PDA

View Full Version : First person view?

kappa
03-23-2013, 01:13 PM
Where is the first person view option? Why am I stuck in third person all the time? Without at least the option to switch to first person view I and many, many others will NEVER buy/pay anything for this game.

TheShiningLily
03-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Where is the first person view option? Why am I stuck in third person all the time? Without at least the option to switch to first person view I and many, many others will NEVER buy/pay anything for this game.

Remember this is also an MMO not just a shooter. In many games you want the third person view during raids and instances to ensure that nothing is happening around you or your group that the first person view wouldn't show.

kappa
03-23-2013, 01:27 PM
Remember this is also an MMO not just a shooter. In many games you want the third person view during raids and instances to ensure that nothing is happening around you or your group that the first person view wouldn't show.

Well that's why it would be an option to switch back and forth, personally I would always play in 1st person, but my situational awareness is just that good! I really think trion is shooting themselves in the foot here as without at least first person optional alot of people including myself will not even consider buying or playing the game.

Metaljunkie
03-23-2013, 01:28 PM
It's been described as a third person shooter from the beginning so why are you trying to make it into something it isn't.

kappa
03-23-2013, 01:38 PM
It's been described as a third person shooter from the beginning so why are you trying to make it into something it isn't.

Actually I did not know that as every time I saw the game referenced it was as an mmofps which of course it cannot possibly be without the first person part. If they would like to make the game successful I am strongly suggesting at least the option to switch into first person view mode.

Synder
03-23-2013, 01:47 PM

Really? People will "NEVER" buy a game like this? Then lets use as a example... Why does World of Warcraft have MILLIONS of users after all this time?

Yonpachi
03-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Bitch please http://i.imgur.com/Hdruv.png, go buy a rifle and put sniper scope on that.
Right click, and you got your FPS via your scope

Honestly, I'm more comfortable playing this game in TPS, FPS you wont know your surroundings except from minimap

kappa
03-23-2013, 01:53 PM
Really? People will "NEVER" buy a game like this? Then lets use as a example... Why does World of Warcraft have MILLIONS of users after all this time?
Mr. Synder, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

Yonpachi
03-23-2013, 01:54 PM
Mr. Synder, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul.

http://emos.plurk.com/84e1a2ded0402bad021a05db51fac383_w48_h38.gif

kappa
03-23-2013, 01:55 PM
Bitch please http://i.imgur.com/Hdruv.png, go buy a rifle and put sniper scope on that.
Right click, and you got your FPS via your scope

Honestly, I'm more comfortable playing this game in TPS, FPS you wont know your surroundings except from minimap

But doesn't using the right click slow down all your movement speed, kinda defeats the purpose if you can't run and jump normally etc...

Also, you just need to improve your situational awareness if you don't know whats going on around you in an fps, i.e. look around more!

Synder
03-23-2013, 02:00 PM

Wow.. ripping off a lame quote from a Adam Sandler movie? really? Lame man, just lame. YOU said no one would buy a game like this. I pointed out the FACTS that there are MANY MMO's out there with a HUGE PAYING fanbase. Even DCUO has hundreds of thousands of users at any given point online. And guess what? NO First person mode. So if there is no first person mode in this game, and there WONT be, then you wont be playing? GOOD! Thats just one less noob for the fanbase to have listen whine all the time.

So, I've feed the troll enough for one day, I wont care enough to return to this thread to read the no doubt idiotic reply you will leave. So, sheww troll.. back under your bridge.

kappa
03-23-2013, 02:08 PM
Wow.. ripping off a lame quote from a Adam Sandler movie? really? Lame man, just lame. YOU said no one would buy a game like this. I pointed out the FACTS that there are MANY MMO's out there with a HUGE PAYING fanbase. Even DCUO has hundreds of thousands of users at any given point online. And guess what? NO First person mode. So if there is no rirst person mode in this game, and the WONT be, then you wont be playing? GOOD one less noob for the fanbase to have listen whine.

No you used World of Warcraft as an example. A game that other than having multiple players on the screen has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING IN COMMON WITH THIS GAME. Hence the quote as you brought nothing of worth to the discussion, still have not brought anything worthwhile to the discussion, and likely won't bring anything worthwhile to the discussion in the future.

I am merely asking for the option for first person as this seems like a game I would like to play, but without it I will not. No need to feel threatened by this.

Salgod
03-23-2013, 02:11 PM

lmao always hilarious

Hollywood
03-23-2013, 02:13 PM
No it doesn't have first person.
Should it? Yes.
Is the excuse that it's an MMOFPS related game be valid? No. Why? See reference Fallen Earth, Firefall, Planetside 2 and in terms of strictly MMOs, see reference EVERY MMO that's ever had a first person view.

I don't know why people like to respond with unhelpful and pointless remarks, but they do.

Your best option is to simply mention it on every bit of feedback or surveys they put out there.

