PDA

View Full Version : The Future of Defiance and Xbox One

Killersnake
05-21-2013, 05:54 PM
It appears that our fears have come true and the new Xbox One will not be backwards compatible with Xbox 360 games. See link below (bottom of the article). So what does this mean for Defiance? With the vast majority of my friends looking at the new gen console later this year or early 2014, does this make our time on Defiance a fruitless endevor with no future beyond the new gen console's release? Does Trion have a plan for this eventuality?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upgrade-your-life/new-xbox--what%E2%80%99s-better--what%E2%80%99s-missing-222140028.html?vp=1

"Will play Xbox 360 games?--Sadly it won’t. Microsoft spokespeople have confirmed that the Xbox One will not be backwards compatible with Xbox 360 games. There is a possibility of emulators or cloud-based versions of previous games."

Chemikz
05-21-2013, 06:22 PM
Well I personally find it silly to buy a new generation console on day one anyway, so I'll be sticking to my 360 until the new generation actually becomes a new generation and not just old-gen games on a next-gen console. The ps3 and 360 both just ran old-gen games with an HD texture update until stuff like Bioshock/Gears of War came out.

MagellanD
05-21-2013, 06:22 PM
It appears that our fears have come true and the new Xbox One will not be backwards compatible with Xbox 360 games. See link below (bottom of the article). So what does this mean for Defiance? With the vast majority of my friends looking at the new gen console later this year or early 2014, does this make our time on Defiance a fruitless endevor with no future beyond the new gen console's release? Does Trion have a plan for this eventuality?

http://news.yahoo.com/blogs/upgrade-your-life/new-xbox--what%E2%80%99s-better--what%E2%80%99s-missing-222140028.html?vp=1

"Will play Xbox 360 games?--Sadly it won’t. Microsoft spokespeople have confirmed that the Xbox One will not be backwards compatible with Xbox 360 games. There is a possibility of emulators or cloud-based versions of previous games."

The game is doomed Xbox one or not.

Night Hawke
05-21-2013, 06:39 PM

however defiance does have an edge with a x86 client already made that just needs some tweaking to work on the new platforms. Both Sony and MS went to the PC CPU architecture (x86/x64). I wouldn't be surprised if they could get a port out pretty quick.

Schwa
05-21-2013, 07:22 PM
Xbox one doesn't exist. Today's conference was awful.

Myst
05-21-2013, 07:25 PM

What Mr. Suave has stated.

Good thing I was at work.

loops73
05-21-2013, 07:29 PM
I think this game will be barley populated by the time xbox one comes out. I for one will abandon the 360 the day xbox one comes out.

4ndreas
05-21-2013, 07:33 PM
The game should never have been multi platform if they wanted to make it good from the start.

bigdirty
05-21-2013, 07:35 PM
The game should never have been multi platform of they wanted to make it good from the start.

You sound like you'd be great at bankrupting a gaming company,

4ndreas
05-21-2013, 07:40 PM

Find me proof that the majority of players who bought this for a console would not have bought it for the PC.

mbergeron
05-21-2013, 07:43 PM
Find me proof that the majority of players who bought this for a console would not have bought it for the PC.

I am one. Don't play any game on pc.

Buruko
05-21-2013, 08:00 PM
The game is not dead, MS said they still plan to support and produce games for the 360. The Xbox One is a gaming platform wrapped in a home media center offering. Microsoft is thinking of the bigger picture beyond just the gamer in the room but the TV watcher, the movie fan, the streaming media nut, etc.

Hardware wise it's competitive next gen for gaming but also poised to open up other avenues to put MS hardware in the living room.

That being said, I can't imagine that Trion wouldn't port to Xbox One, it can't be that different especially from a server/client perspective. Even if they don't earlier adopters probably will not be the majority of Defiance players/fans they'll be the 'gotta have it now' people, the 'give it to me this second' people... oh wait...

loops73
05-21-2013, 08:04 PM
The new consoles open the doors for many more console mmos.Defiance will be remembered as the first one to kind of do it right.

DaMaJaDiZ
05-21-2013, 08:09 PM
The new consoles open the doors for many more console mmos.Defiance will be remembered as the first one to kind of do it right.

By "kind of do it right", do you mean fumble along and provide an example of what not to do?

I kind of wish that people would stop referring to Defiance as the first to ever do this. Even more so that it's constantly referenced as a measurement of success.

o ASYLUM o
05-21-2013, 08:25 PM
I really don't see what the big deal is. Why wouldn't you just hold on to your 360 or PS3 after buying one of the next gens.

Oh yeah I forgot, Common sense is a rarity these does.

KOLZ
05-21-2013, 08:52 PM

Ah more complaints from schwa..Who would of imagined. ;)

Miserere
05-21-2013, 08:58 PM
Glorified coffee pot warmer was my first thought. Maybe it will get better once we see more game play but I'm going to stay reserved.

DejaVooDoo
05-21-2013, 09:05 PM
yeah, the internet as we know it is going to end this fall/winter. Microsoft will end xbox live the moment xbox one comes out. all of the games being released this year will be totally unplayable within months. it will become a physical impossibility to own both an xbox 360 and an xbox one. Any household simultaneously connecting an xbox 360 and an xbox one to the interwebs will suddenly cease to be. worlds will collide.

Sameera
05-21-2013, 09:19 PM

What exactly is Defiance the first to do?

It's far from the first MMO on a console, I believe that was EQ. It isn't the first multi-platform MMO, pretty sure that was EQ also. It doesn't allow people on different platforms to play on the same server, but that was done over a decade ago by FFXI (PC, PS2/3, Xbox 360) and that actually works well. Isn't the first multi region console MMO. Isn't the first shooter type MMO on console.

