PDA

View Full Version : Borderlands = Defiance

Scotty_Doo42
03-22-2013, 04:28 PM
This is almost, not quite, but almost the borderlands MMO. Just happens to be made by different people? i think. And different name. Still good though.

DonRodie
03-22-2013, 04:30 PM
lol they both use the same game engine. Defiance is Borderlands on steriods

Maldrix
03-22-2013, 04:31 PM
This is almost, not quite, but almost the borderlands MMO. Just happens to be made by different people? i think. And different name. Still good though.

Pretty much.

Vault Hunters, Ark Hunters.
Spiderants, Hellbugs
Bandits, Raiders.
Mutants.....Mutants.
Like I said in another thread its pretty much a more serious Borderlands, sweet game though, glad I preordered.
Guess we will see what differences the stories hold come release day.

Danzaiver
03-22-2013, 04:33 PM
The one thing i hated about borderlands was all the massive areas that were just empty, with defiance there's always players around, makes it all that much more funner and feel less empty.

Scotty_Doo42
03-22-2013, 04:36 PM
I agree with you all. I didn't even think about it but i was like sure, i shall give defiance a shot. immediately pre-ordered it.
i am excited, mostly cause most betas are horrible and the game is usually greater by far.

mitsuko
03-22-2013, 04:36 PM
Defiance = Borderlands with Downs Syndrome

Maldrix
03-22-2013, 04:37 PM
Defiance = Borderlands with Downs Syndrome

Not a fan I take it?

mitsuko
03-22-2013, 04:41 PM
Not a fan I take it?

It's decent, I just find the suggestions that this game is in any way better than Borderlands hilarious.

Scotty_Doo42
03-22-2013, 04:43 PM
its better in some ways, but worse in others. they are both really good games.

Snowgoons
03-22-2013, 04:43 PM
Defiance has a ton more going for it than Borderlands though. Borderlands devs should have woke up for Borderlands 2 and made it this, or at least on par with the Borderlands feeling portions of Defiance.

Break it down:

Defiance driving is awesome
Borderlands driving sucks.

Defiance tons of players
Borderlands four...

Defiance rift like Arkfalls
Borderlands no arkfalls

Defiance great instant open world mass pvp
Borderlands ..duels?

It's Borderlands own fault someone came and took something cool and added upon it making it way better. Borderlands can't even touch Defiance's beta IMHO. I loved Borderlands 1, 2 was just not that big of a leap.

How I feel is: Defiance = Borderlands, Tabula Rasa, Diablo, Rift, and much more combined into a super game + the addition of a well written show to tie in with the game.

Borderlands devs missed this opportunity, hell the whole world pretty much did. Trion stepped up and is owning the market. People not even interested in the game might get interested through the TV show. It's perfect marketing and not just rushed nonsense.

The Walking Dead should have done this too. I was having a chat with a buddy there are just so many games or TV shows that should have done this. Don't get me started with Star Wars. Why their MMO didn't have a cartoon or something is beyond me. Same with DC Universe, should have had a show or cartoon.

Shrug :)

DonRodie
03-22-2013, 04:44 PM
I perfer Defiance because you playing in a world with thousands of people, in borderlands you playing in a world with 4 people and the rest is A.I lol

Maldrix
03-22-2013, 04:45 PM
It's decent, I just find the suggestions that this game is in any way better than Borderlands hilarious.

Fair enough.

I like the beta, if the full game opens up a bit more and expands on the things shown in the beta I can see it being on par with Borderlands.
I really like Borderlands, just sometimes the humor goes a bit stupid, but pretty great for the most part, completed the campaign with a friend, its actually why we started looking into Defiance in the first place.

Maldrix
03-22-2013, 04:50 PM
I was having a chat with a buddy there are just so many games or TV shows that should have done this. Don't get me started with Star Wars. Why their MMO didn't have a cartoon or something is beyond me. Same with DC Universe, should have had a show or cartoon.

