PDA

View Full Version : Monthly subscription for the PC? Or f2p?

Tangier
06-15-2012, 12:36 PM
Been looking into it, can't find any info on it. I assumes if it's on XBOX and ps3, can't have a subscription via the consoles... But the PC side?

Cyber
06-15-2012, 01:37 PM
We don't really know yet. Given Trion's foray into the Free-to-play side of things with their upcoming End of Nations, there is a good chance that Defiance will also go that direction, especially since the competition (Firefall, Planetside 2) is also going F2P.

But, we don't really know so that is all speculation for now.

Adsinonimous
06-16-2012, 02:37 AM
Don't be so sure that there wont be a subscription just because it is just on consoles. Final Fantasy had a console subscription

Aythir
06-17-2012, 09:22 AM
I feel that the way most groups are going leans more towards the F2P model and using the micro transition system as a way to make the bulk of their money. This being a unique game in the fact it will have a show, it could also rely on the viewer population to help with the funds. But like adsinonimous has said, I would not put the P2P idea away just because its on counsels.

Shubawks
06-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I'd hope for a subscription model - it kicks down on the cheaters/children that end of infesting the game after awhile, so maybe it'd be good for it - plus revenue generation for Trion is always in my favor.

Adsinonimous
06-18-2012, 11:39 PM
It definately kicks down on cheaters but I think there will still be as many children as it's releasing on Xbox. As for PC gamers, I believe there is a more mature community on average.

Shrapnil
06-19-2012, 09:37 AM
It definately kicks down on cheaters but I think there will still be as many children as it's releasing on Xbox. As for PC gamers, I believe there is a more mature community on average.

Yea I really dont mess around with F2P model games as they tend to become stale. P2P have constant flow of funds coming in to developed new content of quality and quantity as I have found F2P just release content when ever they can afford it and usually not that big or the quality is underpar.

Cyber
06-19-2012, 04:58 PM
Yea I really dont mess around with F2P model games as they tend to become stale. P2P have constant flow of funds coming in to developed new content of quality and quantity as I have found F2P just release content when ever they can afford it and usually not that big or the quality is underpar.

I think that stigma is rapidly changing though. LOTRO has maintained some very high quality gaming since moving to F2P and continues to crank out very impressive expansions. Upcoming games like Planetside 2 look like they will be impressive. And GW2 is probably the mother of impressive, high quality gams from what I have seen in the couple open beta weekends I played in, and it is F2P (well, at least it is beyond the initial purchase). There certainly are many F2P games that are lame and low quality, but I believe that there are some good examples of games that have or will buck that trend as more big game studios embrace the payment model.

And Defiance may be one of them (we will wait and see if it goes F2P).

Mindfix
06-19-2012, 05:32 PM

This right here sums it up. With a p2p and expecially with Trion you can expect a steady flow of content. Other console games have explored p2p, DCU for example failed game yes but not because it was p2p. I think they will at least start of with subs.

Turrant
06-19-2012, 06:00 PM
If it is free to play then there is how will Trion make money to be able constantly change the game to reflect the TV show? Unless They split the earnings thta the show makes which I suppose is a possibility. The other option is to have a cash shop of some sort and I know some people will be uneasy at that. It could go with how EoN planned and have an optional subscription as well. There are many different ways for Trion to get funding. We will just have to wait for an official anouncement on the matter.

Cyber
06-19-2012, 06:29 PM
If it is free to play then there is how will Trion make money to be able constantly change the game to reflect the TV show? Unless They split the earnings thta the show makes which I suppose is a possibility. The other option is to have a cash shop of some sort and I know some people will be uneasy at that. It could go with how EoN planned and have an optional subscription as well. There are many different ways for Trion to get funding. We will just have to wait for an official anouncement on the matter.

Indeed they may follow the EoN idea of having a dual payment model. EoN has shown that Trion is not afraid of the F2P side of things though, and given how much money certain games are making using F2P (Turbine started making way more money when they moved LOTRO to F2P) I wouldn't be surprised. And, as I always point out, the two big competitors for Defiance, Planetside 2 and Firefall (and probably some others) are both going F2P. Assuming either or both of those games are a success, there will be pressure for Defiance to follow suit.