Actually your best option is to just play Firefall.

Mindfix
03-23-2013, 02:17 PM

GoW series, ME series all seem to do fine without a first person view. I think this game will survive just fine.

XM193
03-23-2013, 02:17 PM
Just what we need, yet another FPS! There haven't been NEARLY enough of those this gen, especially when it comes to MMO shooters.

If you don't like it go play an FPS MMO, this one is TPS. Deal with it or move on.

Roar
03-23-2013, 02:26 PM
Just what we need, yet another FPS! There haven't been NEARLY enough of those this gen, especially when it comes to MMO shooters.

If you don't like it go play an FPS MMO, this one is TPS. Deal with it or move on.
This, this, a thousand times this.

SteveMND
03-23-2013, 02:44 PM
While I think the OP is rather prone to exaggeration, I do think the lack of FPS mode will indeed be a sore point for many potential players. Now personally, I prefer third-person perspective myself, but in a game that is described as a 'pixel-perfect shooter,' the lack of FPS mode can cause some other issues.

Specifically, you don't necessarily always hit what you are in fact aiming at. This is because in a TPS system, your presented target and your actual shot angle are completely different. Despite what you are aiming at, your attacks actually come from a point to your vantage point's left and slightly lower.

This can be easily seen in-game by having your character hiding behind a wall... you can lean out to the obstacle's right, get a perfectly clean, perfectly-accurate cross hair directly on an opponent, and do absolutely nothing to him because your gun (that's over to the left and down a bit) is firing shots into the cinder block wall you are peering out from behind. The same can be seen with low walls you are shooting over (highway dividers seem to be just the right height to obstruct otherwise cross-hair accurate shots over them).

Conversely, as a result of the avatar's placement, if you are looking out past an obstacle to the right at something, you may well have complete cover from them, yet doing the exact same thing to the left could similarly leave your guy completely exposed.

Is this a critical issue? Probably not, no. But is it something I think the devs should have thought about? Definitely. Heck, even most third-person MMOs out there tend to have the avatar more to the center than way out to the left. I'm not sure if I want to buy the game yet, but the forced over-the-shoulder perspective used here is most assuredly a mark in the 'cons' column of the paper for me. Time will tell whether or not that one mark against it will be a deciding factor.

A s0t
03-23-2013, 02:52 PM
my 2 cents:
the thing about 3rd person is when they do a first person view; like night vision on splinter cell its my character eyes looking through them not my eye, what is my tv all green for?
situation awareness? lies all of them, i was backing up and i got stuck some how, and got downed.
your character takes up an 1/8 of the screen not as bad as gow though

Psychometrics
03-23-2013, 02:55 PM
owell, I think they are quite aware it may not be up to a fps fan's expectations just like it may not be everyone's cup of tea who plays standard mmorpgs. I mean its inevitable considering it is an mmorpg...but as a mmotps.

they'll have people going OMG a new sci-fi mmorpg!..oh its a shooter. OR OMG a new shooter! Oh, its third person. lol
can't please everyone, and whats certain is they've already accumulated a fan base to keep them afloat. so a handful of people not happy with trivial options, doesn't quite put a dent in their paycheck lol if majority is happy, they are happy
l

Hollywood
03-23-2013, 02:57 PM
First person aside, they could make the third person feel a bit more snappy.
At the moment it lags like when you drive a racing game in chase cam. No matter how quick you are, your brain and hands just do not sync properly with that type of view.

What's worse is Defiance has some pretty noticeable delay and the mechanics of the scope/zoom are lazy as well.

If they could tighten all that up a bit, the third person wouldn't feel so bad.

Having said that, everyone fails to consider that it should have been at least an option. Me playing in first POV, wouldn't hurt anyone else playing in third. In fact in the majority of general shooting games(by general I mean non hard simulation like the ARMA series), third person comes with severe advantages, like being able to look around corners, or above objects etc.

The only reason I would think that's logical for them not to include first person is because on gamepads(especially with control systems that use acceleration instead of raw input), first person can be very clunky.

Yet then I argue with myself and say that Socom and many other console games had first person and did fine.

gjwhite66
03-23-2013, 03:00 PM
Actually I did not know that as every time I saw the game referenced it was as an mmofps which of course it cannot possibly be without the first person part. If they would like to make the game successful I am strongly suggesting at least the option to switch into first person view mode.

I have to correct you here, sir. This game has NEVER been referred to as an mmofps, it has always been an mmoTps. And to say that they are shooting themselves in the foot for not having a FPS option is to say the same thing of every TPS game ever made. Pretty sure games like Gears of War have done just fine with such a fatal game design flaw.

Hollywood
03-23-2013, 03:02 PM
I have to correct you here, sir. This game has NEVER been referred to as an mmofps, it has always been an mmoTps. And to say that they are shooting themselves in the foot for not having a FPS option is to say the same thing of every TPS game ever made. Pretty sure games like Gears of War have done just fine with such a fatal game design flaw.