Probably because both of those have had countless movies, shows, comics and things like that tied to them already.

You don't really need to advertise for things that already have MASSIVE followings.

Maldrix
03-22-2013, 04:50 PM
Double Post.

Myst
03-22-2013, 04:51 PM
Bad Motha hellbugs?

A s0t
03-22-2013, 04:54 PM
you guys for got about red dead redemption free roam but with more peoples

Scotty_Doo42
03-22-2013, 04:55 PM
I wonder if the entire map we can see outside our boundaries
is going to be the world? if so....holly crap...

Daholic
03-22-2013, 04:55 PM

Ill go with decent! I would rate it higher if i didnt get bored after 20min

Danzaiver
03-22-2013, 04:56 PM
you guys for got about red dead redemption free roam but with more peoples

I was about to call you out on BS but i copletely forgot RDR had multiplayer!
If we could get horses as vehicles later on....

gjwhite66
03-22-2013, 05:24 PM
....If we could get horses as vehicles later on....

I thought I read/heard somewhere that horses were specifically left out of the Defiance world. It was in one of the Dev videos, so I'm sure the subject may have been brought up to them at some point.

Danzaiver
03-22-2013, 06:36 PM
I thought I read/heard somewhere that horses were specifically left out of the Defiance world. It was in one of the Dev videos, so I'm sure the subject may have been brought up to them at some point.

Aww man, maybe we could get a saddle on one of those weird boars i keep seeing around.

Defy
03-22-2013, 07:34 PM
well they are both have weapons and you shoot stuff

but thats common to all shooters

these are two completely different games

GameGravitation
03-22-2013, 09:44 PM
This game is definitely original and borrows traits from awesome games we I like to play. I have never played Rift but Torchlight 2 is cool.

Snowgoons
03-22-2013, 10:50 PM
Probably because both of those have had countless movies, shows, comics and things like that tied to them already.

You don't really need to advertise for things that already have MASSIVE followings.

It's not all about advertising tho! Defiance seems like both sides of the spectrum put their heart into the product.

Look at the recent The Walking Dead: Survival Instinct game. It's not horrible, but definitely not great. Playing it I didn't ask myself questions like: "Oh I wonder what's gonna happen to Rick and if they are going to go in depth about what just happened in the game on the show next week"

Where as with Defiance I am going to be running to my TV to figure out clues and find out how other characters in the world that my own MMO character exist in are doing.

I mean the way Star Wars and DC Universe did their MMO's is like if Defiance was all about going to planets and fighting aliens and called Starship Troopers. Just because there was a movie back in the day doesn't really do much for the MMO today IMHO.

We are in an information age where we have access to some sort of screen almost all of the time. Someone may see the show and join the game, but really the game to me is icing on the cake. It is a complete package and if written well, will be a huge treat.

All I was saying is that Star Wars and DCUO missed this opportunity completely. DCUO had a comic that was related to the game then it just vanished as far as I know. Even that was cool but a cartoon would have been awesome. A cartoon as good as the 90's X-men cartoon was. :)

I mean imagine if The Elder Scrolls Online was actually called the Game of Thrones MMORPG and it all tied in with the currently airing show. It would just make it that much cooler. Instead of feeling separated gaming on your computer/console you almost feel like your choices matter.

I could talk hours about how f'ing awesome it is to see the show bundled with the MMO. I mean imagine if the choices of the majority of players influences the ending of a season? I don't think I could imagine any MMO without it's own tv show/movie/cartoon/whatever again!

I just don't see going and re-reading old DC comics or watching old Star Wars movies then playing those games the same at all.

Perhaps that is just me, just my 2 cents. :)

Zephoria
03-22-2013, 10:58 PM
I loved both borderlands its about the only fps I can stand for more the 30 minutes...but when I saw this I though borderlands+third person shooter=WIN

TRAP
03-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Defiance has a ton more going for it than Borderlands though. Borderlands devs should have woke up for Borderlands 2 and made it this, or at least on par with the Borderlands feeling portions of Defiance.

