PDA

View Full Version : Defiance Concerns

75thRTLW
03-22-2013, 09:35 PM
I would like to start off saying I have enjoyed the game so far, even in its beta it runs surprisingly smooth, and I've enjoyed going out and exploring, and doing the events, which are very well done. And despite what some people say, the vehicles, and gun play feel decent for this game, fitting.

These concerns of mine will be short, but I worry for both the players, and the game itself.

Mainly there really isn't much to do at the moment. Questing, pvping, and random events will eventually get old, and rather fast. There is no real crafting system, or anything that benefits you from exploring. This means people will become bored, the player base will drop fast, and the amount of money from micro transaction will drop, which will lead to servers possibly going down because there won't be enough money to support them.

I highly recommend that you, Trion, highly consider adding some sort of crafting system, more than just weapon mods and such. Give people more reasons to stay, perhaps scavenging, finding metal for mods, clothes, vehicles etc.

I apologize if there are plans for such things in the future, I am simply going on about what's currently in game.

Warlander
03-22-2013, 09:40 PM
I would like to start off saying I have enjoyed the game so far, even in its beta it runs surprisingly smooth, and I've enjoyed going out and exploring, and doing the events, which are very well done. And despite what some people say, the vehicles, and gun play feel decent for this game, fitting.

These concerns of mine will be short, but I worry for both the players, and the game itself.

Mainly there really isn't much to do at the moment. Questing, pvping, and random events will eventually get old, and rather fast. There is no real crafting system, or anything that benefits you from exploring. This means people will become bored, the player base will drop fast, and the amount of money from micro transaction will drop, which will lead to servers possibly going down because there won't be enough money to support them.

I highly recommend that you, Trion, highly consider adding some sort of crafting system, more than just weapon mods and such. Give people more reasons to stay, perhaps scavenging, finding metal for mods, clothes, vehicles etc.

I apologize if there are planes for such things in the future, I am simply going on about what's currently in game.

This game is going to be very story heavy, hell i already pre ordered the first 5 expansions, it has no less to do than any other mmo ive seen (ive never crafted in a mmo cause i hate that grindy ****) as for exploring i hear there is hidden stuff to find...havnt found any yet lol.

Noobsta
03-22-2013, 09:41 PM
The days of having to think and use your brain and spend time crafting /selling stuff and so on are long gone :-(

Nothing is made for PC now just console and then ported to make a bit more $$$ its all the way of the console fast to start and get in and play and then when in the game they need loot crafting to be just as fast lol

Warlander
03-22-2013, 09:43 PM
The days of having to think and use your brain and spend time crafting /selling stuff and so on are long gone :-(

Nothing is made for PC now just console and then ported to make a bit more $$$ its all the way of the console fast to start and get in and play and then when in the game they need loot crafting to be just as fast lol

far from true, go play the secret world, that game is hard, it makes you think, and its deffinately not a console port, wild star is coming also looks great, there is plenty of none console games out there, and they have never hidden the fact that its a cross platform game, and even though it is, its very good, and plays very well on pc.

PC gamers need to take the stick out of there ***, grow up and join the rest of the world, youll be a lot happier and you will get to play all kinds of great games, both console and pc :O

75thRTLW
03-22-2013, 10:25 PM
This game is going to be very story heavy, hell i already pre ordered the first 5 expansions, it has no less to do than any other mmo ive seen (ive never crafted in a mmo cause i hate that grindy ****) as for exploring i hear there is hidden stuff to find...havnt found any yet lol.

I did not mean it had to have a "grindy" crafting system, I'm implying that they really do need to implement something to keep people playing, even after the story ends, they won't be able to keep people interested in the game, and won't be able to maintain servers if they continue to to release repetitive content with no real reason to explore, or go about in the world other than to do the same "Kill this, hold "E" for this" quests. It would be a shame if their work ended on such a note. I would -LOVE- to see this game fair well now, and progress in the future.

BluEngineer
03-22-2013, 10:34 PM
PC gamers need to take the stick out of there ***, grow up and join the rest of the world, youll be a lot happier and you will get to play all kinds of great games, both console and pc :O

You were going so well right up to that point.
I'm exclusively a PC player (major things I mean, I still play my DS), I've played my fair share of consoles through the years - N64, PS1, xbox and most recently PS3 for a good few years.