But yeah, we will have to wait and see...

Arkamenitas
06-25-2012, 02:33 PM
Ohai cyber >.>

MechPilot
06-25-2012, 02:40 PM
I personally belive its going to 100% depend on the success of the show. If it gets decent rating, that would be enough to fund the show, and keep the gaming running.

Least thats my theory. Then again none of us knows, This has NEVER been done before :/

Quizzical Harpy
06-25-2012, 02:59 PM

Hmm, don't get me wrong, I know nothing about GW2 but arn't they P2P? Any idea howw they're going to get their money because after reading that I don't :p

Cyber
06-25-2012, 06:26 PM
Hmm, don't get me wrong, I know nothing about GW2 but arn't they P2P? Any idea howw they're going to get their money because after reading that I don't :p

GW2 is only P2P in the sense that you purchase the game upfront. However, after that the game is F2P and with a cash shop (although I am uncertain what is in the cash shop). There are no monthly fees for GW2.

whoiscraig
06-25-2012, 08:02 PM
I vote Free to Play because I can only afford one subscription MMO at a time and I'll be playing The Secret World for a long time :D

But either way, if the game is great then I don't mind.

Aythir
06-26-2012, 07:58 AM
I am also playing the secret world, But will most likely stop to play defiance or try and play both at the same time (idk how ill pull that off though) Ill be joining the illuminati, hbu?

As much as I want it to be F2P I would not put my money on it =/

MrMchale
06-26-2012, 11:41 AM
I think they are aiming at the F2P model with microtransactions for cosmetic items. Though I think they may go with an upfront purchase to help offset initial production costs. Though this is just speculation.

Cyber
06-26-2012, 02:43 PM
I think they are aiming at the F2P model with microtransactions for cosmetic items. Though I think they may go with an upfront purchase to help offset initial production costs. Though this is just speculation.

Well there is a good chance that they will closer watch the situation with End of Nations (assuming it launched before Defiance) to see how the F2P model plays out. If it is successful for EoN, I would imagine that Trion will port the model to Defiance.

Malchuth
06-27-2012, 05:48 AM
well, that trion worlds chose the f2p payment model for eon could be based on the fact that a) rts games suffered a huge lost of its fans and buyers in the last 5 years, b) mmorts like eon are something more or less new to the mmog genre and c) a lot of competition from other mmog which will be released in the next 12 months. 'f2p', in the case of eon, seams for me to be more a marketing / selling strategy and so a 'must have' to compete with other games. with 'f2p' the possibility that people take a free look, are satisfied with the concept and the game itself and buy items or upgrade their account to premium status is more likely and increase the chance of success for eon.

but back to defiance. from a more professional point of view, i - not really a fan of the f2p concept and thats because for many many reasons - think that defiance will choose a f2p payment concept, because with the tv show as a huge commercial for the game the barrier for people to become part of the game and maybe even the tv show should be as low as possible. paying f.e. 25$ or more for a retail / basic version for defiance is such a barrier.

i only wish that trion worlds do have the balls and the vision to choose a f2p concept that negates the disadvantages and don't let defiance become a 'itemshop-pay to win-freemium-scam ********' like 90% of the so called f2p mmogs out there.

Kalbuir
06-27-2012, 07:08 AM
I would agree with the people above me that the F2P model makes a lot of sense for EoN and that it certainly doesn't mean that Defiance would follow the same model by default. That being said a lot of massive shooter go the F2P approach so following the genre would imply F2P model aswell.

Additionally another thing that has a F2P model rooting for it, is the fact that the TV series would make it tempting for a lot of people to try the game out which is super easy if they can advertise it as free to pick up. That being said my preference is always monthly payments :)

PS: *wave* hello everyone i'm Kal figured I'd check into the forums :D

Kal

Cyber
06-27-2012, 07:43 AM
Actually I personally think that one of the biggest factors (which I have mentioned several times previously) for Defiance possibly going F2P is the fact that very similar games (Planetside 2 and Firefall) are going F2P. That puts a lot of pressure on Trion to go F2P. Since they are already working with that model in EoN, they will have experience using it and it won't be a stretch for them to use it.

