PDA

View Full Version : Chat concerns.

Chivaro
03-22-2013, 03:48 PM
After all the time I have logged in, I have only seen a couple of people speak in chat. Is this because chat is limited to proximity in beta? Will there be a global chat? It just feels more like a single player game, with so little chat. This has me concerned. Also I'm guessing that voice chat is disabled? Will you be able to speak in proximity at release?

Chivaro
03-22-2013, 06:09 PM
Bump. I'm wondering because it could affect my decision to buy the game.

Auxilare
03-22-2013, 06:11 PM
The game sure is quiet.. The game really (PC version) really need more chat windows, and chat channels...

Chivaro
03-22-2013, 06:12 PM
The game sure is quiet.. The game really (PC version) really need more chat windows, and chat channels...
Yeah which is what concerns me. The social aspect is important to me.

Grimalken
03-22-2013, 06:13 PM
It's been a running complaint throughout the beta, the chat window is in an odd place, and no one really knows if chat is local or zone, or what. We are all used to seeing trade, general, zone, guild chat and it's unclear what this chat is.

Corun
03-22-2013, 06:56 PM
There really seems to be no social aspect to the game which is really disappointing to me.

Warlander
03-22-2013, 06:59 PM
There really seems to be no social aspect to the game which is really disappointing to me.

hey hear he is again ready to complain and troll, this game has a huge social aspect, as for the chat no one seems to know whats up, but i have talked to people in chat, I think one issue is because that little window isnt persistant, if you arnt looking right when it comes up it disapears to fast.

that we will just have to see, at the moment its nice because i dont have to read all the *****ing in game like most games ha

Lamaking65
03-22-2013, 07:15 PM
It's a valid complaint, not a troll remark at all.(look up the definition) This is an MMO, one of it's main selling points is the social aspects of it which should not be a pain to access. This does actually make or break the game for me, there is no point in me playing the game if I can't easily converse with people. Might as well play a single player game, of which their are plenty to choose from.

jonathan274
03-22-2013, 07:20 PM
This is also a major concern for me. It is too quiet. Great design concepts, fun MMO but I want to hook up with some people and see some active chat going. Until that is possible, I wont be interested. In fact, this is the entire reason I came over to this forum. At first I thought I was bugged but thats not the case at all. Subscribed to this thread, hopefully it accomplishes something.

braxes870
03-22-2013, 07:21 PM
I have to agree chat is a big concern for me to. I wish i knew it was zone wide, ive seen some people talk here and there in it, closer to that crash site but the rest of the world ive seen zero chat. If it wasnt for seeing people running around I feel like i am playing more of a single player game. Could just be people playing the game and not bothering chatting, ive even asked 3 or 4 questions and get no responses at all just silence, first mmo ive ever seen completly ignore me. So i am under the impression chat is limited to a smaller area and not zone, could be wrong. I like world chat even if its barrens chat and people are talking about chuck norris or something( that annoyes me), just makes it feel like people are there. I still will buy this game I love it though, i hope either they do indeed create a zone wide chats, if they already have them i just hope people get more chatty lol.

jonathan274
03-22-2013, 07:24 PM
I really feel like it is just limitations on the chat design, and really the social system in general. A lot of game have this problem at inception. I'd like to see some official reply on this.

Ensu
03-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Too much to do and see.

No time for talkings.

Always a crisis somewhere!

Corun
03-22-2013, 07:46 PM
I really feel like it is just limitations on the chat design, and really the social system in general. A lot of game have this problem at inception. I'd like to see some official reply on this.

It would be great if there was an official reply for sure, but I imagine during beta weekend it won't happen too quickly.

Chivaro
03-23-2013, 10:02 AM
Bumping this, in the hope that it gets some dev attention. I see this as a major issue, considering it's an mmo.

Celke
03-23-2013, 10:36 AM
Mainly has to do due the game is also on console wich "breaks it a bit" ...

I really wish there was a full chat window with channels and all that but console users don't need that ... :(

DustOfDeath
03-23-2013, 10:43 AM
played for liek 6h - chat history: 0 messages from players.
That includes Large arkfall x2.

Even at proximity people dont chat - it has too many problems and spam + its small and too short range.
I think i even saw a friend list deep in menus somewhere, but it was one of those full screen console stuffs...

Besides random encounters with people happening to be in the same area and cooperating without talking - its a single player game. Half the areas i rarely see a purple dot on map.
Thing release 1-2 months later when majority are in higher areas. Its going to be a graveyard Oo

Celke
03-23-2013, 10:48 AM
Yeah well I Always hate it when games like this get on console.