Hmmm, you know about the only thing that I can think of that is new is the dealing with the TV show. Even that has yet to produce anything worth writing home about, and isn't an idea that was first proposed for this game. I recall a number of years back Stargate was looking at a similar idea as a possibility between the shows and the MMO that was being made and i'm not sure that was even the first time it was thought of seriously.

Fact is Defiance hasn't really done much of anything new and certainly hasn't done most of what it does do as well as other games have done. That being said Defiance is fun. I like it because it is a fairly simple, strait forward jump on and kill stuff. The learning curve is tiny with this game and despite the bugs and what not, Defiance works pretty well. When all I want to do is jump into a game and have fun without having to over think or plan an event this does that rather well. When I want that more in depth experience that takes time and mental energy I have another MMO to turn to.

I'll keep playing Defiance until something better comes along, guessing it will be Destiny if this sticks around that long. I will keep watching the show (though not because of the game, I like scifi TV/Movies). I just don't plan to give this game more credit than it really deserves. It is fun, that is enough for me but it hasn't really done a lot of "firsts".

Wow, that went on a bit longer than planned, sorry folks.

o ASYLUM o
05-21-2013, 09:27 PM
Didn't FFXI bomb.

WhiteCell
05-21-2013, 09:30 PM

I disagree completely. I've been waiting since 2006 for new console hardware so my PC hardware can finally be used efficiently. Today was a great day for PC gamers and anyone that wants to get beyond 2005 technology in gaming.

Take note Trion. Where are those custom PC settings in Defiance?

Schwa
05-21-2013, 09:32 PM
Didn't FFXI bomb.

Square's said it's their most successful Final Fantasy to date.

Epyon
05-21-2013, 09:33 PM
I am one. Don't play any game on pc.
Same here. /10char

shadowkin
05-21-2013, 09:35 PM
If they really don't allow backward compatibility they will shiot themselves in the foot. It will piss off so many people. I dunno why gaming companies are some of the greediest in america (no joke ea got worst company in america over other malicious companies).

It is greed bc they wanna push for digital sales and bc they don't get money on used games. That is crazy wow. i only pkay pc so it doesn't even affect me and i am mad lol

shadowkin
05-21-2013, 09:37 PM
I disagree completely. I've been waiting since 2006 for new console hardware so my PC hardware can finally be used efficiently. Today was a great day for PC gamers and anyone that wants to get beyond 2005 technology in gaming.

Take note Trion. Where are those custom PC settings in Defiance?

Can u explain to me what happened or what u guys are talking about

Schwa
05-21-2013, 09:38 PM

How a glorified cable box (WITH A CAMERA OMIGAWD) is going to revolutionize console gaming.

Myst
05-21-2013, 09:42 PM
Didn't FFXI bomb.

FFXIV did, FFXI was a hit.

WhiteCell
05-21-2013, 09:42 PM

Console gaming since 2005 has been a bane on any multiplatform game released on the PC offering shoddy technology use, ignoring more efficient available technology, and really no progression in game design. Defiance is a great example of the multiplatform curse on the PC with a directx 9 client, no real PC options, and possibly the worst console designed UI to ever grace the PC. All of that in a MMO on the PC equated to death of arrival when the PC version had the opportunity to be vastly superior.

The announcement of the next generation of console technology means in a couple of months developers will finally start using technology that's been available on the PC for years. A year from this next hardware cycle PC gamers are going to be wishing for yet another console cycle because they'll have more capabilities and technology that will go unused largely.

It's a depressing cycle of gaming today. Whereas pre 2005 most game developers actually put in the time and effort to use the strengths of the platform.

Kaoslion
05-21-2013, 09:46 PM
Square's said it's their most successful Final Fantasy to date.

Yeah it was, That company made tons of money with the subscription for years off of people.

Armitage
05-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Dorsett Case ‏@Defiance_Case 17m

Dear Micro$haft: Not impressed. Sony has blackjack. And hookers. Might also have a console, I didn't check.

^ Pretty much my 2 script.

Jackobite
05-21-2013, 10:01 PM
Not as excited as I first was about the news, its just steam in a box.
If they had done an always on connection it would have sealed it for me and id have walked away from Xbox but they went for the just as greedy approach with a mandatory online install, tho I believe you will be able to play offline.

No prices, but unless new game prices are reduced at least to a lvl in line with pc games I cant see me playing the xbox one.

My Defiance game for xbox is an example, its bought by a friend of mine who didnt like it and gave it to me, this wont happen on the xbox one, an install fee must be paid (tho they again wont say how much) to play a used copy.
Unless they take a hit in the price of a new game and a low fee for used games Im prob not going to get the new xbox one.
Probably...

Schwa
05-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Not as excited as I first was about the news, its just steam in a box.
If they had done an always on connection it would have sealed it for me and id have walked away from Xbox but they went for the just as greedy approach with a mandatory online install, tho I believe you will be able to play offline.

No prices, but unless new game prices are reduced at least to a lvl in line with pc games I cant see me playing the xbox one.

My Defiance game for xbox is an example, its bought by a friend of mine who didnt like it and gave it to me, this wont happen on the xbox one, an install fee must be paid (tho they again wont say how much) to play a used copy.
Unless they take a hit in the price of a new game and a low fee for used games Im prob not going to get the new xbox one.
Probably...

Steam in a box... without Steam. Woo.

Going to take a Steam bath after the announcement today. Sure I'll find some crazy indie crap to wash off all the dirty.

Sameera
05-21-2013, 10:07 PM
Didn't FFXI bomb.

Nope, FFXI was always a success. Even today they continue to have something like a half a million active subs. I spent a few years playing it, had a good bit of fun and the cross platform stuff really did work well. When you were in a group you couldn't tell what system someone was playing on, it just worked.

