PDA

View Full Version : So I tried the free steam weekend

n4tive
05-26-2013, 07:19 AM
Soo... I finally tried the Defiance Free Steam Weekend. I'm saddened to say that the game is not worth $40.00 much less $60.00. Still needs a lot of tweaking and polishing. Its sad really because I REALLY looked forward to play and buy the game. But at is current state, its not worth the listed price. So I'll pass and wait for the summer sale.

Might buy it at $29.99.

Cheers.

BrassRazoo
05-26-2013, 07:40 AM
For a one time payment of $40 or $60 or whatever, I think you get your moneys worth.
I have paid a lot more money for a game that has barely held my interest for 8 or 10 hours.

Creature
05-26-2013, 07:47 AM
I bought this game when it was 60$ and even though I probably would have much preferred to buy it at its current price of 40$ I have to say this game has held my interest since day 1. I don't play every day, maybe 2 days a week but I feel like I have got my monies worth out of it.

Maranwe
05-26-2013, 07:48 AM
you can buy it for 29.99 if you know where

zzzornbringer
05-26-2013, 07:59 AM
don't want to risk to name one of those online key stores but you can get a copy for 50% retail there. of course, the steam version is better.

Maranwe
05-26-2013, 11:22 AM
don't want to risk to name one of those online key stores but you can get a copy for 50% retail there. of course, the steam version if better.

hm, why is steam version better?

Yars Revenge
05-27-2013, 10:26 AM
The bugs are annoying and sometimes frustrating. But not to the point it seriously impairs the game.

I really enjoy playing Defiance and it has given me many hours of fun.

I'd say many of us have played for over 60 hours. At that rate, the $40 cost is the same as renting Redbox movies.

zzzornbringer
05-27-2013, 11:11 AM
hm, why is steam version better?

it's not actually better per se. you just pay the price you're supposed to pay in your region and not some super cheap eastern europe or asia price.

Yars Revenge
05-27-2013, 11:25 AM
it's not actually better per se. you just pay the price you're supposed to pay in your region and not some super cheap eastern europe or asia price.

So basically Steam is reputable and the other cheaper ones are a big gamble. If you have problems with them, there is absolutely no way to get support or prove you purchased the actual game.

ironhands
05-27-2013, 11:28 AM
So basically Steam is reputable and the other cheaper ones are a big gamble. If you have problems with them, there is absolutely no way to get support or prove you purchased the actual game.

other than a credit card or paypal dispute, not really, but the same is true of Steam, we just know that Steam is usually pretty good about that sort of thing

Whippersnapper
05-27-2013, 11:31 AM
Listen to what you are saying. If the game is not polished enough for you, then what difference would buying it for -$10 make?

"I am willing to play a game I don't like because of X reasons, for -$10 less."

That's just complaining that its too expensive hoping the price drops.

Dyoda
05-27-2013, 08:30 PM
Listen to what you are saying. If the game is not polished enough for you, then what difference would buying it for -$10 make?

"I am willing to play a game I don't like because of X reasons, for -$10 less."

That's just complaining that its too expensive hoping the price drops.

Right on.

Really OP, why not buy this already pretty ****ing decent game and help improve it with the contribution. It won't get polished or expanded without the support of players.

Rasczak
05-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Right on.

Really OP, why not buy this already pretty ****ing decent game and help improve it with the contribution. It won't get polished or expanded without the support of players.

Because Trion is not new at this, and should have released the game in at least a semi-polished state to begin with, or at least been able to roll out patches that at least showed they had a basic clue as to what Quality Assurance is.

As it stands, the Defiance Team has shown themselves to be incapable of handling an MMO.

I have to agree with the OP. For a $60 game, I did not feel it was worth the price. That is a AAA MMO MSRP. Defiance, in my eyes, has not proven itself to be of that level yet. By comparison, The Secret World sells for $30 (or $15 currently at Amazon, as happens in cycles). Defiance is worth about $30 at this point in time to me.

The OP paying $60 for a game he doesn't feel is worth $60, just to help support Trion so that they might, one day, get some idea of how to patch and fix an MMO, is ludicrous. The burden is not on him. The burden is on Trion to show why the game is worth $60. At least as far as that potential customer is concerned (and others I am seeing at different sites), they failed.

But as a fan of Defiance, you can continue to support it and the Dev team. All you have to do is keep buying those Bits. If enough of the players that love the game do that in the right quantity, then no one will have to try to convince people that didn't enjoy the trial to go ahead and buy it anyway to support Trion.

Boo Radley
05-27-2013, 09:04 PM
you people who say that its held yalls interest and have spent time playing this game, i would like to know what exactly yall are doing in this game thats exciting and keeps yalls attention. cuz seriously there isnt anything to do in this game.

Boo Radley
05-27-2013, 09:07 PM
Because Trion is not new at this, and should have released the game in at least a semi-polished state to begin with, or at least been able to roll out patches that at least showed they had a basic clue as to what Quality Assurance is.

As it stands, the Defiance Team has shown themselves to be incapable of handling an MMO.

I have to agree with the OP. For a $60 game, I did not feel it was worth the price. That is a AAA MMO MSRP. Defiance, in my eyes, has not proven itself to be of that level yet. By comparison, The Secret World sells for $30 (or $15 currently at Amazon, as happens in cycles). Defiance is worth about $30 at this point in time to me.