Then I got a computer that could handle any game I could throw at it - my preference completely changed to PC only instead of PS3 only. Should I be punished because I prefer having a game that's been optimised for the medium i prefer to play on? Hell no! Do I think its a bit shoddy that game devs seem to think its okay to do simple ports over, leaving the game feeling like it's meant to be on a console only? Yes, yes I do.

Does that make my argument invalid? No.

I don't have a stick up my ***, I just know my preferences and shouldn't be punished just because they are going to cause more work.

Warlander
03-22-2013, 10:39 PM
You were going so well right up to that point.
I'm exclusively a PC player (major things I mean, I still play my DS), I've played my fair share of consoles through the years - N64, PS1, xbox and most recently PS3 for a good few years.

Then I got a computer that could handle any game I could throw at it - my preference completely changed to PC only instead of PS3 only. Should I be punished because I prefer having a game that's been optimised for the medium i prefer to play on? Hell no! Do I think its a bit shoddy that game devs seem to think its okay to do simple ports over, leaving the game feeling like it's meant to be on a console only? Yes, yes I do.

Does that make my argument invalid? No.

I don't have a stick up my ***, I just know my preferences and shouldn't be punished just because they are going to cause more work.

Thats called entitlement , you think you deserve special treatment because you have a pc, im not saying there shouldnt be improvements to the pc version, the game does need some, but people go around acting like console games are a bad thing when they are not, although i sold all my consoles cause i was sick of the old *** 7 year old hardware .

The word console port is not a four letter word, people just want vaildation in there commitment to spend x ammount on a good gaming pc and feel that if they arnt getting all kinds of extra fancy options they are being ripped off and dumbed down.

So i will stick by my stick in *** story, its there alright, and its gotta come out wether it feels good or not.

Ins4neN1ghtmare
03-22-2013, 10:46 PM
I just finished building my rig here recently (2-3 weeks ago) and I personally don't want to even touch my XBOX again. WoW at Ultra High Settings, LoL at Ultra High Settings, DEFIANCE runs at it's high settings(I'm guessing that's the highest because I didn't see any other sliders to change, and everything is set to on) and i've never been more pleased playing my games in my life.

I agree somethings needs to be edited a little bit to make it feel more homey to PC users but overall the look and feel of it is nice. The only thing that really bugs me at the moment is that I feel a little lost at times since I'm not really sure what I'm aiming for end-game wise.

Warlander
03-22-2013, 10:47 PM
I just finished building my rig here recently (2-3 weeks ago) and I personally don't want to even touch my XBOX again. WoW at Ultra High Settings, LoL at Ultra High Settings, DEFIANCE runs at it's high settings(I'm guessing that's the highest because I didn't see any other sliders to change, and everything is set to on) and i've never been more pleased playing my games in my life.

I agree somethings needs to be edited a little bit to make it feel more homey to PC users but overall the look and feel of it is nice. The only thing that really bugs me at the moment is that I feel a little lost at times since I'm not really sure what I'm aiming for end-game wise.

good question on end game, i dont have any idea, i assume finding a sweet new hat and a pair of asskickin boots, and a nice gun to go with it, but i guess ill do what i do in every mmo follow the story till it runs out and then go play something else till there is more story lol

Banicks
03-22-2013, 11:04 PM
I agree greatly.

From my experience thus far there is absolutely nothing new to come from Defiance apart from the storyline. In it's current state it is a very well polished Firefall meets Borderlands.

Unfortunately I can't see myself investing any great time into this game unless my clan requires my assistance or the combat and questing system dynamically changes. After the first 'zone' of kill X amount, go and press 'Y' buttons, protect 'Z', it gets tiresome. Especially the Arkfalls, it reminded me instantly of Firefalls thumpers and that became tiresome within 2 waves.

Perhaps I expect more from RPGs these days, or perhaps it is because I've never really been that into RPGs before, more so the community surrounding it. I was hoping for a realistic FPS experience (as in, I shoot something in the head, it dies), but I suppose that just isn't possible in back-end turn based RPG combat.

With that said, Planetside 2 became tiresome very quickly as well, and if it was a 1 shot kill system, there would be no pursuit for better weaponry or interaction with the world beyond cosmetics.

