PDA

View Full Version : Game not worth 60USD

Dakaa
03-23-2013, 01:28 AM
30-40USD at best, judging from its current state.

EDIT: currently, my fav mmo/online games are League of Legends and Path of Exile, i'm still looking for something new to change to, unfortunately this is not the one.

Zunjin
03-23-2013, 01:30 AM

If you think so. Just wait a few month until the price went down a bit. See you than.

Dakaa
03-23-2013, 01:33 AM
If you think so. Just wait a few month until the price went down a bit. See you than.

Probably will hold out on this, there are tons of titles comin' out this year.

armedpoop
03-23-2013, 01:33 AM
Well gee wiz. Im quite certain that no BETA is worth 60USD.

Dakaa
03-23-2013, 01:39 AM
Oh yeah, the beta is free and it gives you a taste of what the full game will almost be like, judging from that it's certainly not worth 60USD for release. Will wait for Steam sales discount which will most likely happen, after witnessing RIFT went from full price to 30USD~ then to 20USD~ and again down to 15USD~ over a period of several months.

Paladin
03-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Oh yeah, the beta is free and it gives you a taste of what the full game will almost be like, judging from that it's certainly not worth 60USD for release. Will wait for Steam sales discount which will most likely happen, after witnessing RIFT went from full price to 30USD~ then to 20USD~ and again down to 15USD~ over a period of several months.

Beta build is a 4 month old production? Lots of improvements have been made from this build.

Reiter
03-23-2013, 01:50 AM
Its free to play.

Why?

You can buy script or whatever its called for X amount.

BANG! HEADSHOT TO THE KNEE!!!!

Yeah, its free to play. You buy vehicles, clothing, and a set percentange bonus to EGO/Exp/ect for a duration (basicly gives you a small buff to level your EGO faster). When in game, hit escape, lower left corner with the circle the EGO and a dial pops up, bottom is "Defiance Store" for money to script packs. Just like the other free to plays. So your $60 USD is basicly buying a pack of script, not the actual game itself....as its looking like Planetside but there are no weapons to buy (Defiance might be cosmetic micro-transactions that give no real bonus outside leveling speed, every other game is P2W where the more cash = better gear through a straight up transaction)

I could be wrong though, as I haven't played a Trion game before, but its looking a little like Planetside which I got bored of after 2 months and only spending $25 (the max amount I would spend as I knew what I was getting into and thought I might get bored after 3 months...was faster then I expected).

Spaisekraft
03-23-2013, 01:56 AM
Its free to play.

Why?

Yeah, its free to play. You buy vehicles, clothing, and a set percentange bonus to EGO/Exp/ect for a duration (basicly gives you a small buff to level your EGO faster). When in game, hit escape, lower left corner with the circle the EGO and a dial pops up, bottom is "Defiance Store" for money to script packs. Just like the other free to plays. So your $60 USD is basicly buying a pack of script, not the actual game itself....as its looking like Planetside but there are no weapons to buy (Defiance might be cosmetic micro-transactions that give no real bonus outside leveling speed, every other game is P2W where the more cash = better gear through a straight up transaction)

I could be wrong though, as I haven't played a Trion game before, but its looking a little like Planetside which I got bored of after 2 months and only spending $25 (the max amount I would spend as I knew what I was getting into and thought I might get bored after 3 months...was faster then I expected).

Your $60 is buying you a game with hundreds of hours of content. None of the cash shop stuff is necessary to get tons of play time out of this game.

Dead_Phoenix
03-23-2013, 01:56 AM

its fair enough that you feel tht way (and for the record thank you for sounding civil and not mouthing off :) )

out of interest, not that you have to explain your feelings, but why so? (im a nosey sod) and im sure it can help the devs if they get an idea about peoples reasoning?

dont have to answer if you dont want to :) or can send me a pm.

