PDA

View Full Version : Whats The Status Of Defiance As Of Now/Today?

CharmCitysKing
05-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Well its going on 2 months, I quit the game and sold my copy last month just because I didnt want to play a broken game and I needed the money at the time. I didnt loose faith because I thought the game would be fixed soon...I am writing this to check up on the status of the game. Is the game re-purchasable? I said I would rebuy the game once its fixed, and some new missions have been released and the game has been made more replayable. I said I was gona wait till the 1st DLC has been released to make that decision. Has the DLC been released yet? Also, how is the show impacted the game BESIDES those Weekly Persuits? Because that doesnt count. I know the ratings on the tv show are doing TERRIBLE. Everyone of my friends who watched it in the beginning forgot the show even existed already llol...I still watch it...But the show doesnt seem like there is a solid plot ever...Every episode has one problem it faces each show. Then it gets worked out during the last 20 minutes of the show. Have there been ANY Episode missions yet?
Let me know how this are going...I WANT UN BIASED and NO FAN BOY oppinions...and trust me Ill know...because when I left the game was 90% failed. and now with GTA 5 approcahing as well as other summer hits as well as Xbox One, does anyone see any future potential for this game? They said there were gona be 5 DLCs released before the season ended, yet here we are halfway through season 1 and I dont even think 1 DLC has been released. Hmmm...I dunno. Ive been playing Halo 4 STILL and 343i updates there game EVERY MONDAY...(atleast you have something to look foward to every monday on there game ) They listened to the community and delivered. Does Trion do the same?
Ive also noticed that the Developer Interaction with the community via Twitter and Forums has almost Disintegrated. What happend? They were non stop keeping us updated...ATLEAST 1 tweet from them about the status of the game every few hours.....
And one last thing....the servers still crashing and people still having log in issues like it was on day 1?

Look foward to some GOOD HONEST feedback and NO TROLLING, BASHING, FLAMING PLEASE.

CozyMilk
05-25-2013, 10:02 PM
Honestly, there has been small changes that have certainly improved the game, for me at least, again, minor. The dlc is not out. If you played the game the first month, then you are going to see basically the same game now, just with minor updates, along with a big list of nerfs. If you are expecting to come back a month later to a completely different game, then you will be disappointed.

Warlander
05-25-2013, 10:08 PM
Core game is still fun, too bad every patch adds more bugs than it fixes, and they nerf things for no reason, i would wait another month, maybe a few. right now its a mess.

ghost_ol3a
05-25-2013, 10:08 PM
yeah sum minor changes. nothing to write home about. oh wait, capture and hold is back. but thats about it

jackdaws_1999
05-25-2013, 10:18 PM
For me, about 50% of the main issues I had with the game at the start are fixed "Yey!"... but 50% of the issues still remain... or have had new ones arrise "Boo!". I would say that its quite alot improved, regardless of nerfs and slight annoyances. However there is still a way to go. I still get disconnected randomly (I rekon this is a server side memory leak as its usually after several hours of gaming), there are still issues with co-op, and most importantly....

I Still Cant Play With My American Buddys!!!

However, the salvage matrix no-longer eats my guns randomly, I can fast travel without loosing my hud, I can play the co-op maps (unless there is like a million people all trying to play the same one), I can get into a clan, Chat Works, I can trade stuff, I dont have (many) enemies that are unkillable, I can stay in the same game as my friends without constantly having to "Join their damned phase"... and most importantly I can actually get on the damned game and play it!

On the whole, the devs have fixed a lot of stuff, its all been small, and incremental. But at least when they say they are fixing things they are... unlike cod. Oh and you should read up on how the dlc is being delivered.... its definetly... different.

Basically, If your in it mainly for co-op, then go buy it, if your in it mainly for PVE, go buy it. But, if your big into your PvP.... wait a while.

I like co-op and PvE, so Im happy I stuck with it. Hell I still get a kick out of 150+ people driving from one arkfall crystal to another, all jumping over hills, all flowing like a river into a lake. I even got on one today with over 500 people at it, I could see all the people there, and let me tell you watching 70+ people get smashed into the air is freaking awesome!

In short, fixed in some ways, still broken in others, a long way to go, but definetly playable.

Doomsaw
05-25-2013, 10:48 PM
The base game engine is a well-done shooter engine. (Note the engine used was purchased from another company - Havok)

Everything that was built on top of the engine is pretty buggy and the game systems are surprisingly poorly designed/implemented compared to most modern games.

DejaVooDoo
05-25-2013, 10:52 PM
it's halfway to almost kinda sorta being a good approximation of what it ought to be.

basically, it's made some progress.