Console is much more limited and pc players have to "suffer" it ...

Every mmo should be on pc only imo.

Corun
03-23-2013, 10:50 AM
The lack of communicating in Defiance especially during random encounters at Arkfalls is starting to remind me of why I didn't like Rift's anti-social nature of that game.

Chivaro
03-23-2013, 10:50 AM
played for liek 6h - chat history: 0 messages from players.
That includes Large arkfall x2.

Even at proximity people dont chat - it has too many problems and spam + its small and too short range.
I think i even saw a friend list deep in menus somewhere, but it was one of those full screen console stuffs...

Besides random encounters with people happening to be in the same area and cooperating without talking - its a single player game. Half the areas i rarely see a purple dot on map.
Thing release 1-2 months later when majority are in higher areas. Its going to be a graveyard Oo
Tbh I think it's because they have made it harder than it needs to be to communicate. You can't even see chat in the chat window, unless you click in the chat box. So if you are in the middle of a fight, chances are you can't see any chat at all. This game was clearly designed with a console in mind, which makes it a major flaw for an mmo on the PC. I do have both consoles, but decided on the PC version for various reasons.

Eralrik
03-23-2013, 10:55 AM
I played for like 12 hours and the big Arch events that would have been helpful to have a chat going to explain not to shoot the little bugs that damage the crystal would have been nice. Other points only time I noticed any really chatting was when people were at merchants and in close proximity, otherwise you drive away more than 300m and then ask a question its all very quiet.

It was all to quiet for me at times I felt alone and wondered if there were even any players actually on or if I was all alone.

Chivaro
03-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Yeah it would be nice to have an official answer if the chat will be improved at release.

DustOfDeath
03-23-2013, 11:08 AM
plus all this system chat spam you apparently cant even disable.

The chat box feels liek a static image (yeah thats the console ui problem - everything feels static/decorational - why does the inventory have to be fullscreen not a window like in normal mmos, same with friend list etc). Cant resize, usemouse to switch tabs, click on a name to whisper etc.

Hell.. is there even a party system? Cuz i have no idea how to even invite anyone lol.

Celke
03-23-2013, 11:14 AM
True, too much console in mind by making this game.

I love the gameplay but the social aspect ...

Reason I play mmo is for the social side and to play with other people, this is just a console play while other people around you also shoot things ..

Luckly my pre order was canceled (physical). Have to rethink about pre order digital .. :/

Chivaro
03-23-2013, 11:31 AM
True, too much console in mind by making this game.

I love the gameplay but the social aspect ...

Reason I play mmo is for the social side and to play with other people, this is just a console play while other people around you also shoot things ..

Luckly my pre order was canceled (physical). Have to rethink about pre order digital .. :/
Yeah true. I'll have to rethink this. I'm hoping it's just a beta thing, but I want to know for sure before I decide to buy the game.

Mindfix
03-23-2013, 12:03 PM
Agree i would like an option to leave chat box solid. Half time i click it just to see people talking but you can't following or have a conversation and play at the sametime.

I would also like to see a world/local/area chat, would be suprised if thats not in the final version.

ryujinjakka74
03-23-2013, 01:27 PM
The chat in this game is a big roblem for me atm also. It seems that in the co op groups I que for that no1 can chat or see others chat so there is no comunication at all. Chat bubbles or a persistant window would be nice.

DustOfDeath
03-23-2013, 01:36 PM
I think its a feature - due to the series... i mean... if we dont talk ingame = less dialogue in the series - we just see the main characters run around talkign and everyoen else is silent.

xeaon
03-23-2013, 01:58 PM
I tried to play with a friend earlier today, we both on beta. Once in team we had issue being in same instance, had to reboot game few time then we were good. Then we tried to chat in the group channel, as we were teamed, but that was an epic fail, most chat lines were not displaying for the other person, and when it did, the chat lines were in double.
I did not had my headset on at first but my firend had, ans that is not working either, lot of noise and feed back mic or i dont know.
Im not a fan of relying on voice chat in the first place, i like plain old chat. In the end we had to use Teamspean3 to be able to team, chat seems borked to hell at this point. Hopefuly will be fixed before game launch

For me, no chat = no communication, and no communication = "a solo game", which as you know, there is plenty out there.