Rastaban
03-23-2013, 02:14 AM
Well I know why I know why I'm a bit iffy on paying a full 60 bigguns for this game, beta or no. (You're nosey, I'm opinionated. :P)

I'm very loot oriented. I like playing with gear, deciding which is better, finding better stuff and wiggling my fingers with delight as I equip it. And despite the other wonderful aspects of this game, that is where it falls flat on its face. If you don't count slotting perks or modding weapons, you get.... next to nothing in way of progress. A tiny bit of health each level and some small boosts to a weapon type if you've REALLY specialized in it. (meaning you'll probably be using one sub-type of that weapon, which will be the only thing you use the entire game)

In one night, from 1-150, I've found various types of shield, various types of grenade, I've dabbled with them. Once I stop dabbling I'll settle on a single set of equipment I'll be using from now... until doomsday. And that does not thrill me.

In Borderlands, the pattern from which this game has clearly cut its loot and equipment system, you always had a plethora of choices. You'd find a gun that just clicked for you, and you played the crap out of that gun. And just when that gun started to get boring, you'd find an even better gun, maybe of a completely different type! It kept the loot fresh and enjoyable.

In this game all you're going to do is find a higher level version of the same gun you have now, mod it up a bit more than your last one and use that until it's time to do it all over again. It seems to offer freedom at first... but not really.

Spaisekraft
03-23-2013, 02:22 AM
Well I know why I know why I'm a bit iffy on paying a full 60 bigguns for this game, beta or no. (You're nosey, I'm opinionated. :P)

I'm very loot oriented. I like playing with gear, deciding which is better, finding better stuff and wiggling my fingers with delight as I equip it. And despite the other wonderful aspects of this game, that is where it falls flat on its face. If you don't count slotting perks or modding weapons, you get.... next to nothing in way of progress. A tiny bit of health each level and some small boosts to a weapon type if you've REALLY specialized in it. (meaning you'll probably be using one sub-type of that weapon, which will be the only thing you use the entire game)

In one night, from 1-150, I've found various types of shield, various types of grenade, I've dabbled with them. Once I stop dabbling I'll settle on a single set of equipment I'll be using from now... until doomsday. And that does not thrill me.

In Borderlands, the pattern from which this game has clearly cut its loot and equipment system, you always had a plethora of choices. You'd find a gun that just clicked for you, and you played the crap out of that gun. And just when that gun started to get boring, you'd find an even better gun, maybe of a completely different type! It kept the loot fresh and enjoyable.

In this game all you're going to do is find a higher level version of the same gun you have now, mod it up a bit more than your last one and use that until it's time to do it all over again. It seems to offer freedom at first... but not really.

I think the guns are a bit more varied than they appear in their stat description. I picked up a LMG with the same damage as my starter weapon and only a little bit faster fire rate and smaller bloom but it had an electricity symbol (but fired black goo?) and it does a LOT more damage it seems.

And having two weapons keeps the game from getting stale I think. My secondary is a rocket launcher that explodes and sends out like 5 grenades. I've got a perk that on an explosive kill I reload 30% of my current clip. So it allows me to spam rockets and as long as something dies I can keep spamming without reloading. There's all sorts of cool combinations like that you can make.

Dead_Phoenix
03-23-2013, 02:23 AM
so would it be fair to almost think of you as the kind of standard true blue MMO'er?

fair enough. we all have areas of games that mean something.

One thing i will say, is youve seen nothing yet. the ego progression isnt a leveling system. but it does means you get more toys. you will have moe access to more types of guns, although not technically more powerful, will be better at specific situations.

as ego ranks increase, it opens up new areas, new missions, new styles of weapons, new vehicles.

would that sound a bit more interesting?

Paladin
03-23-2013, 02:25 AM
so would it be fair to almost think of you as the kind of standard true blue MMO'er?

fair enough. we all have areas of games that mean something.

One thing i will say, is youve seen nothing yet. the ego progression isnt a leveling system. but it does means you get more toys. you will have moe access to more types of guns, although not technically more powerful, will be better at specific situations.

as ego ranks increase, it opens up new areas, new missions, new styles of weapons, new vehicles.

would that sound a bit more interesting?