FFXIV started out pretty rough so SE decided to remake it. The version one of the game was improved a great deal after the new director took over the project to keep the game going while they spent a couple years rebuilding it pretty much from scratch. It is in beta right now and by all accounts is turning out much better than the first go around. I know in quite a few circles it is generating a good deal of interest again, surprising given how quickly many people like to move on to the new and shiny.

Actually one of my hopes for Defiance is that given a few months they can improve this game enough to be the kind of thing a person would want to play full time. I still may not make it my primary game but I would have higher hopes for its longevity.

As to the new consoles, I doubt either will hurt this game much. Those who would quit this game for the new games on them will have long since left this game anyway. The new consoles in no way prevent you from playing Defiance on a system you already have. Both of the new consoles are x86 based, and from the talk shouldn't be difficult to port to. There for given that this game has a PC client it shouldn't be difficult to port it for either new console in fairly short order if that is Trion's desire.

New consoles in 6 or 7 months will not kill this game, even if they do manage massive adoption rates. Just as Trion is not powerless to put this game on those consoles if they feel it needs to be there. There is no need for anyone to run around screaming about the sky falling this early on especially given the other issues this game faces.

shadowkin
05-21-2013, 10:23 PM
Ahh i see i thought u and schwa were referencing something specific like already dated tech going into nextbox

cusman
05-21-2013, 10:29 PM

I felt it was pretty interesting pitch for a new remote controller to watch video content. Unfortunately, I am not willing to spend the upfront costs plus the subscription costs for a fancy new TV remove control.

For me unless they show many exclusive games... and really compelling exclusive games, I don't see myself plopping down for another xbox.

The announcement they made was nice, but 8 new IPs might just be 6-7 new Kinect whatever games... so it means nothing until we know what they are.

4ndreas
05-22-2013, 03:19 AM

So two people in here, yeah I'm sure that would bankrupt them.

Saravind
05-22-2013, 03:26 AM

i play it on console even though i could play it on my pc.... but you know a actual working controller setup with no need for a keyboard is nice sometimes

Anatol
05-22-2013, 03:30 AM
who cares about consoles or console players. this game will survive on PC sooner or later. playing FPS or TPS on consoles is like licking icecream through a glass, or walking with sunglasses during a night.

Myria
05-22-2013, 03:43 AM
[...] or walking with sunglasses during a night.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2LTL8KgKv8

One of the PS3's main selling points was that it was, at the time, a relatively cheap Bluray player.

Both current-gen consoles have a metric arse ton of video and audio apps for just about every service known to humanity.

Both current-gen consoles have their own store and system for selling you video and audio content.

But, hey, they showed someone watching TV through the Xbox One! Fail! No one watches TV using a console! No one!

Ummm, except for all those people that do.

The gaming herd goes "Moooo", as usual.

Mowazzy
05-22-2013, 03:51 AM
Didn't FFXI bomb.

You're thinking FF14, FFXI was / is an international hit that is still pumping out content today, 12 years after NA launch

AMY2ZH
05-22-2013, 03:58 AM
i play it on console even though i could play it on my pc.... but you know a actual working controller setup with no need for a keyboard is nice sometimes

plz help me http://www.melidownload.com/img/www.melidownload.com_.jpg (http://www.melidownload.com/category/game-download/)

Althulas
05-22-2013, 04:31 AM

I have a very high spec PC and sure the graphics would blow the 360 out of the water. I had reservations about buying it on this platform but I bought the 360 version so I could play with one of my Xbox mates. To be honest I think the developers have done a good job implementing a MMOG on the 360. Defiance does not bring anything new to gaming and the content from the T.V show is loosely integrated but most important thing of all about Defiance is I'm finding it fun to play as a game and its not to bad on the Xbox platform.

I just hope the developers will be able to do something of patch or a 'subbed' Xbox One version for 360 owners and character transfer if it's true that 360 games will not work on the One.

MstrJedi_Kyle
05-22-2013, 04:35 AM
I know one thing. The press conference ensured that I'm sticking with my 360 for as long as possible, then a jump to the PS4 ship. Unless MS brings its A game at E3 (and lets be honest, it never does) I won't be purchasing an Xbox One any time soon. I don't watch TV, don't have cable, hell I don't even get the free local channels. I have no use for a $500 dollar hands free TV remote.

fmarin83
05-22-2013, 05:43 AM
I was at GameStop at work reading the live blog and the OP is completlely making his own assumptions. They didn't state anything in 100%! All they did was show the system and say this is what were gonna but into it with big shiny words. The bottom line is money, and as i still sell PS2, PSP, and DS games i realize that their not gonna do it.

Also the PS3 guy was there and basically these companies give their console 10 years of support, well at least Sony does so the game will continue to get support and i wouldnt be suprised if the game comes out again for next gen consoles at a reduced price for an upgrade if you have already purchased it.

This is what Nintendo is doing, and basically what Microsoft is biting.

bigdirty
05-22-2013, 05:48 AM
I'm not an Xbox gamer, but I'd say do NOT buy any new system whether Xbox One or PS4 until a couple months after in case there are release issues. And look, those consoles aren't coming out until the end of the year and still the 360/Ps3 will be supported well into this time next year to play Defiance on. At the very least the season 2 crossover content will be available on 360/PS3.

Also, it's conceivable Defiance could get up to 5+ seasons depending how popular the show gets and how long they've planned the story for(some shows end on their own terms obviously). I'm sure they have Next-Gen ideas on how to continue the story and game experience.

Anderson
05-22-2013, 05:50 AM
It appears that our fears have come true and the new Xbox One will not be backwards compatible with Xbox 360 games

We have some pretty lame fears.

