PDA

View Full Version : Firefall

Unreal
01-10-2013, 07:37 PM
Since this game is same genre doesn't hurt to check firefall is pretty much the same type of game but without the show part.

Zeila
01-10-2013, 08:26 PM
Unfortunately the game got boring quick for me. Can only thump and bump so much :P

Fony
01-10-2013, 08:31 PM
love firefall. hopefully Defiance is good too.

GeneralZOCK
01-11-2013, 05:15 AM
yeh i played FF as well but it get boring rly fast as Zelia said already :P
itīs quite the same all the time without rare events or new quests -.-"
but i like the graphics cuz i also play Borderlands 2 lol =D

hopefully Defiance will be different than FF (i know it will be different lol =D)^^

Feydakin
01-11-2013, 05:31 AM
Firefall is still very much in beta, and has some pretty grandiose plans for the future, so I can cut it some slack for lack of content. What is there though is quite fun, if limited.

GeneralZOCK
01-11-2013, 05:36 AM
yeh itīs quite fun but they should have implemented some various and random changing mission
to show the players taht ther is something more than just stupid grinding and runiing around

Voodeux
01-11-2013, 08:05 AM
Is a good game but until they expand on more of the PVE side as well as allow more than two people from the same group to que for PVP its pretty much on the meh side as far as I'm concerned. However, it was good enough for me to kick them 35 bucks after I got my beta invite to show my support that I think they'll publish a great game.

Galadeon
01-11-2013, 08:11 AM
Firefall has been in beta for about a year. Been hearing about their big plans for many many months. I think they were under-prepared for how hard it would be to pull everything they promised off.

Voodeux
01-11-2013, 08:27 AM
Firefall has been in beta for about a year. Been hearing about their big plans for many many months. I think they were under-prepared for how hard it would be to pull everything they promised off.

I don't know. Red 5 is known for having actively recruited developers that were former Blizzard employees. That said being in beta since August 2011 when I joined last October I'd hoped that they were much further along in their development. I logged in after their last patch in December to find that the game had not changed overly much aside from some optimization increase, some adjustment to the NPC AI and stats, and nerfs for some of the classes.

Tachyon
01-11-2013, 12:03 PM
Heh .. so far firefall has flopped for me, too bad the wife and I laid out $75/each for pre-order packages ...

BadCompany
01-11-2013, 12:19 PM
Firefall is less than 50% of the way through beta.

People should browse the forums of the games their playing more often so they can make more informed posts concerning gameplay in general.

Anyone expecting endgame content shouldn't be beta testing as obviously they don't have the patience to beta test a game properly.

GeneralTechnique
01-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Firefall is less than 50% of the way through beta.

People should browse the forums of the games their playing more often so they can make more informed posts concerning gameplay in general.

Anyone expecting endgame content shouldn't be beta testing as obviously they don't have the patience to beta test a game properly.
I think you're misunderstanding the feeling of everyone posting here. Most people are well aware that Firefall is deep in development and going through a "true" beta.

The thing is, Firefall has been in "beta" for over a year. As of this post, Firefall has been in beta for nearly a year and a half. That's a very dangerous thing for ANY developer to do, and it usually doesn't happen unless the developer came across unforeseen/unexpected hurdles (just as a poster implied earlier in this thread) which has DEFINITELY happened in Firefall's beta process more than once (levels, PvP/PvE split, VoiP scrapping, etc...).

I've been following Firefall since the summer of 2010, and have been a part of the beta since March 2011.
However, even before this, I've been following Red5 since 2005. I've been waiting for well over half a decade for this game to come out, and there were several times in there that I thought Red5 was gonna go under (it technically did at one point).

I'd love nothing more than to see Firefall have a successful release and become a legend in the gaming industry. However, the words of these posters that have called it "boring" and complained about it's "slow" development should not be dismissed. This would be, as they say, the early warning signs of "the writing on the wall"

Since you're so big on being "informed" would you mind telling me this. How many games do you know of that went through 2+ year long betas, then went on to have successful releases? I'm asking for a #number, because I know of countless titles that went through long betas and were stale, old, and unpopular with zero "buzz" left for them by the time they were released.
That said, Firefall's beta is on schedule to run well over 2 years.