Break it down:

Defiance tons of players
Borderlands four...

Borderlands no arkfalls

Borderlands ..duels?

It's Borderlands own fault someone came and took something cool and added upon it making it way better. Borderlands can't even touch Defiance's beta IMHO. I loved Borderlands 1, 2 was just not that big of a leap.

How I feel is: Defiance = Borderlands, Tabula Rasa, Diablo, Rift, and much more combined into a super game + the addition of a well written show to tie in with the game.

Borderlands devs missed this opportunity, hell the whole world pretty much did. Trion stepped up and is owning the market. People not even interested in the game might get interested through the TV show. It's perfect marketing and not just rushed nonsense.

The Walking Dead should have done this too. I was having a chat with a buddy there are just so many games or TV shows that should have done this. Don't get me started with Star Wars. Why their MMO didn't have a cartoon or something is beyond me. Same with DC Universe, should have had a show or cartoon.

I couldn't agree more with everything you said. Aslong as the mics are fixed and the inviting system are fixed and a few other bugs then its a wrap.

PapaMudd
03-22-2013, 11:14 PM
I dunno Borderlands 2 had a very fun campaign and guns galore. When you play online with other people you are working together, the only time that happens often in the beta (which will most likely change) is during arkfalls. I mean this game is pretty damn easy, I don't see any real challenge here, and some of the some can get real dry and boring due to lack of challenge.

I'm sure a Borderlands MMO is on the way in 2-3 years, but will be on next gen consoles. I think defiance with the dynamic events and linking to a tv series offers more than almost every other game out there for something being fresh, but honestly with ps4 and destiny coming out soon I find myself wondering if I really want to invest my time in this game when something better is around the corner. Perhaps if this game would come out for PS4 as well with crossplay then I would definately get it as it is a great casual MMO so far.

@snowgoons I think you are onto something there

A s0t
03-23-2013, 03:54 AM
well they are both have weapons and you shoot stuff

but thats common to all shooters

these are two completely different games
Borderlands 2 is BROKEN and will stay broken
Defiance is in BETA and Trion is fixing it :D

traitorer
03-23-2013, 04:56 AM
After reading this thread all I have to add is I like both games and said that defiance feels to me like a cross between fallout and borderlands. Shoot even the "lawman" looks like the cop from megaton to me. Now I do like defiance better and have traded in borderland GOTY edition and borderlands 2 to pay for defiance preorder

Dayrec
03-23-2013, 07:15 AM
Anyone else notice the ironclad shield. I personally thought it was a shoutout to borderlands lol.

iReverse Win
03-23-2013, 07:28 AM

Break it down:

Defiance tons of players
Borderlands four...

Borderlands no arkfalls

Borderlands ..duels?

How stupid, Bl2 has far more variation on weapons and the combat is MILES better.

Defiance is good as an mmo, but without that aspect it would be pretty poor, playing Bl2 solo is still a hell of a lot of fun....

Plus Defiance doesnt have tiny tina so its instantly worse anyway.

JMadFour
03-23-2013, 07:48 AM
Defiance is what Tabula Rasa could have been, if Richard Garriott wasn't so busy playing astronaut.

Rampermt
03-23-2013, 08:13 AM
IMO comparing Borderlands to Defiance is like comparing apples to oranges. Borderlands is good for what it is, Defiance is good for what it is. All games go off one another. At least in Defiance you don't have to have four different characters to have a certain skill.

Riz
03-23-2013, 09:34 AM
Funny how ppl like Defiance, but hate on Borderlands (2). Or the other way around... BL2 was AWESOME! EXPLOSIONS!!!! hehe. Best game of 2012 (in my opinion, so doesn't necessary apply for all). The 4 player co-op was genius, the maps/levels werent big enough to make it for 8, 12 or more ppl to play in. So 4 was a perfect number, the humor was great and the Handsome Jack must one of the best villains ever! Loved the story and the combat, the guns, the grenades etc etc. Had a blast playing it.

