PDA

View Full Version : Defiance universe

BEEF7347
05-14-2013, 03:30 AM
If the TV show and game are one in the same why are the weapons different in the show, people seem to be equipped with modern military weapons and votan guns that don't even appear in the game besides nolans pistol plus in ep5 flashback nobody seems to be wearing any of the emc outfitts we can get ingame.

Escyos
05-14-2013, 06:53 AM
Defiance recently had some Votan weapons brought in, plus they are closer to Manhattan and so better weapons. Militaries often have numerous types of uniforms and we've only seen a few.

Jack Johnson
05-14-2013, 07:12 AM
EMC, Raiders, and 99ers generally use the same crappy modern gear that people in Defiance use. Votan technology is expensive and rare - Defiance has been a peaceful settlement so it doesn't make a whole lot of sense that they'd invest heavily in weapons when they had relied on their gate for protection previously. The show even mentions they acquired Votan weapons from the VC - now that they're vulnerable to attack, they need to upgrade their arsenal.

As far as the EMC outfits, are you talking about the EMC heavy gear? Wasn't Nolan special forces? Special forces typically don't kit themselves out in heavy gear like that - that gear is probably for front line fighting units.

Remag Div
05-14-2013, 07:13 AM
Yea, it would be nice to see more in-game weapons and designs used in the show from the game.

So far the weapons seem pretty boring and generic and nothing like the game.

FullMetalTech
05-14-2013, 07:21 AM
You also have to remember they are in a desolate area where as places like New York, DC are probaly better equiped and probably more populated. Thats why if you saw the recent episode they (ERep Ambasador) mentioned those towns and expressed thier opinion on how the town of Defiance is now compared to those sections.

Telemachus
05-14-2013, 07:30 AM
Haven't seen any shields or grenades , must all be in the SanFran area.

Malachi
05-14-2013, 07:36 AM
According to Defiance lore, the Bay Area (the game) is pretty much the Wild West. So we're a lot more backwater, and also they're a small town with a lot of civilians. We've got nothing but fighters in our Wild West area, so that's why we've got grenades and shields and such.

Jack Johnson
05-14-2013, 07:38 AM
Haven't seen any shields or grenades , must all be in the SanFran area.

Yeah the shields thing, I don't think you're ever going to see shields on the show or acknowledgement about the lack of shields unless there's some special baddie. Most franchises pull the same **** where the shields come off during story time except in the case of the big boss, who keeps his shield to show you how tough he is.

Remag Div
05-14-2013, 07:41 AM
Yeah the shields thing, I don't think you're ever going to see shields on the show or acknowledgement about the lack of shields unless there's some special baddie. Most franchises pull the same **** where the shields come off during story time except in the case of the big boss, who keeps his shield to show you how tough he is.

*coughmasseffectcough*

:D

BEEF7347
05-14-2013, 08:27 AM
Yeah its just that from the things I've seen about the show the soldiers are using m4's etc not the emc/vbi/e rep service rifles and while defiance is closer to new york wouldn't it make more sense for them to have better access to the weapons in the game than the folks in san fran

Ryme
05-14-2013, 09:22 AM
Yeah its just that from the things I've seen about the show the soldiers are using m4's etc not the emc/vbi/e rep service rifles and while defiance is closer to new york wouldn't it make more sense for them to have better access to the weapons in the game than the folks in san fran

No, because Defiance is an unaffiliated settlement. The San Fran area is actually supported by either E-Rep or the Votan collective.

According to game info, the Iron Demons were a mechanized unit, meaning they were likely outfitted like pilots, not infantry.

Also, we get shields because we work for VBI. Shields aren't actually common issue and are can be considered higher grade equipment. Most enemies and npcs in the game don't have shields either.

In terms of cannon, only the few VBI arkhunters in the SF area should have shield tech as part of their equipment. But in effect, you loose perspective of that when 30-40 players with shields show up to an arkfall.

BEEF7347
05-14-2013, 11:13 AM
Paradise is a free territory and a mechanized unit is usually vehicle mounted infantry which I believe the 9th were, as of shields I was only talking about weapons and outfits

Mylo
05-14-2013, 11:33 AM
Initially, I thought it was standard VBI issue. but then I ran into 99ers and Dark Matter.
Given that San fran area has a fairly extensive history of militaristic Importance many bases (Alameda, the Presidio, et al) were placed, staffed, manned there. so given the mostly "wild west"-ish treatment and overall anarchy, it is not surprising that there is a super large amount of armaments floating around, in comparison to a backwater like defiance, where it was completely protected by terrain and an actual force-field.. the armory there was alot of pre-Votan arrival stuff. I find it funny that there were "illegal" arms trading activities.. can't picture how post pale wars there could be such a thing..

Cavadus
05-14-2013, 11:34 AM
FWIW, all "mechanized infantry" means is that the dismounts have (ground) vehicles to ride in between point and A and point B. The vehicles could be anything from motorcycles with side cars to armored fighting vehicles like the M2/3 Bradley and everything in between.

So the infantry of the 9th would be outfitted similarly to a typical (light) infantry unit though since they have vehicles to lug stuff around you'll see more heavy weapons like AT missiles, AGLs, heavy and medium machine guns, and more electronics packages like Duke systems, BFTs, et cetera and the Defiance equivalents thereof.

BEEF7347
05-14-2013, 11:38 AM
Yeah I know I was in a mechanized division, I was just saying that in layman's terms but my point about weapons is there would have been a wide distribution of all kinds of weapons after a global conflict

Remag Div
05-14-2013, 12:27 PM
Then again, it would be pretty weird if Nolan strutted around in VBI Infiltrator armor on the show...

BEEF7347
05-24-2013, 07:50 AM
Well after watching the last episode the E REP soldiers are armed with the M4 carbine and not the service rifle, so I guess its different weapons for the show and game.