PDA

View Full Version : @ people who complain about server downtime

Radb
05-23-2013, 04:33 PM
You're experiencing withdrawal, all will be ok. Just be strong and stay the course. Eventually your dru... game will be back online for you to enjoy.

I don't own Defiance however reading so many complaint threads about server downtime has me thinking,

"why are people so upset?"
"Is the game so good people can't be without it for a few hours, days?"
"WHY AM I NOT PLAYING THIS GAME!? Where's my wallet! where are my car keys!!!"

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 04:41 PM
You're experiencing withdrawal, all will be ok. Just be strong and stay the course. Eventually your dru... game will be back online for you to enjoy.

I don't own Defiance however reading so many complaint threads about server downtime has me thinking,

It may have something to do with the fact that people payed quite a bit for the game (some of us), and some of us have put quite a bit of money into the game, as well as the fact that if you buy bonus time it continues to count down even when you are not online, making this 9+hours of downtime where boosts are steadily ticking away, boosts that cost real money.

ragnarok09
05-23-2013, 04:42 PM
i just wanna play and soon i hope.

vizibledog
05-23-2013, 04:45 PM

You left your wallet in the car. I know this because I just stole your car while you were inside typing away on your computer :D

john33hhh
05-23-2013, 04:47 PM

i pay for it now i want to now i cant play it .if we count the amount of hours stack inthis offline issue.it has been a DAY ok.and yes the is very good and people have lots fun with it or else you didnt see nobody writing in this forums..

Radb
05-23-2013, 04:48 PM
It may have something to do with the fact that people payed quite a bit for the game (some of us), and some of us have put quite a bit of money into the game, as well as the fact that if you buy bonus time it continues to count down even when you are not online, making this 9+hours of downtime where boosts are steadily ticking away, boosts that cost real money.

Thats a valid point although I would suggest taking it up with TRION support rather than bringing your complaints to a forum. I just dealt with an issue that had me locked out of my account for 5 days. It got resolved eventually and I asked the GM for some credit towards Rift - he gave me 3 days. Keep in mind I wasn't subbed or anything, was coming back from a long hiatus so I thought it was pretty cool for them to just give me 3 days for nothing.

Epyon
05-23-2013, 04:48 PM
I personally didnt manage to get on before they shut it down again but Ive read that they gave some free boosts, those will most likely still be there. One of the reasons a lot of people are complaining about the downtime isnt just the downtime, the bug theyre trying to fix "Item Duplication" was being exploited repeatedly, and people dont like to give back what theyve taken, specially when its free weapons, free weapon skills, etc.

StaffyDog
05-23-2013, 04:50 PM
I'm seriously considering to ban myself spending any more money on this game now, including any dlc. Just had enough of problems with this game and what with this extended downtime it seems just a waste.

Kessler
05-23-2013, 04:51 PM

Here's an idea stop spending your money virtual items. If you paid more than 60$ for this there is no one to blame but yourself.

Radb
05-23-2013, 04:51 PM
You left your wallet in the car. I know this because I just stole your car while you were inside typing away on your computer :D

Too bad, you seem like a cool fellow and would have loved to game with you. Initiating manual vehicular self destruct sequence *presses BIG red button*

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 04:54 PM
I personally didnt manage to get on before they shut it down again but Ive read that they gave some free boosts, those will most likely still be there. One of the reasons a lot of people are complaining about the downtime isnt just the downtime, the bug theyre trying to fix "Item Duplication" was being exploited repeatedly, and people dont like to give back what theyve taken, specially when its free weapons, free weapon skills, etc.

From what I've seen, the boosts were part of the glitch, just like the re-issue of all of your claim items. If I am understanding it right, these are the same boosts that were given to those of us that bout the CE or UE.

marimart249
05-23-2013, 04:55 PM
LOL at the people complaining about their money. Seriously you spent more than 60 dollars? For what? I spent 140 or whatever for the collectors edition which gave me initial boosts and stuff and I am at 2000 level and have yet to spend any extra money. I just want the servers back up to play Freight yard on my day off :)

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 04:57 PM
Here's an idea stop spending your money virtual items. If you paid more than 60$ for this there is no one to blame but yourself.

I said Some of us, not all of us, I personally bought the UE, but then can you tell me you've never bought a CE or UE truthfully? I haven't spent anything extra for bits yet, but I was thinking about it, these problems constantly are making me second guess spending any extra cash though, which is bad for Trion.

