PDA

View Full Version : I don't feel the power :/

Rastaban
03-22-2013, 11:43 PM
Okay so I've played for over 6 hours, reached lvl 150 and had to quit and go to work. Here I contemplate my progress, and to be honest it doesn't FEEL like I've made much at all. What exactly have I gotten for my efforts? Some situational ego boosts I've tinkered with, a smidgen more health and that's about it. Nothing else seems to be advancing. The lvl 150 weapon I have no has the exact same stats as the lvl --- weapon I was given at the very beginning of the game! Am I ever going to find a shield with more than 1500 hp? (base 1000) Why even upgrade from your noob gear if the stats never get any better on new stuff?

Am I missing something? I don't feel the progress, I don't feel more powerful than I was at the beginning of the game.

Secondarily... are the weapons balanced? Because for me some guns don't do more than tickle the baddies. One raider will absorb an entire magazine of ammo from an SMG, pistols won't really do anything, and combat shotguns feel like I'm hurling the shells by hand for the damage I'm doing. The only weapons I can seem to get consistent damage out of are the sniper rifles and the LMG, which seems to tear everything up. Anyone else have these issues?

Dworph
03-22-2013, 11:45 PM
I think there is still some balancing to do it seems, these MMO games are a work in progress up until they shut em down. I'm hoping this gets some attention too.

PapaMudd
03-22-2013, 11:49 PM
fair enough and well said

MattN
03-23-2013, 12:41 AM
I agree with you. There's a green LMG I got early in the game that I keep using, as the purple epic items I bought from lockbox are much weaker....

The LMG is 400 dmg Rof 8 and then there's are guns that's 50 dmg 15 rof (purple) completely worthless, you have to use up all ammo just to kill anything. You are force to choose high damage, low ROF, accurate weapons because of ammo efficiency constraint. Only guns that's worth getting are the sniper rifles, LMG, and auto shotgun with burst. Get the ones with nano effects if you can. Explosive weapons has high damage, but low DPS because of low ROF and little ammo.

I'm shooting the mutants for 400s damage with LMG and yet I was doing 9 damage to the hellbug warrior in group....Can't kill them unless shoot in the mouth, which is not easy.

The powers doesn't offer much of an advantage as the cool down is too long duration too short, and the perks are also negligible, a few percentage upgrade is nothing. There's progress, but so small you won't notice it at all.

Guns dps needs to be work on alot. Power and perks needs to have deeper impact.

Rastaban
03-23-2013, 12:57 AM
Haha, I was about to say, the LMG weapon of the SAW type is superior to any weapon I've used so far. It's more accurate than an assault rifle, has 85 rounds, the recoil is manageable and ROF is controllable, it zooms in far and tears anything in its path to pieces. I had one with siphon and it was my BFF until I had to trash it when its XP bar filled up. :(

Unless there's something more down the road to look forward to, people won't play for hours and hours just to upgrade their gear with a whopping 1% more power.

Fiancee
03-23-2013, 12:59 AM
150 is basically nothing as max is 5000.

Rastaban
03-23-2013, 01:04 AM
Well they say the game has no level cap, that 5000 is a theoretical limit factoring in hundreds if not thousands of hours. What I'm saying is the way they have it set up, 'skill based' and all that, you'll have the SAME weapons at 5000!

Drkhao
03-23-2013, 01:07 AM
so the first green pistol I got had 25 less base damage..
However the crit was was a huge difference. I've already seen a large increase in pistols and shotguns. My head shots started out at like 700 first green pistol shot up to 1800... maybe I am crazy? Whatever, it's an 3 month old beta (360).

MattN
03-23-2013, 01:21 AM
They need to buff the AR and SMG dps, these are terrible compare to LMG and use the same ammo pool. There are some low damage high ROF LMG, stay away from those. Pump shotguns and Saw-off are so much weaker than auto-shotgun with high cap in dps. Explosive weapons are also weak with low ammo, 2 rds of LMG is the same damage of a rocket...

Zunjin
03-23-2013, 01:22 AM
Unless there's something more down the road to look forward to, people won't play for hours and hours just to upgrade their gear with a whopping 1% more power.

I get your point Rastaban, but I don't think that Defiance is meant to "play for hours and hours" like some people are doing with MMORPGs. I have read a few articles where Trion said, that they think about Defiance more of an Online Shooter than an MMORPG with aiming. (And since it ain't an RPG there won't be a lot of progression either)

For me Defiance is more some sort of "Borderlands Online" with a lot more players around you. A game you play for a couple of hours on the weekend. Where you jump in, play with some friends, have lots of fun, take a break and wait for the release of the next "episode" (free content patch / dlc) to play through a new part of the story. Nothing more nothing less. And I think it will be worth the 39 Euro I have spent at Origin.

Rastaban
03-23-2013, 01:48 AM
Buddy, if you're not playing for hours and hours, you won't be sinking your cash into it, and if you're not paying them, they won't keep releasing free content. It'll probably last about as long as the show, knowing Syfy Originals...

