PDA

View Full Version : Suggestion: Vehicle Passenger Preference

Thr0nes
05-22-2013, 01:03 PM
Simple Suggestion...
Add a Setting option to allow you to choose who is able to ride in your vehicle.

Vehicle Passenger Preference:
Group: Enable | Disable
Friends: Enable | Disable
Clan: Enable | Disable
Everyone: Enable | Disable

DSX
05-22-2013, 01:19 PM
Seems like a great idea, though it would require an interface change somehow, as well as a lot of behind the scenes changes to categorize everyone into those 4 groups in relationship to the player character.

dude26212
05-22-2013, 02:40 PM
wait can u just randomly jump into the passenger seat of someones car? cause ive been tryin lol

Mladenov
05-22-2013, 03:13 PM
In order to jump into someone's car,
you must be in his party!
Otherwise you can jump around his car all day long...
And this is stupid idea.
Because if you are enabled party members to jump,
clan members do not, and if you have friend and this friend is in your clan, what then?

Swampster
05-22-2013, 03:18 PM
And this is stupid idea.
Because if you are enabled party members to jump,
clan members do not, and if you have friend and this friend is in your clan, what then?

Pretty simple really, if more than one of the options applies to a given player then it defaults to a set behavior.. i.e Allow.

So
Bigusdikus is your friend and clan mate

Friends Are Allowed to Ride in your car
Clanmates are not

Bigusdikus by virtue of being in one of your allowed groups can ride in your car...

(apologies to Monty Python ;))

Mladenov
05-22-2013, 03:21 PM
Nope, i do not like the idea, sorry.

Swampster
05-22-2013, 03:55 PM
Nope, i do not like the idea, sorry.

Eh? why.. it's not like real life where you can be carjacked or someone's gonna hop in the passenger seat and tell you to 'follow that car...'

If you really don't like it then you could set everything to disallow except group members... and it'll be exactly as it is now.
I can't possibly see any legitimate objection to a system such as this, other than it taking up dev time to implement.

Mladenov
05-22-2013, 04:02 PM
I do not like the idea, because is lots of additional codding and work to implement this nonsense.

rReves
05-22-2013, 04:15 PM
I do not like the idea, because is lots of additional codding and work to implement this nonsense.

lol, made me laugh. Do agree there are more important things to focus dev efforts on though, both on bug&glitch fixing as well as developing new content.

Perhaps instead, we could get an option to operate a vehicles horn from the passengers seat? This would please me immensly.

Nerotic
05-22-2013, 04:23 PM
This might be fun... way down the road... many things to fix before we start asking for changes.

Altough asking for a change on how text chat 'works' is asking for a fix in my opnion.

Ashkore
05-22-2013, 06:13 PM
Eh? why.. it's not like real life where you can be carjacked or someone's gonna hop in the passenger seat and tell you to 'follow that car...'

If you really don't like it then you could set everything to disallow except group members... and it'll be exactly as it is now.
I can't possibly see any legitimate objection to a system such as this, other than it taking up dev time to implement.

There is NO REASON to change this just because you want it, as of right now they have to be in your group to get in your car. Having that setting would simply add more stuff to the game than we need and with more pressing concerns to deal with its not even that good of an idea.
Adding all the others will add alot more problems than you are apparently able to see being as which you said "I can't possibly see any legitimate objection to a system such as this", like if you allow friends but not clan members what if your friend is in both? What if you have clan members you dont like and others you do would you allow them in just to not exclude the others? As far as that goes you would have to add more for the Shadow War and PvP which is more useless stuff to have the game track whereas right now its just your group. Allowing just group members is like your unlocking the doors for them and noone else, which is fine.

Swampster
05-22-2013, 06:42 PM
There is NO REASON to change this just because you want it,

Firstly where did I SAY I actually wanted it?

as of right now they have to be in your group to get in your car. Having that setting would simply add more stuff to the game than we need and with more pressing concerns to deal with its not even that good of an idea.

Secondly did the OP say they wanted it right here right now, and that it should take precedence over everything else? And.. 'it's not that good of an idea' in YOUR OPINION, which is simply that... an opinion, no more valid than the OP's or mine for that matter.

Adding all the others will add alot more problems than you are apparently able to see being as which you said "I can't possibly see any legitimate objection to a system such as this", like if you allow friends but not clan members what if your friend is in both? What if you have clan members you dont like and others you do would you allow them in just to not exclude the others? As far as that goes you would have to add more for the Shadow War and PvP which is more useless stuff to have the game track whereas right now its just your group. Allowing just group members is like your unlocking the doors for them and noone else, which is fine.

