PDA

View Full Version : What is an NDA?

Siphaed
01-10-2013, 09:29 PM
Well, boys and girls, I'll tell you by direct definition:

Non-Disclosure Agreement, or "NDA", is a legal contract between two parties -you (player/user) and Trion- that sets rules about confidential (that means secret!) materials, information, and knowledge between each other for certain purposes.

What's the relevance to Defiance? As of late I've seen more and more threads pop up related to Beta Tests and Stress tests and all sorts of tests that I've seen no public announcement there of. As with most Beta games, I'm sure there has to be some sort of NDA that pertains to people keeping a lid on the goings-on behind the scenes (that's how it was for the Alpha Test of Dominus, a now completely canceled game sadly).

I'm wondering if there's an official comment as to whether or not these people are able to communicate this information on the Beta. I don't know if they aren't, or if it's permissible, but it certainly would be interesting to find out one way or another. To ask a better question: Would someone be able to read said document (if it exists) and determine if posting such things is permitted? ....that's even if posting that is permitted as well?

As for the direct and not-so-direct discussion about NDA's and their legality in court -which some say they hold little to nothing in court- there's the developer's ability to control access. Not only is it access to the game's Beta client, but I've read stories somewhere that people have been perma-banned from the game's Beta and Live client because of breach of NDA during the Beta. I've also heard of an arm growing on a fish, so I'm not sure if that's true either. Food for thought...

OneThirtyEight
01-10-2013, 09:37 PM
So basically NDA means... Don't talk about fight club :p

sanskrit
01-10-2013, 09:51 PM
It'd be great if private NDA forums existed so that people weren't faced with no alternative.

Retsopmi
01-10-2013, 09:57 PM

Non-Disclosure Agreement, or "NDA", is a legal contract between two parties -you (player/user) and Trion- that sets rules about confidential (that means secret!) materials, information, and knowledge between each other for certain purposes.

What's the relevance to Defiance? As of late I've seen more and more threads pop up related to Beta Tests and Stress tests and all sorts of tests that I've seen no public announcement there of. As with most Beta games, I'm sure there has to be some sort of NDA that pertains to people keeping a lid on the goings-on behind the scenes (that's how it was for the Alpha Test of Dominus, a now completely canceled game sadly).

I'm wondering if there's an official comment as to whether or not these people are able to communicate this information on the Beta. I don't know if they aren't, or if it's permissible, but it certainly would be interesting to find out one way or another. To ask a better question: Would someone be able to read said document (if it exists) and determine if posting such things is permitted? ....that's even if posting that is permitted as well?

As for the direct and not-so-direct discussion about NDA's and their legality in court -which some say they hold little to nothing in court- there's the developer's ability to control access. Not only is it access to the game's Beta client, but I've read stories somewhere that people have been perma-banned from the game's Beta and Live client because of breach of NDA during the Beta. I've also heard of an arm growing on a fish, so I'm not sure if that's true either. Food for thought...

A company can ban players for breaking NDA. If you watch youtube a few unlucky people have had their videos taken down, and probably removed from beta. This only pertains to pre launch though. They can't preban people from the live game. Since if they buy it they are entitled to play it until they break new rules.

Paladin
01-10-2013, 10:15 PM
A company can ban players for breaking NDA. If you watch youtube a few unlucky people have had their videos taken down, and probably removed from beta. This only pertains to pre launch though. They can't preban people from the live game. Since if they buy it they are entitled to play it until they break new rules.

True, I saw this happen to SpazhTV. He only had 1 video up about defiance and the rest on other games, then 2 weeks later his entire channel was wiped. Be careful people this agreement is made to help keep the game at its optimum performance so be respectful to Teion.

Anam
01-10-2013, 11:23 PM

I was directed here via "beta forums link".

ShadowViper
01-10-2013, 11:27 PM
Also a good point to note:

If you are streaming during an NDA Beta Phase on anything like Twitch or JustinTV, many companies can easily find your character via the stream and ban your accounts right on the spot.

The only real way to be allowed around such things is if you have something like a "Press NDA Pass" or something of the sort. Otherwise, as I said, you'll most likely get banned once your channel is found, or any videos of content are seen / viewed.

I know many of you would like to share the experiences in game with others who are dying to see what it all looks like and how it plays, but in the end - until the NDA is lifted, it really is not worth sacrificing your beta and possibly your game accounts just so others can snag a quick lil peek.

Cheers!

MuKi1115
01-11-2013, 12:32 AM
I think that forum posts are of a lesser concern to TRION than Youtube videos. It is still a BETA after all and they might still improve graphics greatly (by adding better aa or other stuff like that). So they naturally don't want videos in the web that could cause potential customers to say "Hey this game doesn't look so good after all". Especially because the videos will still be there after the BETA has ended and the game is released!

Still, everyone writing about his/her BETA experiences risks an account ban. That's fact...

ShadowViper
01-11-2013, 12:39 AM
If something says "download beta client" (like in the email), it is always safe to assume that there IS an NDA to go with it. Even when you see the words "open beta", it could still very well be under NDA (content prior to release of open beta). In some cases, even after a game has been released, NDA's can still be upheld... even after a game shuts down or closes.

"When in doubt, shut your mouth." <--- The rule of NDA

;)

Truhart
01-11-2013, 05:46 AM
There is a Alpha forum where we discuss the alpha openly with other alpha players, so I guess there will be a beta forum at some point to discuss the beta openly again for those ppl on the beta.

So the game is being discussed openly and honestly its just between 'similar' testers at the moment

Titchi
01-11-2013, 06:11 AM
I was directed here via "beta forums link".

Oh, is that why we had a sudden influx of idiots? Not necessarily you, but I'm sure a few of us know what I'm saying.

Thanks for the post OP.

Siphaed
01-11-2013, 07:43 PM
Looks like today has made it much worse. Apparently there's a test going on....and everyone and their grandmother is giving a play-by-play of it. This should not be the case. They should be quiet and sending in report/support tickets to Trion. Instead, ...everything , every bug, every connection issue, ....out in the open. Oh, the horror.

Galadeon
01-11-2013, 07:46 PM
We have no way to send in tickets as they did not give us a way. You are supposedly able to do it in the game, but most can not get that far, soooooooo, due to Trion's failure to set up a beta forum, this is our only place to come.

Siphaed
01-11-2013, 07:50 PM
We have no way to send in tickets as they did not give us a way. You are supposedly able to do it in the game, but most can not get that far, soooooooo, due to Trion's failure to set up a beta forum, this is our only place to come.

There's a "contact us" button on the bottom of EVERY page.

https://support.trionworlds.com/

You can contact them via email, live-chat, support ticket, and/or phone. I see no reason to do that instead. It took me all of 15sec to find the link at the bottom of the page and click it.

Soren
01-11-2013, 07:52 PM
I'm kind of surprised that no moderators are on to delete threads or post an announcement on these forums about keeping to the NDA.

Too many people are blabbing about bugs and whatnot, which I imagine can be handy, but this really shouldn't be the place for it.

knighthonor
01-11-2013, 07:52 PM
Seem silly to have NDA this late into the game especially when beta forums are down and most people are posting here in the public forum...

Galadeon
01-11-2013, 07:55 PM
What's silly is not having a beta specific forum ready to go and enabled. It's a pretty big fail on their part.