PDA

View Full Version : Impressions so far

Fractus
03-22-2013, 08:05 PM
Things I liked:

The over all feel of the game is very nice.
Being able to mod weapons.
Deals on Vendors.
The hit boxes match up with their graphical representations to a T. So many games have failed with this (Rift was a pretty bad offender too). Just one small issue with hitting someone in the head from the side - it makes them jump backwards, which ends up being sideways and looks weird.

There are probably other great things which I don't even notice because they've been done right. Now on to the 'problems'. The Menu system. I won't buy this game if it stays like this. There are menus within menus and some areas have no way of going back or they have more options but they're in a different style located in another portion of the screen.

The Inventory space being displayed as a list rather than a grid or some other 2D environment. Skyrim did this at release and everybody hated it.

The modding interface, you can't even see your Ark Salvage in the screen you use it in. Too much double clicking, etc when you want something to happen even though you have to click 'Start Action'. Also, not being able to mod something you have equipped, it should just tell you with the same 'E' symbol that it is equipped but still let you do it (or you have to go and unequip it first and it's just unnecessarily hand-holding you which is frustrating). Perhaps give us an option to overlay symbols on the mods which at a glance show us what they do or at least what weapon they are for.

I don't really feel like my EGO points are doing anything.

Give us the option to double tap the movement keys to roll. This was in another game recently, I forget which, GW2?

The chat system is...not made for PC? I haven't found a way to link weapons or other items yet. I have talked to one person so far. Even then it was only because I was in the middle of nowhere and this guy stopped what he was doing and looked at me. I wondered what he wanted and happened to check the chat. If not I would have driven off with no idea another player was trying to talk to me. Trying to group with him just, as above, contained too many steps and I can see people just giving up with it if they try to play with a large group. There are plenty of good systems out there to choose from, just pick nearly any other MMO and it's better than what's currently in play.

Auto equipping new pickups. Give us an option to disable this, I picked up some loot and nearly died because it auto swapped what I was using for a terrible weapon. In the same vein I used the Machinists starting LMG for absolutely ages and only now at 160-odd EGO have I swapped out a sniper I found from the very first 'boss'.

Give us an option to hover the camera over our left shoulder if we want.

Perhaps it's just me but I've found masses of respawning enemies on nearly every event, quest or mission means you should have at least one explosive weapon. It just makes it trivial. Without one I've found myself suddenly boxed in by 3 harder enemies who just showed up out of nowhere.

Show us the ammo on both our weapons when we're using a vehicle. I want to know if I need to stop at this ammo box to reload before I get out of my vehicle. Speaking of vehicles you have traction in the air so whilst falling you can spin around, it feels odd. Oh, going back to reloading, you can reload whilst using an ammo box as a bit of a short cut, not sure whether that is intended.

That's all off the top of my head. This can be a very good game, if it isn't left as what seems an obvious console port.

Warlander
03-22-2013, 08:43 PM
Double tap to roll! yes please maybe because ive played a lot of gw2 but i keep forgetting to roll because alt

maniacal1
03-22-2013, 08:58 PM
1 Melee mob + 1 ranged mob. Melee rushes right up on you, nearly phasing into you so you have to backpedal because aiming down does not hit it. Yes, it is THAT close. One melee and I am half-shield, melee is shot down, but now ranged mob has taken me to red and I'm bleeding. This is the FIRST TWO MOBS. Everyone else, from the entire mission, then spawns as soon as the 2 intro mobs are dealt with and I die. Several times. Wheeeee....

However I do love the customization ( especially when I found out they gave me some free cash-shop money to spend...pink camo off-road vehicle? Yes, please! ) and the array of weapons and the ability to mod them. Voice acting and graphics aren't too bad either, imho. But the combat...it just screams 'port!' to me and makes me cry. The biggest competition to this game will be Firefall, at least as much as they are similar in gameplay, but Firefall blows this out of the water. Oh, and it's TOTALLY FREE.

So yeah, decent game, Trion, but I'm pretty sure it's longevity will be directly proportionate to the popularity of the TV show.