Good to see Trion take it to the next level. Everybody does see the similarities between these 2 games, right? You hunt, you shoot, you do missions, you loot, you have a great time. With the biggest change the great open world and the thousands of players online. Guess this is what a future Borderlands 3 must try to improve.

As far as I'm concerned BL has earned his place in gaming-history. If Trion manages to improve on voice-chat and repair the invite system, they'll be up high as well in that same gaming-history. This game has potential, and the beta looks awesome. It's promising all together. But let's stop to bash one great game over another, cause there is really no need for that. :)

METALPUNKS
03-23-2013, 10:13 AM
Funny how ppl like Defiance, but hate on Borderlands (2). Or the other way around... BL2 was AWESOME! EXPLOSIONS!!!! hehe. Best game of 2012 (in my opinion, so doesn't necessary apply for all). The 4 player co-op was genius, the maps/levels werent big enough to make it for 8, 12 or more ppl to play in. So 4 was a perfect number, the humor was great and the Handsome Jack must one of the best villains ever! Loved the story and the combat, the guns, the grenades etc etc. Had a blast playing it.

Good to see Trion take it to the next level. Everybody does see the similarities between these 2 games, right? You hunt, you shoot, you do missions, you loot, you have a great time. With the biggest change the great open world and the thousands of players online. Guess this is what a future Borderlands 3 must try to improve.

As far as I'm concerned BL has earned his place in gaming-history. If Trion manages to improve on voice-chat and repair the invite system, they'll be up high as well in that same gaming-history. This game has potential, and the beta looks awesome. It's promising all together. But let's stop to bash one great game over another, cause there is really no need for that. :)

Thank you. I feel the same. I love both why can't we all. If defiance was just a single player campaign I would say borderlands 2 wins hands down. But it's not so why compare. Sure it as the same loot set up, doesn't every game have white too orange or purple loot. Whatever I have fun paying both. From what gearbox has done with borderlands 2 I think number 3 will be sorta like this game.

Daholic
03-23-2013, 10:41 AM
Defiance=Bored after 20min

Snowgoons
03-23-2013, 02:18 PM

But let's be real, without Diablo 2, Borderlands wouldn't have been as cool :P I think Diablo made gear running with others awesome as hell. However without Borderlands I don't think Defiance would have been so cool. Bringing that color loot system to a shooter was indeed a good choice on Borderlands' behalf, now making it MMO and adding more is awesome.

+ A F'iNG TV SHOW! :D

Defiance=Bored after 20min

Why are you on the forums then? LOL. I don't get people, if you don't like something move on. It's not like you have hit some crazy below the belt knockout punch on Trion just because you got bored and stated it here :P

You got bored of a limited beta in 20 minutes. Cool.

Anything else you would like to share today? :P

Daholic
03-23-2013, 02:26 PM
But let's be real, without Diablo 2, Borderlands wouldn't have been as cool :P I think Diablo made gear running with others awesome as hell. However without Borderlands I don't think Defiance would have been so cool. Bringing that color loot system to a shooter was indeed a good choice on Borderlands' behalf, now making it MMO and adding more is awesome.

+ A F'iNG TV SHOW! :D

Why are you on the forums then? LOL. I don't get people, if you don't like something move on. It's not like you have hit some crazy below the belt knockout punch on Trion just because you got bored and stated it here :P

You got bored of a limited beta in 20 minutes. Cool.

Anything else you would like to share today? :P

Sure..im here because i can be here. Yes i dislike the game, and ive also statted that it has potential. While you guys compare this to BL2, ill compare it to what it is..very average blah blah pvp, but i will say this much...the online aspect of it is nice, but still blah

Snowgoons
03-23-2013, 02:45 PM
Sure..im here because i can be here. Yes i dislike the game, and ive also statted that it has potential. While you guys compare this to BL2, ill compare it to what it is..very average blah blah pvp, but i will say this much...the online aspect of it is nice, but still blah

Well every games pvp today is "blah" I don't even really base my feelings on a game on pvp these days anymore because it's very hard to do right and every company seems to want to cater to casual gameplay with limited consequences. (No chance to drop your items or exp loss)

I think Trion needs to do what the actor of the show asked in the livestream yesterday, allow us to kill people and loot their corpses. The world is "rugged" **** is going to happen and it's not going to be pretty.