My guess is that if no other major game was using F2P, Defiance wouldn't be blazing that trail. I actually think the TV show would be just as good a way to tempt people into paying a monthly sub as it is for paying cash shop items.

Oh, and welcome to the community :)

corellan
06-28-2012, 05:52 PM
i shure hope its free to play because i have seen allot on the game and i want it to be free to play so i can play it.

urwifemykids
07-06-2012, 09:30 AM
There is a good chance that if the game is seen on tv during the show as f2p that people will not try it because they will think that it's a cheesy. Web browser game or just junky all togther. I know I would if didn't see the website while I was renewing my Rift account. Hopefully they do it right cause this I will always have spot for Trion games thank to Rift( so much end game stuff to do).

Adsinonimous
07-06-2012, 11:01 AM
I agree that a lot of people look at free to game advertisements and immediately think that the game is awful which I think is stupid. Also, I think that the game would suffer from being free to play as it would be foreign to a lot of console players. Then again, depending on how console players view it, they might feel obliged to try it because it is free.

I'm still think the game will be "Buy to Play" though. :)

Arkamenitas
07-08-2012, 07:36 PM
I have no idea how this will turn out, but if the PC version ends up being sub-based, i might have to choose which of the three trion games im gonna play, when i'd rather just play em all!

Malchuth
07-09-2012, 12:17 AM
for people like you - and probably me too -, arkamenitas, i bet that trion will offer a 'play 3 for 2 subscription plan' after the launch of defiance.

Kalbuir
07-09-2012, 04:06 AM
for people like you - and probably me too -, arkamenitas, i bet that trion will offer a 'play 3 for 2 subscription plan' after the launch of defiance.

I would actually think that not far in the future when TRION has multiple MMO's running there will be a TRION all-access subscription plan covering all their games similar to how other gaming companies have done it. Normally this means if you own 2/3 games that you play the all-access subscription is cheaper. This ofcourse depends on the amount of MMO's the company has.

It's a great way to keep players because if a player is bored of say RIFT he will just play a little bit more Defiance and End of Nations. And the other way around. I am a huge supporter of these type of things although I am not sure what the economic impact it has on a company like TRION.

HellsWrath
07-09-2012, 11:10 AM
I'm betting on FTP. Normally, I prefer my games to be PTP simply because it removes the cash shop factor from the game (unless it's an SOE game, or other similarly greedy corporate monster). However, in this case, I think that they will want to keep accessibility as high as possible right from the start due to the TV show airing at the start of the game. Especially with all the other shooter competition, anything to grab people's attention and make it easy for them to pick up the game tends to be good for the game.

Still anybody's guess, though.

Shubawks
07-12-2012, 09:54 AM
I'm leaning toward a more "Pay 2 Play" subscription model - it keeps down on the "cheating" and "farming" aspects that are hated in a majority of games.

Grayth
07-13-2012, 11:29 PM
Hello guys! Been following Defiance for a while and finally decided to drop by the forums to see if there was an answer to this very question.

To those pointing out that Firefall and Planetside 2 are free to play, I would add that even on the console side Dust 514 will be releasing on PS3; also f2p. Though they aren't "open world", Global Agenda and Tribes Ascend are also f2p and a lot of fun. All I can say is that if its f2p, I'll be here at launch. Otherwise... man, that had better be one amazing TV show, because otherwise frankly I'll go play one of the other five games I just mentioned, and save my money for something a little different, like Eve.

Arkamenitas
07-14-2012, 02:15 PM
I'm not too concerned about which model is used, as long as it's consistent. I absolutely do not want to see a model where pc players have to (for example) have a sub, while console users do not (or vice-versa)

ObliviousPrime
07-17-2012, 12:00 PM
If the game is not F2P I hope its B2P like Gw2.

Fireswraith
07-18-2012, 09:28 PM
As this will be another MMO from Trion I would prefer they stick with the model that Rift has; P2P with some cash goodies. I used to play Rift for a while, but they've been decently successful. If Trion can take that success and put it into Defiance they will have a force to be reckoned with.