EDIT: Oh! And #1 thing that would make this game better...first-person perspective. Yes, my Voltan chick is hot, and yes I like looking at her legs in those booty shorts...but having to reticle through my own body and being blindsided due to horrid fov = no fun in shooter.

Warlander
03-22-2013, 09:01 PM
1 Melee mob + 1 ranged mob. Melee rushes right up on you, nearly phasing into you so you have to backpedal because aiming down does not hit it. Yes, it is THAT close. One melee and I am half-shield, melee is shot down, but now ranged mob has taken me to red and I'm bleeding. This is the FIRST TWO MOBS. Everyone else, from the entire mission, then spawns as soon as the 2 intro mobs are dealt with and I die. Several times. Wheeeee....

However I do love the customization ( especially when I found out they gave me some free cash-shop money to spend...pink camo off-road vehicle? Yes, please! ) and the array of weapons and the ability to mod them. Voice acting and graphics aren't too bad either, imho. But the combat...it just screams 'port!' to me and makes me cry. The biggest competition to this game will be Firefall, at least as much as they are similar in gameplay, but Firefall blows this out of the water. Oh, and it's TOTALLY FREE.

So yeah, decent game, Trion, but I'm pretty sure it's longevity will be directly proportionate to the popularity of the TV show.

im using a shotgun and assault rifle, im flying through these guys, when something gets close a quick flick of the scroll wheel and bam the melee guy is gone and i can finish off the ranged guy.

maybe your trying to just use a sniper rifle ? either way there are lots of weapons and your gonna need em.

also ive played firefall beta for a year now, and i think this game is sooo much more fun, but thats why theres lots of different games, something for everyone.

as for the TV show it will have nothing to do with longevity of the game.

maniacal1
03-22-2013, 09:08 PM
I use 2 loadouts. Rare smg I got early on which still has highest dmg output for me and a pistol, and a Sniper Rifle with a shotty sidearm. I only use the sniper to get the drop on enemies, as it seems pointless once enemies are on you, but my flechette gun more than makes up for that in CQ. I still prefer the SMG, I find I can control it's spread and sway the best and get multiple headshots and criticals, but it all amounts to jack when I'm being swarmed by 8 mobs at the same time.

But ah well, as you say, there's something for everyone. :)

Shismar
03-22-2013, 09:13 PM
Auto equipping new pickups. Give us an option to disable this, I picked up some loot and nearly died because it auto swapped what I was using for a terrible weapon. In the same vein I used the Machinists starting LMG for absolutely ages and only now at 160-odd EGO have I swapped out a sniper I found from the very first 'boss'.

Only tap E when picking up stuff and it will go right into your inventory. But don't worry, you are not the first to fall for that. It is just one of the many small annoyances that come with that great UI.

Using your grenade can help with hordes of enemies and you will also get some AE weapons later. Until then, roll and sprint. You will need it later when enemies become hard.

I completely agree with your other points and I know these have come up again and again. I doubt we will see any change for release but may someone at Trion gets the idea that they have to rework the PC user experience.

EDIT: Oh! And #1 thing that would make this game better...first-person perspective. Yes, my Voltan chick is hot, and yes I like looking at her legs in those booty shorts...but having to reticle through my own body and being blindsided due to horrid fov = no fun in shooter.
Thank you, thank you, thank you. I was thinking I am some kind of perverted relic for wanting first person view. I admit, relic is probably pretty close as most of my shooter experience is from Unreal Tournament. But I also play MMOs exclusively in first person if they have that option. If not, I usually don't play them at all.

BluEngineer
03-22-2013, 10:24 PM
But I also play MMOs exclusively in first person if they have that option. If not, I usually don't play them at all.

I'm just imagining playing WoW in First person... :S certainly not for me...

Warlander
03-22-2013, 10:25 PM
I'm just imagining playing WoW in First person... :S certainly not for me...

I play all my mmo's zoomed in to right behind or over the shoulder of the character, ive never played with the camera zoomed out, not sure how people can do that, looks like ****, ruins the immersion and if i wanted to play a top down RPG i would still be playing diablo.