The rest of the game is great IMHO but like many others I was a Tabula Rasa fan. :O

I am more worried about the technical things such as how long will I remain interested if there is no Armor system. Just swapping around looks is not as cool as finding a new pair of gloves that might increase your chance to crit or something.

Still though, all of the PVP issues aside, and technical issues, and considering this might be an old build. I am sure the final game will have tons of different arkfalls, I saw a robot one was amazing big robot flying and stuff.

+ With shadow wars working pvp might actually get a hell of a lot more interesting.

There is nothing blah about seeing a bunch of dudes throw down in the middle of the open world without having to go to a separate instance! :P

BangWitDaCal
03-23-2013, 03:30 PM

Break it down:

Defiance tons of players
Borderlands four...

Borderlands no arkfalls

Borderlands ..duels?

Totally agree here with you here. Also, not to mention the character creation that every gamer would rather have versus playing with presets.

King_Kable916
03-23-2013, 04:00 PM
I miss tabula rasa.. Just saying..

JonDav
03-23-2013, 04:10 PM
Defiance is a decent game. However, no way is it remotely close to being as great as Borderlands. Borderlands is a proven AAA blockbuster that will be remembered as one of the best new IPs this gen. Defiance has a decent beta that needs to be improved massively from the addition of more interesting content (overall the games content is rather bland and small) to a wider more interesting group of enemies. Sound is atrocious, lock on aim is annoying, and the skill trees are very uninteresting. This game is gonna live or die with endgame content and whether people actually buy it. With Borderlands playing through the campaign with four different, interesting characters is a given and not reliant on other people. This is truly a no-contest...

Arkansas Slim
03-23-2013, 04:16 PM
Defiance is very cool with loads of potential. Considering the fact it ties to a tv series is innovative to say the least, personally I think it could be great, but like all games, they can be what u make of them.

Daholic
03-23-2013, 04:21 PM
Defiance is a decent game. However, no way is it remotely close to being as great as Borderlands. Borderlands is a proven AAA blockbuster that will be remembered as one of the best new IPs this gen. Defiance has a decent beta that needs to be improved massively from the addition of more interesting content (overall the games content is rather bland and small) to a wider more interesting group of enemies. Sound is atrocious, lock on aim is annoying, and the skill trees are very uninteresting. This game is gonna live or die with endgame content and whether people actually buy it. With Borderlands playing through the campaign with four different, interesting characters is a given and not reliant on other people. This is truly a no-contest...

i am very much interested in how gear and weapons progress throught the game, and also endgame content

Swoopster
03-23-2013, 04:27 PM
I liked borderlands....just found it stale after awhile.
I figured I'd give Defiance a shot....and I got hooked.
Can't wait to stop beta testing and just kicking *** in general.

Swoopster
03-23-2013, 04:29 PM
You do realize that not everything is in the beta right?
You do realize that in an mmo there's bound to be bugs right?
You do realize....you know what...you probably don't....

A s0t
03-23-2013, 05:09 PM
How stupid, Bl2 has far more variation on weapons and the combat
7 guns and different stats for those 7 guns does not make 870 gazillion guns learn to count pistol, rocket, smg, lmg, sniper, shotgun, and ar.