MstrJedi_Kyle
05-22-2013, 06:42 AM
We have some pretty lame fears.

I wasn't afraid of it not being backwards compatible. I was afraid they wouldn't focus on gaming. There would be too much focus on Kinect, TV, and exclusive TV deals no gamer cares about. That they would find a way to prevent used sells or some how punish people for it. Exactly what happened too.

Shawnyn Ravar
05-22-2013, 06:53 AM
There will be about a 6 month window from XB1's launch date until the 360's servers are shut down. Think back to when the XBOX 360 came out. It was about 3 months then before the XBOX servers where cut off and you had to play either LAN or switch to the 360. Same here just a few months more.

Also, very soon, the 360 will launch a pseudo XB1 dashboard. This is to prepare you for the transition to the XB1. It won't have all the functionality of course, but will look much like and in some cases behave like the XB1 dashboard.

So prepare yourselves folks, roughly 11 months from now all 360 games will only be LAN if you want to game with others (beyond multiple people on one console).

Still PLENTY of time though to have fun in Defiance.

-SR

MstrJedi_Kyle
05-22-2013, 06:56 AM
There will be about a 6 month window from XB1's launch date until the 360's servers are shut down. Think back to when the XBOX 360 came out. It was about 3 months then before the XBOX servers where cut off and you had to play either LAN or switch to the 360. Same here just a few months more.

Also, very soon, the 360 will launch a pseudo XB1 dashboard. This is to prepare you for the transition to the XB1. It won't have all the functionality of course, but will look much like and in some cases behave like the XB1 dashboard.

So prepare yourselves folks, roughly 11 months from now all 360 games will only be LAN if you want to game with others (beyond multiple people on one console).

-SR

The xbox servers weren't shut down until like April 2010

Chemikz
05-22-2013, 06:59 AM
All this hate for the X1 because they didn't show off many games when E3 is a few weeks away. Impatience seems to be a virtue on these forums.

I loved the X1's unique selling points. Guess what though guys, BOTH consoles will play games! You heard it here first! They were showing off their unique selling points that differentiates them from one another. PS4's sharing/online stuff and X1's entertainment and kinect features.

mbergeron
05-22-2013, 07:02 AM
I wasn't afraid of it not being backwards compatible. I was afraid they wouldn't focus on gaming. There would be too much focus on Kinect, TV, and exclusive TV deals no gamer cares about. That they would find a way to prevent used sells or some how punish people for it. Exactly what happened too.

I believe they are still focusing heavily on the gaming aspect, but with these other things getting a more detailed focus it creates a wider consumer base since people can simply have an xbox for their entertainment in their homes instead of a cable box, stereo, and any other device hat can now be ran by one system. Wouldn't be surprised if sony goes the same way, but I doubt that the gaming will be any better that xbox one.

N3gativeCr33p
05-22-2013, 07:06 AM
I'll wait and see what's revealed at this year's E3 before I go shoveling dirt on the graves of any console (or game, for that matter).

Elric1
05-22-2013, 07:07 AM
But Xbox One is a doorstop because it requires you to log into the internet once every 24 hours or your locked out of even your single player games. So regardless I won't be getting one. The economy is too wacky right now. if anyone loses their job or what not they can't even play the system and games they bought? Screw Microsoft.

On that note? The game will likely be 'upgraded' if it becomes successful enough to the next gen console. All the doom sayers can whine but the recent new patch coming out tomorrow is saying Trion is trying hard as hell to fix this game and I think there is two very specific reasons for that.

1. Sci Fi does have an investment in the game also due to a lot of us watch the show B ECAUSE of the game. Who knows how many of us will remain if the game goes poof!

2. I think the reason Rift is going to FTP is BECAUSE of Defiance. Defiance sells suck but lo and behold all these people buying so much stuff from our store it could seem ratio wise it is making TONS more money then Rift!

THAT is why I think all the firing occurred. THAT is why all these patches are hitting us now and seem to NOT be nothing but broken messes of code.

Odd as it sounds we might actually be a success despite Trion's lack of a successful launch.

Indra Echo
05-22-2013, 07:09 AM
Well I personally find it silly to buy a new generation console on day one anyway, so I'll be sticking to my 360 until the new generation actually becomes a new generation and not just old-gen games on a next-gen console. The ps3 and 360 both just ran old-gen games with an HD texture update until stuff like Bioshock/Gears of War came out.

You will be out of luck. Upon the release day of xbox One, your 360 will cease to operate. Seriously, game devs were still making PS2 games well into the life of the PS3 and devs will have to catch up and learn about the new consoles. Amazon had a listing for the PS4 and for PS4 games-with pre-release listings. The games will be $99.99. So, I won't be an early adopter of either console. It's one thing to be a beta tester of all released games, but I won't be a beta tester for a new console with new games that cost that much just to start. Makes me wonder what DLC will cost-probably $25 to start.

Elric1
05-22-2013, 07:10 AM
I believe they are still focusing heavily on the gaming aspect, but with these other things getting a more detailed focus it creates a wider consumer base since people can simply have an xbox for their entertainment in their homes instead of a cable box, stereo, and any other device hat can now be ran by one system. Wouldn't be surprised if sony goes the same way, but I doubt that the gaming will be any better that xbox one.

I am going for Sony only because they don't require me to be online once every 24 hours or my machine becomes a door stop. The economy is too despondent to think none of us would have to very least tighten our belts from time to time if not outright be laid off from a job.

Today's market anything is possible sadly.

"You will be out of luck. Upon the release day of xbox One, your 360 will cease to operate." sadly that is not true and I have no idea why a ps fanboi is spreading such. it will eventually not when One is out. Microsoft already spoke of that also.