So :
#1: fix the chat, for what it is now.
#2: enhence the chat window, and the ergonomie of it.
#3: allow tells or whisper (havent found those yet)
#4: Global Custom Chat Channel or call em Private Custom Chat channel (have Operator decide if they want em public or private)

Arsenic_Touch
03-23-2013, 02:08 PM
What makes the crappy chat interface even more hilarious, just saw a 30 minute server shutdown message, would've never got that message if I didn't accidentally press enter.

sylhouette
03-23-2013, 02:16 PM
Firefall does the chat the same way, and I hate it there too.

Here's the thing...

Playstation 2 and 3 support mouse and keyboard. There are after market keyboards, but most USB and Bluetooth keyboards "just work" when paired to the PS3 (PS2 is USB only).

For Xbox:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.xna.framework.input.keyboard.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.xna.framework.input.mouse.aspx

DC Universe has chat tabs.
It has an option to lock the chat on.
And the keyboard/mouse on the PS3 version works, identically to the PC version.

On the Sony keyboard, there are three keys right above select/start. One is for quick chat, one is for mouse, and I forget what the heck the other one does. While it's in mouse mode, the keys don't work and the entire surface is touch sensitive, so you use it like a track pad.

Chivaro
03-23-2013, 02:38 PM
Firefall does the chat the same way, and I hate it there too.

Here's the thing...

Playstation 2 and 3 support mouse and keyboard. There are after market keyboards, but most USB and Bluetooth keyboards "just work" when paired to the PS3 (PS2 is USB only).

For Xbox:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.xna.framework.input.keyboard.aspx
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.xna.framework.input.mouse.aspx

DC Universe has chat tabs.
It has an option to lock the chat on.
And the keyboard/mouse on the PS3 version works, identically to the PC version.

On the Sony keyboard, there are three keys right above select/start. One is for quick chat, one is for mouse, and I forget what the heck the other one does. While it's in mouse mode, the keys don't work and the entire surface is touch sensitive, so you use it like a track pad.
which is why they should have designed the pc version differently. If they atleast changed it so that chat is visible at all times, and not only when you click in the chat box, then that would begin to make a difference. There are tweaks they could make which would help communication.

Lugnut
03-23-2013, 02:53 PM
The chat issue is something I talked with RL friends about at length yesterday while playing. You will notice chat as soon as you get in the game is flowing nicely in the starting area, but as soon as you branch out its dead silence. Met with random people driving in and out of your questing area's no communication what so ever. I felt basicly like I was playing a glorified single player game which is really sad because the game looks and plays very well. The problem is building any kind of community with these kinds of issues will be a big problem. The zones are rather large and even trying to get a response out of the /zone channel there is one yields nothing as soon as your outside of the major hub camps. So either the chat isn't really zone wide and some very limited proximity type deal or its completely bugged. If it's the latter it needs fixing if its the former it needs to be zone wide like other game ie Rift. Other wise the games going to seem dead and no matter how pretty and fun the game play is people want to be apart of a living world.

Rush
03-23-2013, 02:59 PM
Simple solution is start a petition to mke some chat window adjustments, lets the devs know as much as possible yhou want a change. I would like more chat options and a social aspect. im sure theres going to be alot of social interaction after the official release. well im praying for it. Like the bar that one of the main characters runs in one of the towns. I forget what its called.

Trog
03-23-2013, 03:10 PM
One of the things that people have put in the Beta feed back was that the chat window needs to be at least 3 inches taller, have the option to have it fade out or stay on. remember if you dont post your thoughts and concerns in the right spot they might be missed.

Mylo
03-23-2013, 03:15 PM
the chat window needs to be at least 3 inches taller
Not quite so sure about that, but definately a resizing/ movable HUD would promote that. chat seems to be working locally. have not been able to test group/friend/team yet, but it's VERY hard to read while doing. also I may be slow, but it doesn't seem there is a whisper/person-to-person chat option.

Vazuvius
03-23-2013, 03:20 PM
I thin there are several features missing which will be more useful as folks start to interact more:
- Chat Bubbles, sure there's a name tag in the chat window to tell you is talking but it would be nice to know which toon it's coming from when i look around. especially if I'm having a conversation with someone.
- World chat, yes it can be subject to a lot of trolling, but it has a lot of useful functions as far as sharing useful information and communications across the game world.
- whisper chat or player-to-player chat. Let's face it, there are many times when player to player communications is needed with out subjecting everyone in the local area to that.
- a /who function that can tell me who's online, at least in the general vicinity if not the zone.

speaking of </> commands anyone have a list of what commands work with this game?

-Vaz

EllmansWorld
04-05-2013, 08:16 AM
Go join a clan or play with a clan that got voice chat. It definetly helps.