Wth is an MMOTps? Don't tell me the T stands for tactical (laugh...)

Lord people need to stop with the terminology. It's a game, with guns, and you shoot stuff alongside other people.

Works for me.

Khunter
03-23-2013, 03:03 PM
I wouldn't have minded a first person view the first time I played, but I'm starting to get used to it now. Also taken directly from the "What is Defiance" on the homepage..

An Evolving Online World

Fight for survival in a constantly evolving environment with regular content updates and dynamic events. Play solo, or join tens of thousands of simultaneous live players in a futuristic San Francisco Bay Area thatís a fully-realized open world. Youíve never imagined a 3rd-person shooter this huge.

Truth be told I probably wouldn't have bothered had I read that beforehand but I would also be missing out on a pretty good game.

TheShiningLily
03-23-2013, 03:04 PM
This is just my opinion but aren't these things something we need to be leaving in the feedback by pushing right on the d-pad? Explain to them what you are finding about bullets hitting walls and avatar orientation when it comes to aiming (not from a scope). That is what this is about, this beta test now that the latency issue has been resolved. Maybe it has already been corrected in later builds (since this build is reportedly months old). Or better yet take it to the beta sub-forum on this site if you don't want to use the provided medium in game.

I thought they didn't want people just camping behind cover (even with snipers) but running and gunning all the time. I find sitting still to long to be a death sentence with shotgunners, cleavers and riflemen all working together.

Psychometrics
03-23-2013, 03:05 PM

Lord people need to stop with the terminology. It's a game, with guns, and you shoot stuff alongside other people.

Works for me.

terminology is great when you have a game to sell. if they said new mmofps!!!!!! they'd attract people who like fps, an audience that would be obviously lied to. false advertising is always a bad move lol

gjwhite66
03-23-2013, 03:06 PM

TPS= Third-Person Shooter, FPS= First-Person Shooter. And for good measure, MMO= Massively Multiplayer Online.

Yay for happy fun acronym time

gjwhite66
03-23-2013, 03:08 PM
terminology is great when you have a game to sell. if they said new mmofps!!!!!! they'd attract people who like fps, an audience that would be obviously lied to. false advertising is always a bad move lol

My point was this game has never been advertised as a first person shooter. Can't say they falsely advertised a feature that they have never once advertised. The OP was unfortunately misinformed.

Psychometrics
03-23-2013, 03:11 PM
My point was this game has never been advertised as a first person shooter. Can't say they falsely advertised a feature that they have never once advertised. The OP was unfortunately misinformed.

what does OP stand for btw? overpowered? o.o

also, I know they never advertised it as a fps xP I'm just explaining why its important to get those little acronyms right, because if they ever had said mmofps that would be false advertising. just stressing the importance of what may seem silly as actually pretty smart.

TheShiningLily
03-23-2013, 03:12 PM
what does OP stand for btw? overpowered? o.o

Original Post.

Psychometrics
03-23-2013, 03:16 PM
Original Post.

ahh okay! lol makes sense haha I only ever hear OP being used to say overpowered xP so I felt like I was out of the loop on this one

Dixa
03-23-2013, 03:19 PM
there are three sub types to the mmo genre - mmorpg, mmofps, mmotps

mmorpg - massively multiplayer online role-playing game - is what everyone has seen. this is everquest, ultima online, meridian 59, world of warcraft, champions online, swtor, star trek online, etc.

mmofps - massively multiplayer first person shooter - there aren't many. planetside series is one as is arma. blacklight retribution and tribes do not qualify for the first M in mmofps, making them mofps.

mmotps - massively multplayer third person shooter - you have apb, you had tabula rasa and now you have defiance

for the first M to apply to the game is must have a persistent world. if the only time you interact with another player is in an instanced arena, that's not a massively multiplayer online game.

gjwhite66
03-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Haha, acronym overload gone wild. But I see your point, it's easy to mix them up, especially when using different fonts. And also since most people have seen the term FPS, TPS is normally fully spelled out.

Kirinian
03-23-2013, 03:20 PM
I loved the third person on SOCOM on the PS2.. it would be nice if trion would give us that view instead of the over the shoulder.. i have never really liked the over the shoulder views, especially when trying to peek around cover..

TheShiningLily
03-23-2013, 03:21 PM
I loved the third person on SOCOM on the PS2.. it would be nice if trion would give us that view instead of the over the shoulder.. i have never really liked the over the shoulder views, especially when trying to peek around cover..

Your not suppose to peak around cover! Go in with guns blazing! COME ON YOU APES! DO YOU WANT TO LIVE FOREVER?

HexSlinger
03-23-2013, 03:23 PM
Lol, I'm on 360, and um... ever heard of gears of war, which, oddly enough, has no first person short of the sniper scope? and its doing just fine for itself lol