LtRobbiesan
05-22-2013, 07:10 AM
I really don't see what the big deal is. Why wouldn't you just hold on to your 360 or PS3 after buying one of the next gens.

Oh yeah I forgot, Common sense is a rarity these does.

LOL have to agree with you.

After watching the reveal yesterday I am intrigued by the Xbox One. One of the main things is the instant on and switching between apps (assuming SSD is used). Being able to watch my tv through it is also cool, and use my tablet in conjunction. Overall much improved specs. The graphics..wow. I will likely buy one, and keep my 360 around. That's the nice thing about being an older person who can afford to buy stuff. I don't need to convince my parents... :)

Chemikz
05-22-2013, 07:12 AM
Why people are bothered about having to log into the internet once every 24 hours on the X1 puzzles me to no end...

I've constantly been logged into xbox live on my xbox360 for what... Five years now. What's once every 24 hours?

As for keeping the old console around once I get a next-gen, I don't have the luxury of that. My girlfriend has already claimed my 360 the moment I showed an interest in the PS4/X1... :'(

mbergeron
05-22-2013, 07:13 AM
I am going for Sony only because they don't require me to be online once every 24 hours or my machine becomes a door stop. The economy is too despondent to think none of us would have to very least tighten our belts from time to time if not outright be laid off from a job.

Today's market anything is possible sadly.

Where did you read that? I have read nothing saying you have to log in. The only thing that will always be on is the kinect sensor because it waits until a specific command is given. If the xbox is always connected to something it is probably because it can also be a cable box.

Indra Echo
05-22-2013, 07:14 AM
But Xbox One is a doorstop because it requires you to log into the internet once every 24 hours or your locked out of even your single player games. So regardless I won't be getting one. The economy is too wacky right now. if anyone loses their job or what not they can't even play the system and games they bought? Screw Microsoft.

snipped

I had not seen this. This is ridiculous. Electronic Arts has been trying to implement something like this and in fact at one point people playing Mass Effect 3 when EA had server problems could not play their DLC because the game kept trying to verify the DLC with the server. If I don't want to be online, or if I can't be online (what about if I have modem trouble and just want to play the game offline), I should not be forced to follow such a crappy policy. Especially not since MS has had some notable server problems-one just recently that made people very angry. In retrospect, I think some of the angry comments about it were related to the idea of the Xbox One being constantly connected to the internet.

N3gativeCr33p
05-22-2013, 07:14 AM
I've constantly been logged into xbox live on my xbox360 for what... Five years now. What's once every 24 hours?

Exactly the same thing I always think to myself when this is discussed.

Anderson
05-22-2013, 07:16 AM
and use my tablet in conjunction.

You can already do that on a 360. Get the SmartGlass app. Now granted, I don't think there is necessarily a lot of support for it this gen. I wouldn't know though since I don't own a tablet :(

Indra Echo
05-22-2013, 07:16 AM
Why people are bothered about having to log into the internet once every 24 hours on the X1 puzzles me to no end...

As for keeping the old console around once I get a next-gen, I don't have the luxury of that. My girlfriend has already claimed my 360 the moment I showed an interest in the PS4/X1... :'(

If the servers go down or if your internet connection has problems (and recently MS's servers did go down for more than a day and connection problems do happen) then your single player games cannot be played.

duction
05-22-2013, 07:17 AM
Lol when I turn the xbox on I don't turn the router on too. It's always on.. People really are stupid and this really shows with the statement of being turned off of the xbox because of the online check.. Seriously...

mbergeron
05-22-2013, 07:19 AM
If the servers go down or if your internet connection has problems (and recently MS's servers did go down for more than a day and connection problems do happen) then your single player games cannot be played.

Not necessarily, they have said that you can play single player games and movies without an internet connection. The only thing that people are getting upset with is the fact that they may have to log in once everyday.

ImmortalKindr3d
05-22-2013, 07:19 AM
All this hate for the X1 because they didn't show off many games when E3 is a few weeks away. Impatience seems to be a virtue on these forums.

I loved the X1's unique selling points. Guess what though guys, BOTH consoles will play games! You heard it here first! They were showing off their unique selling points that differentiates them from one another. PS4's sharing/online stuff and X1's entertainment and kinect features.

Unfortunately it's not just on these forums. Shareholders are disappointed in the unveiling as well, Microsoft experience about an 11% drop in stocks, and Sony's went up around 9%

Unless their E3 show is spectacular, I can see Xbox One being the PS3 of the next Gen consoles.

Indra Echo
05-22-2013, 07:21 AM
Where did you read that? I have read nothing saying you have to log in. The only thing that will always be on is the kinect sensor because it waits until a specific command is given. If the xbox is always connected to something it is probably because it can also be a cable box.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-doesnt-require-internet-connection

This article does indicate there is some dispute about the claim, but read one of the comments below. It seems that some games will need constant access to the cloud because some sort of content will always be cloud-side, even for single player games. The statement the commenter makes is this:

"There was an intervew on KFAN last night with editors of Game Informer and a long time MS employee. He said that MS is dodging the question, but that the issue is cloud services. Some games will be using cloud to do real-time processing in games, even single player games. IE: maybe the game will have the water effects or AI processed by the cloud so the system hardware can focus on gfx. This decision will ultimately be up to the developers. XBO will be able to play games offline, but the devs will also need to pruposely avoid using cloud services for their games to placate a small market of non-internet having customers."

Chemikz
05-22-2013, 07:22 AM

Then surely all they'd have to do is allow users to carry on playing if they have issues at their end. I'm 10000% sure they won't lock you out of your £400 console because their servers dc. Also, if you watched the press release, they did say they had over 300,000 servers now. It's unlikely all of them will go down. Once every 24 hours too.. That's a slim chance of you not being to grab a proper sign in before they go off, if they actually did.