No matter what the sub-type, they want their game to be addictive and keep you wanting to play it. No one invests this much money into making an MMO and then shrug their shoulders if asked whether they want people to keep playing it. This game came out of left field and absolutely blew Firefall out of the water! That takes some serious dime. They want that back in up front sales and micro-transactions.

The Borderlands comparison is apt. A lot of the equipment system in this game resembles it. But with Borderlands, you had WILDLY different types of guns with crazy properties and as you leveled up, you were always eager to find a new weapon to destroy the enemy with. Defiance: "Welcome, here's your gun. You're going to be firing a gun just like this for the rest of the game. Enjoy."

Dead_Phoenix
03-23-2013, 02:03 AM
Thing is, this is a TPS not an RPG.

i always felt its a TPSMMO then a MMOTPS. which means the progression system is perfect. (ie tps with mmo elements, then an mmo in the style of tps).

its not supposed to be about powerful gear increasements, only minor ones. so that a ego 100 can challange a 1000. ie tps

Rastaban
03-23-2013, 03:22 AM
TPSs have been RPGs before. And why would the placement of each acronym within a compound acronym dictate progression style? You have a very concrete idea of what a TPS MUST be, little to no progression and no RPG elements. I don't see these absolutes.

In an E-sports game or PVP only like global agenda or TF2, that's all fine and good. But when we get into Co-op and MMO features, you'll need SOMETHING bringing the kiddies back so you can get cash to put into making more game for them. That means this game will have to have a pretty friggin crackerjack story arc to it.

Dead_Phoenix
03-23-2013, 03:34 AM
TPSs have been RPGs before. And why would the placement of each acronym within a compound acronym dictate progression style? You have a very concrete idea of what a TPS MUST be, little to no progression and no RPG elements. I don't see these absolutes.

In an E-sports game or PVP only like global agenda or TF2, that's all fine and good. But when we get into Co-op and MMO features, you'll need SOMETHING bringing the kiddies back so you can get cash to put into making more game for them. That means this game will have to have a pretty friggin crackerjack story arc to it.

such as? what tps style game has a strong gear progression system in an mmo world?

Rastaban
03-23-2013, 03:37 AM
Tabula Rasa did. *sniff*

You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you all to hell! Why did you have to go into space and let them do this to your baby Garriott?! *shakes fist*

Sorry... strong emotions.

Edit: Check it http://zeus.jrq.ch/trcb/ Full skill system with level progression into branching classes. Elemental type weapons with increasing damage and stats by level.

DustOfDeath
03-23-2013, 03:47 AM
so yeah its a TPS... but they have appealed and adverised it wrong so it attracted loads of RPG players who are now dissapointed.

I wouldnt be amazed if thousands of preorders were reversed/cancelled.

xxSHEPERDxx
03-23-2013, 03:58 AM
I liked the fact that I didn't have to level to insane amounts just to explore the other side of the map. What I didn't like is the shared ammo pool with ARs, LMGs and SMGs. LMG's had to take the cake there out of necessity. Give the 3 weapon types their own ammo types and key in some trademark advantages, such as SMGs having high recoil and cruddy range but fast reloads, ARs being a balance, and LMGs having cruddy accuracy with sustained fire but high damage and high reload time.

However, since every gun is going to have it's own exp bar, why not give them each their own ammo? TBH i'm not fond of guns having their own exp bar. That should be tied to the owner entirely. Just seems very weird. :\

Thee Apothecary
03-23-2013, 03:59 AM
ive just found an AR that destroys anything you shoot at

Dead_Phoenix
03-23-2013, 04:08 AM
Tabula Rasa did. *sniff*

You maniacs! You blew it up! Damn you all to hell! Why did you have to go into space and let them do this to your baby Garriott?! *shakes fist*

Sorry... strong emotions.

Edit: Check it http://zeus.jrq.ch/trcb/ Full skill system with level progression into branching classes. Elemental type weapons with increasing damage and stats by level.

but (bare in mind i didnt play TR, so bare with me) wasnt TR more of a turn based mmo, with shooter elements? where as this is all shooter. it just wouldnt fit.

so like i said is there a pixel perfect shooter tps mmo? with rpg elements?

Drkhao
03-23-2013, 04:10 AM
but (bare in mind i didnt play TR, so bare with me) wasnt TR more of a turn based mmo, with shooter elements? where as this is all shooter. it just wouldnt fit.

so like i said is there a pixel perfect shooter tps mmo? with rpg elements?

No >_> <_<

Dead_Phoenix
03-23-2013, 04:11 AM
No >_> <_<

no i got TR wrong or no there is nothing like this anywhere?

Drkhao
03-23-2013, 04:16 AM
no i got TR wrong or no there is nothing like this anywhere?

Yes, you are correct. .

Firebrand
03-23-2013, 04:41 AM
For some clarification, gaining a higher Ego Rating will eventually increase the chances of getting weapon modification slots on a weapon upon it's acquisition. You will also gain better bonuses on higher rarity weapons (both hidden and visible) when getting higher in the Ego Rating. These scaling bonuses will not be drastic increases like a typical MMORPG game due to the fact that Defiance is designed to be a TPS first and RPG second.

