PDA

View Full Version : Cash shop - What should be added?

Zertael
05-27-2013, 10:10 AM
I reloaded my prepay card yesterday, which is basically my budget for buying silly things online. I logged in today and pulled up the cash shop, looked around...and then closed it. Lets go down the list.

Boosts - I giggle at these. Yay, 10%. I wonder how many I'd have to use over time to even notice the difference. Not that I'm in a hurry to cap out anyway.

Lockboxes - I also giggle at these. I only buy them with keys because there's nothing better to do with them. Never gotten anything even worth using from one.

Vehicles - I use 4 runners, because I hate the sluggish turning and slow acceleration of the other vehicles. My red quest 4 runner is as good as the best one in the cash shop.

Outfits - There are only a few outfits I really like in Defiance...and they are ALL from pursuits.

Headgear - No thank you. I customized my appearance for a reason.

Convenience - Haven't had any problems with inventory space yet, and it's only going up from here whether or not I buy any.

So here I am...extra money to blow, a game I enjoy, and nothing I consider worth buying. I might get some inventory space just as a way to donate, but I don't really have any other incentive to spend money. What could be added to the cash shop to make it more appealing, without screwing up the game?

Things suggested so far

-- weapon skins
-- longer boosters
-- bank space (or some form of inventory management that is not a wall of items)
-- new outfits that are not reskins
-- more headgear that is not full helmets
-- pants options for current female outfits that use short-shorts
-- short-shorts for guys (Who wears SHORT SHORTS... *cough*)
-- a custom fast travel that you can set to a custom location
-- mob look-a-like outfits
-- customizable outfits (choose skins)
-- custom weapon effects
-- emotes (with voice effects)
-- player housing, possibly tied to inventory management
-- race change
-- character makeover
-- name change
-- Clan Housing/Halls
-- dirt bikes

It's also worth noting that there is a sizable number of people in this thread that would like to see more appearance options in general, from new hairstyles to itemized clothing to custom skins and dyes.

ironhands
05-27-2013, 10:24 AM
weapon skins

Zertael
05-27-2013, 10:32 AM
weapon skins

Not a terrible idea. I've seen vehicle skins tossed around as well, but I doubt they would do that since vehicles specifically come in different colors already. I still can't think of anything impressive though.

bman
05-27-2013, 10:34 AM
for me thats a no brainer longer duration for the boosters like 3,7,14,30 day boosters then that way would actually be worth buying bit just to buy them worth it . and maybe even justify me to purchase bits to buy them. with more outfits with actual bonuses for weapons/stats etc .

Zertael
05-27-2013, 10:40 AM
for me thats a no brainer longer duration for the boosters like 3,7,14,30 day boosters then that way would actually be worth buying bit just to buy them worth it . and maybe even justify me to purchase bits to buy them. with more outfits with actual bonuses for weapons/stats etc .

I thought of that when I looked at the shop, but didn't think of it when I made the thread. Yes, 30 day boosters I would consider. (Hey look, an optional subscription that would probably be pretty easy to implement)

Outfits with bonuses...not so much. That would imbalance the game by favoring cash shop buyers.

basis
05-27-2013, 10:41 AM

I'd agree with those. Personally i would like "bank" space. Where i could move items out of my inventory to a static location. Before anyone says "they have +inventory, it's the same thing". NO IT'S NOT. In my inventory i still have to scroll through all the items when I'm selling/salvaging.

Zertael
05-27-2013, 10:44 AM
I'd agree with those. Personally i would like "bank" space. Where i could move items out of my inventory to a static location. Before anyone says "they have +inventory, it's the same thing". NO IT'S NOT. In my inventory i still have to scroll through all the items when I'm selling/salvaging.

I agree with this too. An actual bank would be VERY nice for managing inventory.

ironhands
05-27-2013, 10:47 AM
I agree with this too. An actual bank would be VERY nice for managing inventory.

I think it'd be better served just by adding a bag sorting method on the character rather than going to the trouble of creating an entirely new banking mechanic. All people really need is a way to better sort their current inventory. Having a way to flag items as junk, salvage, or save, would also work well, especially if it were sorted into tabs

Hope499
05-27-2013, 10:48 AM
Loot boosts are worth it, that's about it lol.

