PDA

View Full Version : Why is there censorship on a forum about an M rated game?

Umbra Warrior
05-22-2013, 08:25 AM
I don't get it. The characters in the game can say "f**k" and "s**t", but I can't? What kind of logic is that? I'm okay with censoring hate speech, but "f**k", "s**t" and "d**k"? Seriously?

Schmiznurf
05-22-2013, 08:26 AM
People under 18 can not purchase the game, they can access a forum.

ironhands
05-22-2013, 08:27 AM
I don't get it. The characters in the game can say "f**k" and "s**t", but I can't? What kind of logic is that? I'm okay with censoring hate speech, but "f**k", "s**t" and "d**k"? Seriously?

Because the primary use of the censored words would likely be targeted at people as an attack, whereas in the game they are not.

Chilmeister
05-22-2013, 08:27 AM
In case someone says BUM its rude yah know :)

baelrusk
05-22-2013, 08:29 AM
Plus it's common in most forums to help keep out the trolls who go there and just flood it with those words for no reason at all (for those people who have never seen it happen.......it has).

Umbra Warrior
05-22-2013, 08:30 AM

I'm sorry, but explain to me how it's okay for someone to play a game with that language in it, but not use it and read it on a forum?

FlippyCake
05-22-2013, 08:33 AM
Just substitute the normal words with words from the show/game.
They get away with it on SyFy.

S**t = Shtako
F**k = Jek
A*s = Ganchis

etc etc etc. :)

Zabuza
05-22-2013, 08:36 AM
A*s = Ganchis

I thought Ganchis were testicles

Plus it's common in most forums to help keep out the trolls who go there and just flood it with those words for no reason at all (for those people who have never seen it happen.......it has).

There are many other words besides swearing to insult somebody.

Umbra Warrior
05-22-2013, 08:37 AM
Because the primary use of the censored words would likely be targeted at people as an attack, whereas in the game they are not.

You can still insult someone without cuss words. For instance: I can call someone a "fart-sucking simpleton" and the censors don't pick it up. There's the Code of Conduct to stop people from attacking one another. Plus, cussing is used also for emphasis. Like, "I'm the Juggernaut, *****!"

Just substitute the normal words with words from the show/game.
They get away with it on SyFy.

S**t = Shtako
F**k = Jek
A*s = Ganchis

etc etc etc. :)

Having to censor yourself on an online forum about an M rated game is ludicrous.

baelrusk
05-22-2013, 08:39 AM
I'm sorry, but explain to me how it's okay for someone to play a game with that language in it, but not use it and read it on a forum?

Because legally they aren't responsible for an underage kid buying it and being subject to it there.
The forum though, isn't limited to just those who own the game. It's completely public and open.

The last thing they probably need is bad PR from parents rights groups.

Umbra Warrior
05-22-2013, 08:41 AM
Because legally they aren't responsible for an underage kid buying it and being subject to it there.
The forum though, isn't limited to just those who own the game. It's completely public and open.

Age Gate on sign-up. Any other ideas?

ironhands
05-22-2013, 08:42 AM
You can still insult someone without cuss words. For instance: I can call someone a "fart-sucking simpleton" and the censors don't pick it up. There's the Code of Conduct to stop people from attacking one another. Plus, cussing is used also for emphasis. Like, "I'm the Juggernaut, *****!"

Sure, but, it loses most of it's impact when you call someone a fuzzy sock sucker.

baelrusk
05-22-2013, 08:43 AM
Age Gate on sign-up. Any other ideas?

Unfortunately, you're really limited on what can be done on public forums.

Sure, but, it loses most of it's impact when you call someone a fuzzy sock sucker.

For some reason after that, I'm envisioning grade schoolers arguing in the play ground during recess.

Pyth
05-22-2013, 08:44 AM
Hey now, I resemble that remark.

Umbra Warrior
05-22-2013, 08:45 AM

Doesn't matter; you're still attacking someone and still breaking the rules, regardless if you tell them to "Eat a d**K" or "Eat a dong".

Zabuza
05-22-2013, 08:45 AM

How about grotesque phallus nuzzler?