Oh go on, please tell me you're a game developer and that's the reason you know it'd be SO difficult to achieve.. I've just never had the privilege of 'being told how it is (or isn't) by a random developer on an interweb gaming forum'.. really! :rolleyes:

Edit: But to address specifics... because I'm bored at the minute... :)

like if you allow friends but not clan members what if your friend is in both?

As I explained previously... in that case just based on my admittedly simplistic design, it would revert to allowing the friend, as if a player is allowed in any category that would become the default for that player.

What if you have clan members you dont like and others you do would you allow them in just to not exclude the others?

Again just on my simplistic design, You'd disallow clan members and add those you do like to your friends list, who would be allowed... not exactly rocket science!

And if you can't be bothered doing that because it's too much trouble for you... simple don't use it.

It's all moot anyway because it isn't going to happen... all but the most basic of changes to this game appears to be too difficult at present.

Thr0nes
05-22-2013, 06:53 PM
There is NO REASON to change this just because you want it, as of right now they have to be in your group to get in your car. Having that setting would simply add more stuff to the game than we need and with more pressing concerns to deal with its not even that good of an idea.

The What-ifs are all handled by permission hierarchy. If a player is part of a group that is "Disabled" it simply does not allow them in. If you want to nit pick clan members to ride along, then disable clan and add them to friends.

Really just thought it would be a good idea when I drove away from a clan member after an Arkfall. Was like, dang, I dont want to bother with making a group.

It may not be the most pressing change required right now, but a nice to have when/if they get the time. In the vast scheme of things, it seems relatively simple to implement.

Cutlass Jack
05-22-2013, 07:31 PM
You already have full control over who can get in your passenger seat just by grouping with them. Everyone already has their own vehicles anyway, so the only reason to drive someone around is to keep your group together.

Can't be bothered to make a group? Doesn't matter. Your clanmate has their own vehicle. On the list of things this game needs, this isn't one of them. Just makes something simple that works fine complicated for no real reason. It will introduce more problems than it solves.

Swampster
05-22-2013, 07:34 PM
You already have full control over who can get in your passenger seat just by grouping with them. Everyone already has their own vehicles anyway, so the only reason to drive someone around is to keep your group together.

Can't be bothered to make a group? Doesn't matter. Your clanmate has their own vehicle. On the list of things this game needs, this isn't one of them. Just makes something simple that works fine complicated for no real reason. It will introduce more problems than it solves.

Indeed, personally I'd just have it so anyone can hop in any car as a passenger... it's not like it actually matters, or that as a driver you actually know there is anybody sat there next to you. Would make getting the passenger pursuit done relatively easy should they get around to fixing the current dumb way of getting it...

Cutlass Jack
05-22-2013, 07:41 PM
Indeed, personally I'd just have it so anyone can hop in any car as a passenger... it's not like it actually matters, or that as a driver you actually know there is anybody sat there next to you. Would make getting the passenger pursuit done relatively easy should they get around to fixing the current dumb way of getting it...

Well It does matter for me at least. My passenger seat is reserved for my wife. She has the worst time driving in this game for whatever reason, so it makes it so much easier to group if I do all the driving. She makes up for it by being a much better sniper than I am.

But getting the Passenger Pursuit with her behind the wheel was possibly the scariest thing I've ever done in Defiance. :p

Swampster
05-22-2013, 07:51 PM
Well It does matter for me at least. My passenger seat is reserved for my wife. She has the worst time driving in this game for whatever reason, so it makes it so much easier to group if I do all the driving. She makes up for it by being a much better sniper than I am.

But getting the Passenger Pursuit with her behind the wheel was possibly the scariest thing I've ever done in Defiance. :p

Saying nothing about women drivers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wT7zM8XgXQ

OK, I know I'm gonna burn for that ;)

But it still doesn't really make much of a difference if you're already grouped because even if you drive off without her, aside from the earache.. she can still port to you :o

Myst
05-22-2013, 07:52 PM
Saying nothing about women drivers....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4wT7zM8XgXQ

OK, I know I'm gonna burn for that ;)

But it still doesn't really make much of a difference if you're already grouped because even if you drive off without her, aside from the earache.. she can still port to you :o

Good thing I wasn't in that video.

/somehow gets a car stuck in a tree in real life/

Sunvab--

shadowkin
05-22-2013, 08:14 PM

I agree there really shouldn't be objection when u can have it off lol

shadowkin
05-22-2013, 08:17 PM
This game is kinda boring, and getting in a random person's car and being their guardian angel for no reason would be entertaining lol.

Game is a niche game for me tho. been saying that since prerelease