Ensu
05-25-2013, 10:52 PM
A little bit more content, many bug fixes, the larger pvp map freight yard's back (and great fun). Servers have been running like a dream, no crashes, no lost items.

That's from the PC experience, mind. I've no idea what the xbox is like at the moment.

Sanguinesun
05-25-2013, 11:18 PM
Well its going on 2 months, I quit the game and sold my copy last month just because I didnt want to play a broken game and I needed the money at the time. I didnt loose faith because I thought the game would be fixed soon...I am writing this to check up on the status of the game. Is the game re-purchasable? I said I would rebuy the game once its fixed, and some new missions have been released and the game has been made more replayable. I said I was gona wait till the 1st DLC has been released to make that decision. Has the DLC been released yet? Also, how is the show impacted the game BESIDES those Weekly Persuits? Because that doesnt count. I know the ratings on the tv show are doing TERRIBLE. Everyone of my friends who watched it in the beginning forgot the show even existed already llol...I still watch it...But the show doesnt seem like there is a solid plot ever...Every episode has one problem it faces each show. Then it gets worked out during the last 20 minutes of the show. Have there been ANY Episode missions yet?
Let me know how this are going...I WANT UN BIASED and NO FAN BOY oppinions...and trust me Ill know...because when I left the game was 90% failed. and now with GTA 5 approcahing as well as other summer hits as well as Xbox One, does anyone see any future potential for this game? They said there were gona be 5 DLCs released before the season ended, yet here we are halfway through season 1 and I dont even think 1 DLC has been released. Hmmm...I dunno. Ive been playing Halo 4 STILL and 343i updates there game EVERY MONDAY...(atleast you have something to look foward to every monday on there game ) They listened to the community and delivered. Does Trion do the same?
Ive also noticed that the Developer Interaction with the community via Twitter and Forums has almost Disintegrated. What happend? They were non stop keeping us updated...ATLEAST 1 tweet from them about the status of the game every few hours.....
And one last thing....the servers still crashing and people still having log in issues like it was on day 1?

Look foward to some GOOD HONEST feedback and NO TROLLING, BASHING, FLAMING PLEASE.

Was horrible trying to read through that block but I'll try to answer your questions.

1. Repurchasable? I dont see why it wouldnt be.
2. No DLC yet. They're still having significant problems rolling out content.
3. Show's impact on the game has been very minimal, per 2 and per their definition of "impact". It has been disappointing for many. New pursuits arent even weekly now in "new content". They're already recycling the pre show launch missions(the gem stealing one) as a filler while the show is on a 2 week hiatus due to the holiday).
4. Dont judge a game on potential. That's the current exploitation of gamers by the industry. Judge it on what is delivered(or not).
5. No Trion is not doing the same as Halo.
6. Disentigration? Layoff notices, vacation for the community director for a week, pneumonia for another community manager, etc etc. Mainly though other than that they've been doing the same as they were before in PR. Take that for what its worth. They also dont exclusively tweet. Reddit, their 3 days a week twitch game play and discussion shows, etc etc.
7. Not like day one but still issues. Last patch had a 15 hour down time due to bugs they didnt catch in QA and then they've had another maint the next day for a bit to further resolve things. Things still happen in these manners and Im pretty sure it'll continue that way.

thunderwolf
05-25-2013, 11:22 PM
The game is going down hill fast they all ready cut the price of the game from 10 to 20 bucks = not a good sign giving free trials only 2 months out = not a good sign the company is not in good shape, layoffs rift going free. i have all ready told my friends to stay far away from this game till its free to down load and play any more than that is to much in the state its in.

CozyMilk
05-25-2013, 11:23 PM
The game is going down hill fast they all ready cut the price of the game from 10 to 20 bucks = not a good sign giving free trials only 2 months out = not a good sign the company is not in good shape, layoffs rift going free. i have all ready told my friends to stay far away from this game till its free to down load and play any more than that is to much in the state its in.

Cut the game from 10 to 20 bucks? Lol

TurboSquid
05-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Let's put it this way; the poop pile sitting on top of Trion is slowly being eaten away by the flies.

Zabuza
05-25-2013, 11:39 PM
http://goodgamery.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Wall_Of_Text_xerent.jpg

Moa
05-25-2013, 11:44 PM
Well its going on 2 months, I quit the game and sold my copy last month just because I didnt want to play a broken game and I needed the money at the time. I am writing this to check up on the status of the game.

Should've never got rid of it and you could've checked for yourself. Game is better than when it came out but don't waste your time repurchasing it because I'm sure your still going to find a reason to say it's a broken game.