I suppose you also have to consider the TV show. For all we know the TV show could be a flop in terms of ratings. Getting possible additional fundings from the player base may give more financial stability to both the show and the game.

Aaronjin
07-31-2012, 01:23 PM
hmmm.,,, money from a show? if they want money, they better not air the episodes on monday or friday nights

Necrullz
08-01-2012, 05:58 AM
I think Trion would be taking a huge risk going for the P2P model straight off the bat because it may deter a lot of people from even TRYING it than if it was F2P at first many more would try it. They could offer a 3 month F2P model or something similar where the first 3 months or so the game is F2P for new users but after that it is a couple $/month to continue. 3 months is just a random time I picked, but it is enough time to get deeply immersed in a game, reach a high enough skill competency to be proficient compared to the other players and to enjoy all the subtleties of the game such that you will want to continue. I think strictly going 1 route or the other is just cutting off a lot of people either way, whereas this middle ground works perfectly for those casual gamers who want to mess around for a month or two and play and then leave for a new game, and for the more hardcore gamers and loyal fans who will stick around and would be willing to pay anyways because of all the enjoyment they get out of the game and the community.

Arkamenitas
08-11-2012, 10:21 PM
i see this topic still has a fair amount of interest. Perhaps we will hear something over the coming events (gamescom, etc)

Jenbuu
08-12-2012, 01:04 AM
i see this topic still has a fair amount of interest. Perhaps we will hear something over the coming events (gamescom, etc)

Aye with Gamescom and Pax east coming up i hope something will get dropped.

Arkamenitas
08-12-2012, 02:07 PM
Aye with Gamescom and Pax east coming up i hope something will get dropped.

iirc gamescom is all this week, yeah? <,< >.> gonna nerd out so hard XD

Disdain
10-11-2012, 07:04 AM
I think that stigma is rapidly changing though. LOTRO has maintained some very high quality gaming since moving to F2P and continues to crank out very impressive expansions. Upcoming games like Planetside 2 look like they will be impressive. And GW2 is probably the mother of impressive, high quality gams from what I have seen in the couple open beta weekends I played in, and it is F2P (well, at least it is beyond the initial purchase). There certainly are many F2P games that are lame and low quality, but I believe that there are some good examples of games that have or will buck that trend as more big game studios embrace the payment model.

And Defiance may be one of them (we will wait and see if it goes F2P).

I wouldn't call LOTRO free to play because they charge you for evertything but a subscription. I bought the year subscription when I first joined thinking i'd play it constantly, then they started talking about F2P, but they stated that I would keep my Lancer class (which you need to pay for on F2P) because I had signed up for life. Basically I would keep everthing, mailboxes charecter slots etc, because i paid soemthing in the region of £190 straight out subscription (i dont recall the exact ammounts). thn a couple of months later it went F2P and I lost everything. After countless emails, and reciepts being mailed back and forth I eventually gave up. I know this was probably a rare occurence, but I lost all faith in F2P models because of it.

Anyways my point is F2P are very rarely F2P. They will charge you 12.99 for the extra charecter slot, 12.99 for the extra bag space, postbox space, special class, bonus this bonus that.

P2P usually ends up being better value for money than F2P

Jenbuu
10-13-2012, 06:29 PM
With the annoucement of Nathan Richardsson (exceutive producer from CCP) joining the team, he has said in a interview that it is going to be a hybrid business model.

so what could this mean?

Disdain
10-13-2012, 09:35 PM
With the annoucement of Nathan Richardsson (exceutive producer from CCP) joining the team, he has said in a interview that it is going to be a hybrid business model.

so what could this mean?

We know exactly what a hybrid business model is. They will charge us say $50.00 for the standard edition, and somehting like $69.99 for a limited edition, but pay no recurring subscription charges. The game will offer a variety of virtual items for purchase instead.

I really hope they dont go as far as LOTRO has gone, limiting your mailbox and bank forcing you to pay for the extra space with real cash instead of ingame currencies. Hopefully they will limit it to XP bonus items etc.

