fight was a pinball slam. I excel at monster hunter and dark souls. Just because you know how to counter doesnt necessarily mean that its certain victory 3/4 of my dodge rolling got hit by him on a rebound. My losing 5k scrip was because he was hard not because of any mental defficiency that you are stating.

FizzyMyNizzy
05-12-2013, 06:55 PM
Beat Nim for the 3rd time like an hour ago.
http://i.imgur.com/c3jIpcp.jpg
http://i.imgur.com/AH2wlCp.jpg

NIKOLA
05-12-2013, 07:55 PM
Beat Nim for the 3rd time like an hour ago.

i cleared him again with ease, however my attempts to hit escape during the final cinematics ended with me being ported back outside. Having to drop mission and restart....right, i'll take a rain check.

krazyx86
05-12-2013, 08:07 PM
I'm sorry, but if you cannot beat Nim, do NOT blame any of the game's "mechanics" on it at all because the issues you seem to be having are simply not there. You sir, need to learn to play. High speed internet and a powerful computer mean NOTHING if you can't aim and dodge.. Nim is a joke..

Biznatchio
05-12-2013, 08:07 PM
wow love how people assume I did not complete the fight- which I already have. lol. Used an AR with cloak no BMGS.

People with standard responses about how its easy and I did it make me laugh.

Its still an asinine fight given story line and how buggy the game is.

Probably the worst fight given game context I have seen in a few years. The plot is pretty shallow as it is and that fight weakens it even further.

Like I said it's a stupid fight and its going to cost Trion long term players.

Anyone saying different has got their head up their....A^%$#@@ss.

krazyx86
05-12-2013, 08:27 PM
wow love how people assume I did not complete the fight- which I already have. lol. Used an AR with cloak no BMGS.

Probably the worst fight given game context I have seen in a few years. The plot is pretty shallow as it is and that fight weakens it even further.

Maybe I didn't care enough to read that you actually beat him or not, but my point still stands.. The fight with Nim is perfect the way it is. I don't see what issues you could have been having, the problems you described are something I personally did not experience..

Sargonnax
05-12-2013, 08:48 PM
Sorry but no, the only difficult fight in this game does not need to be nerfed. If you're having so much trouble, use a BMG.

This is one of the most casual games on the market that happens to have an end boss worthy of the title(end boss), the rest of the game needs to be ramped up before they worry about nerfing nim.

I agree. The Nim fight was fun and should be left alone. It was one of the most challenging solo fights Ive seen in many games.

Natjur
05-12-2013, 08:55 PM
When I did this for the second time (doing all the missions again) I used a saw-off shotgun. Just waited for him to attack me and shot. It was so easy. (run while it reloads tho)

theyeti
05-12-2013, 09:02 PM
Fizzy I generally like what you post, but your SS had the Detu Ara as your reward, which you only get the first time you defeat Nim, I think you post wrong ss, Otherwise it would have been a random loot chest.

I thought Nim was hard when I did him the first time, the second time I only got downed 1 time because I got knocked back and stuck in the teraspire unable to move/shoot. I don't want to say he was easy, because that oversimplifies things. It is a fight that you need to learn what the proper response to his actions are.

I used decoy, I always use decoy, it is EZ mode.

Phase 1 used a scoped AR with lifesteal, just shot the replicants and Nim before he gets to your side of the room, if he makes his way close to you pop decoy BEFORE he is on top of you.
When he goes up on the ledge and copies himself however many times spray at as many of the nims as you can until you hear the critical hit noise, then shoot that nim and it will stop the entire attack.

When he does his chargeing at you attack there are words he says/actions he does to indicate this, learn them, and use roll to dodge them. Same goes for his air attack. There are also things to hide behind.

When the spire goes active they will make glowing outlines on the ground to show where the minitowers or whatever you wanna call them are going to spawn, DON'T stand on them, and when they spawn destroy a bunch of them around you so you have a safe area to be in, as they will explode shortly after they're made.

Watch a youtube guide or something. When I fought him I thought to myself, "This is great, I bet there will be a bunch of people who have a really tough time on this, like an end boss should be." This entire gaming generation is a hold your hand ez mode mentality, I'm glad at least 1 fight was semi difficult.

Balan
05-12-2013, 10:34 PM

I totally disagree it took me over 2 months to get Nim he is way out of wack!!!!

