PDA

View Full Version : Enemies

Von
06-28-2012, 12:04 AM
So far we know of a few of the bad guys you'll face when we play the games Several
trailers have shown us just a few of them.

Raiders. Apparently a mad max type of group. In the concept art of this site, you can
see what a few of them look like.

Cyborg Miner 99ers They are mining the alien orr from around the area. Looks like you
can attack them ever so often.

and of course

The Hellbugs. Big red mean bugs that come in all sizes. They seemed to pop up everywhere
and also connected to Arkfalls.

Wonder who or what else we will run into in the world of Defiance.

Kalbuir
06-28-2012, 03:16 AM
I am expecting to atleast see the following: wild life, both indigenous to the alien qnd human worlds, maybe evthen some crossbred ones :p. PlenTy of thugs again both alien and humans probably at war with eachother.

Then you probably some cultists or other religious zealot like enemies. Then you have your typical failed experiment type of monsters.
And probably a large amount of different droids.

I think those are the most obvious guesses, I hope TRION will suprise us with plenty of other idea's with cool looking art and graphics. So far I think from the little we do know monsters look pretty awesome.

Sorry for the formatting I am on mobile atm.

Kal

Escyos
06-28-2012, 05:24 AM
I'd love a massive underground plant thing with vines that shoot up and grab you and then a large mouth pops out, like a venus fly trap and you have to get help being freed and chop it down. Maybe there could be missions to remove this from someones garden/city.

Cyber
06-28-2012, 06:48 AM
I guess that is the great thing about lore that includes aliens and the terraforming of Earth...it opens up so many possibilities for both enemies and locales. I really do hope that the game includes plenty of dynamic events that involve enemy NPCs attacking player hubs, such as the underground-plant-attacking-a-city idea that Escyos mentioned above.

You guys have already covered the main ideas. I would imagine human raiders or splinter factions, hellbugs (obviously), cyborgs, wildlife, and the Votan will make their appearance as enemies.

Adsinonimous
06-28-2012, 09:00 AM
You guys have pretty much covered most things so all I have to say is I love it when plants are the enemies. They're such an unpredictable opponent as plants have so many defensive devices in real life and added with the alien plants, there could be some awesome flora mythology coming our way.

Aythir
06-28-2012, 09:08 AM
It would be cool if your "guild" or a large group of people could actually take over a NPC encampment that you were able to follow a raider party back to their base. After Encountering a wave/arcfall type event you are able to control the small village for a brief amount of time and able to collect additional resources, loot their armory, or another type of pillaging function that would give you a nice benefit for taking down a raider village.

Von
06-28-2012, 06:38 PM
I do find it interesting that while there are different factions, they do have similar units.
Both the cyborgs and raiders seem to have a tanker character. He acts as a sub boss
for the levels. Basicly big guys with big weapons.

The cyborgs and raiders also have these little guys that run around. They are at less
different from each other. For the cyborgs, the little guys have flame throwers
attached to their hands. So while your sniper next thing you know little guy has set
you on fire. For the raiders, the little guy carries a big shield in front of him making
him alot harder to kill. You either need a powerful weapon or get in behind him.

I guess that's apart of gaming.

TomFallion
06-29-2012, 05:04 AM
I would love to see craetures like in dead space 2 ones that ake over the human body

Adsinonimous
06-29-2012, 08:01 AM
I would love to see craetures like in dead space 2 ones that ake over the human body

At this stage, anything could be a possibility (especially with the lore that allows Trion to have fun with creature design) - This being a shooter, I wonder if they'll have any quick-time events for things like being stuck in the jaw of a hellbug. I'm not a big fan of quicktime events but waggling a stick around isn't an annoyance to me.

Kalbuir
06-29-2012, 08:10 AM
At this stage, anything could be a possibility (especially with the lore that allows Trion to have fun with creature design) - This being a shooter, I wonder if they'll have any quick-time events for things like being stuck in the jaw of a hellbug. I'm not a big fan of quicktime events but waggling a stick around isn't an annoyance to me.

With quicktime you assume those queued movies right? would be interesting to see how that plays out in an MMO. I don't mind that sort of features as long as they are not actual movies and the world doesn't "stop" around you so to say. As a very basic example say a knife animation in a normal shooter (CoD / BF3) as an offensive quicktime event.

But when it goes full cinematic I get the feeling I am playing a dance game where I need to time and coordinate my button clicks :P always makes me feel silly. Especially the multiplayer part of this could be quite hard to implement though.

Adsinonimous
06-29-2012, 09:05 AM
Well, when Tom said about monsters taking over bodies I immediately started to imagine how that might work, but I couldn't think of anything so I thought about a hellbug eating my upper body, for some strange reason.

Then it got me thinking; Like other console games (Not sure if there are any games on the PC like this), there could be monsters that grab you, which then requires you to waggle an analog stick around to defend yourself from being grabbed. (On a PC game you could wiggle the mouse, I suppose).

