PDA

View Full Version : Whats with all the Leroy's lately?

crasher
05-22-2013, 02:57 PM
I get left for dead a lot.

Several times today, in fact, by Leroy's who come storming in guns blazing and 'nades flying to a situation I had in hand.

They blow up ALL the chrysalis at once, and jet out on their scoots, leaving me with a mob 3 times bigger than I was planning on while trying to finesse my way through.

I couldn't find a quiet mob to finish today without the dopes storming thru.
I just walked away from the ones I didn't die in.

If they're not doing that, they drive through a quiet sniper situation, and bolt.

I spent more time walking away from places I had stalked than actually playing the game and enjoying myself.

And then I got guys luring mobs onto me and driving away while I'm trying to clean out my inventory at Bug/Chug so I can go on another run. Or luring them onto me while I'm sniping DM.

WTF, I'm just not seeing the point of logging in to be f**ked with by Leroy's.

I'm going to go read a book.
I'm trying to figure out why this is more fun than playing an offline FPS.

Iceberg
05-22-2013, 03:26 PM
The only suggestion I can make is go to tool works to clear your inventory, I doubt anyone can get mobs up there to get ya. As for the other things, this is sorta the nature of people who want stuff now, they need a contract/pursuit done quick and they don't care who they screw over to do it.

Tri
05-22-2013, 03:53 PM
You should be grateful for the player interaction!

You know how much script I'd give for players to even acknowledge we are playing the same game? I mean, it is like walking as the last man on earth through a desolate wastelands.. alone... and suddenly, somebody runs up and punches you!!!

You know what you call them? "Friend". :)

Natjur
05-22-2013, 04:27 PM
I use a 'tank' build for farming events and just charge in guns blazing, kill all mobs with maxed L20 Saw LMG and move to the next event. I don't trigger the extra mobs and then move on leaving the mobs there like some do to just 'tag' the event, but I do charge like a mad man in, kill all and spawn the car and burn off to the next.

Having 2 L20 Saw LMG with syphon does mean never having to stop for anything, (swap weapon instead of reload with preparedness perk)

Once they 'fix' the taggers, so they do not get exp unless they stay and complete the event, your problem should stop.

crasher
05-22-2013, 04:34 PM
I use a 'tank' build for farming events and just charge in guns blazing, kill all mobs with maxed L20 Saw LMG and move to the next event. I don't trigger the extra mobs and then move on leaving the mobs there like some do to just 'tag' the event, but I do charge like a mad man in, kill all and spawn the car and burn off to the next.

Having 2 L20 Saw LMG with syphon does mean never having to stop for anything, (swap weapon instead of reload with preparedness perk)

Once they 'fix' the taggers, so they do not get exp unless they stay and complete the event, your problem should stop.

Looking forward to that last part.

I go to Head First with a BMG and an Immu, and swap back and forth with preparedness.

I consider it a failed mission if I have to break a 'walking' pace while I'm hosing the mobs, and taking out the archers..

Exactly the same with the 'Smell the Sweaty Sox Pheremone' missions, too.

I prefer the calm to the hectic while I herd them up.
Give that one a try, It's a trip.
:D
Every once/while I've got to do a roll manuver when my feet get tangled in something, but that's it.

Biznatchio
05-22-2013, 04:44 PM
Dewd seriously do not take Leroy Jenkins name in vain. What you describe is not a Leroy move and those who pull it are boot scrapings off Leroy's boot.

Leroy was and always will be epic in spirit and his context. :P

DSX
05-22-2013, 05:17 PM
Other games. That's all I can say when idiots are making it a poor experience. Just exit out, play something else, come back another time. Unless you're doing a scheduled event with friends or the timer for a pursuit is drawing to a close, everything can be put on hold.

I can usually rely on a round of counter strike or Dota 2 to put my head in a happy place. Or other single player games of your choice (Mars War Logs is an amazing budget title in the same vein as the "witcher" if you're interested). Just as every forum has its trolls, there will always be twits whose play is inconsiderate of others.

crasher
05-22-2013, 05:22 PM
Dewd seriously do not take Leroy Jenkins name in vain. What you describe is not a Leroy move and those who pull it are boot scrapings off Leroy's boot.