Merrin Nightbringer
05-12-2013, 10:39 PM
I totally disagree it took me over 2 months to get Nim he is way out of wack!!!!

2... months....?

Obvious troll is obvious?

...anyway. The Nim fight is highly entertaining, just as it is. I despair at the number of nerf requests I see for this... it makes me sad for the future of gaming.

krazyx86
05-12-2013, 10:49 PM
Fizzy I generally like what you post, but your SS had the Detu Ara as your reward, which you only get the first time you defeat Nim, I think you post wrong ss, Otherwise it would have been a random loot chest.

He deleted and restarted his character, so in this case he would have gotten the Detu Ara again.

Schwa
05-12-2013, 10:51 PM
There's no problems with the Nim fight itself. The problem is the game doesn't prepare many players for that fight.

Biznatchio
05-12-2013, 10:52 PM
2... months....?

...anyway. The Nim fight is highly entertaining, just as it is. I despair at the number of nerf requests I see for this... it makes me sad for the future of gaming.

Yep then if that's a boss fight for the casual gamer hats off to the ones who stick it through.

3rdpig
05-12-2013, 10:56 PM
The Nim fight is annoying, too long and his patter is teenage B movie gangster. What it's not is super hard.

Learn his pattern, learn to avoid his strongest attacks and nail him when he's weak. It's slow and annoying, but it's really not that hard.

The easiest time I had with him was with a SAW with an extended mag and Overcharge and all the perks to extend OC and shorten the cooldown. I could keep nearly constant fire on him, he really doesn't like that. I was surprised at how fast he went down.

NightfallRob
05-13-2013, 12:49 AM
I see your point about the story line because your powers help but not that much. The fight is much more about learning a pattern and predicting it than it is about the character's Ego power. As much of a pain as the fight is, and for most standard MMO players it is a pain regardless of what the e-peen crowd tries to claim, it should be hard. This is, sadly, the primary boss battle for the game.

The thing I find annoying about it is the lack of a group option. That fight is 100% console-style game play. A lot of people who play MMOs or PC games do not play console games. In addition, this is the final/main battle in the game. Why, in an MMO, is this not a group fight? Or at the very least, why is there not a group option available? This is where the logic behind the fight falls apart for me. Nim is supposed to be a fiend, I get that, but why in a world of multiple ark hunters with Ego implants would you not form a team for this? The best part of an MMO is social game play. For my own two cents, a group option should exist for Nim. It allows for MMO mechanics that emphasize teamwork to be an option for people who have a rough time with the solo fight and it actually puts the "MM" in the "MMO."

Sogreth
05-13-2013, 01:57 AM
Dont make it hard for yourself! Use a bmg spanner lol!

Balan
05-13-2013, 02:55 AM
2... months....?

Sorry to disappoint you. But I wasn't kidding or trolling. I would try the Nim fight a few times give up and try again a few days later when I calmed down from trying him the last time. So yes it took 2 months. I gave up on him for a week or so as I didn't want to be stuck on that stupid mission so I could do side quests until I felt like trying him again. That fight is horrid!!

FizzyMyNizzy
05-13-2013, 03:53 AM

I think I have the screen shot of me deleting, yes deleting my 4574 ego rating char. Was able to take back my char name. I will see can I find it and repost it.

The orange list:
http://i.imgur.com/u47MTwm.jpg
The level 4574 ego char:
http://i.imgur.com/zMFJQa1.jpg
The highlight over yes deleting my char:
http://i.imgur.com/AMn8NcV.jpg
The char now gone:
http://i.imgur.com/CNlb4bs.jpg

Schwa
05-13-2013, 03:54 AM
I think I have the screen shot of me deleting, yes deleting my 4574 ego rating char. Was able to take back my char name. I will see can I find it and repost it.

Fizzy is well-known for doing this. I can confirm as President of the forums.

Though I still think they're barking mad. :D

FizzyMyNizzy
05-13-2013, 04:21 AM

13 orange weapons, 1 flash bomb orange, 1 orange shield that I mistaken sold or salvage early in the game.
I am sure they are mad seeing me have it, and then delete the char. LOL.

Did 2 things yesterday. Finished the main mission and finished the time trail. Got the black dodge.

