PDA

View Full Version : So I'm not so great at the racing pursuits....

crasher
05-20-2013, 07:59 AM
... I figured at E-1800 I'd give the HotShots a whirl.

Ok, Desperate Times, they hand me a pump shotgun, 3 shells, and set 1400 Berserkers on my ***, and I have to stay inside a small circle thats quickly filling up with badguys.

Moonshine Shack, samesame, different badguys...

WTF?

No, just, No.

I guess the racing pursuits, hotshot pursuits and whateverthef***else kinda s**t they're gonna throw at me like that with no explain of the rules and limitations.... byte me.
No.

My respects, etc....

Combo Breaker
05-20-2013, 08:27 AM
I had to replay a few myself to figure out where to take cover and where the enemy was spawning from. It just takes some patience to learn exactly what and when to do things.

The racing pursuits I did yell and scream. Just run the same one over and over and learn every bump. It's frustrating,but doable. If an Arkfall is in the area you might consider trying a different race. Lag.

sQuinty
05-20-2013, 08:29 AM

Ok, Desperate Times, they hand me a pump shotgun, 3 shells, and set 1400 Berserkers on my ***, and I have to stay inside a small circle thats quickly filling up with badguys.

WTF?

No, just, No.

I guess the racing pursuits, hotshot pursuits and whateverthef***else kinda s**t they're gonna throw at me like that with no explain of the rules and limitations.... byte me.
No.

My respects, etc....

I personally liked the facts I had to figure somethings out on my own with them, not that they were difficult to figure out really, but pretty refreshing compared to some other MMO's I have played.

The racing ones so far have been fairly straight forward, not sure why your complaining there.

But there is also google, I haven't found much in this game I couldn't google if I wanted to, or didn't want to in some cases.

fmarin83
05-20-2013, 08:31 AM
the racing ones piss me off. you make one mistake, sometimes its due to lag and stuff not showing up on your tv screen and your done. sometimes when you restart the race the timer is at 5 seconds before it starts!

crasher
05-20-2013, 08:38 AM
I personally liked the facts I had to figure somethings out on my own with them,

::Snip::

But there is also google, I haven't found much in this game I couldn't google if I wanted to, or didn't want to in some cases.

I could google how to get passed the dagget on the bridge, too, but if I have to google it, I'm not going to cross the bridge.

;)

I'm not *****ing because I think the game should be changed, or poor little me.

I'm *****ing because I prefer games that I don't have to figure out whats going on in a completely new/different scenario in the 3 feet around me in the first 1.4 milliseconds or die, and then replay that scene 400 times til I get it right.

That's not skill or aptitude. Play it once, do your best, and done.

This is learning a dance step by rote while being hit with baseballbats.

I was making a comment about why I'm just not suited for that philosophy or style and therefor it's an area I'm not going to go.

It's a personal limitation on my abilities, and I can't share the victory lap with you calmheaded quick thinkers.

I'm not being snarky. I wish I possessed the ability. I don't in RL, either.

C'est la guerre.

We're still pals, though.

Ryme
05-20-2013, 08:42 AM
First, it's taken you this long to realize Trion is horrible at communication?

Desperate Times gives you 3 shells in the weapon but a visible pool of ammo for refills.

Moonshine Shack gives you 3 shots, but enemies drop additional ammo. Kill enemies, pick up more ammo.

Maybe you should just stick to rampage events. You don't have to worry about ammo in those.

Thearl
05-20-2013, 08:48 AM
I had to replay a few myself to figure out where to take cover and where the enemy was spawning from. It just takes some patience to learn exactly what and when to do things.

The racing pursuits I did yell and scream. Just run the same one over and over and learn every bump. It's frustrating,but doable. If an Arkfall is in the area you might consider trying a different race. Lag.

Yesterday, I was on track for a gold on the Uplands racing trial when a 'Prosperity in 99' minor arkfall landed on my runner during lap 2. It literally bounced me and the runner backwards 10 meters. Its just part of the game that adds random misery and makes you start trials over again.

Combo Breaker
05-20-2013, 08:59 AM
The time trials were something that I would have had to commentate over as the words "cheating" and "************" were constantly spewing from my mouth even as I won gold.

The time I beat one with one second to spare and it added 2 seconds was a wonderful experience. The extended vocabulary I displayed to the game was unmatched.

cusman
05-20-2013, 09:50 AM

WTF?

No, just, No.

No.

My respects, etc....

For the Racing, the ones that seem impossible will feel much easier once they fix the 3-4 second bug on some of them. Also once your Roller is leveled 15-20, then you are lot faster and get better times. I don't think Gold times are even possible unless your Roller skill is sufficiently leveled.

