PDA

View Full Version : Curious about laptop specs.

crasher
05-24-2013, 03:22 PM
I always play on the intel/Gigabyte/Radeon/Win7 unit I built last fall.

It's reasonably stout and bulletproof as far as everything I pitch at it, so I have no other experience to compare.

What are the game specs re: i5/Win7 laptop?
Possible, or so far out in left field it's off the map?

Just wondering about how hard it'd be to make the game portable for those times that I can't call in sick, or actually have to *attend* meetings-n-crap.

RL can be such a bother...

Dazz
05-24-2013, 04:55 PM

It's reasonably stout and bulletproof as far as everything I pitch at it, so I have no other experience to compare.

Just wondering about how hard it'd be to make the game portable for those times that I can't call in sick, or actually have to *attend* meetings-n-crap.

Well, just for the record, I have an Asus gaming laptop, this one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230141 and its laggy as hell. Arkfalls can take more than 30 seconds to rezz at times. Never was on WoW or Rift or whatever, but it hates Defiance. Maybe its wifi, or maybe its the video controller, dunno. My quad core desktop runs just fine and has a wired network connection. *shrugs*

Whippersnapper
05-24-2013, 05:38 PM
Im no good with laptops. The issue I have with them is the vid card since its built-in to the motherboard and cant be replaced. This is bad for me because I don't buy new PCs unless they break or become obsolete.

That said, even an i3 CPU should be fine so long as the vid card on the motherboard is good enough, and you can get one reasonably cheap too at 300-400. Just gotta sniff out a deal. Desktops can be even cheaper if you go with "last years model" instead of going top-of-the-line. Yea you wont be quite on par with the Big 'Ol Boys but it'll suffice, and even if it breaks quick, you still save after buying a similar replacement. In other words, they're more "disposable"

PrimalSiren
05-24-2013, 08:41 PM
I'm playing on this poor old thinghttp://www.asus.com/Notebooks_Ultrabooks/G50V/#specifications with windows 7 ultimate, and the game plays ok for me, but I have to make sure I have a cooling fan and am playing on a solid surface like a desk or a table, rather than in my comfy chair with my laptop in my lap. The temp has risen as high as 205 while playing defiance, but never gets above 170 on WoW or other similar games. =/ I can't play often or for long because of that.

I haven't really experienced any type of slow graphics or freezing, stuff seems to work well with the graphics setting lowered a bit.

KelLiras
05-24-2013, 09:41 PM
I use an older laptop as well (Acer). I have to use an external mouse (for some reason it won't let me use the trackpad and WASD movement keys at the same time... so I could aim/fire -OR- move, but not both) and I also have to use an external cooling fan otherwise it overheats. But, it works fine that way. I haven't had much problems with lag.

alred
05-24-2013, 11:08 PM

This is the laptop the kids and I use to game on [we each have one].
http://store.acer.com/store/acerna/en_US/pd/ThemeID.30483300/productID.258312300

OS - Windows 8
Processor - 3rd Generation Intel Core ™ i5-3210M Processor 2.5GHZ with Turbo Boost Technology up to 3.1GHz
Storage - 500GB 5400RPM SATA Hard Drive
Memory - 4GB of DDR3 system memory
Memory Card Supported - Secure Digital ™ (SD) Card, MultiMediaCard ™ (MMC), Memory Stick ™ (MS), Memory Stick PRO ™ (MS PRO), xD-Picture Card ™ (xD)
Display - 15.6" HD Widescreen CineCrystal ™ LED-backlit Display
Video - NVIDIA GeForce GT 630M with 1GB of dedicated DDR3 VRAM supporting NVIDIA CUDA

Mine is plugged into a 46" Tv.
It does fairly well, compared to my Linux box and my windows Vista box. Both of which are about 5 years old. When I tried playing the beta of Defiance on my vista box, it was a sluggish affair. Now it's nice and smooth.

Now I do get lag around arkfalls. But I suspect that rolling up to an arkfall at a fast pace in a vehicle, plus all the animations and players that have to be rendered, I would suspect many video cards would have slow rendering.
My laptop is connected via wifi. I've played WOW on it, in ultra settings, and WOW ran fine. Though the rendering would lag a bit in Stormwind. Because again, all the players etc.
I turned the settings to medium and get an FPs of 40 to 50. On my linux box the FPS would be 12 to 20.

Murphdog
05-25-2013, 03:13 AM
I had a 3 year old HP that ran great, except for the overheating thats been going on lately. 6 gigs of ram. great video card. but because of the overheating, the game got laggy after 10 minutes and the laptop shut down. I ended up replacing it this past week with this awesome ASUS....

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834230591

I use it as my primary pc so I was ok with spending over 2 grand for it. Defiance runs great on it.

SirenXp
05-26-2013, 09:22 AM
I really would like to be able to play this on laptop while away but it's just too laggy on my Acer Aspire 5535, it's strange cuz in task manager it isn't running above 60% & memory usage isn't high ether. I use to play DCUO on it just fine so thought with everything set to low & with lower resolution defiance would work ok. For now I've put it down to an issue with my Ati Hd 3200.

Samhael
05-26-2013, 09:51 AM
Alienware M14Xr2 without any lag on highest settings. I know it's technically a Dell, but it runs smooth.

Skeety
05-26-2013, 12:40 PM
I have this (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834110277) 17" laptop except my cores are 1.5GHz, general specs are here (http://solutions.us.fujitsu.com/www/content/pdf/SupportGuides/N6460_UG_B5FJ-4161-01EN-00_060107.pdf). I upgraded it from Vista-32bit Home to retail Vista-64bit (that wasn't easy due to drivers but I got it done) with 4GB RAM and I kept it at SP1, which made a nice speed performance boost. I use the original HDD as a slave drive and for Norton Ghost disk image (bootable) backups of the a 238GB SSD for the C drive, the SSD upgrade made a large improvement in loading game graphics from disk. I play this game on lower game graphics settings in a bordered window (restore size, all the screen except for the task bar used by game) with a general screen setting of 1440x900 resolution (including task bar). I almost never experience lag, sometimes a little bit on occasions at arkfalls but that's rare and not persistent. This game has never crashed for me, not even once. The computer is 7 years old next month, and I'm having its 2 internal fans replaced early next week along with cleaning and replacement of old heat sink compound. It's still doing well with games but I use it primarily for electronic and PCB design (and related software design). One of my best buys ever, it was near top of the line in its day. I'd recommend its manufacture but it is very difficult to find parts if it needs them (I can buy my parts for it direct from the manufacture but many cannot) and the manufacture won't work on out of warranty machines so that's a big issue for most people.

My laptop isn't supposed to be able to play a lot of games out today. But it does pretty good with them anyway. The screen is nice and bright with no bad pixels, and the comp can send pix and sound to HDMI (which is very nice). The comp is a geezer now but it plays this game to my satisfaction and better than some new systems do.:D