And they need to add:

Flame or glowing auras around guys

trails left by cars (glowing pink dust trail...)

custom paint jobs

Zertael
05-27-2013, 11:30 AM
I threw an idea for the extended boosters up on the suggestions forum. Here's a link (http://forums.defiance.com/showthread.php?78384-30-day-boosters-(optional-subscription-in-disguise))

Keep the ideas coming. Despite my sarcastic bites in the OP I really would like to see more options and for Trion to make money to keep improving the game. <Insert joke about just how much room for improvement there is here>

Zertael
05-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Loot boosts are worth it, that's about it lol.

And they need to add:

Flame or glowing auras around guys

trails left by cars (glowing pink dust trail...)

custom paint jobs

While all of those things sound cool, they also all sound like they'd be absolute hell on people's computers during Arkfalls and such when you have a ton of people around.

Umbra Warrior
05-27-2013, 11:36 AM
They need unique items and I don't mean just special reskins. They need completely original outfits and vehicles. Like a 1971 Dodge Challenger or Stahma Tarr's bath outfit. Things like that people would be willing to buy. Cash shops should be about some convience items and cool, unique knick-knacks.

Zertael
05-27-2013, 11:39 AM
I agree, I think the reskins are rather lackluster and uninspiring.

Avril Parker
05-27-2013, 11:40 AM
I'd pay the initial game price once again to've a significant smarter EGO.

No kidding.

EGO-Smartpack-VoiceOver incl. Badass-Cutting-Remarks-DLC.
Sort of.

Zertael
05-27-2013, 11:57 AM

No kidding.

Sort of.

Ego underpifier? Amusing.

Avril Parker
05-27-2013, 12:02 PM
Like a Cortana-Advanced (Halo) having the mood-changes of the Sarah-VI (Eureka), with a flavour of the actual data-servicing provided by Jarvis (Stark Industries)

Umbra Warrior
05-27-2013, 12:04 PM

No kidding.

Sort of.

I don't blame the voice actress, I blame the game developers for only having her record like a page of lines. If they're going to stick you with an AI for god knows how long, then they probably should have had more than a days worth of recording of dialogue.

Avril Parker
05-27-2013, 12:05 PM
I don't blame the voice actress,...
I actually like the EGO's Voice.

Omnifarious Xji
05-27-2013, 12:06 PM
I want an aircraft. Make it happen Trion.

Opus
05-27-2013, 12:13 PM
Started off as an on-topic list, but added some additional wants/requests into it:

-- Unique outfits and headgear.
-- Headgear lite: Sunglasses, ballcaps, beanies, etc. The new wave industrial crap is getting old.
-- I'd also love it if headgear didn't change my toon's hair into a bleeping ponytail.
-- New hairstyles I can switch out when I get bored with what I have. And note I said 'new.' Not the ones we had to pick from in the tutorial.
-- New patterns/vanity mods for vehicles. Even if I have to buy a special vehicle to add them to. Wheels, hood emblems, decals, roll cages, neon lights, diff colored headlights, etc.
-- Weapon skins.
-- Visual FX/colors for weapons. Even if they get turned off for ark falls.
-- The chance to buy the male version of a normal outfit for my toon. I'd love to have had the male version of the Renegade outfit for my female toon, but instead, I'm stuck with the booty shorts. (Could also work for the men buying women's versions. :D )
-- Fast Travel points I could add to my map.
-- Different skinned - but more or less the same - enemy outfits. I'd love to run around in a true Dark Matter or 99er outfit. Give me the Goldrusher, but make it red or blue, etc.
-- Outfits that don't have f'in backpacks!
-- A mod cache/backpack/bank where I could store just mods that would get them out of my inventory and stop cluttering everything up.
-- Outfits I can customize. Let me buy a special outfit that I can then modify in the store. Like the starting infantry outfit. I can pick out a logo for the t-shirt, a color, diff patterned BDU bottoms, boots and headgear. It could even be in-game logos -- VBI, Echelon, Torc's Garage, Iron Demon Ranch, etc.

==

For the first time in quite a while, I'm at a place where I can buy game currency and not skip a meal. And I want to buy things from the cash shop. But there's almost nothing I want to buy. It's like, there will be an outfit and/or vehicle every big patch that I'll buy, but that's it.

fang1192
05-27-2013, 12:23 PM
-- Different skinned - but more or less the same - enemy outfits. I'd love to run around in a true Dark Matter or 99er outfit. Give me the Goldrusher, but make it red or blue, etc.

Dark Matter Disguise is my favorite mission, i wish i could blend in a little bit more - keeps the feel of the mission. So yes to enemy outfits.

