PDA

View Full Version : Is there an actual fix for the "Patch Error: Please Try Again Later" issue?

AZAG0TH
05-23-2013, 04:31 PM
I have been having this issue for the past couple of patches on my GFs PC. Eventually, I get tired of trying and copy over my entire game installation onto a thumb drive and install it onto her machine that way.. but that always takes way too long.

I have tried to download the patch 4 times today and am consistently getting that message about 1/3 of the way through the bar.

I started it again just now (figured I'd try Running as Administrator" again) but I'm not really that hopeful.

I think it is very odd that I never really have this issue with my installation (Win Vista 32 bit installed on a separate hard drive), but she consistently does. Initially she was running the game on a Win Vista 64 bit laptop, and now on a new custom-built gaming PC, with Win 7 64 bit.

I should add that I also could not download the initial installation on her new PC and had to copy over mine to begin with. BUT the initial install on her laptop was downloaded successfully with the same issue she is having on her new PC!

I am wondering if the other people who are having this issue are running 64 bit operating systems? I know it's a long shot as 32 bit is pretty outdated, but I can't think of any other reason this would continue to happen on her PCs. It is also making me very nervous about my plans to upgrade my PC (and operating system) next week.

Madhava
05-23-2013, 04:40 PM
One of my friends had this issue. Basically what happened with him was that he formatted his computer and kept a copy of defiance and just tried to play off that.

He re installed with a fresh copy and it worked fine.

Oh and I use Win 7 64 bit not issues.

AZAG0TH
05-23-2013, 04:44 PM
Well.. running as Administrator failed again.. Guess I will try windows XP compatibility mode one last time. :sigh:

AZAG0TH
05-23-2013, 04:45 PM
One of my friends had this issue. Basically what happened with him was that he formatted his computer and kept a copy of defiance and just tried to play off that.

He re installed with a fresh copy and it worked fine.

Oh and I use Win 7 64 bit not issues.

I had tried to install defiance on her pc on a brand new installation of windows.. it didn't work.
Thanks for the reply though. I guess I will try a whole new install on her pc again tomorrow or something.

NirvanaDest
05-23-2013, 04:55 PM
I run Vista 64 bit SP2 with no problems to date. Not to say a future patch wont create the problem.

AZAG0TH
05-23-2013, 05:11 PM
Well, running Windows XP compatibility mode... huh.. no patch error YET, but it has patched to about 55-60% and restarted the bar 3 times so far... going to let this play out for a while and see if it gets further along every time...

Edit: Walked back in the room to see "Patch Error: Please Try Again Later."

I'll try reinstalling from scratch again.. this sucks.

Caswallawn
05-23-2013, 05:17 PM
if your on vista do you have the game installed in program files? as vista (and windows 7 to an extent) is heavily overprotective on the program files folder so it was always best to install in a new folder at the top level of the hard drive to avoid the security issues that could pop up. it's either that or change the security options on the program files folder to make sure you have full access to it.

AZAG0TH
05-23-2013, 05:44 PM
My installation is in D:\Games.

On her laptop it was in C:\Games.

On her new PC it is in the default AppData directory. When I initially tried to download it I put it in C:\Games. When that didn't work I uninstalled and reinstalled into the default directory (as there was a thread here indicating this would help).. it didn't work. That's when I just started copying my installation onto her hard drive. She can play when I do that, but every time there is a patch I have to do it all over again.

Edit: completely uninstalled everything, re-ran the patcher trying to install to C:\Games and got the patch error again. I'm really at a loss here. :( Could it be a time of day thing? Like maybe it might actually allow me to do this in the morning or something?

AZAG0TH
05-23-2013, 06:28 PM
Well, Uninstalled everything again. Ran Regedit and removed everything that had to do with defiance, trion, and the trion patcher.

I then re-downloaded the installer and am attempting to re-install the game from scratch (again). She's telling me to just give up... and if this doesn't work I may have to.

Whippersnapper
05-23-2013, 06:29 PM
Three hours ago I was at 51 minutes. I look away for a minute and its back at 2 hours 30 minutes. I had issues last big patch and live chat support told me to delete Defiance and reinstall. They said it wouldnt take 12hrs+ like a fresh install. They were right. So I tried that again and it failed. Im still at 12hrs on a fresh install now :(

If this keeps happening I will have to leave the game. I don't have the patience for fresh re-installs or multiple patch attempts that take 10hrs+. Ive played plenty of MMOs and game patching is smooth. This is ridiculous.