Guildwars 2 seems to have managed okay, which is also a Hybrid business model

llShadow_Kingll
10-14-2012, 09:52 PM
i think F2P is a good way to go. But i think you should do something along side of premium. If someone would like to pay for it. They get certain exclusive things that would not effect the gameplay to much. Now with that being said if this is something you are considering please don’t give weapon exclusives make it a noob level playing field in a sense. I want to be able to get that weapon without paying a premium membership if i want to get it. maybe skins or something along those lines. There is a lot you can do if someone wishes to pay for premium membership without making the game uneven by weapons or other things that would effect the gameplay.

Disdain
10-14-2012, 11:08 PM
Generally games with Premium content restrict it to things such as mounts, pets, cosmetics and in some cases a single item/trinket that grows in power with character progression. They usually wont sell weapons, as that’s the features of the game, completing missions/quests for that nice new shinny crossbow/shotgun.

Again we still don’t really now what we have “instore” pun intended, but we’ll find it soon enough.

Carnak
10-16-2012, 10:02 PM
We know exactly what a hybrid business model is. They will charge us say $50.00 for the standard edition, and somehting like $69.99 for a limited edition, but pay no recurring subscription charges. The game will offer a variety of virtual items for purchase instead.

No, that's generally called a buy-to-play model.

Lots of things fall under the hybrid moniker and he was clear in the interview that they hadn't nailed it down.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if they opt for a buy-to-play model. GW2 seems to have done well with it and we've seen from Rift that they can pump out a regular stream of content updates. So all they'd need to do instead of having a subscription is bundle those updates into packs every six to twelve months and sell them.

Disdain
10-18-2012, 02:54 AM
Well whatever model Trion decide to use, we will see it soon enough no doubt.

Saboteur 6
10-18-2012, 04:02 AM
A monthly sub would be a terrible idea, just ask Bioware and SWTOR. Following a f2p or the suggested GW2 is a must for this game to be successful.

Jenbuu
10-18-2012, 06:21 AM
Your generally finding now even in free to play games that you get a founders package that is released like a pre purchase, so they could open that up.
Smaller companies use it at a kick start kinda thing and bigger companies use it as advertisement too.

Look at End of nations, its f2p but you had a founder addition, now you also have standard, collector editions etc too.

The only games market has changed so much over the past 3-4years that this seems to be the standard practice now a days.

Disdain
10-18-2012, 06:38 AM
A monthly sub would be a terrible idea, just ask Bioware and SWTOR. Following a f2p or the suggested GW2 is a must for this game to be successful.

Well Rift is a P2P model and seems to be managing ok which incase you weren't aware is also by Trion.

Not to mention WoW the largest MMO of it's kind is also a P2P model.

Some games work some dont, I reckon this game could work no matter the model used as it appeals to the large quantity of MMO gamers as well as attracting the FPS players. I think this game given the time and effort could be a record breaker.

Saboteur 6
10-18-2012, 01:41 PM
Well Rift is a P2P model and seems to be managing ok which incase you weren't aware is also by Trion.

Not to mention WoW the largest MMO of it's kind is also a P2P model.

Some games work some dont, I reckon this game could work no matter the model used as it appeals to the large quantity of MMO gamers as well as attracting the FPS players. I think this game given the time and effort could be a record breaker.

Rift is free to play up to level 20 now so it's not a straight pay-to-play and closer to a F2P. So many MMO's have had to accept that the market base has changed because the consumer/player has so many options. World of Warcraft is the exception because it's been king of the hill for so long.

Trust me, Defiance will not be straight P2P if Trion is thinking clearly about retaining players.

Shadinaxx
10-18-2012, 03:22 PM
Rift is free to play up to level 20 now so it's not a straight pay-to-play and closer to a F2P. So many MMO's have had to accept that the market base has changed because the consumer/player has so many options. World of Warcraft is the exception because it's been king of the hill for so long.

Trust me, Defiance will not be straight P2P if Trion is thinking clearly about retaining players.

Swtor is going f2p, but limiting the free accounts to limited runs in dungeons, pvp and auction house transactions, and no access to raid content, while subbed accounts will have unlimited accesss (aside from raid lockouts).

WoW has a similer model to Rift's free to lvl 20, wich is basically just an extended demo.