God yes, half the outfits i consider buying are ruined by the giant *** backpack.

basis
05-27-2013, 12:27 PM
Opus has it right, a lot of people have the cash to spend, but nothing worthwhile to spend it on. Trion would be smart to take most of these ideas and try them out when possible. It's just more money for them. For me, a bank. For opus "more clothes and shoes" =).

24 Hour boost that you get robbed of with any server prob aren't gonna cut it.

Kleptobrainiac
05-27-2013, 12:47 PM
;) Refunds...

Zertael
05-27-2013, 12:49 PM
Started off as an on-topic list, but added some additional wants/requests into it:

-- Unique outfits and headgear.
-- Headgear lite: Sunglasses, ballcaps, beanies, etc. The new wave industrial crap is getting old.
-- I'd also love it if headgear didn't change my toon's hair into a bleeping ponytail.
-- New hairstyles I can switch out when I get bored with what I have. And note I said 'new.' Not the ones we had to pick from in the tutorial.
-- New patterns/vanity mods for vehicles. Even if I have to buy a special vehicle to add them to. Wheels, hood emblems, decals, roll cages, neon lights, diff colored headlights, etc.
-- Weapon skins.
-- Visual FX/colors for weapons. Even if they get turned off for ark falls.
-- The chance to buy the male version of a normal outfit for my toon. I'd love to have had the male version of the Renegade outfit for my female toon, but instead, I'm stuck with the booty shorts. (Could also work for the men buying women's versions. :D )
-- Fast Travel points I could add to my map.
-- A mod cache/backpack/bank where I could store just mods that would get them out of my inventory and stop cluttering everything up.
-- Outfits I can customize. Let me buy a special outfit that I can then modify in the store. Like the starting infantry outfit. I can pick out a logo for the t-shirt, a color, diff patterned BDU bottoms, boots and headgear. It could even be in-game logos -- VBI, Echelon, Torc's Garage, Iron Demon Ranch, etc.

==

For the first time in quite a while, I'm at a place where I can buy game currency and not skip a meal. And I want to buy things from the cash shop. But there's almost nothing I want to buy. It's like, there will be an outfit and/or vehicle every big patch that I'll buy, but that's it.

We are of a very like mind. I agree with almost all of these.

Zertael
05-27-2013, 12:57 PM
;) Refunds...

Sure! For $60 worth of bits you can buy a token for a full refund. :D

IntenseSpirit
05-27-2013, 01:09 PM
How about an apartment? Somewhere in a nice neighborhood with a good school for the wee ark hunters.

JBoneFX
05-27-2013, 01:30 PM
Most of the suggestions are great, I'd like an apartment or a place I can leave some shtako mods. I don't care if it takes up inventory, just let me separate the massive block out some.

Also I'd like to see some voice emotes I can 1 key bind.

'payback time b1tches'
'I got something for you to choke on'

just a toss out

Zertael
05-27-2013, 01:33 PM
How about an apartment? Somewhere in a nice neighborhood with a good school for the wee ark hunters.

I'm not really sure how player housing would fit in to Defiance. I can't think of a way to implement it that would be...good. It would just be a different place to stand around.

Zertael
05-27-2013, 01:36 PM
Most of the suggestions are great, I'd like an apartment or a place I can leave some shtako mods. I don't care if it takes up inventory, just let me separate the massive block out some.

Also I'd like to see some voice emotes I can 1 key bind.

'payback time b1tches'
'I got something for you to choke on'

just a toss out

I think due to the console versions they are wary of adding in a ton of keyboard binds. I don't see any reason not to for something like that though since it would have no effect on combat. I'd settle for some /emote style voice things.

Avril Parker
05-27-2013, 01:37 PM
... Refunds...

Actually, I'd like to've an option to hand stuff back to the shop, maybe for 1/2 the Bits I once obtained it.

Ninno20
05-27-2013, 01:37 PM
If Trion want money, and want to keep people happy. RARE mod packs. I bet thousands will be sold every minute + i may actually buy bits for the option of some good mods.

The mod catch just doesn't cut it, spews out so much crap.

Zertael
05-27-2013, 01:40 PM
Actually, I'd like to've an option to hand stuff back to the shop, maybe for 1/2 the Bits I once obtained it.

Since everything in the shop is an unlock rather than an actual item like you'd have in your inventory, I can't see this happening. It's really not needed.

Zertael
05-27-2013, 01:40 PM
If Trion want money, and want to keep people happy. RARE mod packs. I bet thousands will be sold every minute + i may actually buy bits for the option of some good mods.

That would be imbalancing, giving a large advantage to people spending money.

