PDA

View Full Version : New G13, and a joystick prob, Any hints/tips?

crasher
05-12-2013, 05:33 PM
Fresh out of the box.

Program the keys similarly to the way my Saitek Cyborg Command unit was.
Test everything in the test section of the programming software.
Joystick ^ is the up arrow key.
Joystick v is the down arrow key.
Joystick < is the left arrow key.
Joystick > is the right arrow key.

Test works fine.

Test/calibrate in Win 7 control panel, the dot runs around in circles.
Swell.

The game was using those commands with the Saitek, so I know they're valid commands the game will recognize.

The G13 keypad works.
Up joystick is dead.

I open notepad.

up joystick and left joystick is dead.

Go back to software - all 4 work in the test mode.

WTF?, over.

Comments/suggestions?
The programming steps were a b***h to figure out, documentation is the suxor.

Arcuatio
05-12-2013, 09:17 PM
I use a G13 gamepad and the joystick is mapped WASD rather then the arrow keys. I don't have any problems with it.

Edit:
You can also check the ingame keybindings and see if the arrow keys are assigned to movement.

crasher
05-12-2013, 10:14 PM
I tried different button assignments for the joystick.
They test fine in the Logitech software.

I open wordpad, they test fine in there. Streams of correct characters while I move the stick around.
+++++++++++++*************------------------////////////////////
I assign them in Defiance:

'NumPad+' = forward.
'NumPad-' = reverse.
'NumPad/' = left.
'NumPad*' = right.

The keyboard press of the above keys makes my 'toon move correctly.

The G13 joystick leaves the 'toon standing there slackjawed and aimless.

I'm a 1460ish player, and I'm about to trashcan this whole experience because it'll be cheaper than taking a hammer to my gear.

The Nostromo I bought sucks in that there aren't enough keys, the thumbpad is a chore to use more than twice, and the lag is measured in geological terms compared to the worn-out Saitek it's replacing.

The G13 seems like a nice unit, but without a functional stick, it's useless to me.

Dooks
05-12-2013, 10:22 PM
Unplug your G13 from the comp, plug it back in, it should reload profiles (also, just in case, make sure your didn't switch the whole pad to M2 when you programmed your keys in M1....I have done this several times myself).

crasher
05-13-2013, 12:36 AM
Thanks, guys.
I did all that after ya'll told me to, and got it to working,
I'd spent several hours futzin' with it, but without clear instruction I guess I was doing things out of order and not being careful enough to verify that the correct profile buttons were always being default and persistent. I might have stumbled on the right combination, in about a week.
Maybe. :D

I already like this thing *almost* as much as my (worn out) Saitek Commander, and a whole lot better than the Nostromo.

Again, My thanks for getting my up/running again.

Dooks
05-13-2013, 08:25 AM
After my third nostromo thumbpad broke I switched, have never looked back. The G13 is fantastic.

ironhands
05-13-2013, 08:27 AM
map the joystick as keys instead of the joystick function, should be fine if i'm understanding the issue correctly.

could also be a profile not switching correctly, did you lock the correct profile running? sometimes it can switch without warning, or might be tied to the launcher instead of the main game

Tyger
05-13-2013, 08:30 AM
What Dooks & Arcutio have mentioned. More often than not it's an interface problem with the games original setup that's causing problems, or just a "unlug it" moment that needs taking care of. The G13 has been hella-awesome for me and the last 4 or so MMO's I've ran it with. Don't give up on it man!!!...

*pets his G13*

There, there... You're a good peripheral.

Multigun
05-13-2013, 05:34 PM
G13 ftw! G13 users unite!

crasher
05-13-2013, 07:16 PM
I am diggin' it.
But lets be honest, if this thing was in charge of me getting to work, there wouldn't be a safe pedestrian in the state.

The streets just aint wide enough.

I'm at E-1500 lvl, I haven't done a 'time trial' yet in the game, and I don't think this lil dohickey is gonna help me score.

:D

Arcuatio
05-13-2013, 10:04 PM
I am diggin' it.
But lets be honest, if this thing was in charge of me getting to work, there wouldn't be a safe pedestrian in the state.

The streets just aint wide enough.

I'm at E-1500 lvl, I haven't done a 'time trial' yet in the game, and I don't think this lil dohickey is gonna help me score.

:D

For any of the driving/racing time trials, I use my pc/xbox controller. You have a lot more flexibility when you use the controller and able to steer with more precision. For destination type driving, I do use the gamepad.

ironhands
05-14-2013, 11:57 AM
For any of the driving/racing time trials, I use my pc/xbox controller. You have a lot more flexibility when you use the controller and able to steer with more precision. For destination type driving, I do use the gamepad.
I haven't been able to map it correctly with the analog stick, got close, but x360ce doesn't like the g13 since there are so few buttons.