A difficult situation for any game maker and ultimately the only difference between any RPG these days is the storyline and how well polished it is, and for a Beta release I found Defiance to be very well polished with a great future for anyone who delves into it with a lot of effort. But my main concern is the lifespan of the game in between Seasons when all there is left to do is complete the achievements and farm scrip via Arkfalls.

Santana Ortega
03-23-2013, 12:29 AM
I do hope when players are allowed to reach San Fran, or Oakland and San Jose or even Sacramento the game has actual landmarks that have meaning and a purpose.

I can see this game being the Fallout online that people want. Skip the whole tie in to the Tv show...I see nothing there other then the 2 characters you meet at the starting area. But if they go the Fallout direction things could get very interesting.

Corun
03-23-2013, 01:52 AM
Funny how some types come out to post just to bash someone's opinion of the game just because it isn't a sparkling review. People aren't outright hating the game, they are adding their own two cents like anyone else has the right to do as to what they believe would make the game fit their tastes more.

There is nothing wrong with that. Unfortunately there are a few here on the forums I have seen that chose to name-call and try to label people one way or the other rather bluntly. My advice would be to ignore their comment to the point of not commenting on their post and just report the trolling, flaming or harassment and let the mods deal with it.

Half of threads like these I read are wasted on the rude and should just focus on our own feedback regardless of the negative reactions.

I am hoping the devs at least officially comment on topics highlighted here many I have read want in the game. Whether the features are in after launch or before it would be nice to know for sure before possibly pre-ordering the game.

BluEngineer
03-23-2013, 02:39 AM
Thats called entitlement , you think you deserve special treatment because you have a pc, im not saying there shouldnt be improvements to the pc version, the game does need some, but people go around acting like console games are a bad thing when they are not, although i sold all my consoles cause i was sick of the old *** 7 year old hardware .

The word console port is not a four letter word, people just want vaildation in there commitment to spend x ammount on a good gaming pc and feel that if they arnt getting all kinds of extra fancy options they are being ripped off and dumbed down.

So i will stick by my stick in *** story, its there alright, and its gotta come out wether it feels good or not.

Fancy extra options? Not at all, I never said "extra" anything. Simply something that has been coded to function well on PC's. No-one would have Windows for Mobile installed on a computer instead of Win7 - because its not BUILT with a computer in mind, its built for a phone in mind.

Same thing goes for Computer ports. They can be done exceptionally - revised from the ground up to be as compatible as possible with computer hardware and peripherals. Or they can be done mediocrely; not thinking about the above.

Nowhere did I say that consoles are BAD - they are just different beasts to computers and should be treated as such. With that in mind, I'm not asking for "special treatment", only the same treatment the console versions have been given - that is, a game that has been built specifically FOR them. Nothing more, nothing less.

I honestly don't see that as "entitlement"

Also, I still PLAY my PS3, so I have NOTHING against consoles like you seem to think I do - No stick up my *** at all.

BluEngineer
03-23-2013, 02:46 AM
I am hoping the devs at least officially comment on topics highlighted here many I have read want in the game. Whether the features are in after launch or before it would be nice to know for sure before possibly pre-ordering the game.

If they do, it'll be a reply... on twitter haha

TwwiX
03-23-2013, 02:52 AM
This has been my 4th testing weekend so far. The game is a cross between Rift and Tabula Rasa. The combat system, while real time, is quite generic and grindy. The weapon feedback is next to non-existent. It's Borderlands but with a less diverse weapons system and more bullet sponge enemies. Can't say that i am surprised since some of the original Borderlands developers worked on this too. It wasn't as grindy during my first test weekend but thanks to the brainless AI that does nothing but bullrush you, their HP and accuracy have clearly been significantly increased while the effectiveness of your weapons has been reduced. The combat system is anything but skillful. Also, this is an obvious port of the console version. The cumbersome user interface, muddled textures and auto aim are a dead giveaway. The skill system is very limited and situational. The active abilities take forever to load and it's mainly comprised of menagerie of situational, passive skills. The real time combat system is a step in the right direction but this is not the way to do it. The fact that it is tied into some upcoming SyFy show doesn't bode well me with me either. What if the show gets canceled? What then?

I don't see myself playing this in the future unless some significant improvements have been made to the enemy AI and combat system.

Corun
03-23-2013, 09:38 AM
If they do, it'll be a reply... on twitter haha

I would gladly accept that even, lol.