Schwa
05-13-2013, 04:23 AM
13 orange weapons, 1 flash orange, 1 orange shield that I mistaken sold or salvage early in the game.
I am sure they are mad seeing me have it, and then delete the char. LOL.

Did 2 things yesterday. Finished the main mission and finished the time trail. Got the black dodge.

Oh wow, the black dodge?! It's like you've hit an alternate dimension where the game just came out the day before yesterday!

All the cool kids were driving around in the black Dodge. Red was for the wannabes.

Ukonius
05-13-2013, 04:25 AM

Gonna have to agree with this player. Took me several attempts to kill Nim, which I cursed the Gods and wished for a nerf during the battles. When I completed it I looked back and was glad to have such a worthy, current, end-game boss.

I can only hope future bosses are equally worthy. If anyone is having extreme trouble after several attempts it may be a good idea to open more perks and wait for better weapons etc etc

Just because you get to Nim doesn't mean you are READY for Nim. :)

FizzyMyNizzy
05-13-2013, 04:27 AM
Oh wow, the black dodge?! It's like you've hit an alternate dimension where the game just came out the day before yesterday!

All the cool kids were driving around in the black Dodge. Red was for the wannabes.

I love the Duni so much more.

Schwa
05-13-2013, 04:36 AM
I love the Duni so much more.

That's all right, you have the even cooler pink duni now!

Houngan
05-13-2013, 04:38 AM
I knew what to expect before hand because of the threads and linked vids here (thanks all!). I would say he was still challenging. The noteworthy parts of my build are that I used cloak and defensive talents like the one that reduces damage when your shield brakes and the one that reduces the cooldown on the self revive. I also used a Respark Shield and a BMG so I was able to power through his damage when cloak was active.

I hope this advice helps.
1. Keep moving
2. Combat roll every time he poses for an attack
3. Keep distance
4. On the third part just keep him on the other side of a pillar and peak out to shoot

FizzyMyNizzy
05-13-2013, 04:40 AM
That's all right, you have the even cooler pink duni now!

Oh hell no.. Got the 29k blue duni instead.

Rudal
05-13-2013, 04:52 AM
I would say that Nim is pretty easy.
I died 3 or 4 times (once due to a glitch where I got stuck between a wall and one of his pillars)
But I wouldnt say he is a hard boss.
Dont know why peple are complaining about that fight?
And I stant with all that say ''leave Nim alone.''

Dracian
05-13-2013, 06:03 AM
Oh... Come on, THAT thread again ?

soarra
05-13-2013, 06:28 AM
i wish they would put Nim back to what he was in the Alpha, hes a joke now.

cwo
05-14-2013, 07:00 PM
I tried sniping him, bad idea. Im going to use my pistol.

cwo
05-14-2013, 07:36 PM
pistol worked, has anyone done it with a sniper?

FizzyMyNizzy
05-14-2013, 08:41 PM

Got most of the stuff done. main mission done, side mission done, hotshot etc., done, data recorder done. Now, the slow grind.

I think ego now is 1.1k

Schwa
05-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Got most of the stuff done. main mission done, side mission done, hotshot etc., done, data recorder done. Now, the slow grind.

I think ego now is 1.1k

Good god. You're a masochist for doing it twice!

FizzyMyNizzy
05-14-2013, 08:46 PM
Good god. You're a masochist for doing it twice!

Well doing it right this time, no more broken weekly grind, no more hucker, etc, etc, etc,. as long as nothing related to cheat/exploits/anything else I am missing. Don't want to hurt some one else thats playing legit. I lost my soulmate for what I have done. long story short..

PS: Where is my bad @$$ meme?

WhiteCell
05-14-2013, 08:48 PM
i wish they would put Nim back to what he was in the Alpha, hes a joke now.

Go on.....

I think Nim should have been a raid (8 player) cooperative event instead of a anti climatic solo affair in an MMO.

Miserere
05-14-2013, 08:49 PM

I think ego now is 1.1k
You are already up to 1.1k?!?!
http://i.imgur.com/KeXdT.gif

Do you not sleep, Fizzy? XD

FizzyMyNizzy
05-14-2013, 08:52 PM
You are already up to 1.1k?!?! *takes a sip of her beer and sips it across the room* Do you not sleep, Fizzy? XD

Sleep?
http://global3.memecdn.com/Sleep-is-for-the-weak_o_72981.jpg

oh and how are you doing?'what's your ego now?

