PDA

View Full Version : Easy Access-Unlocking your EGO grid

EGOmaniac
05-19-2013, 01:21 PM
Hello fellow Ark hunters. I have recently read a few post complaining that after you had maxxed 5 ego points the game was pointless. I was concerned. I think Trion is on track to make something great of this game and I hate to see players getting discouraged because thaings seem stale.

I have spent many years playing MMO's and games in general and I have always been obsessed with Alt characters. I was a little disappointed to realize there was no need for them in this game(once we are able to re-customize), so I decided to make the best of my loadouts. I have a loadout for Arkfalls(since i get no weapon exp. I only use my best gear and a few defensive stats so the progenitor arms don't squash me), one for infiltration(quicky turning off a turret generator), one for large groups(cascading DEATH), boss killer(heavy crit), and medic. The only reason I don't currently have one for PvP and mele damage is because I am out of spots and i SUCK at PvP.

Arkfalls go faster when you don't kill the blister makers(skitterlings), so I put away the AoE. The hellion is REALLY easy to hit if you get some range and crouch, a build centered on a long range LMG is great here.

Once your first build is finished start a second. In order to think about fully constructing a second and third build you have to take a look at efficiently unlocking your grid. Just wanderiong from skill to skill will waste a lot of points and trivialize the rest of your loadouts and EGO grid.

This is my guide for doing so. Please note I would not recommend this until you have aquired sufficient points to have a viable fist build.
1. Do your Arkcodes
Look them up, take the time, it is worth it(don't forget to copy and paste).

2.Time to blow your mind---don't unlock "Overcharge"....yet. You spent the time to enter your Ark codes and unlocked 'Scavenger' right? If not please see step one. Put your very first point in Decoy.

3. Now you can pick up 'Thick Skinned' and you have access to "Overcharge".( The first pick can be changed but the point is to pick Overcharge with your third EGO point and not your first. This will give you fast access to Two EGO abilities.

4.My next step is was to unlock my third and fourth abilities. The most efficient way I found to give me quick access to all the skill I wanted was to make a straight line frome the outside corner of cloak. 'single minded' a decent skill but not the point. The point is to have no locked skills or at the very least quick access to ulock them. Assign a point to 'Single minded" and make a row straight down. This will unlock 'Fortified Stance', 'Hunker Down', and 'Hunter's Stance'. It also allows you to unlock "Cloak", your third EGO skill. As you see this row of selections also gave you access to the outside row of skill which you can easily put points into later(materialize and infiltrator are great.) 8 points-3 EGO Abilities

5. Three down, one to go. By starting a line at the outside corner of "cloak" and going right ('Nervers of Steel', 'Gunslinger', 'Kill or be Killed' and 'Hyperactive') you can get your Blur unlocked, get a few points in some of the games better Crit boosting skills and unlock 'just rewards' and 'Endurance runner' to put points in later for a melee or treasure hunter build. 13 ego pints and you have all 4 Abilities.

6. DONE! right? Not quite. We still have a large number of skills with a lock on them and we are missing some vital skills for our "Overcharge" build. This is where the skill placement gets tricky.
I start back at 'Scavenger'. Picking up 'Overload' and 'Fortitude' will open a few more and give you 2 great skill to use in builds. Instead of using the outside corner method to unlock the remaining skills in between "Blur" and "Overcharge" I will start back at 'Overload" again so I can address the skills toward the middle at the same time. 'Emergency Ammo' should be your next choice. Not a stellar skill in my opinion but our goal is really the next row of skills.

7.Now that you have unlocked 'Emergency Ammo' you should be able to unlock 'Sonic Strike'. If you make a row to the right and select 'Survival Instinct', 'Explosive Onslaught' and 'Second Wind'. This will totally open up the left side and give you access to 'Killing Machine'.