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 04:58 PM
LOL at the people complaining about their money. Seriously you spent more than 60 dollars? For what? I spent 140 or whatever for the collectors edition which gave me initial boosts and stuff and I am at 2000 level and have yet to spend any extra money. I just want the servers back up to play Freight yard on my day off :)

...you yourself just admitted to spending more than $60 on the game...

john33hhh
05-23-2013, 05:01 PM

You now this is a forum for the game itself where people talk and complain about it..Why you here?if the person have money to spend then its free to purchased anything..if you by something and that something is broken the people have the right to blame cry complaint whatever the motive.

vizibledog
05-23-2013, 05:02 PM
Too bad, you seem like a cool fellow and would have loved to game with you. Initiating manual vehicular self destruct sequence *presses BIG red button*

Nothing's happened dude it didnt work. I'm still driving. Did you buy that self destruct device from Trion? :D

Kessler
05-23-2013, 05:02 PM
I said Some of us, not all of us, I personally bought the UE, but then can you tell me you've never bought a CE or UE truthfully? I haven't spent anything extra for bits yet, but I was thinking about it, these problems constantly are making me second guess spending any extra cash though, which is bad for Trion.

Maybe I'm too old to fall for them. A few little bonuses, and real life toys aren't enough to justify 80 more bucks. Now if super mario put out ultimate editions when I was a kid I might have sprung for them. The best I do is pre order to usually get some free stuff from EB games or whoever.

Kessler
05-23-2013, 05:15 PM
You now this is a forum for the game itself where people talk and complain about it..Why you here?if the person have money to spend then its free to purchased anything..if you by something and that something is broken the people have the right to blame cry complaint whatever the motive.

In what world is a forum only a place to complain? I suppose it does seem that way sometimes when you look at the posts considering how many entitled whiners there are.

If you paid 60$ and you've put lets say more than 4 hours into it you have more than gotten your moneys worth. In all honesty people have put way WAY more hours into it than that so complaining is ridiculous. Now if you have spent money in their store there has to be some responsibility put on you the consumer. It's called buyer beware, existing since the dawn of capitalism. If you foolishly spend your money it's mainly your own fault.

God there is nothing even worth buying in the store yet people still drop hundreds of dollars then complain about it, it truly boggles the mind.

Tshudoe
05-23-2013, 05:17 PM
My complaint about the servers being down is that I haven't had a chance to play since Sunday and when I finally get time to get on for a bit, the servers are down and they have no idea when they'll get them back up. Absolutely stupid. >.>

Der Bar Juden
05-23-2013, 05:17 PM
I can't really complain about the down time since I just got it yesterday and cannot show any pattern of downtime, but I will say this, any server based mmorpg, or in this case mmotps, is going to have higher that average downtime in the months following initial release, there is just simply no way that beta testing is going to measure up to real world launch and is realistically meant to catch the vast majority of catastrophic failures, but some are missed, and in the rare instance where something like this happens, and not only affects the in game environment, but also the companies renewable income, they are going to leave the servers offline until A. The problem is fixed or B. the loss of renewable income due to customer dissatisfaction becomes greater than the loss due to consumer in-game exploitation of coding errors.

Also, if this game were purely co-op, it would be less of an issue and might just wait till the next patch, but since it is also PvP, it gives the players who exploit errors an unfair advantage against those who either do not know how to exploit the error, cannot exploit the error (in the event the error is limited to one platform), or those who simply don't want to lessen their experience through exploitation.

TL;DR — suck it up, it is normal to have downtime and the progs also have the ability to offset any in game loss caused by the downtime.

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 05:18 PM
In what world is a forum only a place to complain? I suppose it does seem that way sometimes when you look at the posts considering how many entitled whiners there are.

If you paid 60$ and you've put lets say more than 4 hours into it you have more than gotten your moneys worth. In all honesty people have put way WAY more hours into it than that so complaining is ridiculous. Now if you have spent money in their store there has to be some responsibility put on you the consumer. It's called buyer beware, existing since the dawn of capitalism. If you foolishly spend your money it's mainly your own fault.

God there is nothing even worth buying in the store yet people still drop hundreds of dollars then complain about it, it truly boggles the mind.

See that is the problem, in a capitalist society the business depends on the consumer, not the other way around, somewhere in there though they have managed to get people to believe that they work for the business. If you buy a product and it is not satisfactory, do you not find a way to let the company know? If not then you are part of the problem, letting the company slip further and further from quality because you are accepting of less and less quality.

