PDA

View Full Version : If you intend to play Defiance full-time....get a Chatpad.

JMadFour
03-23-2013, 10:46 AM
best 30 bucks you'll spend.

or 19 bucks, if you get one used.

Chatpad works perfectly ingame, makes communicating a lot easier when voice chat is not available.

Hermit Grimm
03-23-2013, 10:57 AM
Any old USB keyboard also works very well. Preferably of the wireless variety.

JMadFour
03-23-2013, 10:58 AM

yeah, USB keyboard work too.

I find though, that the chatpad is a little more convienient.

either way, some form of typing would be optimal.

Thee Apothecary
03-23-2013, 11:00 AM
im getting a backlit keyboard :)

Alzan
03-23-2013, 11:02 AM
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but is it possible to type without pressing the show keyboard button? It's extremely annoying having to do that.

Dunnomatic
03-23-2013, 11:03 AM
Voice chat is way easier the typing and the full game will support this. On 360 specifically your going to run into more people with headsets then chatpads anyways. Go buy a 20$ headset in opinion it will serve you better if youre looking to interact with other players.

JMadFour
03-23-2013, 11:05 AM
I don't know if I'm doing something wrong, but is it possible to type without pressing the show keyboard button? It's extremely annoying having to do that.

press enter, on whatever keyboard you are using.

dstrollo360
03-23-2013, 11:05 AM

See if I stick the wireless usb detector thing in my xbox. How will I get it out. It is tiny and fits right in the hole.

JMadFour
03-23-2013, 11:06 AM
Voice chat is way easier the typing and the full game will support this. On 360 specifically your going to run into more people with headsets then chatpads anyways. Go buy a 20$ headset in opinion it will serve you better if youre looking to interact with other players.

Chatpad comes with a headset. :)

I'm not saying not to voice chat. just saying, having a keyboard as well is a good thing. won't always have voice chat, I don't think.

CReaper210
03-23-2013, 11:18 AM
I use a keyboard. I bought a gaming keyboard for my PC and I now have my old keyboard I used to use with it before connected to my Xbox.

twnanno
03-23-2013, 11:29 AM
i ve had a chat pad stuck in my locker since i stopped playing final fantasy online a few years bck .glad i will b able to get some use from it again .

Alzan
03-23-2013, 11:30 AM
press enter, on whatever keyboard you are using.

Oh, wow, I'm stupid. Can't believe I didn't think of that. xD

Roeh
03-23-2013, 11:31 AM
I got my chatpad when I was playing FFXI on the 360 and I love it. As for Voice, sure its great and the mic is always live in group mission but for the open world when you are aroumd people not in your party the chatpad is a good option.

Wolf
03-23-2013, 12:27 PM
I picked up one of those chatpads when they came out years ago. Might actually get some use out of it now.

ShadowStrider 7
03-23-2013, 12:28 PM
$30.00 for a chatpad.
$8.00 for a keyboard.
Easy choice.

A Quarter Chubb
03-23-2013, 01:09 PM
See if I stick the wireless usb detector thing in my xbox. How will I get it out. It is tiny and fits right in the hole.

use pliars or stick it in the usb slot in the back of the xbox

KyoKunChan
03-23-2013, 01:17 PM
KeyBoard works fine for me.

Dunnomatic
03-23-2013, 01:47 PM
Chatpad comes with a headset. :)

I'm not saying not to voice chat. just saying, having a keyboard as well is a good thing. won't always have voice chat, I don't think.

Thats true. I forgot you can but the kit for 30$ and get both. You can even use that setup all at the same time if you want. Which is one downside to my X400 Turtle Beaches. The puck cant plug into the pad.

MagellanD
03-23-2013, 10:05 PM
Nobody is typing or communicating :(

I ran around the crash site for about 20 minutes trying GIVE a bio grenade away. I wanted to test and see the trade system. Nobody wanted to trade and ignored all requests and didn't type back.

I gave feedback in the game. It's quite silly that you have to select the full chat window, then press "A" to bring up another window to type. You also can't use punctuation in that window but you can in the beta feedback text entry screens.

I use a chat pad have had it for a long time.

Madkatz24
03-23-2013, 10:07 PM
I was gonna say. in some the other threads they said the full game supports proximity voice chat, and will have options for parties

Ahza
03-23-2013, 10:08 PM
Yea i find it kinda odd we need to open two chat windows too..

A s0t
03-23-2013, 10:14 PM
Nobody is typing or communicating :(

I ran around the crash site for about 20 minutes trying GIVE a bio grenade away. I wanted to test and see the trade system. Nobody wanted to trade and ignored all requests and didn't type back.

I gave feedback in the game. It's quite silly that you have to select the full chat window, then press "A" to bring up another window to type. You also can't use punctuation in that window but you can in the beta feedback text entry screens.

I use a chat pad have had it for a long time.
A S0T gamer tag xbl drop me a party invite for the trades

SCOTTLE
03-23-2013, 11:14 PM
i'd like backlit..where should get one?

duction
03-24-2013, 01:21 AM
Yup I also asked them about the open 2 windows just to type a message...

They need to make txt chat faster and easier if they want good communication in this game.. It's so important in a mmo game!

MR_CHEWYNumNums
03-24-2013, 03:19 AM
I have a USB keyboard and I could get a chat pad...but why do that when if you have a smartphone or tablet, Smartglass works just fine. I may be assuming that smartphones are common place now (due to very cheap prepaid and non-contract services) but I would think Smartglass and a touch device would be the trending option.

Lazy
03-24-2013, 04:00 AM
If you use a USB keyboard all you have to do to open the chat window is press enter, then you can instantly type.. Might want to see if you can do that with the chat pad.

OcelotKharn
03-24-2013, 04:01 AM
I have a full keyboard and so far Ive seen only one other person use the chat and that was my brother

Quebra Regra
03-24-2013, 05:50 AM
I was gonna say. in some the other threads they said the full game supports proximity voice chat, and will have options for parties

It's 2013, if this game doesn't fully support chat options then it's FAIL right outta the box. This is not the launch of WOW.