All in all I think it's a silly gripe to have. One of the worst infact. There's much more worrying things about the X1, like how they haven't released anything regarding their GPU or the used game fee's.

Lone Star
05-22-2013, 07:22 AM

First off, doesnt apply to a mmo, Im sure contracts are set for such an occasion, secondly... the new xbox is utter crud.. id stick with the 360 if I were you man... less you want to remain online 24/7 paying not just your internet company but xbox to remain there so you can play any of your games...Not to mention they dont recognize used games either... all new and thats it. Ya sounds like a huge legal scam to me.

ironhands
05-22-2013, 07:23 AM
the new Xbox One will not be backwards compatible with Xbox 360 games.

The term "backwards compatible" is potentially a bit misleading. What is means, is that you cannot play a current Xbox 360 game in the new Xbox. This doesn't necessarily mean that it isn't compatible at the hardware level. The architecture likely extremely different for the current version, and it may be relatively easy to port from one to the other. The lack of "backwards compatibility" may also only be coded into the firmware to detect older software and say "nope, not playing it".

It wouldn't make sense for them to completely re-structure the mid to high-level code, as current development studios shouldn't have to start from scratch and re-learn the new development architecture, but rather, simply learn the changes, and adapt current code to fit the new model.

Certainly, the low-level code is different, but depending on the engine being used, and the complexity of the code, it may be as simple as just including the new/updated dependencies upon compilation, or, if the compatibility does actually exist, simply changing the copyright protection method and/or file that says "hey i'm a 360 game" to the newer method could also work.

Indra Echo
05-22-2013, 07:27 AM
Not necessarily, they have said that you can play single player games and movies without an internet connection. The only thing that people are getting upset with is the fact that they may have to log in once everyday.

Not so, apparently this will be up to devs in part, as to whether they make use of the cloud for some of the ingame processes. And EA for one is a company that likely would make use of that type of feature since they already did try this or have it happen inadvertantly for Mass Effect 3, and they tried in the past to make it necessary for other games, but then rescinded the feature. And IIRC something similar happened with Diablo 3. Devs like the idea of forcing people to consistently prove they have a legitimate copy of the game and one that is not borrowed, hence the online code many games are now requiring-even some devs (EA) are requiring players use that code just to play the single player game if they ever want to access content they can purchase (DLC, skins, weapons). If the feature is made possible, there are devs that will use it and then hide behind the notion that it is MS's policy or some other false reason.

mbergeron
05-22-2013, 07:28 AM
http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/05/21/xbox-one-doesnt-require-internet-connection

This article does indicate there is some dispute about the claim, but read one of the comments below. It seems that some games will need constant access to the cloud because some sort of content will always be cloud-side, even for single player games. The statement the commenter makes is this:

"There was an intervew on KFAN last night with editors of Game Informer and a long time MS employee. He said that MS is dodging the question, but that the issue is cloud services. Some games will be using cloud to do real-time processing in games, even single player games. IE: maybe the game will have the water effects or AI processed by the cloud so the system hardware can focus on gfx. This decision will ultimately be up to the developers. XBO will be able to play games offline, but the devs will also need to pruposely avoid using cloud services for their games to placate a small market of non-internet having customers."

That was one random comment not made in the actual article. The article has several people stating that it will not require an always connected internet to experience the system. Now if you can find the interview that the person posted about in the comments and make sure that it wasn't taken out of some area where other information would support or go against what was said by the comment.

zzzkinzzz
05-22-2013, 07:28 AM

Most people like my self don't have or want a PC with the spec to play this game, that's why we have Xbox/ps3

Actright
05-22-2013, 07:34 AM
however defiance does have an edge with a x86 client already made that just needs some tweaking to work on the new platforms. Both Sony and MS went to the PC CPU architecture (x86/x64). I wouldn't be surprised if they could get a port out pretty quick.

The Defiance Dev Team is a joke, come on they couldn't even get a map they created to work, and already stated they are pushing back DLC

this game was dead the moment it was announced the only thing it was suppose to do was give Gamers something else to do during the summer. Think about it all of the Good Games have either never mentioned a release date or push the date back toward holiday season. Its because they aren't idiots they new Next gen was coming and want to be able to utilize the new hardware to create a better game

The only reason defiance got so many sales was because there wasn't anything else. Glad to hear a lot of the Defiance team got fired, about time people making sh$T games get held accountable

Indra Echo
05-22-2013, 07:40 AM
Then surely all they'd have to do is allow users to carry on playing if they have issues at their end. I'm 10000% sure they won't lock you out of your £400 console because their servers dc. Also, if you watched the press release, they did say they had over 300,000 servers now. It's unlikely all of them will go down. Once every 24 hours too.. That's a slim chance of you not being to grab a proper sign in before they go off, if they actually did.

All in all I think it's a silly gripe to have. One of the worst infact. There's much more worrying things about the X1, like how they haven't released anything regarding their GPU or the used game fee's.

Do you have any idea how many servers MS has in place with the 360 and it went down recently. And as I said, EA did nothing when their servers went down and players could not play their purchased DLC (and for some it was the game itself) for Mass Effect 3. EA remained silent about the whole thing.

It is not a silly gripe but it is something to watch and make sure does not happen. MS has a history of attempting to do certain things that people really don't want them to do. Sometimes they wait until things calm down and then they grandfather them in. Much of this has happened in the application software (MSOffice for one)-a number of years ago people complained when MS announced Office would become a year to year licensed product, so they dropped the idea. Well, the new version is a licensed product that you have to re-up the license for or it will stop working.