Leroy was and always will be epic in spirit and his context. :P

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leeroy_Jenkins

Their plan is ruined when Leeroy returns and, ignorant of the strategy, immediately charges headlong into battle shouting his own name in a stylized battle cry. His companions rush to help, but Leeroy's actions ruin the meticulous plan, and all of the group members are killed.

DSX:
Been playing FPS's since Doom Beta back in the oldendays.
This is my first MMO/online, And I'm the only person I know who plays computer games, so, you know.... :)

I just come here and read all the combined wisdom of ya'll.

Whippersnapper
05-22-2013, 05:58 PM
Luring
I found 1 jerk this week at Bug N Chug purposely luring. He stopped after I threw the word "ban" around. Thank god. Usually they'll do it even more when you say that.

People will lure at Bug N Chug. I think they do it because NPCs help if within range. I accidentally lured while back-peddling from mobs.

As for people purposely screwing with you, we need a way to "mark" people, get their names while in vehicles, etc. For future reference, you understand. A no-rezz list if you will.

Biznatchio
05-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Aw com'on man I had the Leroy Title- can't believe everything wiki says... that group was in it for the ****s and giggles when their guild plan went south. - in reflection they still laugh at it to this day.

Leroy was was the standard battle cry of all of us when we got bored and rushed a mob to create monster trains back to the group.

hell I would use my hunter and the pet cat to aggro whole floors and bring them back to a group then feign death if they were a bunch of no humor dinks including our own guild mates. The whole guild would do it on raids if people were getting to serious.

Expecting a plan to be executed perfectly in an MMO is a bit much. Things usually go south with the first bored player character entering the area.

Embrace the chaos and surf the fun wave.

crasher
05-22-2013, 07:04 PM
Some people cut themselves with razorblades, too.
So?
There are many things I have little desire to embrace....
You, for instance...

:D

crasher
05-22-2013, 07:07 PM
Luring
I found 1 jerk this week at Bug N Chug purposely luring. He stopped after I threw the word "ban" around. Thank god. Usually they'll do it even more when you say that.

People will lure at Bug N Chug. I think they do it because NPCs help if within range. I accidentally lured while back-peddling from mobs.

As for people purposely screwing with you, we need a way to "mark" people, get their names while in vehicles, etc. For future reference, you understand. A no-rezz list if you will.

Yeah, 'Poisonrage' [clan Legendz] told me to 'cool yo t*i*t*s'.

I was shocked, shocked I tell you.

Biznatchio
05-22-2013, 07:15 PM
c'mere and give us a kiss - you are seriously in need of a hug.

Burgess
05-22-2013, 07:31 PM
I agree with Natjur! Rambo style, minus the Leeroy and Jenkins. Granted, if you want to stay in a strictly sniper role this may be difficult. I usually equip a secondary, faster fire weapon such as a SMG or a Shotgun for good measure when I snipe. Not a failed mission if you're still in one piece!

Dazz
05-22-2013, 08:48 PM
Barneys is what they are and they suck.

Arsenic_Touch
05-22-2013, 08:49 PM
Leeroy's are fine. I usually have no trouble with them. Barney's on the other hand need to be snuffed out of existence!

Natjur
05-22-2013, 09:08 PM
So in this game (trying to work out the naming)

Leeroy = player who charges in, does not give a dam and normally ends up getting killed and other killed

Tanking = same as the above, but does it properly, does not stuff up and no one dies (just the mobs)

Tagger = player who triggers everything, does one hit on all targets and then takes off for others to do the real work

Barney= Luring mobs to you so you do the work for them

Arsenic_Touch
05-22-2013, 09:32 PM
Barney= Luring mobs to you so you do the work for them

Noooooo

Barney's are purple players (non shadow war players show up purple on the map) during a shadow war that you can't shoot, but will end up being a nuisance or luring mobs to you to ruin your experience.