Biznatchio
05-25-2013, 11:45 PM
Let's put it this way; the poop pile sitting on top of Trion is slowly being eaten away by the flies.

The pile makes it easier to feed you those sandwiches they been giving you since the ingredients are close at hand for them.

Schwa
05-25-2013, 11:45 PM
QA is still abysmal; last client patch was around 10 hours of downtime. Until they fix their QA, the service (of which the game is only part) is subpar.

TurboSquid
05-25-2013, 11:52 PM
The pile makes it easier to feed you those sandwiches they been giving you since the ingredients are close at hand for them.

But its all a matter of time before they run out of poop to feed us(the flies).

CharmCitysKing
05-26-2013, 12:05 AM
was horrible trying to read through that block but i'll try to answer your questions.

1. Repurchasable? I dont see why it wouldnt be.
2. No dlc yet. They're still having significant problems rolling out content.
3. Show's impact on the game has been very minimal, per 2 and per their definition of "impact". It has been disappointing for many. New pursuits arent even weekly now in "new content". They're already recycling the pre show launch missions(the gem stealing one) as a filler while the show is on a 2 week hiatus due to the holiday).
4. Dont judge a game on potential. That's the current exploitation of gamers by the industry. Judge it on what is delivered(or not). lmao really?! Thats not the only thing i have judged this game on and has failed like the acting, the end boss being way too op..i never even beat him. Graphics sucked ***, it was beyond bugged and broken, characters getting stuck, missions not completing...i mean the list can go on...this game just reaks of failure and im starting to let go of faith....im still waiting for this "all mighty dlc" thats gonna fix everything as trion makes it sound...lmfao
5. No trion is not doing the same as halo.
6. Disentigration? Layoff notices, vacation for the community director for a week*its been 2 months*, pneumonia for another community manager, etc etc. Mainly though other than that they've been doing the same as they were before in pr. Take that for what its worth. They also dont exclusively tweet. Reddit, their 3 days a week twitch game play and discussion shows, etc etc.oh come on!!!! Lmfao!!! Really??? Thats nothing but a bunch of b.s. Hahahah
7. Not like day one but still issues. Last patch had a 15 hour down time due to bugs they didnt catch in qa and then they've had another maint the next day for a bit to further resolve things. Things still happen in these manners and im pretty sure it'll continue that way.

read replies in post

A s0t
05-26-2013, 12:13 AM
oh it's you your always bashing on defiance and yet you still go into the forums: they nerfed the cars now and an a few weeks there will be seiges

Biznatchio
05-26-2013, 12:22 AM
But its all a matter of time before they run out of poop to feed us(the flies).

It'll get more fragrant before they run out I think.

Schwa
05-26-2013, 12:23 AM
oh it's you your always bashing on defiance and yet you still go into the forums: they nerfed the cars now and an a few weeks there will be seiges

Trion should thank him for not completely giving up.

Sanguinesun
05-26-2013, 12:49 AM
QA is still abysmal; last client patch was around 10 hours of downtime. Until they fix their QA, the service (of which the game is only part) is subpar.

Schwa, its not QA its much higher up the food chain. Case in point is how we in alpha reported all manner of issues for months before launch and they still made the choice to not clean up those issues but instead focus priority on other features (as one example the cash shop etc). It is their model and higher ups decisions on implementation schedules and triage order that is more prevalent an issue.

Sanguinesun
05-26-2013, 01:07 AM
Response 1.

lmao really?! Thats not the only thing i have judged this game on and has failed like the acting, the end boss being way too op..i never even beat him. Graphics sucked ***, it was beyond bugged and broken, characters getting stuck, missions not completing...i mean the list can go on...this game just reaks of failure and im starting to let go of faith....im still waiting for this "all mighty dlc" thats gonna fix everything as trion makes it sound...lmfao

Response 2.
oh come on!!!! Lmfao!!! Really??? Thats nothing but a bunch of b.s. Hahahah

1. His question and context of sentences around the question was in regards to potential/future of the game. The warning was to ignore what they say and judge it only by what they do. What you took from was that I was being an apologist for the game when in fact I was being the entire opposite: If you do judge the game on what it delivered(or hasnt) then you most certainly lean into the steering clear of the game column. You contradict yourself as well on the saying that you're losing faith. The whole point is that you shouldnt make the judgements based on faith. Game industry loves those folks because they tend to be the easiest to exploit.

And by the way many of us beat Nim at under 300 EGO. Your failing to beat him reflects more on you than the game. A small point but just saying.