Look at the events that have taken place over this issue. MS announced that the xbox one was going to have an always on live connection. People reacted-this was part of what people got angry over when the servers had problems recently. They have since started to re-frame the whole idea of always on and now say it's not always on. Well, where in the world do you think that idea of always on live connection came from? It's what they want the thing to be eventually. So, for now it's phrased as a once a day online connection check that you think doesn't even mean that.

For the record, I recently had a modem problem. Since my modem is something provided by my internet provider, I had to wait for a new one. Now, I can entertain myself with other stuff, but the idea that I might not be able to play a single player game just because I can't access the internet as required does make me not so interested in the xbox one. And I don't trust that this won't be changed into a requirement of the always on system. That's how MS and some devs work. And the idea of always on is also likely a way for MS to earn money-advertising. If they make it completely optional that likely will impact pay for ads. Just take a look at the Home screen of the 360 as compared to the PS3-it's already all about the ads.

Barrik
05-22-2013, 07:41 AM
That was one random comment not made in the actual article. The article has several people stating that it will not require an always connected internet to experience the system. Now if you can find the interview that the person posted about in the comments and make sure that it wasn't taken out of some area where other information would support or go against what was said by the comment.

I can't prove it of course but I live in Minneapolis, mn. and I heard the KFAN (twin cities radio station) interview last night and heard exactly that. So it was stated, but can't prove it.

Actright
05-22-2013, 07:45 AM
Most people like my self don't have or want a PC with the spec to play this game, that's why we have Xbox/ps3

Proof! its common sense the amount on content in this so called mmo "defiance" is like a sheet of paper compared to a library in other PC mmo's. They limited the game on the PC so that it matched the xbox. Just think there is no professions, there is basic skills that looked like they were made for 4 year olds, majority of quest are turning off/on generators, The driving is like Mario Cart on N64, There is only a few weapons in the games they just give you the same effect but with didn't name, character customization is a complete Joke (example: Google APB:reloaded its a 3rd person shooter MMO for the PC it has one of the greatest character customization every made and that is free to play and has tons and tons of more content), and this is a big one there is no End Game content. You can defend this game all you want, still doesn't change how bad it is, just inquiry why they fired over half of the Defiance Team in the last couple of weeks

IGears
05-22-2013, 07:52 AM

the PC Requirements for this game is pretty low compared to other current games so it not really that. But to get the most out of the game, then the PC is the better choice.

I hope Trion has a plan on future developments of Defiance on next gen. console, but the layoffs really don't show much hope for that.

The Xbox one reveal was nothing more than Microsoft showing the system, its specs, and its features. it can play games (i hope) but can also do so much more (Cable Box). I like the features, but what is the price for it all? I know both systems are not backwards compatible and are trying to eliminate used games by requiring installs. But really, E3 will tell us more about each system than yesterday's shtako and the PlayStation event ever will.

Indra Echo
05-22-2013, 07:54 AM
The Defiance Dev Team is a joke, come on they couldn't even get a map they created to work, and already stated they are pushing back DLC

this game was dead the moment it was announced the only thing it was suppose to do was give Gamers something else to do during the summer. Think about it all of the Good Games have either never mentioned a release date or push the date back toward holiday season. Its because they aren't idiots they new Next gen was coming and want to be able to utilize the new hardware to create a better game

The only reason defiance got so many sales was because there wasn't anything else. Glad to hear a lot of the Defiance team got fired, about time people making sh$T games get held accountable

So are you also pulling for people to be fired at Treyarch for making a bull crap game that sold millions of copies-in a franchise that should be able to avoid the same mistakes they continually make? Defiance is a different type of game that naturally was going to have problems when it went live, but BO2 should never have had the problems it had, some of the same problems that have existed since the first console CoD came out and more.

No, a lot of devs are not waiting for the new consoles to come out in order to make games for them. Activision always releases CoD games at just about the exact time for every release. Any dev that is waiting for the new consoles is an idiot because while there may be some decent sales, there's no guarantee and they know that a large portion of players will still be playing on the current gen consoles for some time to come. Also, new consoles are always in short supply when first released so banking on any one game selling as well for a newly released console as for a current gen one is fiscally irresponsible. What a lot of devs may well do is release a version for the current consoles, see what happens with the new consoles as they are learning to program for them and begin developing the same or new titles for the new consoles.

What often happens is that new franchise games are part of a new console's release.

List those good games you are talking about. I want some of your prophetic vision because no one has any idea if a game is good until it's released and played. Very few franchise games have been all that good recently and every single game I have played in the last few years has had its share of problems that are very similar to the issues Defiance has had, some worse.

Those good games you may be referring to are also by devs who should stop making crap games and who really should be held accountable because they keep making the same crap with the same problems over and over and over again.

By contrast, Trion has made what, Rift and Defiance. Rift on the PC which has gotten some acclaim and Defiance, a type of game not done before for consoles. So, of course they are constantly making "sh$T games". Do you even have a positive thought or constructive one anywhere within you? It's pretty sick to ever be happy when people lose their jobs (outside of them actually hurting people).

Gravitationalism
05-22-2013, 08:00 AM

This is me giving you a hug.
/hug

Iceberg
05-22-2013, 08:06 AM
By "kind of do it right", do you mean fumble along and provide an example of what not to do?

I kind of wish that people would stop referring to Defiance as the first to ever do this. Even more so that it's constantly referenced as a measurement of success.

Hahaha, I will have to agree with this. Also, when Destiny comes out no one is going to remember defiance.

baelrusk
05-22-2013, 08:09 AM
Personally I miss game consoles designed specifically around......playing games.
Those extra points are nice and all. But they're gonna amp up the cost some.
I still remember the issues with the first run PS2's. The lasers were weak. When you played a DVD it would overhead the laser to play it. They fixed it later......but it really hit the life of the hardware for those first run models.
That's why those old cartridge consoles did their jobs well.

