PDA

View Full Version : I figured something out

juggalojames07
05-25-2013, 08:48 PM
So it finally hit me...why is it there are people that claim they hate the game in general, devs, or patches and still stick around on the forums? They want to ruin the game for others or the actually like the game but they aren't or weren't loved enough as a kid and this is how they express affection towards what they love.

I want to know from actual trolls though since this will flood with them anyways. So tell me and the many others that stand by what they enjoy. What childhood memory are you running from. :)

Let me be your Dr. Phil.

CozyMilk
05-25-2013, 08:57 PM
Calling all trolls, calling all trolls!

juggalojames07
05-25-2013, 09:05 PM
Come on people, I'm staying up late to discuss you. So no need to be shy, i stay true to the doctor confidentiality.

Myst
05-25-2013, 09:06 PM
I don't like Dr. Phil, some people just want to see where the game might be headed given that it is an MMO some perhaps are hoping for a 180 to happen or something. Others maybe they just get a kick out of it.

juggalojames07
05-25-2013, 09:15 PM
I don't like Dr. Phil, some people just want to see where the game might be headed given that it is an MMO some perhaps are hoping for a 180 to happen or something. Others maybe they just get a kick out of it.

Ah I see and how does this make you feel.

Myst
05-25-2013, 09:18 PM
Ah I see and how does this make you feel.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IHWKU9V1lA

Perhaps Happy?

Schwa
05-25-2013, 09:24 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPiM2a3IIjw

ghost_ol3a
05-25-2013, 09:28 PM
So it finally hit me...why is it there are people that claim they hate the game in general, devs, or patches and still stick around on the forums? They want to ruin the game for others or the actually like the game but they aren't or weren't loved enough as a kid and this is how they express affection towards what they love.

I want to know from actual trolls though since this will flood with them anyways. So tell me and the many others that stand by what they enjoy. What childhood memory are you running from. :)

Let me be your Dr. Phil.

** hands you doll**
where did the troll touch you?

EdgeTW
05-25-2013, 09:29 PM

Let me be your Dr. Phil.

After reading this, I'm trying to figure out something too. See if you can guess what.

juggalojames07
05-25-2013, 09:52 PM
Please people one at a time. I'll try to catch up anyways. Ghost the doll didn't touch me, but the compassion I have for you people is the reason why I'm working late tonight ;)

Edge: guessing games are silly but I supposs since it follows my line of work here. Is it where did I get my degree and can you join? The answer is at Top Notch Toolworks and idk can you

ghost_ol3a
05-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Please people one at a time. I'll try to catch up anyways. Ghost the doll didn't touch me, but the compassion I have for you people is the reason why I'm working late tonight ;)

Edge: guessing games are silly but I supposs since it follows my line of work here. Is it where did I get my degree and can you join? The answer is at Top Notch Toolworks and idk can you

ha well i hope the doll didnt touch you.
if you think im a troll maybe you should read my post doc

Doomsaw
05-25-2013, 10:21 PM
It's a super common reaction.

Players who are frustrated with the game hit a wall where they start to enter a mourning cycle.

Making angry posts on the forums is stage 2 of the process.

Here's an explanation of the stages of loss:

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/the-5-stages-of-loss-and-grief/

CozyMilk
05-25-2013, 10:22 PM
It's a super common reaction.

Players who are frustrated with the game hit a wall where they start to enter a mourning cycle.

Making angry posts on the forums is stage 2 of the process.

Here's an explanation of the stages of loss:

http://psychcentral.com/lib/2006/the-5-stages-of-loss-and-grief/

Yes, yes, i am beginning to understand. Now tell me, how does this make you feel as an individual posting within these forums?

EdgeTW
05-25-2013, 10:32 PM

Sure, that's totally what I was wondering.

jackdaws_1999
05-25-2013, 10:40 PM
Im just a very angry person... :mad:
seriously, I get angry at EVERYTHING... :mad: :mad:
even being angry makes me angry... :mad: :mad: :mad:
I even hate people who use Caps to make a Statement sound more Important.

I even get angry at smiley faces! :mad:

I get angry when I talk, I get angry when I walk, I get angry when I sleep, and damned Im angry when I *bleep*.

I hate it when people ask me how Im feeling, I get angry when people dont... I walk into book shops and ask people for the book on "How to deal with the homicidal urges from being told that a bookshop doesnt have the book I want". I even shout at the tv. I hate people who repeat themselves. I even shout at the tv.

I get angry at the thought of a game being broken, I get angry when the developers fix problems I liked.

I get angry at people complaining, I pisses me off, why do people complain? whats there to damn well complain about... damm people filling up the air with their damn complaints... quit complaining... damn people.

I hate people asking stupid questions... like "why did they do that?" cause they just do damnit! Gods why do they do that?!

I even hate people who make really long drawn out posts on forums for no other reason than they are bored waiting for the servers to get online!!!

I hate people who use multiple ! marks!!!

I even get angry at the tv!

... oh wait I can stop typing now... the servers are back on ;)

Doomsaw
05-25-2013, 10:46 PM
Yes, yes, i am beginning to understand. Now tell me, how does this make you feel as an individual posting within these forums?

Personally it makes me feel cute.

jackdaws_1999
05-25-2013, 10:56 PM
Personally it makes me feel cute.

Cute things make me really angry!

Doomsaw
05-25-2013, 10:57 PM
Cute things make me really angry!

:(

10char

jackdaws_1999
05-25-2013, 11:19 PM
:(

Noooo! I dont mean you! damnit now I feel guilty... feeling guilty makes me angry!