Orbital
05-22-2013, 09:40 PM
that is when you switch to your "be a man" loadout and just knock the stuff out real quick.

crasher
05-22-2013, 11:35 PM
Noooooo

Barney's are purple players (non shadow war players show up purple on the map) during a shadow war that you can't shoot, but will end up being a nuisance or luring mobs to you to ruin your experience.

Had a shadowwar battle end up in my Head First Crater the other day while I was snuffing mobs.

They kept trying to round up my spiders with scooters to lure to the opposing team.

Took me all kinds of time to put a stop to that nonsense.

G*T*F*O. You don't come into MY Crater and try to rustle MY spiders.

(For the reading impaired, 'G*T*F*O' can NOT be typed without the asterisks.)

xghostx
05-23-2013, 06:30 AM
You should be grateful for the player interaction!

You know how much script I'd give for players to even acknowledge we are playing the same game? I mean, it is like walking as the last man on earth through a desolate wastelands.. alone... and suddenly, somebody runs up and punches you!!!

You know what you call them? "Friend". :)

I LOL'd Reading this one, soooooooooooooo true.

RogueNineCH
05-23-2013, 07:09 AM
Noooooo

Sometimes I like to watch a Shadow War Does that qualify as being a Barney, or is it someone who runs right next to you and gives away your position?

Madhava
05-23-2013, 09:33 AM
Aw com'on man I had the Leroy Title- can't believe everything wiki says... that group was in it for the ****s and giggles when their guild plan went south. - in reflection they still laugh at it to this day.

Leroy was was the standard battle cry of all of us when we got bored and rushed a mob to create monster trains back to the group.

hell I would use my hunter and the pet cat to aggro whole floors and bring them back to a group then feign death if they were a bunch of no humor dinks including our own guild mates. The whole guild would do it on raids if people were getting to serious.

Expecting a plan to be executed perfectly in an MMO is a bit much. Things usually go south with the first bored player character entering the area.

Embrace the chaos and surf the fun wave.

In the first few week's of us trying to do kara I remember setting of my pet while raid leader was talking about maiden fight. Quick FD and watching everyone getting smacked 1 by 1. Good times :)

Arkamenitas
05-23-2013, 12:33 PM
In the first few week's of us trying to do kara I remember setting of my pet while raid leader was talking about maiden fight. Quick FD and watching everyone getting smacked 1 by 1. Good times :)

you think that's fun? playing hunter during the opera/theatre in kara. about half way through i turned and fired a half dozen shots into the mob audience. about 20 seconds later OH GOD WTF over vent

(i feigned once healers picked up threat)

Nikota
05-23-2013, 01:58 PM
Sometimes I like to watch a Shadow War Does that qualify as being a Barney, or is it someone who runs right next to you and gives away your position?

Did people appear to be shooting you? You were a barney... lol

Biznatchio
05-23-2013, 02:30 PM
when really bored we used to agro a whole room cast misdirect on our guild healers, then FD so we could watch the party wipe. - that was fun. Guild always got us back somehow.

Actually we would do it in raids too if we had poor healers. A lot of them never picked up why they were going down so fast we used to keep telling them it was because they were casting such awesome healing spells with such high heals they kept attracting aggro.

Kara was great for that and so was molten core back in the day.

RogueNineCH
05-23-2013, 03:43 PM
Did people appear to be shooting you? You were a barney... lol

Yeah but people shoot at me all the time anymore, not just when a shadow war is happening. Not sure why, I haven't even done PvP yet in this game.

Metaphysixx
05-23-2013, 04:38 PM
I keep names of Barneys. If the Leroy comes in, blazes and finishes the event, etc. Hats off and thank you. Snipering is fun, but it dont rule the gaming world, tanks do.
Barneys? They hold a slow burn in hades place for me. Unfortunately except for flaming them in voice of chat, which they probably have turned off, theres not much you can do in this game. If we could shoot the charger or whatever, and make them walk, that would be awesome.
My suggestion is there be a threshold of 15% kill rate to get credit for the little in game events. The big ones like arkfall are already geared toward contribution = reward.
That would stop the Barneys from getting credit. Some might still do it for the kicks of watching someone else get ganked, but you cant cure that ill.