There are more problems with having rediculously long betas other than the obvious one of the game becoming stale and boring to the interested groups within the gaming community.
There's also the problems related to other titles "beating it to the punch". Case in point: Defiance

Defiance will basically one-up Firefall on several so-called "revolutionizing" (the words of both Firefall's and Defiance's viral marketers) features that Firefall had previously intended to lay claim to. All is fair in love and gaming, I suppose.

I am the spy
01-15-2013, 06:02 PM
I play firefall still even though it gets boring sometimes. its still in beta though, so I will still probably play it when the real version comes out.

Feydakin
01-15-2013, 06:10 PM
I don't look at Firefall's development in black and white terms. "Beta" let's not forget, is still part of the development cycle, and development cycles for MMOGs as we know can last upwards of 5 years or more. Also, the definition of the term "beta" has been muddied by years of developers using the word to describe what basically amounts to a PR demo that starts a few weeks before launch. Red5 Are doing something different, they are a smallish company and I really like what they stand for, so I am very much willing to let them develop the game at their own pace. I'm not going to hold the way they are doing things against them...

zantetsuken
01-19-2013, 03:50 AM
@GeneralTechnique: You make it sound as though Firefall had been repeatedly delayed. The game is roughly 60% complete according to one of the loading screens. Next in development is the Chosen War followed by World PvP if I remember right.

One of the issues with Firefall is the assumption that the game was close to release one year ago. People got into the beta expecting a finished game (as other publishers typically do) and instead got a game in early development.

Firefall has far superior mechanics as a skill based shooter than defiance does. The PvP is a great deal of fun if you don't suck, and the fact that the devs actually listen to feedback in order to improve the game as they develop it actually puts them in a strong position. Red 5 just need to fill the PvE world and get World PvP right.

Laughter
01-19-2013, 04:41 AM
I like Firefall but the graphic style isn't something I am overly excited about.

GeneralTechnique
01-19-2013, 05:36 AM
@GeneralTechnique: You make it sound as though Firefall had been repeatedly delayed.

I don't make it "sound" that way. That's just what actually has "happened" with Firefall. It happens with games all the time.

To the developers' credit, I will say that it was smart of them to never "officially" commit to a specific launch window. However, that doesn't change the fact that they're still exhausting more and more additional resources during development.

Just to be clear, there was a time when Firefall was "expected" and "implied" to fall into release (soft release?) before the end of 2012. Right now, at this moment, Firefall is "expected" and "implied" to fall into release before the end of 2013. And, while my memory is a bit fuzzy on it, I'm pretty sure that during 2010 and very early 2011 the developer let it be known that Firefall was "expected" to fall into release before the end of 2011.
These are not "fan approximations", nor are they guesstimates being made by some non-existant group of game industry analysts. These are all release goals that have/had been set and alluded to by the "developers".

--I have my reasons for why I myself would begin to worry about the future of an upcoming title, and all of those reasons are always based off of my past and present experiences with game studios.
--Even now, as in this very week, I'm witnessing the repeat of a route of events play out in Firefall that I've already seen happen with other games before.... And these events, themselves, almost always lead to even MORE delays in the development of those other games.
--I'm not gonna get into details here, but what I've seen go on concerning Firefall, just this week, is enough to raise the possibility of Firefall either having it's release pushed even later than 2013, or have it's release "rushed" bringing along all the negative traits of a suddenly rushed release. All of this being based off of very specific experiences with almost identical situations with past games.

You can "compare" Defiance and Firefall until you're blue in the face but, in the end, those comparisons aren't going to pay the developer's bills. Not in the way that some would expect them to. Not even close.

Firefall is going to have to make it's own success. Any benifits that it might gain from the presence of Defiance (which will release first) are miniscule "by comparison" to the vast amount of potential negative effects Defiance's presence could have on the future of Firefall (think "lose, lose, situation"). All of that comes down to the one element I featured in my first post....... "timing".

