PDA

View Full Version : Roleplaying. Will You Do It, and How?

Anam
01-11-2013, 10:51 AM
I've not seen this covered here. I equally love PVP/PVE and RP all at the same time. I'll roleplay even within games like Planetside 2 as there's lots of fun things to "yell" out to the enemy based on the histories of the factions. It just adds to the fun by adding another layer of "lore-fu", so to speak.

Within The Secret World, there's a huge RP community that I've been involved with. With Eve Online, the same.

With Defiance, do you all see it as a medium for RP fun? Do you foresee character blogs and fan maybe Alternative Reality Games hosted by players, etc? How much in-game RP will you try to do, or do you think it's to be really done outside of the game.

Also, Defiance devs, what tools will we have for in-game roleplay, should we so desire? Emotes, social settings, etc.?

Deathrow
01-11-2013, 10:55 AM
It was quite fun to RP on TSW. I dont know if ill be roleplaying here. Although , ill stick to "lore".

Voodeux
01-11-2013, 11:13 AM
I've not seen this covered here. I equally love PVP/PVE and RP all at the same time. I'll roleplay even within games like Planetside 2 as there's lots of fun things to "yell" out to the enemy based on the histories of the factions. It just adds to the fun by adding another layer of "lore-fu", so to speak.

Within The Secret World, there's a huge RP community that I've been involved with. With Eve Online, the same.

With Defiance, do you all see it as a medium for RP fun? Do you foresee character blogs and fan maybe Alternative Reality Games hosted by players, etc? How much in-game RP will you try to do, or do you think it's to be really done outside of the game.

Also, Defiance devs, what tools will we have for in-game roleplay, should we so desire? Emotes, social settings, etc.?

I think there will be some roleplay in Defiance. The background and interaction with the TV series is simply way to much of a "perfect storm" to expect there not to be. I do however expect it to occur in niche groups similiar to the way it happens in EVE online within corporations such as VETO and some of the faction warfare groups.

I personally won't be involved in the actual roleplay portion of the game and as my gaming group (IRUIN Gaming) bleeds over neither will they but as we do in EVE this hopefully will not effect the cooperation between such groups as we hardly do any communication in game and perfer to use unit based comms such as TS3 with a liason that can deal with the RP community and not simply troll the **** out of them.

Duncan
01-11-2013, 11:20 AM
I have actually been thinking about this ever since i've heard of Defiance. I would love to RP but I do hope that the game has the tools for it. Some nice hotspots like cafe's, bars or clubs, cities and villages that don't have combat. Also chatbubbles, emotes, sitting in chairs, the usual suspects which add a lot to the RP atmosphere.

Ideally, Trion is very smart and understand that they can atract not only shooter fans but also RPG fans by adding a layer of depth to the Defiance world that is missing in most (if not all) shooter type MMO's.

I for one would love to escape the traditional fantasy setting to do my RP in.

Anam
01-11-2013, 11:21 AM
I think there will be some roleplay in Defiance. The background and interaction with the TV series is simply way to much of a "perfect storm" to expect there not to be. I do however expect it to occur in niche groups similiar to the way it happens in EVE online within corporations such as VETO and some of the faction warfare groups.

I personally won't be involved in the actual roleplay portion of the game and as my gaming group (IRUIN Gaming) bleeds over neither will they but as we do in EVE this hopefully will not effect the cooperation between such groups as we hardly do any communication in game and perfer to use unit based comms such as TS3 with a liason that can deal with the RP community and not simply troll the **** out of them.

In Eve, I've run with a PVP Nullsec corp that's created a large alliance. For fun, I've used our exploits in the game for inspired "battle logs". The Eve Universe is filled with in-game details of all the ship parts and star systems, so even the on-comms chatter in TS3 lends itself to RP even if ppl don't think they are RP'ing.

I could foresee some of the same for Defiance. The interesting thing is that the in-game lore will reflect and be reflected by the show as everyone sort of "discovers" lore in a more progressive way, I would imagine. It may lend itself to more improve RP and etc.

That said, be ware, there are many who love RP that are just as PVP skilled :D

Anam
01-11-2013, 11:38 AM
I have actually been thinking about this ever since i've heard of Defiance. I would love to RP but I do hope that the game has the tools for it. Some nice hotspots like cafe's, bars or clubs, cities and villages that don't have combat. Also chatbubbles, emotes, sitting in chairs, the usual suspects which add a lot to the RP atmosphere.

Ideally, Trion is very smart and understand that they can atract not only shooter fans but also RPG fans by adding a layer of depth to the Defiance world that is missing in most (if not all) shooter type MMO's.

I for one would love to escape the traditional fantasy setting to do my RP in.

Yes, I concur :) SWG had this down pretty well, but lacked true aiming for PVP.