Eve:Online has prolly the best "hybrid" system, where in game currency rules the mighty market, including subscriptions, you can purchase subscriptions as an in game item, an then sell it to players, same with gear, ships, etc. I wouldnt be surprised if Defiance has similer methods within their item mall choices.

For me, Defiance's strongest competitor is Eve's Dust 514, but I cant stand shooters on platforms, the toss up became a no brainer for me when Eve announced Dust 514 soley on the PS3. That being said, I am confident that through careful planning from experianced pros in the field (including some from CCP), and feedback from the alpha/beta community, the hybrid busniess model will be one to rival cutting edge MMO's.

Like Disdain says: Wait and see, no ise speculating at this point, until we are given a model to compare.

DKTuesday
10-18-2012, 06:07 PM
I think there is a common misconception about P2P. It still has a lot of cheaters, and gold sellers sell gold just as bad. Just because there is monthly fee doesn't mean anything to a gold selling company. They easily make enough, or steal enough from hacked accounts, to have multiple accounts for selling gold. If someone wants to make money illegally they will find a way...'nough said.

Sorry to digress :P

I could see this game being any of the gaming models, or hybrids thereof. P2P play makes sense, because of the mature themes, as well as B2P. It would help keep children out, in theory that is. I could easily see it going F2P, because of the whole accessibility thing. However, regardless of what set up the choose I know I'm very interested in this game. I'm very disappointed with all the games in the Sci-Fi fpsmmo genre, or whatever Trion is calling it these days. Defiance has the mode I most prefer in a shooter of this type, the close over the shoulder reticle. Also, from the videos, the gameplay looks smooth. So I don't really care what model they choose I'm fairly certain I will play it. Honestly, as long as they deliver a quality product, which it seems to be shaping up to be so, then they can choose whatever business model they want.

Night Hawke
10-19-2012, 04:21 PM
Even though i would prefer a monthly (hate feeling like i'm being nickel and dimed to support a game i like, but not going into that) it's more likely to be a micro transaction driven model due to the constraints given by the consoles. For example if they go monthly then xbox people will have to pay more than others. However if they loop in a profit sharing model for the cash shop then it becomes much simpler. everyone just takes a cut and they can use the same model trans platform.

Oldguy
10-19-2012, 07:17 PM
Please be f2p!
Looks awesome but, monthly fee? Not for me! Haha.
Fingers crossed.

vampero
10-20-2012, 12:20 PM
I wonder myself if will be F2P or Monthly Fee..hmmmm ? I just know monthly fees do not do well or last on the Xbox 360 or PS3. We will have to wait and see.

Black_wraith
10-20-2012, 04:01 PM
Why not make it one time fee of 50 or 60$? An make it free, none of that mircro-transaction garbage or p2p? it would sell more if it was a one time buy game like GW2. an i think we can all agree on that..

Escyos
10-21-2012, 03:28 AM
I don't mind paying a little for the game. A purchasing fee for the game would be better as it would lead to less problems with people who pay and then some server error causes them to be unable to play or the person only plays for a few hours a month and might demand their money back, you'd be surprised at how often people complain about things out of their control.

Fiancee
10-26-2012, 03:55 AM
Shooters cant ask sub fees, say what you want, its ruthless market, theres half billion shooter out there. IMHO F2P is the way to go, like real F2P, you dont even pay for game. I really hope they dont blow this up, I know what Im saying, more importantly that shooters are sort of black sheeps in the world of MMOs, you'd think its welcome to MMO world but its not.

Allelujah
11-01-2012, 01:36 PM
I wan't to pay for a game, monthly, that will be awesome... and stay awesome (Stupid World of Warcraft). Trion has a good flow of content in Rift, they continue to grow the game and its community and continuously adding new content (Both in new systems and new endgame). Only issue I can see is the difference in Development team. The rift team is good, hopefully the Defiance team is up to par in which case I beg you to take my $15 a month (I doubt it will be over 15).

JellyBean
11-10-2012, 02:13 PM
Amazon and gamestop can reserve the game for 60 bux so there is at least a fee to pick it up. Looking like it may be free since we have to pay for it upfront. I don't see the game lasting too long if you have to pay a monthly after sixty bux. It would alienate the console players.