Avril Parker
05-27-2013, 01:44 PM
Since everything in the shop is an unlock rather than an actual item like you'd have in your inventory, I can't see this happening. It's really not needed.

It's just a basic thing, that feels horrible like hand-holding, if I'm not allowed to delete things out of my list of available items... sure vehicles and outfits do not count towards the inventory, but not being allowed to delete those... I don't like it.
It should be my decision what I want to keep and what not. Even counting for Shop-items.

But you're right, given their current implementation once you've bought them, and the fact they're crossed over all your characters, this option likely won't be done out of sole practicability.

Avril Parker
05-27-2013, 01:50 PM
To make a more constructive reply to the topic:

I'd like to see the Outfits partly seperated, so I can buy Boots and Backpacks on their own.
As reasoning example.... I really like the Drifter Outfit, but I don't like the way it looks when you run (female human), so I'd like to shield a small backpack, one like the CODA-Knight outfit got.

Edit: Ka-Tsching, double-post.

Jeff Kaos
05-27-2013, 02:05 PM
A better game. Or a patch that actually fixes stuff without breaking other stuff.

Zertael
05-27-2013, 02:12 PM
It's just a basic thing, that feels horrible like hand-holding, if I'm not allowed to delete things out of my list of available items... sure vehicles and outfits do not count towards the inventory, but not being allowed to delete those... I don't like it.
It should be my decision what I want to keep and what not. Even counting for Shop-items.

But you're right, given their current implementation once you've bought them, and the fact they're crossed over all your characters, this option likely won't be done out of sole practicability.

I think what would serve you better given what you've said is an option to tag items as "Favorites", which would then keep them at the top of whichever list (inventory, outfit, etc)

Zertael
05-27-2013, 02:13 PM
A better game. Or a patch that actually fixes stuff without breaking other stuff.

Thank you for your constructive post.

Avril Parker
05-27-2013, 02:19 PM
I think what would serve you better given what you've said is an option to tag items as "Favorites", which would then keep them at the top of whichever list (inventory, outfit, etc)
That would be nice to have too.
But I think I know that I want an option to actually delete anything I want.

Zertael
05-27-2013, 02:24 PM
That would be nice to have too.
But I think I know that I want an option to actually delete anything I want.

You specifically mentioned outfits. Many of them are obtained from pursuits, and thus only able to be unlocked once. The ability to delete them would result in tons of support tickets for people accidentally deleting the wrong outfit or other such.

Avril Parker
05-27-2013, 02:28 PM
You specifically mentioned outfits. Many of them are obtained from pursuits, and thus only able to be unlocked once. The ability to delete them would result in tons of support tickets for people accidentally deleting the wrong outfit or other such.
But why?
Hit delete, get asked if you really want to delete that item, let it even display the items name again.
If people then accept it, and the item is deleted, eh... can't help, people are stupid then.
But I guess there would be more than enough of those.

Zertael
05-27-2013, 02:31 PM
I'm not saying it's not a valid requested feature. I'm just saying that the cons outweigh the pros for Trion. It would cause more problems than it would solve, so I can't see it being implemented.

Avril Parker
05-27-2013, 02:34 PM
For Christ's sake, that's just another issue with modern gamers. Don't read what their screen tries to tell them, don't care, just mindlessly click and then whine to the support to've their own idiocy repaired.

That's why we can't have neat things.

But this's drifting apart from the initial topic, excuse.

Zabuza
05-27-2013, 02:40 PM
Scouters from DBZ

ironhands
05-28-2013, 07:26 AM
dirtbikes, please.

SYN BLACK XS
05-28-2013, 07:28 AM
Agreed with all OP suggestions, especially short shorts.

CrazyBard
05-28-2013, 07:53 AM
My wish list (many already been suggested):

Bank/Storage Space
Custom/Unique Challengers (or at least the pre-order red one)
Motorbikes and/or Jeeps
Custom paint jobs on vehicles
Re-usable Weapon Skins
Unlocks to allow unlimited weapon resets
Outfit Parts - like boots/gloves (and the ability to mix-match top/bottoms of different outfits)
Headgear that doesn't change/force hairstyle
Dye Packs (and the ability to customize outfits)
Haircuts
Makeovers (incl. Race)
Unique tattoos
Name Changes
Town Clothing (and the towns to go with them)
Player Housing
Clan Housing/Halls

FattyMcG33
05-28-2013, 07:58 AM
I'd like to see the same headgear no matter what you're character race/gender is. I'd like to get the tophat on my female avatar, but it's only Male Irath. The female one has a headband instead of the hat. And the humans don't even get that from what I understand.