8. Just to the left of 'Emergency Ammo' is 'Regeneration", which is your next step and then 'Killing Spree'.

9.We now need to adress all the great skills located between "Decoy" and "Overcharge". I find most people either do damage or heal which is why I left the gap between these two Abilities. I choose 'Combat Medic', 'Bloodlust', 'Deadly Cascade' and 'Quick Charge' to unlock/fill this gap. It used the same number of spaces as the outside corner method but it allowed me to pick up 3 of my favorite skills. Note: You can easily alter your starting ability and leave out certaint skills you find unnecesarry.

10. DONE! maybe?. As you see you still have a few(7) locked skills. This layout should make it easy for you to unlock them if you see fit. A couple will be unlocked simply by finishing your builds. (for example 'Killing Machine'(almost mandatory if you ask some) will unlock 'Risk Taker' and 'Pinata'(a must have for every nade farmer) will unlock 'Shock Trooper".

I hope this helps at least a few of you that are frustrated find a way to get more out of your grid. Thanks and please be gentle. I am new to this whole forum posting stuff.

Era
05-19-2013, 02:21 PM
It only takes 29 ego points to reveal the whole grid so you aren't going to be wasting that many points

Sanguinesun
05-19-2013, 03:57 PM
The game is in menopause mode at the moment and doesnt seem to be planning to take hormone supplements. Just suffer the rollercoaster and go from there. A guide of the manner you present really isnt worth much given that you can change up your points and should have enough after doing the main meat of content in the game to make any build you want of relative use.

All in all, the whole system needs to be completely redone; but that's about as likely to be implemented any time soon as Richardsson would be likely to give a serious blog post that doesnt dip into poor humor and lip service.

Grant
05-19-2013, 04:12 PM
Hello fellow Ark hunters. I have recently read a few post complaining that after you had maxxed 5 ego points the game was pointless. I was concerned. I think Trion is on track to make something great of this game and I hate to see players getting discouraged because thaings seem stale.

I have spent many years playing MMO's and games in general and I have always been obsessed with Alt characters. I was a little disappointed to realize there was no need for them in this game(once we are able to re-customize), so I decided to make the best of my loadouts. I have a loadout for Arkfalls(since i get no weapon exp. I only use my best gear and a few defensive stats so the progenitor arms don't squash me), one for infiltration(quicky turning off a turret generator), one for large groups(cascading DEATH), boss killer(heavy crit), and medic. The only reason I don't currently have one for PvP and mele damage is because I am out of spots and i SUCK at PvP.

Arkfalls go faster when you don't kill the blister makers(skitterlings), so I put away the AoE. The hellion is REALLY easy to hit if you get some range and crouch, a build centered on a long range LMG is great here.

Once your first build is finished start a second. In order to think about fully constructing a second and third build you have to take a look at efficiently unlocking your grid. Just wanderiong from skill to skill will waste a lot of points and trivialize the rest of your loadouts and EGO grid.

This is my guide for doing so. Please note I would not recommend this until you have aquired sufficient points to have a viable fist build.
1. Do your Arkcodes
Look them up, take the time, it is worth it(don't forget to copy and paste).

2.Time to blow your mind---don't unlock "Overcharge"....yet. You spent the time to enter your Ark codes and unlocked 'Scavenger' right? If not please see step one. Put your very first point in Decoy.

3. Now you can pick up 'Thick Skinned' and you have access to "Overcharge".( The first pick can be changed but the point is to pick Overcharge with your third EGO point and not your first. This will give you fast access to Two EGO abilities.

4.My next step is was to unlock my third and fourth abilities. The most efficient way I found to give me quick access to all the skill I wanted was to make a straight line frome the outside corner of cloak. 'single minded' a decent skill but not the point. The point is to have no locked skills or at the very least quick access to ulock them. Assign a point to 'Single minded" and make a row straight down. This will unlock 'Fortified Stance', 'Hunker Down', and 'Hunter's Stance'. It also allows you to unlock "Cloak", your third EGO skill. As you see this row of selections also gave you access to the outside row of skill which you can easily put points into later(materialize and infiltrator are great.) 8 points-3 EGO Abilities

5. Three down, one to go. By starting a line at the outside corner of "cloak" and going right ('Nervers of Steel', 'Gunslinger', 'Kill or be Killed' and 'Hyperactive') you can get your Blur unlocked, get a few points in some of the games better Crit boosting skills and unlock 'just rewards' and 'Endurance runner' to put points in later for a melee or treasure hunter build. 13 ego pints and you have all 4 Abilities.