Kessler
05-23-2013, 05:30 PM
See that is the problem, in a capitalist society the business depends on the consumer, not the other way around, somewhere in there though they have managed to get people to believe that they work for the business. If you buy a product and it is not satisfactory, do you not find a way to let the company know? If not then you are part of the problem, letting the company slip further and further from quality because you are accepting of less and less quality.

Yes, but within reason and I have yet to see reasonable complaints on here. Servers being down on patch day is not a reasonable complaint, pvp imbalance is not a reasonable complaint (you cannot balance pvp in any game, strike down one flavor of the month and a new one will rise) and many of the posts I see just are not reasonable.

I will concede one point, I may not agree with buying boosts as it seems like a pointless waste of money, but they should not time out unless you (or clan members) are online to use them. So often though you see ragers using the argument "I've spent $x on this game, I demand satisfaction!" those are the guys that get me.

SilvaDoberman
05-23-2013, 05:35 PM
I'm guessing the people that are complaining about downtime have never played an MMO before.....Thats the life of an MMO player...Get used to it. Hell I remember my days of playing FFXI. Server would be down for 12 hours, just to finally log in and have an 8 hour update. Only makes the game better. Suck it up and go Outside.

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 05:37 PM
I'm guessing the people that are complaining about downtime have never played an MMO before.....Thats the life of an MMO player...Get used to it. Hell I remember my days of playing FFXI. Server would be down for 12 hours, just to finally log in and have an 8 hour update. Only makes the game better. Suck it up and go Outside.

Some of us have a hard time going outside and enjoying it, hell, some of us have trouble (Meaning pain here) getting up so we can even play a game.

SilvaDoberman
05-23-2013, 05:40 PM
Some of us have a hard time going outside and enjoying it, hell, some of us have trouble (Meaning pain here) getting up so we can even play a game.

Still doesn't change the fact that complaining about downtime is doing nothing. Trion will most likely reimburse people with countdowns on paid items just like they do for their other MMO's. The downtime is only going to help us in game.

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 05:43 PM
Yes, but within reason and I have yet to see reasonable complaints on here. Servers being down on patch day is not a reasonable complaint, pvp imbalance is not a reasonable complaint (you cannot balance pvp in any game, strike down one flavor of the month and a new one will rise) and many of the posts I see just are not reasonable.

I will concede one point, I may not agree with buying boosts as it seems like a pointless waste of money, but they should not time out unless you (or clan members) are online to use them. So often though you see ragers using the argument "I've spent $x on this game, I demand satisfaction!" those are the guys that get me.

Personally, I'd say having a game be down an entire day isn't something that is acceptable, and yes, I am an old school player of MMOs and I do know that some of them have issues, which is why instead of just whining and complaining, I submitted a thread airing my greivances, then suggesting a simple, yet effective token that could be used to appease the masses. A single item released only for those of us that had to deal with the day being lost (and yes, it is lost when you can't do much because of physical pain, not Trion's fault but the fact remains), a single item that would be something you'd be willing to put up in the in-game store for a small sum of money (Something like the hats for value). I'm sure they will do something, but most likely it will be boosts, and in my opinion that's not really a reward, it makes me want to stay up so I don't loose time on my boosts, and when it expires I have nothing to show for it that I couldn't have gotten from just playing.

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 05:44 PM
Still doesn't change the fact that complaining about downtime is doing nothing. Trion will most likely reimburse people with countdowns on paid items just like they do for their other MMO's. The downtime is only going to help us in game.

Help us in game by giving us temporary boosts that do nothing really? I mean, I can spend a little extra time to level. Doesn't feel like a reward to give an expiring item.

SilvaDoberman
05-23-2013, 05:47 PM
Personally, I'd say having a game be down an entire day isn't something that is acceptable, and yes, I am an old school player of MMOs and I do know that some of them have issues, which is why instead of just whining and complaining, I submitted a thread airing my greivances, then suggesting a simple, yet effective token that could be used to appease the masses. A single item released only for those of us that had to deal with the day being lost (and yes, it is lost when you can't do much because of physical pain, not Trion's fault but the fact remains), a single item that would be something you'd be willing to put up in the in-game store for a small sum of money (Something like the hats for value). I'm sure they will do something, but most likely it will be boosts, and in my opinion that's not really a reward, it makes me want to stay up so I don't loose time on my boosts, and when it expires I have nothing to show for it that I couldn't have gotten from just playing.

Your complaint is understandable. I don't think the game should be down this long either. But I still look at it in an optimistic way. Trion has a good track record. This will not happen often. I also really feel that when it comes back up, we are going to see a much better game than we did 9 hours ago. I am happy it is down this long to be honest. That shows they are not going to throw us in a game that isn't ready.........again.