Schwa
05-14-2013, 08:53 PM
Well doing it right this time, no more broken weekly grind, no more hucker, etc, etc, etc,. as long as nothing related to cheat/exploits/anything else I am missing. Don't want to hurt some one else thats playing legit. I lost my soulmate for what I have done. long story short..

PS: Where is my bad @$$ meme?

Meanwhile, at the Trion offices:

http://www.whatarememes.com/cargo/evil-raccoon.jpg

Miserere
05-14-2013, 08:54 PM
Daw! Poor Fizzy! *pets you gently* Here. Here's some Cheez-Its.

FizzyMyNizzy
05-14-2013, 08:59 PM
Daw! Poor Fizzy! *pets you gently* Here. Here's some Cheez-Its.

I haven't gotten the "we got a bad @$$ here" meme for the longest. And also some one asking am I god. but as god with out a goddess. QQ.

Miserere
05-14-2013, 09:04 PM
I haven't gotten the "we got a bad @$$ here" meme for the longest. And also some one asking am I god. but as god with out a goddess. QQ.
Just for you, my lovable Fizzy! <3's

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4wp73gu2J1r20mfio1_500.gif

FizzyMyNizzy
05-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Just for you, my lovable Fizzy! <3's

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4wp73gu2J1r20mfio1_500.gif

Thank you =D

Miserere
05-14-2013, 09:13 PM
Thank you =D

You're welcome! <(^-^)>

Reiter
05-14-2013, 09:29 PM
Nim is the only reason I won't do the story over, but that is because he is annoying. He isn't difficult as long as you dodge, problem is the entire game play is 3/4 dodging for that fight, it got boring fast. Then when you got unlucky...repeat the entire thing over. Not interesting, just boring.

To the OP, get a heavy scatter gun. It looks like a remington pump shotgun, has 7 shots (if its not bonused) and hits 168x12. Secondary weapon is a BMG to repair your shields. Once you get passed the first phase (the hardest, cause there is no cover) it is easier since you can duck behind things. Also use a standard grenade, for the third stage to destroy the crystals. I used cloak, to give some breathing room and top off shields as back up to the BMG. Should take you maybe half an hour until you win once you get it down. Trust me, the FRC Heavy Scatter pump makes it really easy...a guy I work with suggested it, worked for me, reccomended it to my brother, and he finished it within a day.

Antimony
05-14-2013, 10:04 PM
Nim was actually a little disappointing after I've read all the whining about him on the forums.
I was expecting to be dying for a few days, instead I finished him in about 20 minutes - and I'm no badass. :)

Overall, not what I would call a hard fight - some of the Rampage/Hotshots are more difficult and frustrating.

Draogn
05-15-2013, 12:10 AM
The first couple times I tried to fight him I failed, the floor is the biggest thing to watch out, I managed to beat him by changing my weapons. I found a good rebound grenade launcher and a good BMG and just ran around, occasionally using cloak if I needed to get away quick.

proto
05-15-2013, 01:47 AM
I beat him on my second try. Shotguns. Just shotguns.

Callek
05-15-2013, 03:32 AM
My comments:

* Nim was hard, so hard in fact that I was trying for multiple days.
* I personally feel I suck at FPS's, but I love the stories genre setting. So I gave this a shot.
* I like (for me) the challenge level of most of the game, I die a lot but not too much to give up.
* I had to redo my whole ego grid and shield/etc for the NIM fight after I watched a "how to" youtube video for it.
* Until I watched said video I never got past the first part of the nim fight
* Video suggested a BMG which I passed on due to low damage output, but clearly my assault rifle didn't cut it.
* With a BMG and learning his patterns I was able to beat him in just 2 tries. (having never used a BMG before)
* BMGs allow you to quickly refil your shield
* If anything NIM should be harder or basically negate BMG's in at least one phase of his 3 phases... as it stands BMGs are great for all phases, with the only penalty of time investment.
** Yes I'm saying this after I beat him, and also knowing that I probably still wouldn't have beat him if it wasn't for the BMG ease.
* I'm still enjoying the game.