For the Hotshots, the ones I found the hardest were not too hard once you realize it is all about your Multiplier and not how many enemies you take down. For each of them, figure out how the multiplier is gained/lost and focus on just that. If there is no "timer" on the event, then be really patient and very accurate. If there is a timer, then you need to be running/gunning without taking damage (which might be reducing your multiplier). The Hotshots are really more strategy than skill in some cases... go in with good strategy, maybe the right perks to help you. There are videos on YouTube for each one that will help you.

Ichidakiller
05-20-2013, 10:14 AM
So I started another character just to funnel my other toon items that have mod slots equipped (im not spending 120k salvage to add mod slots to a weapon im going to turn around and salvage the moment its exp is capped.
Anyways so I hope the wall and start my game since I had the preorder bonuses I ran start to the races completed them all and my 1080 im sitting there like wtf about the write a ticket saying I didn't receive my black dodge.

Look at the pursuit one last time and whoops guess back to the first camp to get my growler...yep I had everything completed for the pedal to the medal except I never did a single mission to get my growler...whoops.
Now sitting at a decent 800ego without doing any mission beyond sniper ridge.

The races are easy sir.

sQuinty
05-20-2013, 10:23 AM
So I started another character just to funnel my other toon items that have mod slots equipped (im not spending 120k salvage to add mod slots to a weapon im going to turn around and salvage the moment its exp is capped.

So the salvage cost is tied to the players ego, not the items ego level?

Sorry still fairly new to the game, but this seems fairly broken, may have to get a second account to dual box, was debating this when if I see the game on sale after playing a few more weeks anyway, but this would make it an easy decision.

crasher
05-20-2013, 03:56 PM
So ..............................snip................ ...............

The races are easy sir.

My ATV with maxed XP won't pass a tree or fencepost without veering to one side to hit it.

I need an exorcist, I tell's ya.

Wtflag
05-20-2013, 04:38 PM
1. It is better to max your roller before trying racing pursuits. You need the +12% speed.

2. The harder it is, the more prestige the Black Dodger gains. What is the point if every talentless clueless player can get gold with his eyes closed and every tom/****/harry owns the Black Dodger?

3. Rules is simple: get to the golden gate within the specified time or get certain number of kills within specified time/ammo. But there is a trick to almost every race/hotshot. If you don't bother to take your time to figure out the trick, you don't deserve gold. Be happy with your sliver/bonze. Those are easy to get even one first try.

Saboteur 6
05-20-2013, 05:17 PM
I wouldn't say that the races are easy but they're certainly doable. My advice to the OP is obvious but still valid; try and try again and you will improve. I'd offer help but the driving courses are almost 100% skill based. I suppose it's worth noting that :

- Nitrous boosting in the air can be a waste as you get more speed using it once you land.
- Nitrous boosting can help "re-center" the camera to correct over steering.
- You can chain Nitrous boosting when passing through checkpoints with the orb at the center.
- Always Nitrous throughout the course but especially during inclines. Even pulsing it helps as it refills.

Ichidakiller
05-20-2013, 06:04 PM
Tips
1. Time your boosts well. If you see incline coming and the next check point isn't a boost refill save your boost for the incline.
2. You dont have to be level ten level 3-5 in rollers is plenty.
3. When airborne if you see a decline in terrain try timing boosting with the decline so you come down on the down side of it. Hitting the incline of flat surface while boosting in air will cause a loss of time. Follow the lay of the land as well if next check point if left or right of landing point gently steer slughlt towards it and boost as soon as your wheels touch to lessen the loss of speed.
4. Learn to powerslide powrslide is your friend for tight corners for hitting check points. If one corner is giving you problems dont be afraid to let off the gas for a second or two to make sure you make it. Slight decrease if speed>then coming back to hit a checkpoint.
5. Until you know the times at certain checkpoints during the race if you make a mistake restart. If for any reason during a restart you start off the quad or there is a lag of the timers starting. Abandon race immediately and start from scratch (this causes the dreaded server adding 3-6second bug)
6. Dont be afraid to slowly cruise the track a few times to figure out the tough spots. When you become familiar with the track go balls out.
7. Think ahead remember where the check points are during a race and plan your route according. If you know a tight corner to the left is coming up swing out far right and cut through the corner remembering its ok to let off the gas a little. When you become better you can powerslide all the tight corners and be fine.
8. During the slow first couple look for rocks, fences etc any form of speedbumps. These will kill your times. Esp if you hit one that launches you vertical. If this happens restart.
9. Before you accept race challenge and look at the time. Cut that in half if you more then 4seconds off the half way point and are not comfortable with the track restart.
10. Certain tracks until you are high level in runners. Will require a 1-2 second layoff of boost between refill check points gauge the distance if it looks long dont be afraid to let off boost for a second or two and the boosting again. Make sure you try to time hitting a boost refill right as the previous letter is about to run out. To long and you'll have to reapply boost.
11. Dont give up. Few laps should be enough for most anyone to complete these races with ease and seconds to spare.