SilvaDoberman
05-23-2013, 05:48 PM
Help us in game by giving us temporary boosts that do nothing really? I mean, I can spend a little extra time to level. Doesn't feel like a reward to give an expiring item.

That is also nothing to complain about. Yes they will give you your boosts back that you originally paid for.....thats why you paid for it correct? You will get it back. No losses. No complaints.

Radb
05-23-2013, 05:54 PM

This is the gaming industry we're talking about and complaining about server downtime or some other non-issue can actually have an adverse effect on quality. They are doing the best they can to fix the game and complaining they are not doing it fast enough won't speed things up. If there's enough negativity on the forums it tends to spread quickly and it may make people think twice about buying the game. This will create a downturn in revenue which will lead to layoffs and slower turn around on content & patches. Worst case scenario, the company folds. If you really do hate the game and its a valid complaint then maybe the company deserves this, but IMO Trion doesn't. They really impressed me back when RIFT launched and I respect them for being an unknown company that knocked one out of the park with that MMO. I'm going to buy Defiance tomorrow partly because I enjoyed the pilot episode, partly because I want to blow some %$#^ up in the game setting and mostly to show some support for TRION and give them some revenue so that they may continue to improve the game and keep it going.

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 05:57 PM
Your complaint is understandable. I don't think the game should be down this long either. But I still look at it in an optimistic way. Trion has a good track record. This will not happen often. I also really feel that when it comes back up, we are going to see a much better game than we did 9 hours ago. I am happy it is down this long to be honest. That shows they are not going to throw us in a game that isn't ready.........again.

I am hoping for this myself, They have a good record with Rift, but so far the Defiance Record has been rocky at best. I love the game myself, it's why I bought the UE, and I don't regret it, just starting to feel like they are just going through the motions like Blizzard and it makes me sad.

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 06:00 PM
This is the gaming industry we're talking about and complaining about server downtime or some other non-issue can actually have an adverse effect on quality. They are doing the best they can to fix the game and complaining they are not doing it fast enough won't speed things up. If there's enough negativity on the forums it tends to spread quickly and it may make people think twice about buying the game. This will create a downturn in revenue which will lead to layoffs and slower turn around on content & patches. Worst case scenario, the company folds. If you really do hate the game and its a valid complaint then maybe the company deserves this, but IMO Trion doesn't. They really impressed me back when RIFT launched and I respect them for being an unknown company that knocked one out of the park with that MMO. I'm going to buy Defiance tomorrow partly because I enjoyed the pilot episode, partly because I want to blow some %$#^ up in the game setting and mostly to show some support for TRION and give them some revenue so that they may continue to improve the game and keep it going.

You know what would stop all this negative talk? Them being open with issues. The game has been down since shortly after the patch for hours, and they have posted some updates, all of which follow the same line, We are working on it, we promise (no details), no ETA though, after hours of waiting, which infact, I didn't complain during until it had become 8 hours of waiting for a game that was supposed to be down 4, with no real details on what is going on.

SSlarg
05-23-2013, 06:03 PM
*Stands with eyes bulging, shaking like a leaf screaming various vulgarities at the sky.*

Radb
05-23-2013, 06:03 PM
I am hoping for this myself, They have a good record with Rift, but so far the Defiance Record has been rocky at best. I love the game myself, it's why I bought the UE, and I don't regret it, just starting to feel like they are just going through the motions like Blizzard and it makes me sad.

Wasn't there a major round of layoffs at TRION recently? That has to have some impact on the game. If you enjoy it and you like TRIOn as a company have some patience and show them support right now, they need it.

Micheal Storm
05-23-2013, 06:12 PM
I am used to downtime with the DC servers so i am all good. If you have ever played that game then you will think of Defiance as the holy grail of online worlds. DC is a piece of crap at least defiance actually fixes bugs, gives clear reason for doing so and doesn't crash every time the going gets tough. I am actually pleased they are spending the time to listen and fix. + 1 Defiance

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 06:15 PM
Wasn't there a major round of layoffs at TRION recently? That has to have some impact on the game. If you enjoy it and you like TRIOn as a company have some patience and show them support right now, they need it.

Actually, this is common at any game company, it is standard practice to hire a huge development team then downsize to a steady team for support and new content, so this isn't an excuse, it's something that normally happens and shouldn't be anything to panic about.