Schwa
05-15-2013, 03:34 AM
My comments:

* Nim was hard, so hard in fact that I was trying for multiple days.
* I personally feel I suck at FPS's, but I love the stories genre setting. So I gave this a shot.
* I like (for me) the challenge level of most of the game, I die a lot but not too much to give up.
* I had to redo my whole ego grid and shield/etc for the NIM fight after I watched a "how to" youtube video for it.
* Until I watched said video I never got past the first part of the nim fight
* Video suggested a BMG which I passed on due to low damage output, but clearly my assault rifle didn't cut it.
* With a BMG and learning his patterns I was able to beat him in just 2 tries. (having never used a BMG before)
* BMGs allow you to quickly refil your shield
* If anything NIM should be harder or basically negate BMG's in at least one phase of his 3 phases... as it stands BMGs are great for all phases, with the only penalty of time investment.
** Yes I'm saying this after I beat him, and also knowing that I probably still wouldn't have beat him if it wasn't for the BMG ease.
* I'm still enjoying the game.

Play through the storyline again. It won't take as long this time, and I promise you'll be shocked at how much easier he is (and how much you've improved!) your second time.

Jophiel
05-15-2013, 05:31 AM
I beat Nim in a short amount of time with no deaths. Just decoy'ed to replenish shields when low. and proceeded to demolish him with an infector.

Ngamok
05-15-2013, 07:26 AM
I don't know how people are having a hard time with this. Yes, using ADS will probably get you hit too often and hip firing is way to go, or use a grenade launcher. I used a Clustershot Shotgun. The one that fires grenades. Also get the perks that give you 225 health, 6% damage resistance and some HP regen and a shield that has it. And just pound on him while using the pillars to shield his attacks.

Anthalus
05-15-2013, 08:07 AM
First time I tried him he killed me 3 times as I was daft enough to try using a sniper rifle in the first phase, i realsied this wasn't working to switched to the SMG I had as a secondary and didn't find stages 2 or 3 particularly hard after I realised the pillars block his jumping in the air spinny move, have re-run the story and second time round took him to pieces with an AR, I found stealth worked ok in the first stage when I was trying to use a sniper rifle, but recharge was too long for it to be really useful. Second time round I didn't use an EGO power once during the fight. I come from a FPS gaming background having started with Doom so the mechanics suit me fine, Unreal boss fights made Nim look like a *****.

Malikaidan
05-15-2013, 08:51 AM
I agree he is hard but guess what i beat him with no problem, i use cloak. You are just not using a good strategy nothing more. Why ruin it for other players because you cannot beat him

Glacian
05-15-2013, 08:57 AM
I'm afraid if enough people whine they're gonna make this game even easier. There are already no real challenges, not even Nim. If what you're doing isn't working, do something else.

pappacube
05-15-2013, 10:10 AM
Let me chime in by saying that since I hit this fight and could not go forward (as far as i know) in the main story line until i beat this $!$@&, i have not cared to play this game anymore. Take that comment any way you care to of no consequence to me really....

OldGamer71
05-15-2013, 10:18 AM
I have yet to do this fight but I have been in plenty of tough fights where I died a few times just do to the sheer number of enemies you face when alone. I'm above average at shooters I think anyone who acts like their isn't any challenging fights or that they don't die are exaggerating.

Shismar
05-15-2013, 10:43 AM
I have beaten Nim twice but I also wasted 3 hours of my live on my first unsuccessful attempt. The problem is not the action itself so much, that is just boring crap you have to wade through, but how there is no way to step away from the fight after being defeated and reconfigure your loadouts. Not to mention that you need to go through all the garbage you have already beaten again if you leave the area. This fight could be much more palpable without toning down the difficulty but just making it less of an ordeal.

As it is, there are many players that have issues with this fight and even though I can beat him at will now, it is just an unpleasant chore. No sense of achievement or even FUN because it is so bloody dumb and predictable. That is what I call bad game design.

maxila
05-15-2013, 11:43 AM
1. Buggy UI that is laggy and loses itself on PC which does not allow you to shoot/aim or actually run away at times- you freeze long enough for him to trash you

FYI, I've done the main missions and Nim fight twice with an older Intel Core 2 Duo Quad Processor @ 3.6GHz with 8GB Ram and a GTX680 and I did not have this problem.

2. Ammo clips loose contents when switching weapons and trying to reload- sometimes that extra 90 rounds makes a difference in living or dying because you do not have to stop and reload ammo

This has not happened to me during the fight either.

