PDA

View Full Version : Steam Patch - 10 GIGS??!

darthbuh
05-23-2013, 10:31 AM
I'm on a data limitation by my ISP (both of them in my area have the same limitation, can't be avoided), so I try to avoid large downloads if possible.

I just tabbed over to Steam to see this downloading as a 10.3 GB download?!

As of right now, I've already downloaded 3.1 GB, so yes, it's downloading the entire client from scratch again.

What the heck is going on?? :mad::mad:

ironhands
05-23-2013, 10:33 AM
I'm on a data limitation by my ISP (both of them in my area have the same limitation, can't be avoided), so I try to avoid large downloads if possible.

As of right now, I've already downloaded 3.1 GB, so yes, it's downloading the entire client from scratch again.

why are you downloading through steam? You're better off just using the defiance patcher

PIRATEorNINJA
05-23-2013, 10:39 AM
why are you downloading through steam? You're better off just using the defiance patcher

its downloading automatically without user interaction, some people are saying it deleted their game folder and then started downloading so yes this is screwed up

Mladenov
05-23-2013, 10:40 AM
I think patch 1.020 is like 200MB.
The folder before the patch was 10.8gb, after patch is like 11gb.
So, use the Patcher to download the patch, not whole client from Steam.

Illutian
05-23-2013, 10:41 AM
I'll laugh if the launcher goes and tries to download the entire game again. (after Steam finishes doing it)

PIRATEorNINJA
05-23-2013, 10:44 AM
i can confrim Steam is deleting the game folder and then redownloading the ENTIRE game. and it is doing this automatically. i just got done eating lunch and came back to my pc and found it downloading and also found that the games install folder only contains 20 MB now....THIS IS BS

SirenXp
05-23-2013, 10:53 AM
Yep it's a issue with Steam, it's been deleting whole games & then you have to redownload the whole thing again. I found out last week over 90 of installed games were missing from the steam folder, it still showed them as installed in my games list so I didn't notice till I went to play one & it gave me a error message.

Dracian
05-23-2013, 10:54 AM
Wait.

This can't be possible. I'm on Steam and it only took 45 minutes to download and install patch... And I can confirm I don't live in South Korea...

ironhands
05-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Yep it's a issue with Steam, it's been deleting whole games & then you have to redownload the whole thing again. I found out last week over 90 of installed games were missing from the steam folder, it still showed them as installed in my games list so I didn't notice till I went to play one & it gave me a error message.

Oh is it the "updating to a newer format" procedure? I've been seeing that with a few other games lately.

PIRATEorNINJA
05-23-2013, 10:57 AM
I just asked them about it on twitter and this is what they said https://twitter.com/PIRATE_or_NINJA/status/337628119391424512

SirenXp
05-23-2013, 11:05 AM
Oh is it the "updating to a newer format" procedure? I've been seeing that with a few other games lately.

Yeah it's what screwed things up I think, it's been giving me that have to update to newer format message & then it just seems to of deleted each game completely.

ironhands
05-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Yeah it's what screwed things up I think, it's been giving me that have to update to newer format message & then it just seems to of deleted each game completely.

they've been rolling through my library for a while, I think i have around 180 items installed :P, ended up pausing most of them indefinitely, I have no urge to replay crysis 1 or Overlord :P

John Smthy
05-23-2013, 11:07 AM
I recommend that since Defiance has its own updater that you disable updates for the game in Steam.

For anybody reading this thread that doesn't know how:
1 right-click on the game in your library
2 select properties
3 select Updates tab
4 in the dropdown box select "Do not automatically update this game"
5 close dialog box

PIRATEorNINJA
05-23-2013, 11:18 AM
I recommend that since Defiance has its own updater that you disable updates for the game in Steam.

For anybody reading this thread that doesn't know how:
1 right-click on the game in your library
2 select properties
3 select Updates tab
4 in the dropdown box select "Do not automatically update this game"
5 close dialog box

i will after this yes, but right now its too late and ive got to download 5 more gigs

Daergar
05-23-2013, 11:31 AM
My advice; yank the keys from steam, use the launcher and use a seperate folder.

You don't need steam to run the launcher and you don't re-download the entire client. Heck, the only issue I have with the launcher is the lack of an auto-login and failure to recognize Enter in lieu of a mouse-click to get things rolling.

ironhands
05-23-2013, 11:45 AM
My advice; yank the keys from steam, use the launcher and use a seperate folder.

You don't need steam to run the launcher and you don't re-download the entire client. Heck, the only issue I have with the launcher is the lack of an auto-login and failure to recognize Enter in lieu of a mouse-click to get things rolling.

enter works, it just takes a second to process