Hammer Strike
05-28-2013, 08:00 AM
Bank/storage.
Support drops/help

ironhands
05-28-2013, 08:09 AM
My wish list (many already been suggested):

Bank/Storage Space
Custom/Unique Challengers (or at least the pre-order red one)
Motorbikes and/or Jeeps
Custom paint jobs on vehicles
Re-usable Weapon Skins
Unlocks to allow unlimited weapon resets
Outfit Parts - like boots/gloves (and the ability to mix-match top/bottoms of different outfits)
Headgear that doesn't change/force hairstyle
Dye Packs (and the ability to customize outfits)
Haircuts
Makeovers (incl. Race)
Unique tattoos
Name Changes
Town Clothing (and the towns to go with them)
Player Housing
Clan Housing/Halls

Town clothing would make sense for things like gloves, boots, tats, etc, but they would cause issues in the actual playfields. The additional data for each piece of the outfits would increase the traffic by a fair bit, which we already know is sent low-priority from the clones we often see at arkfalls. Right now, if we have 100 people at an arkfall, we're sent code like:
p1:name:race:weapon:gender:head:hat:outfit:eyes:sk in:
p2:name:race:weapon:gender:head:hat:outfit:eyes:sk in:
p3:name:race:weapon:gender:head:hat:outfit:eyes:sk in:
etc..
if it were to add the additional date, we'd be dealing with
p1:name:race:weapon:gender:head:hat:shirt:shirtdye :tattoo:gloves:glovedye:boots:bootdye:jacket:jacke tdye:pants:pandye:eyes:skin:
p2:name:race:weapon:gender:head:hat:shirt:shirtdye :tattoo:gloves:glovedye:boots:bootdye:jacket:jacke tdye:pants:pandye:eyes:skin:
p3:name:race:weapon:gender:head:hat:shirt:shirtdye :tattoo:gloves:glovedye:boots:bootdye:jacket:jacke tdye:pants:pandye:eyes:skin:

As you can see, we're nearly doubling the amount of data for each character. When a game like Defiance requires positional data several times a second, little things like that become very critical (which is why we see everyone the same sometimes - it's more important to know where people are, than what they look like). In a game like Rift, positional data is not nearly as time-sensitive so it's more flexible, and easier to implement additional outfit options.

However, thinking about it now, I'm wondering if they could accomplish this by caching the entire appearance database on the client side... when you Login, transfer the entire batch of who looks like what, and then only update any changes to the database whenever you reach a respawn point. At worst, the players would see an older appearance of a player, instead of clones.

Thinking about this...Wow, that could actually greatly improve the latency and remove the need for a lot of the low-priority packets.... It would require a little re-coding of the client... but would open up a lot of flexibility.

alred
05-28-2013, 08:47 AM
weapon skins
Now that is interesting. Hang some feathers from the front site of my bright pink cluster shot...

Though tracking such things might be hard. Currently I have 4 cluster shotguns sitting in my inventory. 2 or maxed out, one is part way.
I just wish resetting the skill points wasn't so expensive.

Zertael
05-28-2013, 02:28 PM
However, thinking about it now, I'm wondering if they could accomplish this by caching the entire appearance database on the client side... when you Login, transfer the entire batch of who looks like what, and then only update any changes to the database whenever you reach a respawn point. At worst, the players would see an older appearance of a player, instead of clones.

Thinking about this...Wow, that could actually greatly improve the latency and remove the need for a lot of the low-priority packets.... It would require a little re-coding of the client... but would open up a lot of flexibility.

That would mean that changes to your appearance would not show up for other players until they restart their client, and maybe even not until a daily resend of that file. It wouldn't be very practical. I can't see clothing dyes going into the game anyway. You have to make your textures with that in mind from the start, and then have all of the code for handling the color separately.

I am hearing a lot of calls for more appearance options though, and I agree.

Archangel
05-28-2013, 02:36 PM
Might be to OP but i would love for a legendary only lock box that can only be used on the bit store that has the ability to drop a random legendary and or maybe a high level mod.

not like legendaries are super OP so it would be a pay to win. You just save time in farming endless keys.

Make this lock box cost 1,000 bits or something to the tune of $10.

I dont think many people will want to drop $100 for the off chance they dont get the right legendary btu it would be nice to have it there from time to time.