2. The OP asked for why there was less(ie disintegration) from the community reps. I explained some of it but I was also implying that overall its been about the same(read that as not necessarily substantial/transparent). His focus was on what was spoken on via twitter solely as well to which I explained that there were other media forms they were using more since release in focus as opposed to the reps various twitter accounts. Most of the information they have churned out at times as well has been mostly spin or vapid things like soon, x coming, z plans, etc.... all "potential" related things. Or worse Richardsson's blog posts that pretty much were exercises in patronizing readers.

The real BS is in that.. not in explaining the truth of Lance having pneumonia or Tobey swimming with manta rays last week in Hawaii. Main point just seemed a bit hard for you to get like Nim was :P

Schwa
05-26-2013, 01:25 AM
Schwa, its not QA its much higher up the food chain. Case in point is how we in alpha reported all manner of issues for months before launch and they still made the choice to not clean up those issues but instead focus priority on other features (as one example the cash shop etc). It is their model and higher ups decisions on implementation schedules and triage order that is more prevalent an issue.

This may be. I'm only able to point at one specific critical problem (poor QA). As "higher-ups" are higher-up, they naturally are responsible for the systematic failure of QA in Defiance.

Until QA is fixed, quite literally nothing else Trion does matters. They'll hemorrhage players each patch, even if it doubles the terrain.

If it is, technically, impossible to assure quality (within a small margin) then there is no way to salvage Defiance. The end, nice little bow. Goodbye, Trion.

Kronik
05-26-2013, 01:35 AM
Microsofts excited op is the ONE guy whos gonna buy the new xbox.

marshy
05-26-2013, 01:36 AM
The game still runs the same as day 1 despite having loads of patches. The player numbers on the EU server at peak time empty there not attracting many new players and the gamers they had from day one are leaving fast. No new content if your ego is 2000+ there's nothing for you to do apart from some pointless pursuits. Is there mind on this game prob not coz there making no money from it

zzzornbringer
05-26-2013, 02:01 AM
the game still is what it is. it's fun. as far as i'm concerned it's the only real (proper) third person shooter mmo out there. can't complain about content but every mission is basicly the same. you shoot dudes in the face and press the "E" button (or something on your controller). something other than this would be neat. like, crafting and stuff. pvp? havn't touched this yet. not a fan of getting shot by invisible players. ark falls and coop missions are still a lot of fun, if you don't do 10 of 'em per day.

show seems to do fine. havn't watched it yet, but a second season is on the horizon which means, it is in fact doing fine.

i don't understand the concept of selling and re-purchasing though. don't you get a double minus in your wallet? but, i would recommened you buy this game again if you're into mmo's. if not, any other shooter will do just fine for you. it's really just the mmo aspect that makes defiance awsome. the fun of shooting dudes in the face can be experienced with a lot of other shooter games but only defiance has the massive scale.

edit: oh, and on the pc it's doing just fine. it currently has a free weekend on steam and got a 30% discount. don't believe those narrow minded fools that claim, players leave the game. don't know about the consoles but on the PC there are weekend sales and stuff that attract new players. currently the game has a new peak on the PC and it actually got back on the list of steam's top selling games. (btw. steam is not even required, so there are a lot more PC players than steam displays.)

Sanguinesun
05-26-2013, 02:08 AM
This may be. I'm only able to point at one specific critical problem (poor QA). As "higher-ups" are higher-up, they naturally are responsible for the systematic failure of QA in Defiance.

Until QA is fixed, quite literally nothing else Trion does matters. They'll hemorrhage players each patch, even if it doubles the terrain.

If it is, technically, impossible to assure quality (within a small margin) then there is no way to salvage Defiance. The end, nice little bow. Goodbye, Trion.

I guess the main point Im trying to make is that at present, QA is perhaps finding the bugs, but the higher up are making the decision to ignore what they find until after it has been pushed live and then making the decision to let the chips fall as they may otherwise(ie they made their prescriptive deadline and now can retroly fix the problem). Im using this as a valid possibility since we found so many issues in alpha, reported it and how it can be repeated, and it wasnt fixed or changed until after launch or even still now.

Since we know this was true to have happened in alpha, then the step to believing this is happening as well with the QA department is pretty compelling. This means that its not their department that is the main one that should be accountable, but the falls in the lap of accountability of someone along the lines of Richardsson, the producer.

Schwa
05-26-2013, 02:11 AM
I guess the main point Im trying to make is that at present, QA is perhaps finding the bugs, but the higher up are making the decision to ignore what they find until after it has been pushed live and then making the decision to let the chips fall as they may otherwise(ie they made their prescriptive deadline and now can retroly fix the problem). Im using this as a valid possibility since we found so many issues in alpha, reported it and how it can be repeated, and it wasnt fixed or changed until after launch or even still now.