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 06:16 PM
I am used to downtime with the DC servers so i am all good. If you have ever played that game then you will think of Defiance as the holy grail of online worlds. DC is a piece of crap at least defiance actually fixes bugs, gives clear reason for doing so and doesn't crash every time the going gets tough. I am actually pleased they are spending the time to listen and fix. + 1 Defiance

I'm mostly complaining about the lack of communication, if they would tell us a bit more about the issue aside from still working, still no ETA, I would be a very happy person, but they are lacking pretty much even basic communications.

Wildfrost
05-23-2013, 06:35 PM
I am also not happy about the game being down this long but I do think the developers will make it worth our while in the long run for being willing to wait. I want a game that works well not alright.

Micheal Storm
05-23-2013, 06:45 PM
I doubt it will be any more then a few hours i just performed a fair update and the list shows some good fixes.

JodiKnight
05-23-2013, 06:54 PM
So, I am very new to the game, as in I bought it around 14:00 EST today. Brought it home, dropped it in my console and, well, you know... Haven't even made a character yet... I am wondering, is this something I should be overly concerned about? I really like the show, and I hope I haven't made a poor decision on the game!

Ms Cherie
05-23-2013, 06:59 PM
<---is not addicted... LMAO... OK... Maybe just a little... Just didn't get my game-time in this evening. :(

john33hhh
05-23-2013, 06:59 PM
So, I am very new to the game, as in I bought it around 14:00 EST today. Brought it home, dropped it in my console and, well, you know... Haven't even made a character yet... I am wondering, is this something I should be overly concerned about? I really like the show, and I hope I haven't made a poor decision on the game!
The game is good we are all concern because the amount of time offline and no post or comment from trion.i got the game when it came out and until today works fine in mmo standards .

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 07:07 PM

I second what John said, the game itself is a good game, but they have dropped the ball on communication, giving us so little in details they may as well have said nothing imo.

Radb
05-23-2013, 07:10 PM

I'm getting it tomorrow, we should noob it up together :D I'm PST though so, yeah.... time conflict :(

*EDIT* ^^ Assuming the servers are up.

JodiKnight
05-23-2013, 07:10 PM
Cool... I'm new to MMOs, and I am really anxious to jump in, but I can be patient! Thanks for the opinion!

john33hhh
05-23-2013, 07:12 PM
I dont no if reinstall the game will be of any worth to the situation..kinda think about that if this prolongues for hours or days....

Littleweasel

boosts are the main reason i pissed for the down time, some clan member(s) bought clan boost then the server went down and as you stated the time keeps ticking away even though we can't play.

Nikola Tesla
Cool... I'm new to MMOs, and I am really anxious to jump in, but I can be patient! Thanks for the opinion!

Well, you picked a good one to start with, it lends itself to finding a group easily, and the way things work the enemies never get easier, you just get better and before you realize it you aren't having any problems with most of the enemies.

JodiKnight
05-23-2013, 07:13 PM
I'm getting it tomorrow, we should noob it up together :D I'm PST though so, yeah.... time conflict :(

*EDIT* ^^ Assuming the servers are up.

Be glad to, but I'm working a 24 tomorrow, so I won't have a chance to get back on again until I put my kids to bed Saturday night. PSN - ClemsonMedic, look me up if you're on!

Radb
05-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Be glad to, but I'm working a 24 tomorrow, so I won't have a chance to get back on again until I put my kids to bed Saturday night. PSN - ClemsonMedic, look up if you're on!

Damn, I thought I had it bad when I worked 16 hr shifts. I'll add you and maybe we can meet up sometime this weekend. Should be fun running around learning and dieing together (at least I'll have a medic with me, yeah? :D)

Nikola Tesla
05-23-2013, 07:17 PM
Be glad to, but I'm working a 24 tomorrow, so I won't have a chance to get back on again until I put my kids to bed Saturday night. PSN - ClemsonMedic, look me up if you're on!

If you are looking for a group to game with click on the link in my sig and take a look, sign up if you like us.

john33hhh
05-23-2013, 07:18 PM
psn-john33hhh kicking raiders changis since...2 April :)

Uchiha Micah
05-23-2013, 07:24 PM

W.O.W with guns and a lot to do. Step your game up your missing out.

JodiKnight
05-23-2013, 07:26 PM
If you are looking for a group to game with click on the link in my sig and take a look, sign up if you like us.

Be glad to look out for you and play, but I'm hesitant to join any groups or clans. I work 24on / 48off & am a single dad of three (Yay, RedBull!!!), so I can't ever be sure of when, or even if, I can be available...