Example. I still am needing to find a legendary shield mod and grenade mod for the ego pursuit. I could trade with someone who has one for a one time thing but i would rather own my own.

Vs's spending real $$ on the off chance that i wont ever see an orange i would like to spend just a bit (no pun intended) more to guarantee me getting 1 random orange. Be it shield, grenade, or weapon.

That and throw in a synergy mod box to buy.

One that drops 3 synergy mods at random. Its hard to not only find the right synergy mod but also find it for the right weapon type. This being in the bit store to save time and earn Trion some cash would be a good thing. Why? Cause i would drop $100 just to find a orange Mass Launcher with the right synergy with it.

Zertael
05-28-2013, 02:37 PM
My wish list (many already been suggested)

Updated OP to reflect more of these.

Keep the ideas coming, people. Just remember that these ideas as for the cash shop, not general additions to the game.

Zertael
05-28-2013, 02:41 PM
Might be to OP but i would love for a legendary only lock box that can only be used on the bit store that has the ability to drop a random legendary and or maybe a high level mod. ... Cause i would drop $100 just to find a orange Mass Launcher with the right synergy with it.

That's pay-to-win, straight up. Cash shop items should in no way affect the power of your character or their items unless there is an equal way to get the same benefit by playing the game. (Lockboxes - can be purchased in the cash shop but also using in game resources)

Logan70
05-28-2013, 02:55 PM

I know this is off topic, but man, I can't stop laughing at your forum avatar. :cool:

Shada Mori
05-28-2013, 03:24 PM
More outfits, more vehicles. Can't have enough of these. Boosts that don't expire in real time. Character customization options (Race, Face, and Name changes).

Things that shouldn't be added... super weapons, super mods, anything that gives a player a huge advantage over another.

ironhands
05-28-2013, 03:40 PM
That would mean that changes to your appearance would not show up for other players until they restart their client, and maybe even not until a daily resend of that file. It wouldn't be very practical. I can't see clothing dyes going into the game anyway. You have to make your textures with that in mind from the start, and then have all of the code for handling the color separately.

I am hearing a lot of calls for more appearance options though, and I agree.

Did you miss where I said "update when you reach a respawn point"?

This way, you'd only see players as the default if you're in the middle of nowhere, or an arkfall, and someone who hasn't played in 24 hours runs to you before you you see a respawn point. Even then, you could flag the person as "hasn't logged in for 24 hours" and force an update, or just have them revert to the default player, or a random option. there are lots of ways to do it for that particular instance that wouldn't compromise it, even if it meant downloading the past 7 days of active players instead of 24.

Zertael
05-28-2013, 05:09 PM
I did miss that, here anyway. I saw it on your suggestions post. I have to wonder what potential problems there would be doing it that way. The default people running around everywhere certainly is annoying though.

shadowkin
05-28-2013, 05:13 PM
Hair styles, and in game barber to change to owned hairstyles includig defaults

Arsenic_Touch
05-28-2013, 05:17 PM
A customizable armor and headgear set for like 2,000 bits that you can change in game at special vendors for scrip and ark salvage.
Something where you can change the colour schemes and remove sections and what not.
Make different base skins and allow the community to design our own.
I would be my favorite body part if they did this, their bit sales would go up, especially if they released many different base outfits that can be altered and customized by the player. That way you don't have to waste time recolour the same outfits like you already do and we can have something that actually looks unique.

Trench coats. Though I would hope these would be obtainable in game without bits.

ironhands
05-28-2013, 05:20 PM
I did miss that, here anyway. I saw it on your suggestions post. I have to wonder what potential problems there would be doing it that way. The default people running around everywhere certainly is annoying though.

the main issues could potentially be the size of the storage on the client machine, and size of the initial database download, though, it wouldn't be more than one byte per option, and a few bytes for the player ID, even the entire database (assuming 1 million characters) shouldn't be more than 20-30mb. The other drawback, would then be as you said, people popping in before the database has refreshed, or people changing outfits while in front of you, but even that could be compensated for. instead of sending the player id, and updated player information package to everyone, it could push an "i updated 30 seconds ago" packet when they update, and each client could then query the server after checking if it already has the latest version. this would still allow most of the outfit/appearance code to be removed, instead of just transmitting it when you first encounter a player (which is how i suspect it's being done).

even so, should an issues crop up, such as not being able to locate a given players appearance, default it, or randomize it. shouldn't be any worse then it is now.

badhabit
05-28-2013, 05:24 PM
weapon skins/colours

armor colour change

character name change

and maybe a token to respec

cheers !