PDA

View Full Version : My Beta Impressions

purgatori
03-22-2013, 11:42 PM
Combat: I don't want to be unkind here, because I appreciate any MMO that tries to implement a bona-fide action combat system, but the TPS mechanics in Defiance are too simplistic, floaty, and loose for me to derive any satisfaction from them. Couple this with the Borderlands-style '1 active power' restriction and I'm afraid that, in my opinion, Defiance doesn't have much depth going for it on the RPG/tactical side of things either.

Character Creation: With only two races (which, as far as I can tell, only differ cosmetically anyway), no real character classes, and a very limited number of cosmetic customization options, the character creation is a let-down compared to other MMO/RPGs. I didn't care about selecting my background, as it only seemed to affect my starting equipment, rather than the abilities that would be available to me as I leveled up.

Questing: Not too bad at all. The quests feel meaningful and organic. Having objectives like 'take out the snipers firing at x' or 'rescue x' are a lot more fun than the usual 'collect 10 of x' quests that are the bread-and-butter of most other MMOs.

Social: No real complaints here, other than it being rather difficult to figure out how to 'group.' Not such a big deal though, as there were usually other players who would arrive at the scene of my next mission objective -- a very cool feature, by the way.

Overall: If the fundamentals of combat were more engaging I would be looking forward to getting my hands on the full version of this game at launch. As it stands, though, I really have no desire to return to the game.

PapaMudd
03-22-2013, 11:45 PM
very well written and I think you are on the money with what you said as well

OuttaQuarters
03-22-2013, 11:52 PM
Very organized criticisms. just in case that you aren't aware in red

Combat: I don't want to be unkind here, because I appreciate any MMO that tries to implement a bona-fide action combat system, but the TPS mechanics in Defiance are too simplistic, floaty, and loose for me to derive any satisfaction from them. Couple this with the Borderlands-style '1 active power' restriction and I'm afraid that, in my opinion, Defiance doesn't have much depth going for it on the RPG/tactical side of things either. you can add different loadouts to have different ACTIVES to be used for different occasions

Character Creation: With only two races (which, as far as I can tell, only differ cosmetically anyway), no real character classes, and a very limited number of cosmetic customization options, the character creation is a let-down compared to other MMO/RPGs. I didn't care about selecting my background, as it only seemed to affect my starting equipment, rather than the abilities that would be available to me as I leveled up. more races are going to added, yes 2 at startup more down the line

Questing: Not too bad at all. The quests feel meaningful and organic. Having objectives like 'take out the snipers firing at x' or 'rescue x' are a lot more fun than the usual 'collect 10 of x' quests that are the bread-and-butter of most other MMOs.

Social: No real complaints here, other than it being rather difficult to figure out how to 'group.' Not such a big deal though, as there were usually other players who would arrive at the scene of my next mission objective -- a very cool feature, by the way.

Overall: If the fundamentals of combat were more engaging I would be looking forward to getting my hands on the full version of this game at launch. As it stands, though, I really have no desire to return to the game.

seany1977
03-23-2013, 12:26 AM
Send your feedback to the devs. They are unlikely to be seen here

purgatori
03-23-2013, 12:31 AM
Thanks for the responses. @OuttaQuarters: Do you know whether the races they plan to add will have unique attributes/abilities?

Oberon
03-23-2013, 12:38 AM
[QUOTE=more races are going to added, yes 2 at startup more down the line[/QUOTE]

Still bit poor with only 2 at launch and their really no difference in how they perform. So basicly we will get the other races in time, but they will only be cosmetic. So why would start a new one from scratch. The Secret World had the same issue there was no big difference between the factions and therefore there wasn't much replay value.

I

Drkhao
03-23-2013, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the responses. @OuttaQuarters: Do you know whether the races they plan to add will have unique attributes/abilities?

.. Honestly.. I hope not. I'm so done with the "racial" abilities. I enjoy the basic physical differences.

I actually enjoyed the TPS combat style, hiding behind certain areas, finding different critical spots. Idk seems pretty interesting to me. The numbers on the guns alone are pretty interesting.

ocktos
03-23-2013, 01:12 AM

dont think they plan on allowing racial skills.... since that would require time to redo everything and balance and tweak each one so PVP ... stays " PLAYER Skill " not Racial benefits

TheFool
03-23-2013, 02:47 AM
The beta is alot of fun, i've found a bug (in the 360 beta) that allows me to take the dodge challenger from the time trial and drive / spawn it wherever and whenever I want. Without this glitched you either 1. fail the time trial for not driving through the checkpoints within the allowed time. 2. fail the time trial by simply leaving your car. But with the glitch I found you can take your very own dodge challenger wherever you want! Had some fun showing mine off at some arkfall events today :D

purgatori
03-23-2013, 03:07 AM
.. Honestly.. I hope not. I'm so done with the "racial" abilities. I enjoy the basic physical differences.

I actually enjoyed the TPS combat style, hiding behind certain areas, finding different critical spots. Idk seems pretty interesting to me. The numbers on the guns alone are pretty interesting.

I am genuinely glad that you find the combat enjoyable. I guess my issue is that TPS combat has been done a lot better elsewhere, and I don't really find that merely having a lot of other people around makes up for that. I didn't have a good look at the gun stats, though, so I will check those out.

Drkhao
03-23-2013, 03:45 AM
I am genuinely glad that you find the combat enjoyable. I guess my issue is that TPS combat has been done a lot better elsewhere, and I don't really find that merely having a lot of other people around makes up for that. I didn't have a good look at the gun stats, though, so I will check those out.

I just enjoy the freedom of being able to actually control my character. Not having to deal with 'not in range' or some other frustrating issues Third person games have. I'm speaking directly from an MMO stand point. Not just TPS games in general. Nice change up from turned based style of play. For a beta I am actually very happy :)