3. Lag at ammo boxes having to double press “E” reload because the UI stops the initial ammo reload

They worked quickly and I didn't see a glitch on this either.

4. Fight mechanic that really is not conducive to solo play and cuts down play styles because it funnels you into mashing roll maneuvers and running while shooting from the hip – seriously did you decide to screw player builds which weren’t about mobility?

You do have to be mobile and I see how it can be hard if you played all the other missions not learning how to fight using a mobile play style; however I don't see how they can accommodate a non-mobile play style and still have any challenge left in that fight?

5. Cloak does not work because he sees you so might as well forget any back attacks unless you are real lucky and end up in a position behind him which is rare in this fight

I used cloak in this fight and I agree at times he seemed to see me with it up, most of the time it appeared to work and it helped.

6. Poorly coded geography in the fight space where you actually can get hung up on stuff along the walls when there is nothing in the room which allows Nim to charge you while you have to mash the jump bar hoping to get out of the area with enough health to survive

I did get hung up in one place once in the two fights and it caused me to die. However it is not nearly as glitchy as you are implying.

7. “e” – to revive instantly is bugged so even when its appears as an option and its hit the game throws you out to restart again costing you script because it did not work.

My revive worked fine when I used it.

8. Nim has all the special attacks and moves and all you have nothing as a counter balance not even a weapon drop like other scenarios in game which could help to whittle down opponents.

There are two issues you should look at,

First your computer. Even though you have good hardware that doesn't mean your system is free of viruses, malware, too many processes or programs running in the background, connectivity issues (you have good bandwidth, but there could be a problem in a plethora of places between your computer and the Defiance servers, starting with your router?). Also you didn't metion what video card your using? If you don't have a good one that can also be a source for many of the problems you have described.

Second, unfortunately for this fight you are going to have learn and practice a mobile fighting style. There are a number of YouTube videos for the Nim fight utilizing different strategies and weapons that could be very helpful. I personally used a shotgun and sniper for the first fight and an assault rifle for the second.

NOTE: The first time I fought NIM my video card crashed with Nim at about 5% health in stage two (that was very annoying at the time), so I fought him alomst three times (I RMA'd the card and the new card hasn't given me a hiccup. EVGA told me the returned card failed during their testing it.

Archangel
05-15-2013, 12:58 PM
Sorry, i will admit i didn't read through your whole post as the first issues you have all revolved around latency.

Do you have a slow ISP?
Do you run multiple Monitors?
Do you have applications in the background which are using your ISP such as Pandora or Grooveshark for music?

The fight is fun and not super difficult. It just takes time. But it seems your computer can't handle it as it lags when your at ammo, lags when your fighting AI, and lags when engaging Nim.

Issue seems to be your PC and not the game.

Archangel
05-15-2013, 01:01 PM

Ah i guess i should have read further. Your projecting your opinions out as the definitive opinion yet really its only yours and yours alone.

Trion may loose 1 player by this and it would seem to be you.

Since you said i have my head up my a-$-$ because i differ from your opinion only goes to show how poor of player you are and how much of this thread is troll.

Ty and have a great time finding another game. We dont take kindly to your type around these parts.

Dazz
05-15-2013, 05:52 PM
Stopping to reload your ammo in this fight is a mistake. You just run up to the ammo box, tap "E" or whatever your ammo action thing is and keep moving. You don't wait like in normal missions. I've only ever gotten hung up on the matrix platform. Dunno what's there, a little step up in the floor or something maybe, but anywhere else in the chamber has been my fault for fat-fingering the keyboard.

Biznatchio
05-15-2013, 06:21 PM
Ah i guess i should have read further. Your projecting your opinions out as the definitive opinion yet really its only yours and yours alone.

Trion may loose 1 player by this and it would seem to be you.

Since you said i have my head up my a-$-$ because i differ from your opinion only goes to show how poor of player you are and how much of this thread is troll.

Ty and have a great time finding another game. We dont take kindly to your type around these parts.

yep you definitely got it firmly up there I have to say.

Starch
05-15-2013, 06:30 PM
I defeat him on my 8th try

Cortechs
05-15-2013, 06:55 PM
I got him on my first try. Not bragging, just putting in my experience. I didn't think it was all that difficult, as dodging, hiding, and keeping ammo up were the main elements.