RogueNineCH
05-23-2013, 05:36 PM
I keep names of Barneys. If the Leroy comes in, blazes and finishes the event, etc. Hats off and thank you. Snipering is fun, but it dont rule the gaming world, tanks do.
Barneys? They hold a slow burn in hades place for me. Unfortunately except for flaming them in voice of chat, which they probably have turned off, theres not much you can do in this game. If we could shoot the charger or whatever, and make them walk, that would be awesome.
My suggestion is there be a threshold of 15% kill rate to get credit for the little in game events. The big ones like arkfall are already geared toward contribution = reward.
That would stop the Barneys from getting credit. Some might still do it for the kicks of watching someone else get ganked, but you cant cure that ill.

So Barneys try to get credit without actually contributing, since I haven't played PvP that makes me a spectator. I also try to keep a good distance rom the fighting too, it's more fun to watch that way.

oog
05-27-2013, 04:01 AM
when really bored we used to agro a whole room cast misdirect on our guild healers, then FD so we could watch the party wipe. - that was fun. Guild always got us back somehow.

Actually we would do it in raids too if we had poor healers. A lot of them never picked up why they were going down so fast we used to keep telling them it was because they were casting such awesome healing spells with such high heals they kept attracting aggro.

Kara was great for that and so was molten core back in the day.

More fun was Alterac Valley in Van's bunker- all the calls "We need A tank to Van NOW" guess what - whoever was the first to yell it was the tank thanks to MD and feign Death :p

Biznatchio
05-27-2013, 11:18 AM
More fun was Alterac Valley in Van's bunker- all the calls "We need A tank to Van NOW" guess what - whoever was the first to yell it was the tank thanks to MD and feign Death :p

I loved atlerac valley - Bridge fights before the ally stronghold would go on for days before we broke though - it was epic.

Griefers in this game have a long way to go before cauing such mayhem.

Spann
05-28-2013, 12:15 PM

Several times today, in fact, by Leroy's who come storming in guns blazing and 'nades flying to a situation I had in hand.

They blow up ALL the chrysalis at once, and jet out on their scoots, leaving me with a mob 3 times bigger than I was planning on while trying to finesse my way through.

If they're not doing that, they drive through a quiet sniper situation, and bolt.

I spent more time walking away from places I had stalked than actually playing the game and enjoying myself.

And then I got guys luring mobs onto me and driving away while I'm trying to clean out my inventory at Bug/Chug so I can go on another run. Or luring them onto me while I'm sniping DM.

I think the term Leroy has been lost by so many. Not everyone is here to have a tea party after stopping to kill stuff.

Wtflag
05-28-2013, 05:30 PM
Strangely I myself have experienced few of those tag and run players. Most people who stop at my emergencies or is in the same coop mission tends to complete the full course.

In fact, just yesterday a member of the team in my coop mission (random pub) was looking for recorders and missed one along the way. He only told us about it in front of the boss room and both the other members were perfectly willing to wait 5-8 minutes while I personally lead him to his missed recorder. (The second one about mid way of the entire mission)

One suggestion I can give you is to use ground pounders against those hellbugs. The number of mobs chasing you does not matter then. In fact the more the merrier. Even monarchs drop in 3-4 reloads.

zzzornbringer
05-29-2013, 12:38 AM
for reference and nostalgia. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LkCNJRfSZBU

Spann
05-29-2013, 07:52 AM
Strangely I myself have experienced few of those tag and run players. Most people who stop at my emergencies or is in the same coop mission tends to complete the full course.

In fact, just yesterday a member of the team in my coop mission (random pub) was looking for recorders and missed one along the way. He only told us about it in front of the boss room and both the other members were perfectly willing to wait 5-8 minutes while I personally lead him to his missed recorder. (The second one about mid way of the entire mission)

One suggestion I can give you is to use ground pounders against those hellbugs. The number of mobs chasing you does not matter then. In fact the more the merrier. Even monarchs drop in 3-4 reloads.

Are you sure that person didnt have the recorder you think he missed from a previous run through? My first through I didnt grab any and on my second I stopped to get them all. Just food for thought.

ironhands
05-29-2013, 07:54 AM

WTB: private shards for clans with over 200 members