I really don't see Defiance porting over to the X1. There would still be nuances to tweak. They already have 3 consoles to worry about it working for. Besides.......a popular release of the next gen consoles is still far away. After they hit the market people won't get rid of what they currently have. It will slowly dwindle just like how the PS1 switched to PS2 then to PS3.

Crap.....most people will even wait a few months after release before they consider buying it.......even more so for current 360 owners.

Chemikz
05-22-2013, 08:09 AM
the PC Requirements for this game is pretty low compared to other current games so it not really that. But to get the most out of the game, then the PC is the better choice.

I hope Trion has a plan on future developments of Defiance on next gen. console, but the layoffs really don't show much hope for that.

The Xbox one reveal was nothing more than Microsoft showing the system, its specs, and its features. it can play games (i hope) but can also do so much more (Cable Box). I like the features, but what is the price for it all? I know both systems are not backwards compatible and are trying to eliminate used games by requiring installs. But really, E3 will tell us more about each system than yesterday's shtako and the PlayStation event ever will.

Not true. Compared to other MMO's the requirements are quite high. They're higher than Guild Wars 2 for example, and World of Warcraft, and Planetside 2. It's why I chose to buy it on Xbox360, and why it's sold more on 360 than PC.

Chemikz
05-22-2013, 08:11 AM
Hahaha, I will have to agree with this. Also, when Destiny comes out no one is going to remember defiance.

Why? Destiny isn't an MMO. I won't personally forget about Defiance. I already own over one xbox game :p

Chilmeister
05-22-2013, 08:32 AM
All id really like to see is, if we buy a version of defiance for the said X1 that we can still log into our already up and running acounts. I mean surly its just like buying a new graphics card for your pc. You still play the same WOW but it looks even better?

jasper murtagh
05-22-2013, 08:51 AM
Exactly the same thing I always think to myself when this is discussed. And I went from Friday to monday without logging onto my xbox. Now if it has to make a daily check and it shuts down if can't connect; I not getting it. My internet connection get spotty when the cable company does maintenance it the city.
Also my parents could watch all their cable tv thru their vcr. They just had to remember which channel to turn the tv to before turning on the vcr. So XB1 has the same function as 2005 vcr.

armedpoop
05-22-2013, 08:59 AM
Why? Destiny isn't an MMO. I won't personally forget about Defiance. I already own over one xbox game :p

Destiny will basically be an MMO

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Destiny_%28video_game%29

Facade
05-22-2013, 09:05 AM
Not true. Compared to other MMO's the requirements are quite high. They're higher than Guild Wars 2 for example, and World of Warcraft, and Planetside 2. It's why I chose to buy it on Xbox360, and why it's sold more on 360 than PC.

I thought it sold more on PC.

I swear people were making a big deal about this long ago when referring to how the patching system works.

gamingreal
05-22-2013, 09:12 AM

me i don't pc game, i have a average laptop that doesn't like games all that much and no comfortable setup, personally i think it worth sacrificing a bit of graphical fidelity for the comfort of the sofa and low machine cost (compared to gaming pcs).

N3gativeCr33p
05-22-2013, 09:28 AM
Also, when Destiny comes out no one is going to remember defiance.

Geez, if I received a dime everytime that I heard a proclamation like this, I wouldn't have to work anymore.

"When ____ comes out no one is going to remember ____." <eye roll>

dlCHIEF58
05-22-2013, 09:36 AM

-SR

You are WAY off on all accounts. EA has said they will continue to support the 360 until at least 2017 and Microsoft has confirmed they will support the 360 for many years. With the high install base they have right now they would be foolish to not. They also have a BIG 360 announcement coming up at E3 which they would not be doing if they were going to suddenly pull the plug as you are trying to implicate.

The Live service for the original Xbox was not cut until 4.5 years into the 360's life cycle, not 3 months you idjit. They even left the Halo 2 servers up for about an additional month since people were still actively playing it, then gave the last guy playing it some kind of bonus/award for his dedication. The lack of BC in the current system is further proof they plan on supporting the 360 for quite a few more years as initial uptake on the One will probably be slow, especially if some of the still lingering rumors that Microsoft danced around or ignored come to be true.

Ichidakiller
05-22-2013, 10:20 AM
With the vs of the xbox1, the operating system (basicly a modified copy of windows 8) the architecture of the system itself. It wouldn't take much to port the PC version of defiance to the Xbox one (which is a dumb and for the system imo)

Which is the only smart thing that PS and Xbox have done with this new Gen. Make their systems more PC like so porting of apps, games and anything else will be simple the only problem I see is them with this route is the marketplace for both systems becoming like the apple app store. Few bucks for everything. They are going to try to Nicole and dime every one of us to death more then they currently do.

Here is the reason why. Production cost. Game company's now days if they make a multiplatform game have to have a Xbox team, ps team and PC team.... 3teams for one game.... You just tripled production costs. By making the systems more PC like the lowered production costs means they can give you more game for your money. Now if they choose to do so that's another matter. Means less companies going out of business, which for the gaming industry is a good thing. Your more likely to see gaming companies take a chance on a game that is new a refreshing. Compared with this current hey play it safe give them same of old to make sure it sells.

This will be beneficial to the gaming industry as a whole by making these games easier to make.

bleh
05-22-2013, 11:56 AM
Geez, if I received a dime everytime that I heard a proclamation like this, I wouldn't have to work anymore.

"When ____ comes out no one is going to remember ____." <eye roll>

Except this (being a Bungie planned shooter/MMO) PLUS the release of a next gen console would have netted you about 20 cents and only happens once every about what...8 years?

Taken on its own, I wouldn't proclaim Destiny the greatest but add in the PS4 or Xbox One.....