loadedvoid
05-16-2013, 08:44 PM
Why are magazines called "clips" in the game?:confused:

crasher
05-16-2013, 09:05 PM
Everytbody does it wrong.

Arsenic_Touch
05-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Because majority of people are ignorant about the terminology and Trion had to keep with the "popular" choice despite being the wrong word. It's a poor decision, but not a game breaking one.

Falls under the same realm of people not knowing what an assault rifle really is and misusing the word. Just check the news, you see the word assault rifle being thrown around a lot and people thinking the AR in AR-15 stands for assault rifle.

Elysiume
05-16-2013, 09:06 PM
Because most people either don't know or care about the difference, and clip is shorter, I imagine.

Indolo
05-16-2013, 09:12 PM
If we had an apocalypse tomorrow and 30% of the population survived, after 10 years or so, do you think most of the survivors would be calling them clips or magazines?

Omnifarious Xji
05-16-2013, 09:18 PM
If we had an apocalypse tomorrow and 30% of the population survived, after 10 years or so, do you think most of the survivors would be calling them clips or magazines? With today's folks, it'd be sooner. So we have, say, what, 2 million kids survive the apocalypse. How many of them are going to have relations with people who know the proper terms/functions of things? How many people have an old vet grandfather who can tell you exactly how to use Agent Orange? I'm sure after a few years, anything that's big, goes GLAK GLAK GLAK and had a big "clip" would be called an assault rifle lmao. I'm sure you wouldn't hear some 18 year old post Pale Wars kid yelling, "I'M SETTING UP MY LIGHT MACHINE GUN! GET ME THE BELT FEEDER AND EXTRA CARTRIDGES!" He'd be, "WWWWOOOOO FFFFFUUUUCCCCCKKKK YYYYYOOOOOUUUUU BUGS! AHAHAHAHA!"

A s0t
05-16-2013, 09:26 PM
a clip is this:http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/9/9f/Mosin_ammo_clip.JPGa mag is this: http://image.ec21.com/image/kevlarhelmet/oimg_GC04693435_CA04693623/Gun_Magazine_Ammo_Magazine_Bullet_Magazine.jpg

Sids
05-16-2013, 09:27 PM
Sensoths can't pronounce the word 'Magazine.' Sorta like how Irathients can't say 'Money.'

Omnifarious Xji
05-16-2013, 09:29 PM
a clip is this: *Snip* a mag is this: *Snip*
People are gonna see object A first. Object A is filled with bullets and is put into your gun. It is called a clip. They learn the word clip first, then anything else they see that is filled with bullets and goes into their gun, will be known as a clip to them. Ask the uniformed, they would say it's stupid to have different names for something that does the same thing. I've been yelled at for correcting my father on the clip and mag thing before...

Sids
05-16-2013, 09:31 PM
People are gonna see object A first. Object A is filled with bullets and is put into your gun. It is called a clip. They learn the word clip first, then anything else they see that is filled with bullets and goes into their gun will be known as a clip. Ask the uniformed, they would say it's stupid to have different names for something that does the same thing. I've been yelled at for correcting my father on the clip and mag thing before...

It's the difference between a money clip and a wallet though.... I mean..... they're not the same thing.

Omnifarious Xji
05-16-2013, 09:35 PM
It's the difference between a money clip and a wallet though.... I mean..... they're not the same thing. Tell them that. I look into a microscope, and all I see are little squiggly things. Doesn't matter if they're dirt, or micro organisms, or protein fibers. They all look the same to me. Squiggly things.

Omnifarious Xji
05-16-2013, 09:39 PM
Also, what's easier to pronounce? Clip? Or magazine? Most people, when they hear the word "magazine" think of those book things they find at the counter of Walmart talking about celebrity lives. The path of least resistance my friend, people will always take it. It's simpler, easier, and catchier. You get the picture.

PhotriusPyrelus
05-16-2013, 09:44 PM
If we had an apocalypse tomorrow and 30% of the population survived, after 10 years or so, do you think most of the survivors would be calling them clips or magazines?

I would argue that a significant portion of that 30% survivor population are survivors because they are gun enthusiasts and thus know (and use) the correct gun-related terminology. So thus I can answer they would more likely correctly call them magazines.

Omnifarious Xji
05-16-2013, 09:52 PM
I would argue that a significant portion of that 30% survivor population are survivors because they are gun enthusiasts and thus know (and use) the correct gun-related terminology. So thus I can answer they would more likely correctly call them magazines.
When ever I've seen an apocalypse portrayed, all the soldiers are first to go because they're the ones fighting in the damned thing. It's all the women and children and hiders left behind after the smoke clears.

PhotriusPyrelus
05-16-2013, 09:56 PM
Why, whatever gave you the impression I was talking about soldiers?

Omnifarious Xji
05-16-2013, 10:23 PM
Why, whatever gave you the impression I was talking about soldiers?Because just having a gun doesn't mean automatic survival. Are these gun enthusiast also experts at agriculture? Medicine? I highly doubt it. I figured who else besides trained soldiers would have the know how? Hand me a gun, throw me in to the woods, and I'd be dead in a week, and that's a normal forest out there. I'd probably drink the wrong water or something on the first day and get sick and die shortly thereafter.

Indolo
05-16-2013, 10:53 PM
There would be survivalists and some military among survivors, but there'd also be a whole bunch of civilian types who learned all they know about guns from TV, video games and movies, and what they know is what the people around them would learn.

Because just having a gun doesn't mean automatic survival. Are these gun enthusiast also experts at agriculture? Medicine? I highly doubt it. I figured who else besides trained soldiers would have the know how? Hand me a gun, throw me in to the woods, and I'd be dead in a week, and that's a normal forest out there. I'd probably drink the wrong water or something on the first day and get sick and die shortly thereafter.
Don't drink standing water, only running water, preferably after boiling it. Now you'll live another 6 hours. :D

Omnifarious Xji
05-16-2013, 10:55 PM
Don't drink standing water, only running water, preferably after boiling it. Now you'll live another 6 hours. :Dlol

/10char

A s0t
05-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Don't drink standing water, only running water, preferably after boiling it. Now you'll live another 6 hours. :Dmust find mountain dew manufacturing plant after the Apocalypse