A s0t
03-23-2013, 05:13 PM
This is truly a no-contest...
your right defiance wins by a mile, cause i don't know borderlands 1 modded guns, and kyii glitch yeah that a winner, 3 hours of horde mode and no guns thank you moxii, borderlands 2 the invincibles patched cause of cc + bee combo. and they nerf that over powered combo. story was funny i give you that. AND we know why there was an 11 hour change to the borderlands you need to look at aliens colonial marines, and figure out why borderlands was made to look like comic book cell shading

JonDav
03-23-2013, 05:26 PM
your right defiance wins by a mile, cause i don't know borderlands 1 modded guns, and kyii glitch yeah that a winner, 3 hours of horde mode and no guns thank you moxii, borderlands 2 the invincibles patched cause of cc + bee combo. and they nerf that over powered combo. story was funny i give you that. AND we know why there was an 11 hour change to the borderlands you need to look at aliens colonial marines, and figure out why borderlands was made to look like comic book cell shading

I honestly don't know what the heck you were even saying here. Anyway, nobody ever said Borderlands was a perfect game. However, the game managed to be one of the greatest titles released this gen. Defiance has not done that as it's still in a beta so to even insinuate that it's somehow superior is moronic. I'm pretty sure the retail will fix a number of issues. However, if you expect this game to recieve anywhere near the critical acclaim, from the gaming community, that Borderlands has prepare for massive disappointment.

A s0t
03-23-2013, 05:28 PM
I honestly don't know what the heck you were even saying here. Anyway, nobody ever said Borderlands was a perfect game. However, the game managed to be one of the greatest titles released this gen. Defiance has not done that as it's still in a beta so to even insinuate that it's somehow superior is moronic. I'm pretty sure the retail will fix a number of issues. However, if you expect this game to recieve anywhere near the critical acclaim, from the gaming community, that Borderlands has prepare for massive disappointment.
i'm sorry i could not hear you over the truth about borderlands, what were you saying???

Shido
03-23-2013, 09:12 PM
I put many many many hours into BL1. In fact I do believe I am the first to get the platinum for it in the world. That being said while BL2 was good it was not great. There was something lacking. Yes they improved a bunch of things, specially with combat but they lost that magic from the first game.

Reason I bring all that up is because I enjoy defiance the game (not counting the show yet) because it reminds me of borderlands but in a tps mmo fashion. There is nothing wrong with that. I agree with some of the posters who have said BL should have gone the defiance route and made it more expansive in terms of multiplayer. So far though I have to say defiance is shaping up to be a game I will sink many hours into. Hopefully the tie in with the show creates an even more immersive experience that keeps me coming back long after game fatigue settles in.

6Strummer
03-23-2013, 09:32 PM

Yeah we get it. You think your opinion is somehow more valid than someone who disagrees with you.

*** Spoiler Alert *** ( It's not )

I had a great time with Borderlands 1 and 2 but I'm having more fun with this beta. I never buy Season Passes but I'm seriously considering it for Defiance. I should have bought the Season Pass for Borderlands, but I'm beyond happy that I didn't buy one for Borderlands 2. Though I enjoyed the game, the only "great" thing about BL2 was Handsome Jack in my opinion.

Snowgoons
03-23-2013, 11:13 PM
I put many many many hours into BL1. In fact I do believe I am the first to get the platinum for it in the world. That being said while BL2 was good it was not great. There was something lacking. Yes they improved a bunch of things, specially with combat but they lost that magic from the first game.

Reason I bring all that up is because I enjoy defiance the game (not counting the show yet) because it reminds me of borderlands but in a tps mmo fashion. There is nothing wrong with that. I agree with some of the posters who have said BL should have gone the defiance route and made it more expansive in terms of multiplayer. So far though I have to say defiance is shaping up to be a game I will sink many hours into. Hopefully the tie in with the show creates an even more immersive experience that keeps me coming back long after game fatigue settles in.

+1 1up yes! :P

I was the exact same with BL1 it was revolutionary to me, so fun, so many hours vault hunting. Then 2 came and it (to me anyways) felt like if I had left BL1 and then came back several months later and bought a season pass for DLC. There was a ton of new stuff but it just wasn't enough innovation.

Shinji Ex
03-23-2013, 11:17 PM
Borderlands = Anarchy Online