I hope this helps and if your stuck on one drop me a line and tell me which part your stuck on I'll try to help ya out.

Odessa
05-20-2013, 06:08 PM
I'm with you on the timed Trials. I've never been a fan of them... EVER. I think the worst one I encountered was the Savior one (sniping). Those poor guys didn't stand a chance with me behind the gun. I believe the race by Diablo station has me stumped. One wrong turn and you're off the side of the mountain without a way up. My vehicles are both at 20. I just suck at driving in games.

Iceberg
05-20-2013, 06:13 PM
First, it's taken you this long to realize Trion is horrible at communication?

Desperate Times gives you 3 shells in the weapon but a visible pool of ammo for refills.

Moonshine Shack gives you 3 shots, but enemies drop additional ammo. Kill enemies, pick up more ammo.

Maybe you should just stick to rampage events. You don't have to worry about ammo in those.

Not always, and that is with the scavenger perk, the are quite random with ammo drops.

Xenosaj
05-20-2013, 07:04 PM
Standing challenge to anyone complaining about difficulty and having to react without knowing the rules in this game: go play the original Mega Man games, then tell me how Defiance is difficult.

OmniDevil
05-20-2013, 07:23 PM

WTF?

No, just, No.

No.

My respects, etc....

Racing: what helped me was getting Runners to Rank 7. After that, getting Silver wasn't so hard
Hotshot: Desperate Times: Try to group them up in multiples of 2-3. The Shotgun will insta-kill enemies when close enough and multiple enemies at once, if lined up correctly. Going inside the building or waiting just outside of the door helps with this too
Hotshot: Moonshine Shack: All you need is a shield with a quick recharge (ie: Respark) and Scavenger Perk equiped (I have all three points on it, but some say just 1 to 2 is fine). You won't run out of ammo and getting to 8,000 was really easy.

I hope this helps!

krazyx86
05-20-2013, 07:29 PM
The time trials were something that I would have had to commentate over as the words "cheating" and "************" were constantly spewing from my mouth even as I won gold.

The time I beat one with one second to spare and it added 2 seconds was a wonderful experience. The extended vocabulary I displayed to the game was unmatched.

Haha I love your attitude, you seem like a fun guy :D. (And yes I'm being serious)

DrFeelzgud
05-20-2013, 07:38 PM
Most of the shooting ones I haven't really had any big problems with, other then the chicken one early on. Figuring them out is part of the fun I think. Really, they only take a time or two to figure out what you need to do for the most part, though it may take more then that to actually do it well.

Now the racing ones, those suckers bring out a few more profanities then I care to admit. I've had some go smooth, and count my blessings on those, but then there's the ones were it's over and over again trying to get a clean run.

Nothing worse then having emergencies cropping up all over your race course, and one little mistake and you can pretty much kiss the Gold goodbye. I can eventually get them, but it's friggin annoying half the time having to do it over and over because of one little set back.

San Francisco seems the worst for the racing imo, the terrain is bad enough, but there's always some Dark Matter and Scrapper camps on every course, multiple camps that is. Nothing like going balls out and trying to hit the ring but not the Forge that is suddenly standing right in the middle of it, or a nice obstacle course of vehicles and blocks of barriers right in your path and a Dark Matter Monitor staring you down as you try to maneuver through the ring they set up on.

I do wish they could some how phase the races or something so we don't have to contend with the Emergencies, Arkfalls, Shadow Wars and what not that seem to always crop up in your way. The terrain and clock are enough to make it a challenge for most of us.

PitBull76
05-20-2013, 08:06 PM
I guess I am one of the few that has completed all the extras...

For Time Trials: Get your Runner level up to acquire the bonuses, then run the trials. It may take a few times but you should be able to learn the course. Emergencies can complicate things, and they did for me as well, but if there is one giving you trouble move to the next one and come back later.

Hotshots can be made easier by 1) using maxed weapons and having high level with that weapon type. 2) adjust your perks. Example: Moonshine Shack... Use the scavenger perk to get additional ammo drops from the enemies you kill. It makes running out of ammo much less of an issue. There are other perks that will help a great deal but I found that, for me, it was far more enjoyable to figure out some of those tricks on my own.