One trick is that his ground attack can be avoided using an old school method. Jumping. :cool:

Ngamok
05-16-2013, 07:23 AM
I have yet to do this fight but I have been in plenty of tough fights where I died a few times just do to the sheer number of enemies you face when alone. I'm above average at shooters I think anyone who acts like their isn't any challenging fights or that they don't die are exaggerating.

Yea, I died to missions that have lots of mobs that gang up on me. Of course on some of them, I didn't take it slow enough to sniper them down some before they got to me.

Reddd
05-16-2013, 10:03 AM
As with the other dozen or so "Nim is hard" threads on these forums I suggest the following:

1. Respec to the Overcharge ability.
2. Buy and equip an SMG for this fight.
3. ????
4. Profit.

A slow-firing weapon makes this fight needlessly more difficult than it has to be. While a fast-firing weapon like an SMG, makes this fight ridiculously easy to complete.

Hellrush
05-16-2013, 10:13 AM

How can you both be that bad? I did my homework and beat him on my first try without dieing.

Biznatchio, The only reason players can beat him is because of the EGO implant. Take that fork out from your nose. Also, get a better computer?

davjones, Get more skills. Even my female friend was able to beat Nim and she is the worst in our group.

Zyndia
05-16-2013, 10:20 AM
1. Either reduce NIMS health, damage production or allow for a way to slow him down- anyone of those areas would improve player experience

2. Give players a timed way of doing damage or increasing/regenerating health that makes sense and allows them to whittle down NIM- allow for some sort of item drop in the room that becomes available at certain times

3. Allow players to choose when to transition from one phase to another do not force them into the stages for instance sometimes its a big help when you can actually go to the washroom before continuing a fight

I get people saying its supposed be tough fight with NIM. - No need to apologise for the creators.
Its not a true fight in the spirit of the story line nor did the creators funnel your play style to actually build you up to learn/ train for that fight.

Honestly Trion when you bent me over you put sand in the Vaseline that you used on me. irritating.

Heres a tip No MMO/MMORPG that I have seen since 1997 has ever survived and was sustainable catering to Hard-core players only. Your financial model and poor product quality control will probably kill this game by word of mouth which is unfortunate.

stop being a noob.

Just did him with no peaks equipped. (Only decoy) white Ego 45 AR and SG. white respark shield and a white fire nade.
he got me to 50% Hp once in stage 3. stage 1-2 was piss easy. even stage 3 was easy.

I am uploading my battle now on youtube. will add link in a few mins

Craymar
05-19-2013, 09:13 AM
This is what happens when you build a cross platform game I guess. This fight is pure and simple stupid. I was expecting this awesome epic end fight using tactics and strategy. Instead we get a Console style twitch arena fight. REALLY!! WTF!! What a let down. Like they didn't have time to make a proper end story line fight and threw this in. Such a disappointment. I sure people that like console style games enjoyed it.

Biznatchio
05-19-2013, 10:39 AM
This is what happens when you build a cross platform game I guess. This fight is pure and simple stupid. I was expecting this awesome epic end fight using tactics and strategy. Instead we get a Console style twitch arena fight. REALLY!! WTF!! What a let down. Like they didn't have time to make a proper end story line fight and threw this in. Such a disappointment. I sure people that like console style games enjoyed it.

Like I said its stupid.

Actually redoing the story line again shows just how badly conceived the story line is. Any other Trion releases will be suspect for me - if they manage to stay afloat after this downsizing.

johnisme
05-19-2013, 03:14 PM
I like the Nim fight,i played it for the fifth time drunk with a xbox controller,i suck at shooters games but i beat him without dying just using an assault rifle and knowing when to move.

Biznatchio
05-19-2013, 04:32 PM
I like the Nim fight,i played it for the fifth time drunk with a xbox controller,i suck at shooters games but i beat him without dying just using an assault rifle and knowing when to move.

Even doing it a second time, doing it quicker and using only a saw + cloak was boring.

It's not an epic fight that is supported by storyline. - it's pretty boring actually. If that's what console gamers consider a good fight -man you have been ripped off.

Paklo
05-20-2013, 12:00 AM
Okay, I am a butthurt whining beach generally. I suck outloud at pvp. If I can beat this guy, anyone should be able to. I used cloak, incendiary nades, and a blaster pistol. Respawned once. If anything the difficulty of most of the game needs to be ramped up a little, (just a little). The Nim fight was great in my opinion, (the thing that finally swayed me into this game's camp).