Secondly, there are synergies that can be obtained on weaponry as you gain higher ego rating. These are kind of like set items. To gain these synergy benefits found on weapons, you will need to place specific weapon mods into the weapon that are meant for that synergy on a weapon. You can easily see this by looking at the mod itself and seeing if it has the same synergy name and bonuses listed on it.

For some examples of different rarity bonuses, read the following:

White Rarity items will not have defaulted bonuses on them until possibly high ego rating.

Weapons:

Green Rarity weapons can have bonuses that range from small increases to reload speed, fire rate, magazine capacity and so forth. The hidden bonuses gained when an exp bar on the weapon is maxed out will be similar increases (reload speed, fire rate, melee damage, crit multiplier, etc).

Blue rarity weapons will spawn with similar bonuses that green rarity weapons can have. Blue rarity weapons also have a higher chance of better hidden bonuses when an exp bar on the weapon is maxed out (i.e bonus damage when above enemy)

Purple rarity weapons may spawn with special bonuses (i.e. recharge ego ability by 10% on reload, recharge grenade by 15% on kill). The hidden bonuses are also a lot better than lower rarity weapons.

Orange rarity weapons may spawn with special bonuses and synergies that are only found on orange rarity weaponry. There are also some interesting hidden bonuses as you acquire higher ego rating orange rarity weaponry.

Shields:

The higher rarity the shield (white, green, blue, purple, orange), the better chances of bonuses and lower recharge rates.

For example, a green Hurricane Regenerator shield will have 1020 shields, 6 sec recharge delay and +25% health regeneration. A blue version of the exact same shield may have higher shield value or lower recharge delay. In addition, the blue rarity can also have a higher health regeneration effect. A purple rarity will scale even more and so forth.

Grenades:

The higher the rarity and ego rating on a grenade, the higher the output the grenade can have. This can be differentiated by effective radius, damage, recharge rate, and duration of effects.

Example: A white frag grenade may deal 3000 damage max with 480 minimum damage. Whereas a blue one of the same type may deal 3050 damage max and 500 minimum.

In conclusion, there is some minor scaling that is not much different from stock weapons. However, the higher ego rating you gain and the more you play, the better the gear will be in a different form than a typical MMORPG.

xxSHEPERDxx
03-23-2013, 04:47 AM
So it looks like many of us are going to be holding on to specific guns for a while (especially console players where the competition from other games is more fierce). In that case, hope they add in a feature to change the paint scheme on guns. Not a fan of nerf-or-nothin' bright blue.

knightseed
03-23-2013, 05:01 AM
i`m near the end game stuff and i`m not a first person shooter player.
I dont think i could be playing this game right now if it was not for the Decoy and flash grenade.
Im buying this game but its not going be easy`er later on. . .

Sanguinesun
03-23-2013, 05:12 AM
I dont think i could be playing this game right now if it was not for the Decoy and flash grenade.

The game is much easier than you think. Also deaths just eat 5% of your money and some of your time. That's it and its a decent learning tool.

That said, I -rarely- pick a starting build with decoy and I hate bothering with flash nades. I prefer a more damage oriented build that improves item/ammo drops myself. It works like a charm for my play style.

xxSHEPERDxx
03-23-2013, 05:29 AM
LMG + combat shotgun with grenade rounds (tier 3 lockbox, only useful lockbox item) = easy money. Everything else I just run over with the 4x4 (it's seriously OP) and call it a day.

Sanguinesun
03-23-2013, 05:31 AM
LMG + combat shotgun with grenade rounds (tier 3 lockbox, only useful lockbox item) = easy money. Everything else I just run over with the 4x4 (it's seriously OP) and call it a day.

Though you need to keep in mind that pure car kills until they change it, dont typically reward drops of any sort.

JustAHermit
03-23-2013, 05:43 AM

That's why we have friends. ^^ I didn't rely on my ego at all or grenades but I have a bit of experience with FPS.

knightseed
03-23-2013, 05:53 AM
Only time will tell.
even if Decoy might not be the best way to go i`m still going that way.
I made one friend and play with alot of random gamers , i prefer to play with random players this way i will have more me time.
Im on the ps3 and the game is fun.oh and i skip all the cutscenes for better replay the next time around.

Sanguinesun
03-23-2013, 05:59 AM
Only time will tell.
even if Decoy might not be the best way to go i`m still going that way.
I made one friend and play with alot of random gamers , i prefer to play with random players this way i will have more me time.
Im on the ps3 and the game is fun.oh and i skip all the cutscenes for better replay the next time around.

If you can learn to actually play without using your major perk ability, you'll find that you're 10x better off later when you do use it for very challenging situations.

Btw too, for arkfalls and rank scores, decoy really doesnt do anything for you significantly cept keep some bugs off you. The overcharge boosts your damage which has a more direct impact on rank/reward for an arkfall. Decoy can help, but its just not as impactual.