Blondin
05-22-2013, 08:54 AM
The problem is for foreign language, like french, for example :
"too late" -->"trop tar.d"
"delay" --> "retar.d"

Which is plain stupid as the word "tar.d" is not an insult in french...

baelrusk
05-22-2013, 08:54 AM
Doesn't matter; you're still attacking someone and still breaking the rules, regardless if you tell them to "Eat a d**K" or "Eat a dong".

It has to do with accountability and responsibility. The forum comes back to them.
Since they can't control what people do.....
A COC is made telling people what is allowed on the forum.

But unfortunately that only helps to a degree.
If they flat out refuse anything like that......it causes turmoil. Rules do have grey areas.....parts where it can both be claimed to be within the rules, and outside the rules.

It also has some aspects of international differences.

3rdpig
05-22-2013, 08:56 AM
Lawyers

/10char

ironhands
05-22-2013, 08:59 AM

Yes, we all understand that, but really, why does it even matter? Do we really need to use foul language in a post?

Anderson
05-22-2013, 09:18 AM

Except as far as I know this has never happened, ever.

Anyway, I just curse all I ****ing want in this ****ing forum. What I'm saying is usually ****ing obvious from the ****ing context.

Umbra Warrior
05-22-2013, 09:20 AM
Yes, we all understand that, but really, why does it even matter? Do we really need to use foul language in a post?

If the game can, then yes, I think I deserve to be able to.

baelrusk
05-22-2013, 09:25 AM
Except as far as I know this has never happened, ever.

Here's an example for this...
As far as we know in town A nobody has ever mugged anyone. Does that mean there should be no rules regarding?

It's preventative measures. By taking measures within reasonable extent, they are controlling liability. Just because as far as you know it never happened, doesn't mean nobody will ever do it.

Tzar of kaos
05-22-2013, 09:27 AM

Maybe the same reason why people wrote off topic threads in the general discussion. ;)

IGears
05-22-2013, 09:28 AM
What would Samuel L. Jackson do?

ironhands
05-22-2013, 09:30 AM
If the game can, then yes, I think I deserve to be able to.

Yes, you're right. In the game I can also buy a Dodge Challenger after a few hours work. Trion, hook me up please.

Zabuza
"Eat a dong".

Hostess went bankrupt, no more dongs to eat.

http://freshchocodiles.com/images/hostess_ding_dongs_600w.jpg

ironhands
What would Samuel L. Jackson do?

He'd get these mother-loving snakes off of the monday to friday plane

Anderson
05-22-2013, 09:31 AM
Here's an example for this...
As far as we know in town A nobody has ever mugged anyone. Does that mean there should be no rules regarding?

It's preventative measures. By taking measures within reasonable extent, they are controlling liability. Just because as far as you know it never happened, doesn't mean nobody will ever do it.
But what would they be liable for? There is no FCC for the internet. They wouldn't be breaking any laws. People have been cursing for years all over the internet and there has been not even an inkling of public demand for an end to cursing on the internet.

It's silly.

Zabuza
05-22-2013, 09:35 AM

Lulz damn you beat me to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A

Merrin Nightbringer
05-22-2013, 09:35 AM
As I understand it, this has been Trion's policy from the beginning. The Rift forum also censors cuss words, regardless of game content. I think it's just their standing M.O.

That being said- In-game chat is an entirely different matter. We should be able to turn the censor off there- and we can't. THAT'S just skrugging stupid ;)

IGears
05-22-2013, 09:38 AM

Lulz damn you beat me to it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4t6zNZ-b0A

Rofl ... Did he just say "Monday to Friday plane"?

ironhands
05-22-2013, 09:39 AM
As I understand it, this has been Trion's policy from the beginning. The Rift forum also censors cuss words, regardless of game content. I think it's just their standing M.O.

That being said- In-game chat is an entirely different matter. We should be able to turn the censor off there- and we can't. THAT'S just skrugging stupid ;)

isn't it standard on most game forums hosted by the creator anyway? It's all about appearances. More people would be offended by the foul language on a forum, than would complain about not being able to, regardless of the content in the game where the uses are in context, and planned. They know everywhere a specific word is used in the game, but they can't in the forums, or in-game chat.

ironhands
05-22-2013, 09:40 AM
Rofl ... Did he just say "Monday to Friday plane"?