I'm not trying to predict a doomed future for Firefall. Furthest thing from it, actually.

Terra
01-19-2013, 03:18 PM
Development aside that Firefall does have for pve isn't that bad, and hopefully the same can be said for the pvp after they split the pve/pvp aspect. That game definitely called for a pvp/pve split and it makes me wonder how much this game will be splitting the two.

That aside I enjoyed the Rifts game and the mostly classless gameplay. That is primarily why i'm starting to get more interested in this game over the Firefall game, classless gameplay. Hopefully Trion does a better job of it then Funcom did. I also hope Trion can keep the massive power creep out of pvp this time, it is what made me quit Rift.

Hillverius
01-20-2013, 12:28 AM
@GeneralTechnique: You make it sound as though Firefall had been repeatedly delayed. The game is roughly 60% complete according to one of the loading screens. Next in development is the Chosen War followed by World PvP if I remember right.
That's showing what's next not how long it has until is complete;the devs said that they have 5 years worth of content planed,also the final map will be 1/10 scale of Earth (don't know how they will pull that of...) I would expect a lot more things if that's the plan.
And yes it has been delayed because they changed the progression system(also altered the core mechanics)of the game from lvl based to tier based with constraints,now they doing it again by separating the PvP from PvE and getting rid of the tiers (all will be the same tier just the battleframes within the same class will have some variants in what abilities are available and in the future different weapons)

FurinoX
01-20-2013, 10:47 PM
Yeah, same here. My money is on Defiance :p

Kalanaja
01-21-2013, 11:27 AM
I like Firefall but the graphic style isn't something I am overly excited about.

The cartoon stylized graphics do make it a bit odd. I think they were going off of something like Borderlands with it's graphic setup.

Laughter
01-21-2013, 04:55 PM
The cartoon stylized graphics do make it a bit odd. I think they were going off of something like Borderlands with it's graphic setup.

I love Borderlands 2 graphics and I don't mind Firefall.. I should better explain I am not 100% happy with how character design and customization is. It's very limited.

I have been interested in Firefall since I saw their booth at PAX two years ago. It was amazing and I have been a member of their forum and played beta since back in 2011. I wouldn't say I gave it a lot of my time but I enjoyed the game play.

Ares42ful
01-21-2013, 07:35 PM
Game is great but not a lot of beta events

shoudra
01-23-2013, 06:39 PM
Game is great but not a lot of beta events

I agree, sadly the game gets stale because of lack of updates sometimes and it's true you can only thump so much :P

spaceghost
01-24-2013, 02:07 AM
Unfortunately the game got boring quick for me. Can only thump and bump so much :PMore or less this. I also don't like the newer patches; thumping Advanced + got harder, jump jets aren't as strong/more falling damage... They did add a bit more PvE (the southern city is more fleshed out, but still missing content), but nothing worth downloading again.

Reminds me of Global Agenda; alot of work for smaller increases (likely to keep the PvP evenish), might be worth $15, but not worth more. Right now, my gaming time is taken by PlanetSide 2 & here.

Guknowit
01-24-2013, 03:23 PM
I agree, sadly the game gets stale because of lack of updates sometimes and it's true you can only thump so much :P

I agree with that, but just being able to use jump jets and blowing creatures up with the assault class is pretty entertaining alone.

shoudra
01-27-2013, 03:25 PM
I agree with that, but just being able to use jump jets and blowing creatures up with the assault class is pretty entertaining alone.

Once in the blue moon I'll do the sunken harbor -> Copa bike race back and forth hopefully they flesh out more of the game though T2 engineer and I do nothing but, race right now >.>

DanoValo
02-02-2015, 03:13 AM
I know this thread is two years dead already, but I wanted to tell potential readers that now that Firefall is out of Beta, it's actually a pretty good game. I've been playing it since open beta, and a lot changed since then. Missions, events... If you didn't like it in beta, now is a good time to check it out again.