I have been noticing every 10 rating adds about 20 damage to a grenade at that respective level.
Ex: rating 50 grenade does 1000/ rating 150 grenade of same variant does 1100 damage. That's enough progression for me to buy the game:D

Dead_Phoenix
03-23-2013, 02:27 AM
I think the guns are a bit more varied than they appear in their stat description. I picked up a LMG with the same damage as my starter weapon and only a little bit faster fire rate and smaller bloom but it had an electricity symbol (but fired black goo?) and it does a LOT more damage it seems.

And having two weapons keeps the game from getting stale I think. My secondary is a rocket launcher that explodes and sends out like 5 grenades. I've got a perk that on an explosive kill I reload 30% of my current clip. So it allows me to spam rockets and as long as something dies I can keep spamming without reloading. There's all sorts of cool combinations like that you can make.

this is what i mean, ego 150 will have access to x y z guns, 1,000 will have some minor stat increasements, but gun X will denonate on impact rather then a timed delay, gun y may have splash damge , extra mod slots, and gun z may fire all rounds symaltaneously.

so altho not technically much more powerful (they will but not alot) will be far better in specific situations, and can make all the difference

Chikaria
03-23-2013, 02:32 AM
I think the game is the money worth.

I like the graphics, the music, & the fact that it's in a big and free world with other players is really nice.
It's different from others. ^_^

♥ Like!

TwwiX
03-23-2013, 02:48 AM
Nope. This is an obvious and sloppy PC port. The cumbersome user interface and auto aim are a dead giveaway. I expected better you, Trion. You're supposed to be a PC developer after all.

Rastaban
03-23-2013, 03:04 AM
I like the graphics, the music, & the fact that it's in a big and free world with other players is really nice.
It's different from others. ^_^
Guild wars 2. Rift.

And isn't whether the game has shown me everything it has to offer, it's whether it's shown me enough to warrant 60 dollars. Always a serious matter. Sure, there may be more guns coming out. We'll see.

I'm satisfied with the effort Trion has put into its PC release. It's less buggy than some games I've seen at this stage.

ryu4000
03-23-2013, 03:12 AM
I don't see what the problem with it i enjoy it very much just brought DD version off GMG for 70.

TheNeoReaper
03-23-2013, 03:13 AM
Its free to play.

Why?

I could be wrong though, as I haven't played a Trion game before, but its looking a little like Planetside which I got bored of after 2 months and only spending $25 (the max amount I would spend as I knew what I was getting into and thought I might get bored after 3 months...was faster then I expected). Since when is $60 & free the same?

r3dl4nce
03-23-2013, 03:19 AM
Already pre-ordered for 37 thanks to a 25 discount voucher on greenmangaming.
I bought last Tomb Raider (single player) for 25, finished the game in 12 hours.
Defiance will last me at least ten times more than Tomb Raider. So why that should not be worth the price? I did not payed it ten times

iBoba Fett
03-23-2013, 03:23 AM
EDIT: currently, my fav mmo/online games are League of Legends and Path of Exile, i'm still looking for something new to change to, unfortunately this is not the one.

Neither of those are an MMO. >_>

xxSHEPERDxx
03-23-2013, 03:35 AM
^^ That

On topic:
I think what people aren't understanding, and isn't fully explained, is the actual mod aspect of the game. Higher rated guns tyically have more capabilities for mod slots, though what gun can be modded is a mystery to me, since it looks like some guns have up to four empty mod slots while a few others have none but suddenly have a feature in the salvage matrix to add a mod slot. Why some guns can have slots added and others can't, I just can't figure out. The actual mods though can make a decent gun into a monsterkiller. First mod I managed to try out was a clip upgrade on my 100ego LMG, which now has 98 rounds (from 75). Added faster reload time to that and i'm destroying everything with overcharge and letting the DPS flow.

I also absolutely HATED Borderlands and it's emphasis on Loot Loot Loot. The disgusting nerf guns with horrible horrible accuracty, and a dated FPS system that wasn't even modern enough to allow players to increase accuracy when crouching was just a horrible experience - of course both BL games have zero soul and cardboard cutouts for characters didn't help either.