The OP paying $60 for a game he doesn't feel is worth $60, just to help support Trion so that they might, one day, get some idea of how to patch and fix an MMO, is ludicrous. The burden is not on him. The burden is on Trion to show why the game is worth $60. At least as far as that potential customer is concerned (and others I am seeing at different sites), they failed.

But as a fan of Defiance, you can continue to support it and the Dev team. All you have to do is keep buying those Bits. If enough of the players that love the game do that in the right quantity, then no one will have to try to convince people that didn't enjoy the trial to go ahead and buy it anyway to support Trion. _______________

KeevanSixx
05-27-2013, 09:18 PM
you people who say that its held yalls interest and have spent time playing this game, i would like to know what exactly yall are doing in this game thats exciting and keeps yalls attention. cuz seriously there isnt anything to do in this game.

oh, you know....a little of this, a little of that...tickling hellbugs, annoying 99'ers, harassing raiders, chasing arkfalls, searching for a clean towel, hunting for that elusive six legged monkey crawler, jumping ditches, scrapping gear, and looking for the bar....you know....the usual.

Yars Revenge
05-27-2013, 10:28 PM

If you don't believe there is anything to do in this game than there isn't anything I can possibly say to change your mind. Your post isn't a true question, it's a troll move or else you would have left Defiance behind and moved on to whatever great thing you hope to find.

Webferret
05-28-2013, 12:47 AM
For a one time payment of $40 or $60 or whatever, I think you get your moneys worth.
I have paid a lot more money for a game that has barely held my interest for 8 or 10 hours.

Hehe, I paid for an Isometric ARPG which was more than Defiance and "I sure didn't get my moneys worth", Defiance is quite fun, I have cranked 160 hours (So Steam tells me) online in defiance, So yeah I sure got my moneys worth and I bought it at full price when it went live.

Cheers

ironhands
05-28-2013, 07:48 AM

MMO pricing has always been a little strange. IMO, if a game charges a subscription fee, there should be no client cost. If there is a heavily used cash shop bordering on pay-to win, there should be client or subscription fee. A game such as this, with no sub fee, and unimportant cash shop, the client purchase model works well.

As for the initial pricetag, that is certainly what is up for debate, however, stating that it should be cheaper because TSW is cheaper, is pretty ridiculous, considering that TSW wasn't $30 or $15 when it launched. I don't recall the initial cost, but even if it was $29.99 you were also paying a subscription fee, allowing the initial purchase to be lower.

If you don't want to pay $60, you don't have to. You can either a) wait for the price to drop, or b) buy from a 3rd party cheaper. I pre-ordered for $40 and have gotten my moneys worth. Anyone on PC can find it for $40 or less on any given day, relatively easy. Every PC player knows full well that the cost of any given game will be substantially reduced within months of release, if you feel like waiting until a Steam sale, we always know that's an option.

Value is relative, but when a company sets a price, they don't set it to value, they set it to what people will be willing to pay, factoring in the number of people they expect to purchase it, to roughly equate to the cost of producing it.

When we talk about games in the MMO genre, the initial client sales are expected to cover the initial development costs, and hopefully bring in some profit. It is through DLC and cash shop purchases (or subscription fees) that the profit is generally made, once the day-to-day operation costs have been used. This is why it's very easy for a game to transition into the F2P model. Once a game has recovered the initial development costs, and the estimates of cash shop purchases from the influx of new players exceed the average purchases of the client, it's more profitable, and most likely planned for games like TSW, SWTOR, and even Defiance and Rift.

When we buy a game on release, we know that the value is inflated in order to recoup development costs, if we don't want to pay that much, we don't have to, we choose to. Almost every one of us had an opportunity to play this game prior to purchase, most of the people on this forum did purchase the game, and we did so because we want the game to be good.

The fundamental question, isn't really what is the game worth, it's what is it worth to each person. Digital downloads, and the bits shop give us the freedom to follow the Marxist philosophy of "From each according to his ability, to each according to his need"; we can all pay what we feel the game is worth, for the most part. If we feel it's worth more than we paid, we can, if we want to pay under the initial release cost, we can as well. If we still choose to pay less than the current lowest cost I've seen of ~$37, we can wait.

c4l1d3n
05-28-2013, 08:32 AM
Does this game need some work and polish? yes but it is definitely worth the price tag.

Shiva
05-28-2013, 08:36 AM
The Secret World should not be compared to this game in any way. I love both games and even paid for the life-time sub to TSW and don't regret a cent. I played it to death. I paid $60 for this game as a filler waiting for the next big thing and I have become head over heels into it. I have played, according to Steam, 216 hours and still never get bored. PvP, the coop maps, the ark falls, the insane time trials, completing pursuit, fulfilling contracts and just leveling weapons because I love to shoot stuff (and blow stuff up!) makes this a great game with lots to do. Not to mention that the driving in the game is really well executed and just driving around in a vehicle is a kick in the butt.

If you can't find something to do here or don't like the game play that is your preference and no hope to change your mind. But know that I am not alone in loving the game and having a ton of fun playing it.