Its a good job I havent been injected with and exposed to lots of radiation, otherwise I would be angry at that too... and green... green makes me angry

#edit typos make me reilly andry

#Edit Editing posts because the website doesnt like me not using enough characters Makes me REALLY angry!

###edit using #edits makes me quite chilled actually

Sanguinesun
05-25-2013, 11:23 PM
To me the questions posed by the OP can be, after his own self reflection, answered by himself. :P

DejaVooDoo
05-25-2013, 11:25 PM
Have you considered that some of use love certain things about the game but hate the fact the so many other aspects of the game are laughably below the industry standard? For example, I find the gunplay to be exceptionally satisfying. The mechanics are strong. The crit system is well-executed. The main mission story, and its pacing, are quite good. The co-op missions are very well done. Really, two sentences for this, because they are an absolute standout feature. And on top of that, we have a freaking MMO on consoles! Not just an MMO, an MMO shooter! How fantastic is that?

But then we find that literally everything else about this game is below industry standard. The loot, salvage, EGO, faction, economic, clan, weapon mod, etc. systems are all fundamentally deficient. It's not that these systems aren't perfect, it's that their underlying logic is dysfunctional. These problems are even more frustrating because they have already been solved. Similar versions of all of these systems have existed for years in other games. Competent development teams know how to implement them. Not only that, competent developers know how to build their systems in a way that allows them to easily make tweaks and fixes. They know that no matter what they build, it will need tweaking, so they build the system in a way that facilitates that. This developer did not bother to do that.

So instead of assuming every "rage" thread is an attempt to ruin the game for others or take Trion down out of spite, consider that maybe we love the game just as much as you. Consider that we see what this game could have been. Consider that we see the potential bursting out of every corner. Consider that we're deeply disappointed that this development team has been so severely mismanaged that defiance seems unlikely to even approach its potential. Consider that we've seen other developers handle similar problems better, and wonder why trion can't manage the same. Consider that we've played other games where the (what are here called) Community Managers were much more knowledgeable about their game, more active on the forums, and more engaged with their customers.

Schwa
05-25-2013, 11:31 PM
Have you considered that some of use love certain things about the game but hate the fact the so many other aspects of the game are laughably below the industry standard? For example, I find the gunplay to be exceptionally satisfying. The mechanics are strong. The crit system is well-executed. The main mission story, and its pacing, are quite good. The co-op missions are very well done. Really, two sentences for this, because they are an absolute standout feature. And on top of that, we have a freaking MMO on consoles! Not just an MMO, an MMO shooter! How fantastic is that?

But then we find that literally everything else about this game is below industry standard. The loot, salvage, EGO, faction, economic, clan, weapon mod, etc. systems are all fundamentally deficient. It's not that these systems aren't perfect, it's that their underlying logic is dysfunctional. These problems are even more frustrating because they have already been solved. Similar versions of all of these systems have existed for years in other games. Competent development teams know how to implement them. Not only that, competent developers know how to build their systems in a way that allows them to easily make tweaks and fixes. They know that no matter what they build, it will need tweaking, so they build the system in a way that facilitates that. This developer did not bother to do that.

So instead of assuming every "rage" thread is an attempt to ruin the game for others or take Trion down out of spite, consider that maybe we love the game just as much as you. Consider that we see what this game could have been. Consider that we see the potential bursting out of every corner. Consider that we're deeply disappointed that this development team has been so severely mismanaged that defiance seems unlikely to even approach its potential. Consider that we've seen other developers handle similar problems better, and wonder why trion can't manage the same. Consider that we've played other games where the (what are here called) Community Managers were much more knowledgeable about their game, more active on the forums, and more engaged with their customers.

You posted in cleanly-constructed paragraphs. They can't handle that.

Moa
05-25-2013, 11:51 PM
Same thing happened with DC Universe when it came out on the PS3. People love to hate and want others to join them, I guess the thought of others having fun with a game that they hate bugs them?

I see threads of people getting rid of the game because it's "broken" only to come back on these boards and ask for updates.

Hilarious.

john epps
05-26-2013, 12:01 AM
99% of the time, trolls troll for fun.

I am a troll

I plan on trolling in the future

I do it for fun

But I do get defensive about this game.

But also, I was late to the bandwagon and bought this game 6 days ago, so all these "nerfs" and "glitches" have no effect on me, so I ****ing love this game.

Also I am a troll that knows when and when not to troll. A key element to successful trolling.

Biznatchio
05-26-2013, 12:25 AM
Dr Phil is light in the loafers - is this your twisted way of coming out?

aspekx
05-26-2013, 12:47 AM
You posted in cleanly-constructed paragraphs. They can't handle that.

and i think this is true even of players like myself who came in only on the free weekend. this game has some absolutely perfect aspects to it and then it doesnt have the most basic things like storage outside of your inventory, harvesting, crafting, or really *any* other activity outside of shooting bugs and raiders.

some people want so badly to see something they like succeed that they will at times criticize it. sometimes in hope of change, but often even then, in the knowledge and the incredible frustration of realizing nothing will come of it.

BigO518
05-26-2013, 01:00 AM

Props to you for posting this, it's very true and right to the heart of the matter.

diggergig
05-26-2013, 01:06 AM
I'm sad. I have low standards. I need help.

Bwah, seriously though, can't argue with any of the constructive crits. I really, really do think they over-reached themselves here, and let the concept run away from them. This game, more than any other, makes me think of the conceptually perfect but utterly flawed FRIDAY THE 13TH by DOMARK back in the 80's.

A case of great ideas let down by the developmental infrastructure.

(I hope to be proved wrong though. I intend to keep playing, and keep hoping the DLC will go some way to make things better...)