So yeah, I was more thinking of defensive quick-time events that prevent you from instant death or being thrown across a room, rather than large cinematic quick-time events that you may see in games such as Final Fantasy to kill an epic final boss that is easily messed up and has to be repeated multiple times. (I don't think that would work, somehow) :D

Kalbuir
06-29-2012, 09:46 AM
Well, when Tom said about monsters taking over bodies I immediately started to imagine how that might work, but I couldn't think of anything so I thought about a hellbug eating my upper body, for some strange reason.

Then it got me thinking; Like other console games (Not sure if there are any games on the PC like this), there could be monsters that grab you, which then requires you to waggle an analog stick around to defend yourself from being grabbed. (On a PC game you could wiggle the mouse, I suppose).

So yeah, I was more thinking of defensive quick-time events that prevent you from instant death or being thrown across a room, rather than large cinematic quick-time events that you may see in games such as Final Fantasy to kill an epic final boss that is easily messed up and has to be repeated multiple times. (I don't think that would work, somehow) :D

Yea as far as I can tell we are on the same page, my mind wandered to the long often silly sequences in FF while a movie was just playing and you'd be queued basically to click continue in 10 different ways. There are a few PC games which do similiar stuff to some extend the most silly one would be some of the "movies / scenes" in the force unleashed series some of those are well done aswell but majority is "click to continue".

What you describe however is different it's about actually having to react to a move the A.I. in the game makes. Which could make things quite a bit more interesting, don't think it's been done before in an MMO can't even think of a proper implementation on PC tbh. Still nice idea.

Kal

Adsinonimous
07-02-2012, 12:12 PM
Speaking about A.I. - For the most part, lots of the gameplay footage that has come from E3 has shown quite intelligent A.I. which is awesome. - Anyway, diverting a little from the topic, I wonder if looting will be tied in with the enemy itself or will be random. I'm not talking about loot like in MMORPGs, where you will loot the fangs and hide of a specific beast... I'm on about the weapons. Will enemies drop their weapons which they were using to try and kill you with their level or do you think that they will just drop other items which they do not use.

Of course, there could be a system where enemies do not drop weapons at all. Instead, they could drop parts of their weapons or parts of other gear. So in order to get weapons you will need to construct them or purchase them from a city.

Hmm, I'm not sure about this one. What are your thoughts?

Kalbuir
07-02-2012, 01:14 PM
Speaking about A.I. - For the most part, lots of the gameplay footage that has come from E3 has shown quite intelligent A.I. which is awesome. - Anyway, diverting a little from the topic, I wonder if looting will be tied in with the enemy itself or will be random. I'm not talking about loot like in MMORPGs, where you will loot the fangs and hide of a specific beast... I'm on about the weapons. Will enemies drop their weapons which they were using to try and kill you with their level or do you think that they will just drop other items which they do not use.

Of course, there could be a system where enemies do not drop weapons at all. Instead, they could drop parts of their weapons or parts of other gear. So in order to get weapons you will need to construct them or purchase them from a city.

Hmm, I'm not sure about this one. What are your thoughts?

Personally I would love it if they go the MMO way and have loot tables specific to area's. I am pretty sure bosses will drop specific weapons though. That interview / gameplay footage from E3 kinda hinted at that as well.

At the very least I hope that bosses drop unique weapons, however I would also be extremely happy if crafting plays a big role in weapon creation / modification.

Aythir
07-03-2012, 09:01 AM
It would be very nice if they went that route and made them drop their weapons that they were using. Being a different species I'm sure the ergonomic factors are not the same so we would take it apart and then use the parts to create our own versions or types of weapons. So the killing of say one type of mob that uses flamethrowers would not grant us a flamethrower drop we could equip, we would have to take it for parts and then craft it with a bit of human flavor to make a weapon type, maybe its another larger flamethrower or a launcher that shoots napalm blobs to make AoE fire.

Killing the mobs for their parts would give us another means of crafting. For different level mobs maybe the high end flamethrower you want requires a trigger mechanism from some medium range mob, you could either go back and visit that area or go to the Auction House. Just a thought, not sure how much people would enjoy stuff like that.

Von
07-04-2012, 11:27 PM
In one of the videos, it shows an assalt on a cyborg mine. After the final battle,
a rifle was found. It was called "The Claim Jumper". It looked like a assalt rilfe
with a very good scope on it. I think it was dropped by the boss but not sure.
It sorta looks like the rilfe the cyborgs were using not sure.

It's hard to tell what type of loot it was that the enemies were droping in
the videos I've seen. I kept thinking it was mainly ammo.

I've notice there are alot of giant size characters besides the hellbugs. At the
end of a underground mine raid demo, you run into this giant. The demo
cut out right when it yells at you. I can only imagine how hard it would be to
take those things down.

urwifemykids
07-05-2012, 01:22 PM
It would be cool if your "guild" or a large group of people could actually take over a NPC encampment that you were able to follow a raider party back to their base. After Encountering a wave/arcfall type event you are able to control the small village for a brief amount of time and able to collect additional resources, loot their armory, or another type of pillaging function that would give you a nice benefit for taking down a raider village.
this is one hell of a good idea and something i know my guild would do. you should be able to hold it as long as you can and other guilds could try to take it and the npc could try to come back and take it. i like where your heads at on this.

Arkamenitas
07-14-2012, 02:29 PM
quicktime events... *shudders*