Militaratus
12-15-2012, 04:27 AM
Free-to-Play Games tend to make more money than Subscription-Based if done correctly. The Item Shop could sell things like XP/Money Boosters or Special Outfits and those always sell good.

AmazingPatt
12-15-2012, 05:16 AM
or recently game as been really into those season pass kind . example pay defiance disc box and after that optional you can buy a season pass which let you have the dlc and some unique item but nothing overpower only cool optional stuff for people who like the game

deusex2
12-15-2012, 12:38 PM
New guy here, first post and all, so hello everyone :)

And I sure as hell hope it's going to be p2p, because I'm sick and tired of f2p games, to the point of hating those.

Shnuubs
01-03-2013, 07:08 AM
I really hope it's either Buy to Play or Free to Play.

Buy for ~20 or30€ (I'm European) and will have a cash shop with xp boosts and cosmetics only. (helmets and stuff)

Or Free to Play with cash shop described above.

Why 20 or 30€ you might ask? It's a great step-in price for a game with a cash shop. At least in my opinion.

And cash shop done right is the new subscription model. No RNG please, like GW2 lockboxes...-_-. Plain and simple "item" for x amount of paid currency. Like "hockey mask" for 100paid currency, or 10 xp boosts for 50paid currency.

I think this model would work on consoles too.

Fiancee
01-03-2013, 07:11 AM
Hard to say my guess its non-sub, its kinda latest trend and TW doesnt have enough power to go against it, as they're very new company. :confused:

I again hope sub just for the sake of better community. Rift's community is simply awesome.

squidgod2000
01-03-2013, 07:28 AM
It will be buy to play with an optional sub (which includes all DLC packs and some other perks).

Mr666
01-03-2013, 11:22 AM
I hoping on a F2P because of what gamestop has posted. I want the 150 deal and if I have to pay anything after that I will start thinking about how much I like the game and company. I see a lot you are talking about P2P to up the people factor but their @$$holes no matter where you go so just get some pals and shoot down because no matter F2P or P2P the aholes will be afoot.

squidgod2000
01-03-2013, 11:25 AM
I hoping on a F2P because of what gamestop has posted. I want the 150 deal and if I have to pay anything after that I will start thinking about how much I like the game and company.

That's not F2P, that's B2P.

Whatever edition you buy, you'll still have to pay for the DLC.

Doc
01-08-2013, 09:24 AM
I have preorded this for the PS3 and just like DCUO I except to pay monthly for this MMO. DCUO failed but had so many chances to get it right, I truly believe that Defiance has a great chance at being the best MMO for any console of all time.

Deathrow
01-08-2013, 09:26 AM
Its fine as long as its not gonna be F2P. Im willing to pay 10-20 dollars per month.

Krazee DD
01-08-2013, 10:04 AM
Its fine as long as its not gonna be F2P. Im willing to pay 10-20 dollars per month.

Its not F2P.

DiRtDoGg
01-08-2013, 10:19 AM
I am thinking it will be like Rift and be 15 or so a month.. Which I am cool with paying. More money coming in allows continued support for the game

squidgod2000
01-08-2013, 10:59 AM
This has got to be the 50th time I've posted this (across various forums):

ZAM: Have you chosen a monetization model yet?

Hill: We haven’t picked one 100% yet, but we’re looking at a boxed product, so you’ll go to the store and you’ll buy it, or potentially download it through something like PSN. And then you have a choice – it’s dual – where you can decide “I want to pick things and pay for them piecemeal”, or “I can pick a subscription, and get all of that stuff as I go, and get all of the DLC free as long as I’m subscribed.” So that’s kind of the model we’re looking at. Like I said, it’s not a 100%, but that’s where we’re shifting toward.

http://www.zam.com/story.html?story=31361

It's got the typical ***-covering, but it's their pricing model for launch.

ETD
01-08-2013, 11:01 AM
I am thinking it will be like Rift and be 15 or so a month.. Which I am cool with paying. More money coming in allows continued support for the game

I still think a forced subscription would kill the game on consoles. Console gamers are not really used to paying subscriptions (well, xbox gamers are but that doesn't really count) for games. PC games have had subscriptions for ages.