Yes he did, you slug in a ditch.

SteveMND
05-22-2013, 09:41 AM
Some days i wish there was a way to downvote an entire thread... :/

N3gativeCr33p
05-22-2013, 10:02 AM

This. ^

/10chars

jasper murtagh
05-22-2013, 10:37 AM
I'm sorry, but explain to me how it's okay for someone to play a game with that language in it, but not use it and read it on a forum? Their site, their money pays for the site, their rules. You could create your own.

Pace122004
05-22-2013, 10:42 AM

they can bombard our kids with side boob and cursing and shooting an alien in the head at point blank but if I say a bad word on this forum im penalized! come on trion!

ironhands
05-22-2013, 10:44 AM
if I say a bad word on this forum im penalized!

how are you penalized?

Shawnchapp
05-22-2013, 10:51 AM
People under 18 can not purchase the game

Please tell me you don't actually believe that?

baelrusk
05-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Please tell me you don't actually believe that?

Just because they managed to get one easily......doesn't mean they're technically meant to be allowed to.
It's like cigs in the US. Teens aren't allowed to, but they still get em anyway.

Draaconis
05-22-2013, 10:55 AM

Wow. 5 pages of crap and the second post already answered the question.

baelrusk
05-22-2013, 10:58 AM
Wow. 5 pages of crap and the second post already answered the question.

Yeah. People made a lot of back and forth debate over whether it be done or not. Along with why. Nevertheless the fact the debating doesn't matter.

Shawnchapp
05-22-2013, 11:01 AM
Just because they managed to get one easily......doesn't mean they're technically meant to be allowed to.

if his post said "People under 18 can not purchase the game legally" i wouldn't have mentioned it but the way he wrote it made it sound like only 18+ are playing this game whereas we all know thats not true because heaven forbid there actually be some age verification system other then the "Please check box if you're 18+"

baelrusk
05-22-2013, 11:10 AM
if his post said "People under 18 can not purchase the game legally" i wouldn't have mentioned it but the way he wrote it made it sound like only 18+ are playing this game whereas we all know thats not true because heaven forbid there actually be some age verification system other then the "Please check box if you're 18+"

Age verification systems will never work.
Unless they're connected to a giant database that has proven information on everyone and has measures to make sure you're not lying on anything. Then there's also....playing on a friend's account.

Shawnchapp
05-22-2013, 11:18 AM
Age verification systems will never work.
Unless they're connected to a giant database that has proven information on everyone and has measures to make sure you're not lying on anything. Then there's also....playing on a friend's account.

Thats true however they can be dealt with better then just check box if you're an adult.

ironhands
05-22-2013, 11:22 AM
Thats true however they can be dealt with better then just check box if you're an adult.

they don't care whether someone gets in or not, it's all about protecting their a**es

baelrusk
05-22-2013, 11:24 AM
they don't care whether someone gets in or not, it's all about protecting their a**es

Yup. End of story there.
Liability to a reasonable extent.

Mylo
05-22-2013, 11:25 AM
... but who cares either way?

FlippyCake
05-22-2013, 11:40 AM
I thought Ganchis were testicles

There are many other words besides swearing to insult somebody.

From the way it was used in the last cut scene by Varus (during one of the co-ops, can't remember which one, you start at the boat docks), it sounded more like referring to your "a*s". I could be wrong.

Shawnchapp
05-22-2013, 11:43 AM

Lol i know the forum censor doesn't bother me but the in-game censor makes no sense whatsoever their ***' are already covered by the M rating.

ironhands
05-22-2013, 11:51 AM
Lol i know the forum censor doesn't bother me but the in-game censor makes no sense whatsoever their ***' are already covered by the M rating.

it's one of the reasons they don't want swearing in the forums, it's usually directed at someone, where the content in the game is somewhat controlled and expected in cutscenes. wouldn't mind the option to change it, especially since there's no filter at all for voice.