As a TPS, Defiance isn't cutting edge, but it's more modernized and handles well. That's more than you can ask for these days. I'm not liking the autolocking quickscope thing though -- i'm on the PS3 and currently when you tap the aim button it autocenters (like in the Call of Duty series) on an enemy, only it's autocentering on their heads. I'm able to destroy enemies with rapid auto-lock tap shots with every weapon save for SMGs (recoil too high) and shotguns (poor tracking). 1000+ dmg magnum pistols basically turn it into the "boom, headshot" button.

Based on the limits within the current PS3 beta, it's enough for me to want to buy the game. If i'm estimating what I currently played (all the available missions) at being worth around 35-40$, the full game will go well over that mark. If the TV series survives long enough to produce additional DLC for the game to work off of, then it's all good. Doesn't seem like the game is going to need much input from the show to stand on its own legs as-is, though the game's scriptwork could use more polish, and it's characters could use more character building moments. It's a big open world, but it isn't a heavily immersive world - which may simply be as the explanations surrounding the world and lore are yet to be revealed with the series itself. (Did notice the episode mission with the 2 show characters in the intro to the game are not available, but were explained on the Defiance wiki)

Just peeved mostly that I found out about this game so late. Can't preorder the deluxo super ultra mega edition as I splurged on non essential crap beforehand.

Send a few dozen cases of Red Bull/Monster/etc to the marketing department. Want everybody to know about this thing.

Dakaa
03-23-2013, 03:47 AM
it doesn't matter, i play whatever, i'm talking about competitive online games in general. this game just doesnt cut it.

Drkhao
03-23-2013, 03:54 AM
it doesn't matter, i play whatever, i'm talking about competitive online games in general. this game just doesnt cut it.

No.. it actually does matter. For what it is, I would gladly pay 60usd on day one. If it decreases it decreases. Path of Exile was a nightmare in beta and in alpha... League of Legends has some of the WORST patch changes. Even tho you can't compare the actual genre of games. . . Again, you are playing a beta. Relax. If you want to wait for it then wait for it, no one is forcing you to buy anything. Just get some facts straight at least! It's new and different!

Rastaban
03-23-2013, 03:55 AM
Well at first weapons don't even have the capability of getting mods. Then when they do, they only get one slot out of the 4 unlocked for use. At 150, I get these guns pretty consistently. I suppose as time goes on you'll be able to get guns with 2, 3 and all 4 of these slots available for use. I suppose that's where synergy bonuses from mods come in. And you discovered the LMG, the most OP weapon in the game and the only one you really want to use. :3

I like loot, sifting through it and finding the good stuff while discarding the chaff. But more specifically I liked having a loadout that made me feel unique. These nickle and dimeing mods and 3% perks really don't do that enough for my taste. As for cardboard cut-outs, I'd take a smilin' Jack over any of these flat-faced buffoons. Orange-face who's tagging along with me... why? And albino-Cortana in her hoodie, informing me of the same things over and over again like a bionic Navi making me want to rip out my brain stem.

There has to be a draw. I'm drawn for now, but I'm not seeing what the future holds through the haze of Beta. I like this game, I like TPSs as a concept. I hope it works out.... for my sake, if I give in and lay down sixty.

xxSHEPERDxx
03-23-2013, 04:06 AM
You are blaming the game for your misconception of it being primarily a competitive shooter. It's not advertised as such anywhere - the adverts focus on coop primarily and only briefly mention shadow war. They may have more planned for PVP, but right now they need to finish the main elements of the game and ensure all the bugs are worked out of cutscenes/events and so forth. PVP is secondary and can be expanded upon later. In the meantime it's your choice to limit your gameplay experience to competitive gaming, you can't blame the game for that.

Sonic Rain Boom
03-23-2013, 04:35 AM
Hi everyone,

We have closed this thread and would like to take a moment to explain why. We do welcome all feedback, even when it is negative or critical, but we do ask that it is respectful and constructive, please.

If anyone has questions or concerns about this thread closure, please feel free to contact us at community@defiance.com.

Thank you!