I'm not sure if i really like the way it's done according to the post by Swag though. Sounds like a lot of playerbase dividing would go on.

Paladin
01-08-2013, 07:51 PM
I still think a forced subscription would kill the game on consoles. Console gamers are not really used to paying subscriptions (well, xbox gamers are but that doesn't really count) for games. PC games have had subscriptions for ages.

I'm not sure if i really like the way it's done according to the post by Swag though. Sounds like a lot of playerbase dividing would go on.

I agree with this, DCUO had to go f2p after 8 months of sub because they lost alot of players after the early months.

Nervusbreakdown
01-08-2013, 10:27 PM
I played FFXI for like 4 years and I can tell you that doing a paid sub have saved me lots of money from buying other games that I might end up trading in after 4 months, but now I am playing Guild Wars 2 and I am still in shocked how they can pull such thing and the only thing I had to do is buy the game.

Because this game and the show are really 1 project even though they made it so if one goes down the other still keep going, if its going to be a Guild Wars 2 model then they are going to make everybody happen and even Syfy.

Think about it, if you dont buy the game because of a sub fee, then you are not even going to bother with the show and I just cant see Trion Worlds doing this and it will hurt Syfy, it will be pointless to even bring it to the console (XBL,PSN).

F2P is not going to happen because they want you to go buy the game, is that leaves buy the game and play it till the next add-on comes, or they will do a season pass or something.

That is just my view.

Titchi
01-09-2013, 08:14 AM
I for one am hoping for the monthly fee. Keeps the money flowing into the company regardless if the show flops. Keeps the quality of updates high, Trion is good for that in my opinion. I only play one game at a time anyway, so I have no problem with pay 15 to 16 dollars a month instead of 60 to 120 a month to buy a new game, or even 20 dollars a month for Riot Points for new Champions on League of Legends. In the long run, for me personally, a monthly fee is plus.

Even if they go the route of micro transactions it would be alright, all they have to do is sell cosmetic things for your character considering the amount of customizing Defiance will have. I would buy the hell out the cosmetic stuff. ;) I just feel people who enjoy the game enough to play month after month should donate something, even a little, to the company who worked so hard on it. I know there would be a few who would take advantage of the whole F2P model. Just my two cents though!

DiRtDoGg
01-09-2013, 10:21 AM

I like this because it gives the player base choice.. and choice is always good

Magicbison
01-10-2013, 10:06 PM
It'll probably shift more towards a Freemium payment model where you are locked out of certain features as a F2P member and it will have a Subscription model alongside it with no lockouts. Just look at DCUO's payment model and you'll see what I mean.

Nervusbreakdown
01-10-2013, 10:13 PM
there is going to be no monthly fees, its buy the game and play it.

Paladin
01-10-2013, 10:13 PM

Me and you swag, me and you

Dynamics
01-17-2013, 10:35 PM
Why can't they do what gw2 did and have us pay and be done with it

Nervusbreakdown
01-17-2013, 10:51 PM
Can't be free to play because you have to buy the game, why are you guys keep saying this?

SymphonyMoon
01-17-2013, 11:23 PM
If Defiance hopes to be the Sci-Fi counterpart of Guild Wars 2, then it will need to be able to go at least B2P to be able to compete and survive. Take a look at most of the games that started out as P2P, with the latest 2 being TERA & The Secret World, TERA is converting to F2P & TSW is now B2P. And both of these games are fairly recent and both started out as P2P.

Tsugi
01-21-2013, 10:05 AM
Well, a B2P concept with an cash shop (cosmetic stuff // Exp Booster) would be good and would keep the game alive.

Xithryl
01-21-2013, 10:15 AM
The more I look into it, the more it feels perhaps they are coming out of every angle with ways to pay and play, which could be ok if they are just options for the gamers, but if I have to indulge in all aspects in order to feel complete, I will be a bit uneasy with that.

datoamo
01-21-2013, 11:26 AM
In my opinion it will be F2p but whoever buys gets more fancy stuff,And f2p players get alot of restrictions..Kinda like what tera is doing :D