Since we know this was true to have happened in alpha, then the step to believing this is happening as well with the QA department is pretty compelling. This means that its not their department that is the main one that should be accountable, but the falls in the lap of accountability of someone along the lines of Richardsson, the producer.

Even if QA is the direct cause, it always falls on the lap of Richardsson AS Producer.

MacDeath
05-26-2013, 02:40 AM
Even if QA is the direct cause, it always falls on the lap of Richardsson AS Producer.
It's even possible that Defiance QA reports to Richardsson. I have seen companies do it that way and it almost always leads to poor quality. Many times during my years in the valley, we would have a shoot out over if a product/feature was ready to launch. Typically, Development and Marketing would say yes, it's good enough (we can always patch it later) with CS and QA saying it's not good enough (the problems will overload CS, the quality will turn off buyers, etc). If ALL these groups report to the Producer, it's very easy for him to mute the nay sayers and launch. If CS & QA report in at a higher level, the producer needs to defend his GO decision. Mistakes can still be made, it all depends on what the top guys think is more important, Schedule or Quality.

I used to say that our first choice was to ship a quality product on schedule, our second choice was to ship a quality product late, and that there were no other choices! Companies who knowingly ship poor quality to meet schedule will not do well over the long haul if there is even one competitor who holds quality to a higher standard.

BrassRazoo
05-26-2013, 05:21 AM
Trying to understand why what you expect is not being realised from what should be an organised, structured, and well managed environment will always leave you speculating to what is not being done properly or what can be done better.
I can appreciate that every employee, especially in todays current environment, is concerned with one thing, earning a decent living and looking after themselves and their family.
It is a job from start to finish, nothing more, nothing less.
The opinions of your clients are only important to employees that care, and the ones that do care about the individual generally have little say in the running of the organisation.

EDIT: Back on topic, I think the game is rather stable with all pursuits able to be completed and can be a hell of a lot of fun at times. More fixes, enhancements and content are eagerly awaited.

Yokai
05-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Not a fanboy. Pissed at Trion Worlds (and all game publishers, really) for being all about the next quarter's bottom line and how much they can rake in from players in a "cash grab" manner rather than investing in delivering a compelling gameplay experience for the long haul. And pissed at how Trion and all publishers screw over not only the players, but the developers they contract with/fund.

That said, I'm 168 hours into the game and still loving it. I don't log in every day, but I do log in 4-5 times a week and have fun for an hour or so. However, I'm not buying any more outfits with bits until they stop reskinning the same 5 models and actually produce some new models. And their bit prices for lockboxes are way off base; I skoff at those. Finally, the salvage costs when you approach and pass EGO 1000 are so off base that I will NEVER, EVER bother with synergies or modding. I'll just use whatever drops and I can slap on a useful mod for the reasonable cost of just putting a mod on.

And the TV show rocks. The effect of the BSG writing staff on the show becomes apparent by Episode 3 and hasn't let up.

TigrisMorte
05-26-2013, 07:39 AM
read replies in post

point been Their totally missed! has

Gratty
05-26-2013, 08:54 PM
Wait til the release of the first DLC and get a status report of the game then. Patch 1.020 did not give me much hope for this game with it's 15 hours of downtime for only minor changes. They also managed to mess things up... again... We will see how the game is looking when the DLC comes. Cross your fingers everyone.

MikoTan
05-26-2013, 09:32 PM
Hmm... it's.. okay. I used to really like the game but I feel that 1.020's downtime and changes have taken somewhat of a toll. It's great they weakened cars, from a theory standpoint. But I keep running into things that destroy my vehicle before the drawing distance catches up with me.

Snipers seem better now, but that's merely from me killing a few raiders, I haven't extensively tested my many, many rifles.

No offense to trion but i'd wait a bit, see how they perform.

(Note: Still waiting for my final perk to stop disappearing for no reason..)

Gratty
05-26-2013, 09:34 PM
Hmm... it's.. okay. I used to really like the game but I feel that 1.020's downtime and changes have taken somewhat of a toll. It's great they weakened cars, from a theory standpoint. But I keep running into things that destroy my vehicle before the drawing distance catches up with me.

Snipers seem better now, but that's merely from me killing a few raiders, I haven't extensively tested my many, many rifles.

No offense to trion but i'd wait a bit, see how they perform.

(Note: Still waiting for my final perk to stop disappearing for no reason..)

Unless it involves us cutting into their bits profit, we will be waiting a LONG time.