TheMilkman
05-23-2013, 06:43 PM
I have been having this issue for the past couple of patches on my GFs PC. Eventually, I get tired of trying and copy over my entire game installation onto a thumb drive and install it onto her machine that way.. but that always takes way too long.

I have tried to download the patch 4 times today and am consistently getting that message about 1/3 of the way through the bar.

I started it again just now (figured I'd try Running as Administrator" again) but I'm not really that hopeful.

I think it is very odd that I never really have this issue with my installation (Win Vista 32 bit installed on a separate hard drive), but she consistently does. Initially she was running the game on a Win Vista 64 bit laptop, and now on a new custom-built gaming PC, with Win 7 64 bit.

I should add that I also could not download the initial installation on her new PC and had to copy over mine to begin with. BUT the initial install on her laptop was downloaded successfully with the same issue she is having on her new PC!

I am wondering if the other people who are having this issue are running 64 bit operating systems? I know it's a long shot as 32 bit is pretty outdated, but I can't think of any other reason this would continue to happen on her PCs. It is also making me very nervous about my plans to upgrade my PC (and operating system) next week.

all i did was restart my computer and it fix that problem.

Tsungfai
05-23-2013, 07:29 PM
I read somewhere on this forum (Don't remember where exactly) to NOT close the program when it says "Patch Error: Please Try Again Later" and simply just open a new patch window, every time and it would just resume where it would error out.

Peldyn
05-23-2013, 07:47 PM
Well, I went through 3 days of this and finally yelled at my pc. I am /was having this same issue. It has to be somehting on my pc because I CAN install patches IF I boot in safe mode with networking enabled. This only pertains to the larger patches. Small minor ones i can load np. Normal running my win7 64 bit, I get blocked after a certain amount of time even after trying everything suggested by Trion. A little inconvenient but I can play now...

Beer Drinker Jones
05-23-2013, 08:09 PM
I did have this exact problem twice, after a big patch but checking "run as administrator" in the compatibility tab of the icon properties fixed it both times.
I had deleted my icon and replaced it, between patches, and after the second patch came in I had to do it again.

That's all I got.. sry

AZAG0TH
05-23-2013, 09:23 PM
Well guys, thanks for all the attempted help! (I mean it!)

For anyone in the future that may have this problem:

It looks like I fixed it. I had tried running as administrator, and xp compatability, not closing the patcher when it failed etc.

I took a look at the patch log before deciding to mess with the registry and noticed that it seemed to think the patches were already there when I attempted a fresh install.

What I did was, completely uninstall everything. Then delete the folders it left. Then I ran regedit.exe and searched for every single defiance registry entry and deleted them. I then did the same for TRION. That led me to the TRION PATCHER and I deleted them as well.

After re-downloading (2+ hours) she's up and running again.. too bad the servers aren't.. lol. Oh well, at least we got a chance to watch Parker (which was a pretty decent movie).

My theory is that the Trion patcher mixes up everything if you ever tried to install it to a different location. Even after uninstalling and trying to download to a new dir it STILL kept all the old download logs and locations.

Hopefully this did it and the next time there is a patch she can just update normally. Thanks again to all that tried to help.

Skradget
05-23-2013, 09:32 PM
I Searched the main forums for PATCH ERROR. I had the same problem. This worked for me:

1. Start then right click on “Computer”

2. Select properties.

3. Click on “Advanced System Settings” on the left side of the window that pops up.

4. Click on the “Advanced” tab of the “System Properties” window that pops up.

5. Click on the “Environment Variables” button.

6. Under the “User variables for” section change the TEMP and TMP variables to:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

7. If the variables don’t exist then add them
Variable Name : TEMP
Variable Value: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp
Variable Name : TMP
Variable Value: %USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Temp

8. Click Ok to accept the changes.

9. Reboot windows.

10. Try again.

Riptharipper
05-24-2013, 04:55 PM
What about consol players? I'm Xbox. I get critical patch error every time. Deleting and reinstalling does not work either as Trion said it would...