PDA

View Full Version : Should weapons have their own XP?

Fenruswolf
05-13-2013, 08:48 AM
Hey Everyone,

Just a theoretical question, something I've been pondering for some time now. Should weapons have their own XP? In other words, you have maxed out your XP for a particular weapon, now in order to continue to gain skill levels you need to select a different one. Sometimes, though not always, I have found it difficult to find new weapons to skill up with, since I have used just about every assault weapon I could find. Often times, I find myself using weapons I really detest just so I can get the next skill level. So, with that said, should weapons have their own individual XP limit, or should you be able to continue to use whatever weapon you want and continue to increase in skill? What do you guys and gals think?

Grimjax
05-13-2013, 08:53 AM
No it doesn't need it, but it was put in to force people to keep looking for weapons. They did not want to use gear as a leveling reward but decided to use this as a way to force people to keep looking for gear as long as you wish to level the skill. Crappy way of doing it.

Khal
05-13-2013, 10:30 AM
I think it should but not how it is working atm.

To level for example AR skill u need to keep swapping rifles to level it up, the level bonus is granted to every AR rifle.

Tho this is interesting and more correct than most people think (the more u use a weapon the better u can handle it) it is also kinda annoying.

What i think is that yes weapons should have their own XP but it should be bound to only that weapon so not to the weapon class.

So how more u use a weapon the more XP u get for that weapon. XP should be slower then now but u can use the same weapon and XP granted only affect that weapon. Every weapon level u get a bonus just like u get now but it is only affecting that weapon. If u use another weapon from other class or same class u start over for that weapon.

That way u can use the weapon u like, get XP for it the more u use it the better u get with it but its only for that weapon.

Cutlass Jack
05-13-2013, 10:46 AM
They need to be separate. Maxing out a weapon's xp should be a reward (new ability!) and not a punishment (can no longer use it!).

Riptharipper
05-13-2013, 10:48 AM
I like this system. It forces you to try out new weapons you might not have otherwise. If you come across a great weapon and level it's xp up, keep it, sure. Whip it out in PvP or against a boss you wanna down quick or battle you have trouble with. And there's only 20 levels, not horrible to reach with most weapon classes. Plus the loot weekend boost, you shouldn't have any trouble picking up free weapons..

Fenruswolf
05-13-2013, 02:18 PM
I like this system. It forces you to try out new weapons you might not have otherwise. If you come across a great weapon and level it's xp up, keep it, sure. Whip it out in PvP or against a boss you wanna down quick or battle you have trouble with. And there's only 20 levels, not horrible to reach with most weapon classes. Plus the loot weekend boost, you shouldn't have any trouble picking up free weapons..

Hey Rip, you do have an excellent point about trying new things. I can tell you that there are many weapons I have tried that I absolutely detest, on that same note there are many weapons I enjoy, but would never had tried unless I had to switch. I wonder if there is a way to compromise with this setup?

Cutlass Jack
05-13-2013, 02:24 PM
Trying new things should be its own reward. You should do it because its fun and because you want to, not because you're forced to.

Hammer Strike
05-13-2013, 02:26 PM
Trying new things should be its own reward. You should do it because its fun and because you want to, not because you're forced to.

This, I hate having to find another LMG to carry on leveling up that particular skill

FizzyMyNizzy
05-13-2013, 02:30 PM
I am going to vote No. I don't like the weapon exp on a weapon idea. But thats just me.

Panthan
05-13-2013, 02:31 PM
In many ways I do like the weapon lvling idea, though imo it could have done so much better, look at Lotro online for instance, granted in lotro, lvling a weapon also increased base dmg but there are alternatives in growth for weapons.

Whippersnapper
05-13-2013, 02:49 PM
Unless you use a very rare weapon, its easy to get replacements.

I'm leveling Assault Rifle along with a variety of others because I have varying secondary weapons. I like AR Carbines, but can easily just use a Battle Rifle. I hate it, but I can use it. Vendors have most weapons available. You will not find the best ones, but they are there.

Things like Mass Cannons are rare and not found on vendors as stock, but can be bought off players easily. You can probably get them cheap if theyre not great pieces. I bet a player would love to get a basic 'rare' weapon off his hands for 5K Scrip or something.

Fenruswolf
05-14-2013, 11:26 AM
@ Whippersnapper, thanks for the head up about the weapons. That is the kind of post players will no doubt love to read.

I for one, would love to simply find a favorite weapon and have it continue to grow in skill levels without having to replace it constantly. Thanks to everyone who has replied here, there are some really great thoughts about this situation on both sides.

Jitterbug
05-14-2013, 12:28 PM
It would sort of make sense if you could not switch to a weapon of the exact same make and type and then gain levels again.

Fenruswolf
05-14-2013, 12:39 PM
Hey Jitterbug,

That I could see too.

BrassRazoo
05-14-2013, 03:59 PM
I think they way they have done the levering is ok.
It would be good to be able to "reset" a weapon but I guess that goes again the entire principle.
I will add it is very liberating once you get to level 20.
I have completed the Assault Rifle, Light Machine and Sub Machine.
If freed up a lot of backpack space and now I only keep my favourite of that group or if I find one with decent stats that I want to level and see if the bonus is worth keeping.

WhiteCell
05-14-2013, 08:45 PM
It was a terrible design decision to force some sort of economy where there is none, whether it's player created or item created via better tiers as you go up. Since an Ego 5 weapons is essentially the same as an Ego 5000 weapon Trion is forced to make weapons obsolete less everyone just finds something they like and stick with it the rest of their time playing.

It's one of the many bad and tedious design decisions in the game that shouldn't be there.

Weapons and gear should have meant something. The way Ego is done negates any sort of viable way of doing that.