6. DONE! right? Not quite. We still have a large number of skills with a lock on them and we are missing some vital skills for our "Overcharge" build. This is where the skill placement gets tricky.
I start back at 'Scavenger'. Picking up 'Overload' and 'Fortitude' will open a few more and give you 2 great skill to use in builds. Instead of using the outside corner method to unlock the remaining skills in between "Blur" and "Overcharge" I will start back at 'Overload" again so I can address the skills toward the middle at the same time. 'Emergency Ammo' should be your next choice. Not a stellar skill in my opinion but our goal is really the next row of skills.

7.Now that you have unlocked 'Emergency Ammo' you should be able to unlock 'Sonic Strike'. If you make a row to the right and select 'Survival Instinct', 'Explosive Onslaught' and 'Second Wind'. This will totally open up the left side and give you access to 'Killing Machine'.

8. Just to the left of 'Emergency Ammo' is 'Regeneration", which is your next step and then 'Killing Spree'.

9.We now need to adress all the great skills located between "Decoy" and "Overcharge". I find most people either do damage or heal which is why I left the gap between these two Abilities. I choose 'Combat Medic', 'Bloodlust', 'Deadly Cascade' and 'Quick Charge' to unlock/fill this gap. It used the same number of spaces as the outside corner method but it allowed me to pick up 3 of my favorite skills. Note: You can easily alter your starting ability and leave out certaint skills you find unnecesarry.

10. DONE! maybe?. As you see you still have a few(7) locked skills. This layout should make it easy for you to unlock them if you see fit. A couple will be unlocked simply by finishing your builds. (for example 'Killing Machine'(almost mandatory if you ask some) will unlock 'Risk Taker' and 'Pinata'(a must have for every nade farmer) will unlock 'Shock Trooper".

I hope this helps at least a few of you that are frustrated find a way to get more out of your grid. Thanks and please be gentle. I am new to this whole forum posting stuff.

I can see that you are new because - apologize - you show nothing.

Leveling target is to get all ego skills. You just wrote a map for useful perks. A map. Not the solution or example of Smash Builds.

It is okay when you are like ego 200. So it is like 10 hours of play. After that, you don't need a map.

Don't take me wrong, but If you are writing about so many experience in MMO and then about how to help people which maxed their Ego Power you should do better that simple map for first 10 hours of playing :)

EGOmaniac
05-19-2013, 04:48 PM
If you already know this then you clearly didn't need my post. Thank you for the completely unhelpful replies. There are people stating the game is over at 1300 EGO. I have also heard people confused on how to get to things like Sucker Punch or Intimidate while using a Overcharge build or being stuck with worthless skills. My point was with this layout. after you have maxxed the 5 skills needed for the first build, you have a good starting point for your second and third build, or "character". Guess thats what I get for trying to be helpful.
Also want to note that If you think the point of a MMO type game is to max level then you should pick a new hobby. MMO type games are about building the gear to beat all the other carbon copy builds. Warcraft hasn't made bazzilions because of the rush to max level.
This is simply a way for lower EGO players to Min/Max a little.

4ndreas
05-19-2013, 05:25 PM
It is okay when you are like ego 200. So it is like 10 hours of play. After that, you don't need a map.

I'm sorry but WHAT??? EGO rating 200 is only if you decide to look for all Mt. Tam data recorders before doing the quests. If you play serious at all 200 is done in 2 hours or less (not making an alt to test it but seriously ...).