Also, work on your diplomacy. Starting a thread with phrases like "this game is stupid" is only going to bait the trolls and fanboys. The mods will either ignore it or resent it.

This game does have it's flaws. Lots of 'em even! "Got ninety-nine problems, but the boss ain't one!"

Paklo
05-20-2013, 12:12 AM

End storyline? This is an mmo, and there is DLC left. If anything, Nim is just the boss of the first campaign. Also household computers are just a passing fad. Now excuse me, I have to go play pogs with my pet rock.

Sdric
05-20-2013, 12:17 AM
Try Devil May Cry 1-4

Craymar
05-20-2013, 10:12 AM
Once you learn the fight bragging about doing it over and over is pointless. Once you have the fight down the battle is over.

Biznatchio
05-20-2013, 10:19 AM
Once you learn the fight bragging about doing it over and over is pointless. Once you have the fight down the battle is over.

Nim fight repeated...

http://animal-photography.com/thumbs/gerbil_in_a_gerbil_wheel~AP-1LOZHZ-TH.jpg

Giotto
05-20-2013, 10:42 AM
If you having trouble beating Nim. May i suggest buying a Nintendo Wii.

Done him twice so far, not died once. Bulwarks are tougher.

Crushdaddy
05-20-2013, 12:05 PM

The fight is also problematic because of a

3. Lag at ammo boxes having to double press E reload because the UI stops the initial ammo reload

4. Fight mechanic that really is not conducive to solo play and cuts down play styles because it funnels you into mashing roll maneuvers and running while shooting from the hip seriously did you decide to screw player builds which werent about mobility?

7. e to revive instantly is bugged so even when its appears as an option and its hit the game throws you out to restart again costing you script because it did not work.

9. Cannot progress through this boss fight in phases because the game forces you to restart the instance if you leave the map and try and come back later or try the next day. This either because of a bug or this is intentional. You go right back to having to run it from the very beginning clearing stuff just how fair is it to have to completely restart when you have already done the clearing

Sitting here with broad band 100, quad - core I7- 960 processors, 16 gigs of ram, mechanical keyboard and a usb connected mouse and I cant even get a clean fight in.

Some suggestions:

The Nim fight won't kill this game. The overall game itself will kill itself. The game gets boring in a week. Plus all the bugs and glitches and this game will be dead by july 2013

Xenosaj
05-20-2013, 12:37 PM
I will pay good scrip to watch OP play the original Mega Man game on the NES. Nim ain't got **** on Capcom when it comes to difficult fights and having to start over.

But then again, OP's part of a generation raised to believe everything should be handed to them on a silver platter without ever presenting any true challenge, without forcing them to learn and change their tactics. It's not like this is school in real life where you are legally required to attend, but nevermind that, let's never ask anyone to stop being a neckbeard, hmm?

If the difference between life and death for gaming depends on people like OP continuing to play, then gaming needs to die out, because it will no longer be about quality at all, it will have zero meaning, it will be akin to making everyone play Farmville. By complaining about stupid **** that's ultimately your own damn fault because you suck or refuse to learn, you're the one who's going to end up killing gaming by getting it dumbed down so far that actual good gamers are no longer satisfied and no longer support the industry.

Not like I expect you to care. It's a "dumb" fight after all.

Biznatchio
05-20-2013, 01:25 PM
I will pay good scrip to watch OP play the original Mega Man game on the NES. Nim ain't got **** on Capcom when it comes to difficult fights and having to start over.

But then again, OP's part of a generation raised to believe everything should be handed to them on a silver platter without ever presenting any true challenge, without forcing them to learn and change their tactics. It's not like this is school in real life where you are legally required to attend, but nevermind that, let's never ask anyone to stop being a neckbeard, hmm?

If the difference between life and death for gaming depends on people like OP continuing to play, then gaming needs to die out, because it will no longer be about quality at all, it will have zero meaning, it will be akin to making everyone play Farmville. By complaining about stupid **** that's ultimately your own damn fault because you suck or refuse to learn, you're the one who's going to end up killing gaming by getting it dumbed down so far that actual good gamers are no longer satisfied and no longer support the industry.

Not like I expect you to care. It's a "dumb" fight after all.

Console gamer - rest my case. For you it's good fight. - have at it like a lemming.